Bodden tours

lvcruzers

When she flat out lies to you she is not an angle. Am I an ugly American for asking to go the the flea market in Coxen Hole rather than her friends shop. I guess some of us ugly americans are smart enough to know when we are being had.

I have been in and out of Coxen hole a fair amount.. I know what a flea market is and I can tell you there is no such thing in Coxen Hole.

With that said there is shopping in Coxen Hole..maybe you were looking for something other than what the shops sell, so the driver took you to the best option.

Boot and bonnet don't mean the same thing in America as they do in England, perhaps it was just language that was throwing her off.

Course, I am one of the people who lives in a world where I choose to believe the very best of people. *sigh*

We also used Bodden Tours. Our guide was Channin Bodden and I can not sing his praises enough. Really great guy. Took us everywhere we wanted to go and then some. Very informative about the Island. I would highly recommend him. The Island itself is beautiful. I would really like to go back for a weak.

I'm with you! I'd like to go back for a week and might plan to do so soon. It's such a beautiful island. I also love the fact that there isn't lots and lots to do and see on this island so if you go for a week I can only imagine how much relaxation and just enjoying the true beauty of a place can be had.

I have been in and out of Coxen hole a fair amount.. I know what a flea market is and I can tell you there is no such thing in Coxen Hole.

With that said there is shopping in Coxen Hole..maybe you were looking for something other than what the shops sell, so the driver took you to the best option.

Boot and bonnet don't mean the same thing in America as they do in England, perhaps it was just language that was throwing her off.

Course, I am one of the people who lives in a world where I choose to believe the very best of people. *sigh*

So, not sure of what each individuals idea is of a flea market. However, we docked in Coxen Hole in 2009 and found that the shops in the terminal area were just that shops. But once outside of this immediate area we saw what we would consider a flea market with lots of stalls/vendors. So, in my opinion, there is definitely a flea market in Coxen Hole. I wish we had more time there but we had an amazing experience exploring the remainder of the island with our wonderful tour guide Tex from Victor Bodden tours.:)

So, not sure of what each individuals idea is of a flea market. However, we docked in Coxen Hole in 2009 and found that the shops in the terminal area were just that shops. But once outside of this immediate area we saw what we would consider a flea market with lots of stalls/vendors. So, in my opinion, there is definitely a flea market in Coxen Hole. I wish we had more time there but we had an amazing experience exploring the remainder of the island with our wonderful tour guide Tex from Victor Bodden tours.:)

Indeed, I can see where this may apply. Thank you Chloedmom.

From my perspective, that bit of Coxen Hole is shops overflowing in to the sidewalk. The flea markets where I come from are selling second hand items, so it would not occur to me shops with wares spilling out to the streets in a tropical setting would be considered flea market. Perhaps I need to find out the definition of flea market. :)

It is possible the tour guide had no idea what was being asked of her either.

Bit of research later : This may be the confusion.

Thanks oodles, I learned something new today, the difference between flea market and street vending. :D

Indeed, I can see where this may apply. Thank you Chloedmom.

From my perspective, that bit of Coxen Hole is shops overflowing in to the sidewalk. The flea markets where I come from are selling second hand items, so it would not occur to me shops with wares spilling out to the streets in a tropical setting would be considered flea market. Perhaps I need to find out the definition of flea market. :)

It is possible the tour guide had no idea what was being asked of her either.

Bit of research later : This may be the confusion.

Thanks oodles, I learned something new today, the difference between flea market and street vending. :D

No worries. It's probably just each person's individual idea of a flea market. Here in Orange County, California they call flea markets places where you can buy new, used, or new and used merchandise. I'm really not sure what the "official" definition may be and like most things it can vary from place to place. I guess because of where I come from street vending and flea market can be the same. Quite possibly your tour guide didn't understand either. But, there is a chance she just wanted to get you to her friend's shop. So, it sounds like you were looking for a place to buy second hand items in Roatan. I wish I could help but can't. Maybe a google search should you decide to return.

