Another day, another airline fee

Sargent_Schultz

I wouldn't pay it, I would get my aisle seat in a free row and then I would just wait. They have to give those seats to somebody. On our last flight with JetBlue, which also charges extra for the emergency exit, they begged my daughter and I to change to the exit row, because nobody opted to pay extra and there were a bunch of families with small children and all that was left was the exit row.

American Airlines moves you to the front, for a price

The fee range appears to be $19 for shorter flights, $29 for medium-length flights and $39 for transcontinental and Hawaii flights.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/08/american-airlines-moves-you-to.html

The only real benefit, I suppose, is getting first crack at the overhead bins ... since so few airlines, if any, police the carryon policy as to sizes and numbers, those bins do fill before the seats do.

But, no, I wouldn't pay more for the FIFO (first on first off). Yet another ploy to reduce the red ink on the bottom line.

No 88% 49148

Yes 12% 6994

I wonder whether the Express Seats will account for as much as 12% of the cabin? If they don't, there might be more people who want them than there are Express Seats.

Anyway, it's much like Southwest's early boarding scheme, which also involves paying a fee to the airline.

But at least with AA, once you have your seat allocation you don't have to turn up at the gate obssessively early to stand in the playground queue. If you're not bothered about overhead space, you can turn up any time before the gate closes and still have the seat you've been allocated.

American Airlines moves you to the front, for a price

The fee range appears to be $19 for shorter flights, $29 for medium-length flights and $39 for transcontinental and Hawaii flights.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/08/american-airlines-moves-you-to.html

The seats that they are selling for an additional price have more space!

See http://www.seatguru.com

The seats that they are selling for an additional price have more space!

See www.seatguru.com

Not all of them; only the exit rows and bulkheads have more room. The rest of them are just closer to the front of the economy section.

I don't know why anyone cares about these fees. No one is forced to pay them.

The pitch is the legroom.

Below is copied from seatguru, regarding a United flight that offers their Economy Plus seats for an additional charge.

The first number is the pitch.

Second number is the width.

3rd identifies how many of these seats on this particular plane.

First Class: 78.0" 21.5" 12 Flat bed seats

Business Class: 55.0" 20.5" 49 Standard seats

Economy Plus Class: 34-36.0" 18.0" 77 seats

Economy Class: 31.0" 18.0" 114 seats

Below is copied from seatguru' date=' regarding a [b']United flight[/b] that offers their Economy Plus seats for an additional charge.

This is NOT the same as United's E+ section. This is charging more for the first rows of the regular Economy section.

Below is copied from seatguru' date=' regarding a United flight that offers their Economy Plus seats for an additional charge.

The first number is the pitch.

Second number is the width.

3rd identifies how many of these seats on this particular plane.

First Class: 78.0" 21.5" 12 Flat bed seats

Business Class: 55.0" 20.5" 49 Standard seats

Economy Plus Class: 34-36.0" 18.0" 77 seats

Economy Class: 31.0" 18.0" 114 seats

**********************************[/quote']

There is NO E+ section on AA. They tried "more room through coach" with a slightly higher price tag. It was a money looser-Americans generally buy THE CHEAPEST airfare, no matter what. AA put the seats they removed back in.

As PennyAgain posted, elites don't pay for ANY seat, elites can book the exit rows based on availability ANYTIME with no fee, top tier elites sit up front often free gratis and most elites are almost always able to upgrade. Loyalty DOES have its benefits.

That elite status DOES NOT have to come exclusively from flying AA. DH is approaching lifetime Gold status-85-90% of the miles DID NOT come from flying.

This was posted to be information on something AA is doing.

It seems to have become a commercial for favorite airlines.

Since I don’t see where Southwest, Delta, Jet Blue or any one else is the topic, I will close it.

Archived