Restaurants in Rome

quivet c

Since nobody has posted anything, I thought I would offer a comment or two. Just about ant restaurant you go to is going to have pasta. It is the first course for dinner. The better things are yet to come. Stay away (2-3 blocks) from the tourist areas and you'll probably do better.

Remember that Rome is a big city. There are hundreds of restaurants in Rome. Try to find one that has a lot of people who don't look like tourists (ie, they don't look like you.) Doing that, you'll probably find a pretty good place.

Since this question is asked fairly often, you might also use search for more options. Here's a link to a fairly recent thread with some ideas:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1222516&highlight=rome+restaurants

I agree with GSPLover re: finding a restaurant. Other tips to avoid touristy restaurants -- look for places that do NOT have menus in English and do not have guy standing outside trying to get you to come in. ;)

Not sure where we will be, but we can be anywhere as lunch and amazing pasta is one of our must do's. We were in Rome this time last year and saw all the must sees so we will just be walking around. We live in Chicago and can get amazing Italian food but we want amazing pasta and a real Roman dining experience. Saw Anthony Bourdain taking in Roman local food this week and want to do similar.

Not sure where we will be, but we can be anywhere as lunch and amazing pasta is one of our must do's. We were in Rome this time last year and saw all the must sees so we will just be walking around.

I think that your vagueness is making it hard for people to help you. I'll give you a few, but have no idea if they're what you're looking for. I do know that I had great pasta at each:

La Pigna, in Piazza della Pigna (near the Pantheon)

Checco er Carettiere (Trastevere)

Hostaria da Nerone, on Via delle Terme di Tito (Colosseum area)

There are guides to all of Tony's shows posted on the Travel Channel website. Here's a link to the Rome episode:

http://www.travelchannel.com/TV_Shows/Anthony_Bourdain/Episodes_Travel_Guides/Episode_Rome

If you want to try some of the traditional dishes served in the area of the Jewish Ghetto (where one restaurant he ate in is located), I can highly recommend Piperno for their fried artichokes (among other things).

Just spent four days in Rome and since we had a vegetarian with us, we ate several meals at Insalata Ricca about two blocks south of Navona. They have other locations as well.

They have excellent pasta, salads, and other dishes for reasonable prices. Just avoid the pizza place right next door which will try to entice you to come in while you're looking at the other menu!

In the Pantheon area, try La Segrestia at Via del Seminario 89 two blocks from the Pantheon. Standing looking at the Pantheon, go left down Via del Seminario and La Sagrestia will be on the right. Best cracker-thin Roman pizza I've ever had, and many other excellent dishes.

We ate at this restaurant a few years ago for lunch. Wonderful meal in a small restaurant frequented by few tourists. I highly recommend it- lunch is served 1:00pm or later.

Tre Archi da Loreto. Via dei Coronari 233.

When you come out of the Vatican gates take a RIGHT and follow the big wall no longer than 5 minutes. A place called Alfredo's and it's SUPPOSED to be the inventor of Fettucini Alfredo. It was yummy.

Closer to Pantheon. Baffeto's. Pizza. Yum. Cab driver recommendation. Crowded, they'll seat you with strangers (who cares, we're there for yummy pizza). Also in the area is a place called Giolitti. It was amazing. Do not miss.

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?q=-&fb=1&cid=4802306927144233139

Archived