I hope if you visit Roatan again you have a much more enjoyable experience. We loved it there and had a truly amazing tour.

Have a Happy New Year

BTW - I just clicked on your blog. Very interesting. What an interesting life you are leading. I have to say I admire a person who gets to travel while taking care of people's pets. I'm definitely a pet lover and think that it must be great for those who entrust their pets to you to have someone they feel comfortable leaving their little darlings to.

Have a Happy New Year

BTW - I just clicked on your blog. Very interesting. What an interesting life you are leading. I have to say I admire a person who gets to travel while taking care of people's pets. I'm definitely a pet lover and think that it must be great for those who entrust their pets to you to have someone they feel comfortable leaving their little darlings to.

Indeed, nothing like applying one's passion for travel and animals into a lifestyle. I will never be a zillionaire but I manage to keep myself fed. :D

Enjoy your new year as well.

I think the point of Blind Squirrel's post might be getting lost in the definition of a flea market, although that was very educational. If you note in the original post:

"We told her we wanted to go shopping in Coxen Hole, then the zipline, west bay. She told us there was not shopping in Coxen Hole, that is had all been moved out of town. She then proceeded to take us to her friends shop."

So, IF the guide really said there was no shopping in Coxen Hole then I think the poster had good reason to be unhappy. On our tour we told our guide that we wanted to go to West Bay/End (I don't remember now) for the beach. He strongly discouraged it saying that it was crowded and expensive. He then took us to a resort which seemed nice at first, but it turned out there was trash everywhere and the water was warmer than bath water. (We were told that the trash was from heavy storms the day before.) We didn't see the trash until after we paid the admission. Now I know the guide would have followed our original request if we had insisted, but we thought he was helping us out. Afterward I could only think that he was probably getting a kickback. Or maybe the free drinks they gave him were enough. Otherwise he did a good job as a guide, but since that was the majority of our time, it diminished our enjoyment of the day quite a bit. I can certainly understand the temptation to direct the tourist money in ways that help themselves or their friends, but the best guides are going to put their guests first 100%. If I go back to Roatan, I will probably use Bodden again, but I know I will be requesting a guide by name, and it won't be Ann, nor the guide that we had.

I think the point of Blind Squirrel's post might be getting lost in the definition of a flea market, although that was very educational. If you note in the original post:

"We told her we wanted to go shopping in Coxen Hole, then the zipline, west bay. She told us there was not shopping in Coxen Hole, that is had all been moved out of town. She then proceeded to take us to her friends shop."

So, IF the guide really said there was no shopping in Coxen Hole then I think the poster had good reason to be unhappy. On our tour we told our guide that we wanted to go to West Bay/End (I don't remember now) for the beach. He strongly discouraged it saying that it was crowded and expensive. He then took us to a resort which seemed nice at first, but it turned out there was trash everywhere and the water was warmer than bath water. (We were told that the trash was from heavy storms the day before.) We didn't see the trash until after we paid the admission. Now I know the guide would have followed our original request if we had insisted, but we thought he was helping us out. Afterward I could only think that he was probably getting a kickback. Or maybe the free drinks they gave him were enough. Otherwise he did a good job as a guide, but since that was the majority of our time, it diminished our enjoyment of the day quite a bit. I can certainly understand the temptation to direct the tourist money in ways that help themselves or their friends, but the best guides are going to put their guests first 100%. If I go back to Roatan, I will probably use Bodden again, but I know I will be requesting a guide by name, and it won't be Ann, nor the guide that we had.

Exactly, she insisted that there was NO shopping in Coxen Hole. It wasn't that she did not understand. She even said all shopping had been moved out of Coxen Hole. I am not even sure I said flea market to her. I think I just said shopping as I also wanted to go to La Casa Del Habano for a cuban cigar. She said she new where is was but instead took me to a suveniour shop and said they have cigars in there. Not what I asked for. She said she had been with Victor for 7 years. If he keeps this kind of guide for 7 years I am sure he know what is going on and does not care. He won't be getting any of my buisness again and all I can do is warn others. Some here jump on anyone with a negative review so be it, but I wish I would have know about this before I booked with Victor. I'll I had seen here were wonderful reviews, most likely because everyone jumps on anyone posting a negative review so people just keep their mouth shut. Don't get me wrong we had a great time in Roatan. Victors zipline was great and we had fun at west bay. We just felt taken advantage of and lied to by Victors long time employee.

