Help needed choosing itinerary for first Mediterranean cruise

Hi there,

I have never been to Europe and I'm planning my first Mediterranean cruise for summer of 2011.

I would like advice/info from anyone who has visited these ports to help me choose an itinerary. I have it narrowed down to two:

1. Celebrity Equinox 11 nights

Rome.....5:00 p.m.

Sea

Santorini....2 p.m.-10 p.m.

Athens......7 a.m.- 6 p.m.

Sea

Istanbul....7 a.m.......

Istanbul ............... 2 p.m.

Ephesus....10 a.m.- 8 p.m.

Mykonos....7 a.m.- 6 p.m.

Sea

Naples.......7 a.m.-6:30 p.m.

Rome........ 4:30 a.m.

2. RC Brilliance of the Seas 12 nights

Barcelona.......5 p.m.

Nice.............. 10 a.m.- 8 p.m.

Florence......... 7 a.m.- 7 p.m.

Rome............ 7 a.m.- 7 p.m.

Sea

Sea

Athens.......... 7 a.m.- 6 p.m.

Ephesus......... 8 a.m.- 7 p.m.

Santorini......... 7 a.m.- 6 p.m.

Sea

Naples............7 a.m.- 7 p.m.

Sea

Barcelona......... 6 a.m.

I am leaning towards the first one because I am drawn to Istanbul. Many ports are the same. But, it comes down to Mykonos and Istanbul (with an overnight) on Celebrity vs. Barcelona, Nice, and Florence with RC.

Thoughts?? Info to consider???:confused:

Thanks in advance:)

progress.gif

Both itineraries sound lovely, and I can't imagine you'd go wrong with either.

I did the BR 12-night you described, and it was a trip of a lifetime. It has the benefits of combining the Western Mediterranean with the Greek Isles. Florence is a wonder.

Note that there is a very strong chance that you will not be able to stop at Mykonos. Our cruise didn't, due to poor water conditions. This is a common problem, and I believe I read somewhere that over 50% of cruises with Mykonos on their itineraries are unable to stop there. I would guess this is why it's no longer on the BR itinerary.

While both itineraries are wonderful and Equinox a newer, spectacular ship, for a first Med cruise I'd go with Brilliance. Florence and Pisa are not to be missed and sailing out of Barcelona is so much easier/less stressful than Rome. Especially for a first-timer.

Taking the ship out of the equation it would be itinerary 2 for me every day of the week.

A cruise starting and finishing in Rome (well bear in mind that it is not actuallyRome) potentially will not give you much opportuntiy to see one of the world's great cities unless you are spending time in Rome pre or post cruise. It is quite a way from Civitavecchia Port to Rome, whereas central Barcelona is close to the port.

Equally, two nights in Istanbul, whilst being interesting would not necessarily appeal. The only possible plus I can see on the first itinerary is Mykonos, but as the others on this thread has said you would then be losing Florence, another uutterly stunning city.

So it boils down to whether the ship or itinerary is what motivates you........ and of course the price.

Have done both these itineraries but I have to agree that Brilliance would be my first choice if this is a first Med cruise.

Seeing Rome, Florence and Naples is wonderful, so much culture, architecture and beauty. And Athens another favourite. I would take Santorini over Mykonos any day as well.

I'm sure no matter which one you choose you will love it and be booking the other one for another time. Enjoy

I don't think so necessarily.

I think it is a reasonable "given" that the Brilliance has a superior itinerary but is not quite in the same class as a ship as the Equinox.

Celebrity cruisers are intelligent and rational enough to view it that way, surely?

Brilliance has a day time visit to Santorini where the Equinox is late afternoon, evening. The Brilliance is a wonderful ship, been on it twice. We did the Brilliance with the overnight in Venice. WONDERFUL!!!