Wait, you knew the name of the place you wanted to go in Coxen Hole and she would not take you? Were you on a freestyle tour?

That seems very odd indeed. Did you write Victor to find out what the deal was and let him know what happened?

I would be very curious indeed to know why she would not take you into Coxen Hole.

Wait, you knew the name of the place you wanted to go in Coxen Hole and she would not take you? Were you on a freestyle tour?

That seems very odd indeed. Did you write Victor to find out what the deal was and let him know what happened?

I would be very curious indeed to know why she would not take you into Coxen Hole.

Yes I knew the name of where I wanted to go. Yes I was on a private (freestyle) tour. Yes I e-mailed Victor, and his respond was " I am sorry you were disappointed with your tour please try us again" yea right. Like that is going to happen.

I just received an e-mail from Bodden tours. We have two girls age 11 & 13. They said Tex was available for the date we will be on the island. Read good things about Tex but wanted to be sure he is good with kids as well. So should I make my reservation with Tex and Bodden now?

The whole reason that I ever posted my disappointments was not to be negative about bodden tours, but to try to prevent disappointment in some one else's tour.

I had not read anything negative, all glowing reviews , I was so excited!

Afterwards I felt like a deflated balloon. My purpose was to encourage people to request a guide, wish I had!

Johnna

I just received an e-mail from Bodden tours. We have two girls age 11 & 13. They said Tex was available for the date we will be on the island. Read good things about Tex but wanted to be sure he is good with kids as well. So should I make my reservation with Tex and Bodden now?

Yes you should. He has children of his own. I wouldn't wait as he books up fast. We toured with him and he was fantastic.

Perhaps he will take you and your children by his house to meet his dogs and then drive down the beach in his van as he did when we toured with him

My thought is that the Ann who was horrible is not the same Ann who was wonderful. Perhaps there are 2 Anns?

We were with Bodden Tours during Christmas week. Our family of 5 ages 15 to 79 loved our tour, which was planned by us... monkeys (best part of cruise), shopping, sightseeing, quick lunch, Iguana farm. Our guide was Anthony and we loved him! We were enchanted by this island. We too would like to go back and spend at least a week.

I think I know what you mean about the "flea Market" because I think we were there. Really, truly, not a good flea market. A place where locals would go to get needed essentials or other things. I purchased nothing there, however I did do a lot of shopping at other places on the island.

I will not hesitate to rebook with Bodden. There are still soooooo many things we want to do. Our port time was much too short. Good luck!

Yes you should. He has children of his own. I wouldn't wait as he books up fast. We toured with him and he was fantastic.

Perhaps he will take you and your children by his house to meet his dogs and then drive down the beach in his van as he did when we toured with him

Just received our e-mail confirmation with Bodden Tours and with Tex! Looking forward to having a wonderful visit there at our own pace and desires, especially 5 days into the cruise.

Now to figure out completely what we should go see and do.

Just received our e-mail confirmation with Bodden Tours and with Tex! Looking forward to having a wonderful visit there at our own pace and desires, especially 5 days into the cruise.

Now to figure out completely what we should go see and do.

Fantastic. You can email Victor prior to your cruise and let him know what types of things you have in mind and he will suggest some things for.

When we toured with Tex back in 2009 (my friend and I who are both in our 50's) we just wanted a sightseeing day and a nice lunch. My friend isn't a stay at the beach person. Tex took us under his wing and provided us with such an amazing day. I'm sure he will do the same for you.

By the way, if I remember right, Tex has a boy and a girl.

I'm sighing too! Happy to hear you had a great experience. Tex is really wonderful and we loved, loved, loved Roatan. Such a beautiful island. Plus, I still remember sitting out at lunch on the patio of the restaurant we were at and the water from the ocean was splashing up on our feet as we ate lobster and drank the very best Pina Colada's I've ever had.

Oh my, gives me good motivation to work hard this week. Gotta go back to the beautiful island of Roatan for a week.

Choledmom; that lunch sounds lovely. Do you remember the restaurant you were at? We are going in 5 weeks (woohoo!) and I would love to try the lobster and pina coladas!

I think Chloedmom was at Half Moon Bay Resort.

Lightouse is another nice spot in West End.

Both are close enough to the water to say they are on the water, bother have amazing views. Half Moon Bay Resort is slightly more rustic than Liughthouse. Both have decent food of a good day. :) +

Eagle Rays is on the water was well but am not a fan of the food, or the dining area.

If going to West Bay, Bite in the Beach is a lovely spot in the water.

Choledmom; that lunch sounds lovely. Do you remember the restaurant you were at? We are going in 5 weeks (woohoo!) and I would love to try the lobster and pina coladas!

Yes. It was the Half Moon Bay Resort. By the way, I emailed Victor after our visit there to let him know what a lovely day we had. He mentioned that the Half Moon Bay Resort Restaurant is one of his family's favorites and they go there on a regular basis.

Keep in mind, it's not fancy at all. The outside patio, which is where you should eat if you go, is a plywood deck. But, that allows the wonderful ocean water that is beneath it to splash up on your feet. So, with water splashing up on our feet from the ocean meeting the bay I would say the restaurant is on the water! The resort itself isn't what you might think of a resort here in the US. It really is several cabins. We loved sitting there and looking one way and seeing such a lovely oceanview and then also being able to look across the bay and watch the boats sailing and see the picturesque shoreline. We felt like we were in heaven.

The lobster meal we had was good. I won't say the meal was great, but good. We had two lobster tails each, a baked potato, veggies and a salad for $20 a piece. However, I will say the Pina Coladas were the best I've ever had. I'm 53 and in my younger days Pina Coladas were my drink of choice so I've had way more than my share. I'm sure it depends on the bartender as it can no matter where you go. I'll wish you a fab Pina Colada if you decide to go!

I think it was one of my favorite island experiences. I still go there in my mind when I need to escape from stress.

Thank you! Half Moon Bay will be requested during our tour! It sounds similar to a place we had lunch at in Costa Rica last year...very low key; right on the water, one of my best memories. In fact my friend who was with us said almost the same thing..."this is like heaven; it will be my "go to" spot in my memory when I need to relax".

Thank you! Half Moon Bay will be requested during our tour! It sounds similar to a place we had lunch at in Costa Rica last year...very low key; right on the water, one of my best memories. In fact my friend who was with us said almost the same thing..."this is like heaven; it will be my "go to" spot in my memory when I need to relax".

Awesome. I don't know you but sincerely wish you a great experience as we had in Roatan:)

What does the unofficial martini taster comment in your signature mean?

Thanks Chloe! My signature had dropped a piece; which I have fixed now. It's a title that the members of the Whale's Tale Club adopt for themselves (that's why its unofficial). Just a silly fun thing some people who love Carnival have done and I stumbled across on a message board.

Just got a message from VB yesterday. We have a group of 12 in Roatan and our guide will be Paco. Will review when I return!

I have read that Roatan is a common port for the ship to not dock at if there is any sort of wind/bad weather...how do you handle it with VB Tours if you aren't going to be able to dock? Do you have to call and cancel, do you lose money? How does this work?

Very good question, in fact I asked Bodden Tours the same question this past Saturday. I asked:

Do you require a deposit? If so how will payment be conducted?

What happens if our ship doesn't stop there due to weather or rough seas?

Their answer:

We dont require a deposit or prepayment, so if you don't dock then you are out no moneys.

Archived