To the OP...I booked a Med. cruise on the Brilliance for next summer.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the Ephesus port I'm guessing you can take an excursion to Istanbul. (since you were interested in spending time there)

When it comes down to it, I'm sure either cruise will be wonderful...you have to decide which ports are most important to you. Good luck in your decision!

I would choose to go out of Rome only if you planned on staying in the city for a few days prior or after. Going out of BCN would probably be cheaper and is definitely an easier transfer to the port.

We also missed Mykonos due to rough seas.

I wouldn't do any Med cruise...in the summer! I booked the Equinox with the same itinerary for October 2011. Ships that stop in Civitavecchia spend ~12 hours there. A ship sailing from Civitavecchia allows you to spend time in Rome (or other cities in Italy) before or after the cruise - which is what we will do.

I don't think so necessarily.

I think it is a reasonable "given" that the Brilliance has a superior itinerary but is not quite in the same class as a ship as the Equinox.

Celebrity cruisers are intelligent and rational enough to view it that way, surely?

It certainly ISN'T a "given" that the Brilliance has a superior itinerary!

I would choose the Equinox itinerary. Rome and Florence are great cities but due to travel times I don't think that they are good cruise stops, they are much better seen on land visits. It it is possible for you to spend a couple of days precruise you would have a much better visit to Rome than on a cruise day.

It certainly ISN'T a "given" that the Brilliance has a superior itinerary!

OK for you, what part of the itinerary is superior on the Equinox?

Just curious, because, as a European I can't see what would be better about the Equinox apart from Mykonos as Ephesus would be more interesting I think than Istanbul for me anyway

OK for you, what part of the itinerary is superior on the Equinox?

Just curious, because, as a European I can't see what would be better about the Equinox apart from Mykonos as Ephesus would be more interesting I think than Istanbul for me anyway

I don't think one itinerary is superior to the other. What makes the Equinox a better choice for us is that we want to go to both Istanbul and Ephesus, and Equinox goes to both. I would rather spend several days in Rome pre or post-cruise than try to see it on a one-day tour from Civitavecchia.

*You edited your post while I was composing mine!

I don't think one itinerary is superior to the other. What makes the Equinox a better choice for us is that we want to go to both Istanbul and Ephesus, and Equinox goes to both. I would rather spend several days in Rome pre or post-cruise than try to see it on a one-day tour from Civitavecchia.

Well Nancy, you will note that on my original post on this thread I did make that point, however it isn't always possible to do it the way you would for everyone due to financial or time constraints. I actually agree that you can't really appreciate fully Rome in one day, but seeing some of this fantastic city would be better than seeing none of it.

For me though to lose Florence out of an itinerary would be a massive shame, and I would rather do one day Rome, and ensure that I had Florence.

Well Nancy, you will note that on my original post on this thread I did make that point, however it isn't always possible to do it the way you would for everyone due to financial or time constraints. I actually agree that you can't really appreciate fully Rome in one day, but seeing some of this fantastic city would be better than seeing none of it.

For me though to lose Florence out of an itinerary would be a massive shame, and I would rather do one day Rome, and ensure that I had Florence.

I can't imagine flying to any European city for a cruise and not spending at least one overnight there before boarding the ship. I realize people do it all the time, but that's their loss.

Florence is a deal-breaker for you, and Istanbul is one for us. We can visit Florence while we're in Italy for a cruise departing from Civitavecchia. It's pretty hard to visit Istanbul unless you are already in Turkey.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but for the Ephesus port I'm guessing you can take an excursion to Istanbul. (since you were interested in spending time there)

You wouldn't have time to go to Istanbul from Ephesus unless you flew, because they are 228 miles apart.

I think you may have answered your own question. It seems like you have an interest in Istanbul so if that is a place you want to see, do it.

When we booked our Med cruise that we took last year, I wanted to include a stop in Egypt so my wife could see the Pyramids (she has had along time interest in seeing them) and secondary both of us could see Athens. I found a cruise that included both at the time of year that worked for both of us work-wise.

Archived