Jamaica - Should Carnival take it off it's roster??

LCTXcruiser

Wow I am surprised at the amount of people who voted FOR Jamaica. I expected this to be a thread full of Jamaica bashing as usual. Glad to see I'm not alone when I say I love it there. Flying there in 2 months for an annual family trip. Can't wait!

Yay for Jamaica!

That's the best thing about an open forum - you get both sides :)

Well OPer - you certainly picked a hot topic. I say keep going to Jamaica.

For whatever reason, it seems people always over estimate the dangers of this Island.

I get more nervous in certain parts of Florida.

Jamaica is a real country not like Nassau/Paradise Island. Perhaps people don't want real?

Did you click the 'Per capita' link on that website? Jamaica is ranked #3, United States #24, and that was from data compiled between 1998-2000. Still, I guess it's OK that it sports one of the highest rates of homophobic violence in the world.

As if there is no homophobia, racism, etc, in the good old USA. :rolleyes:

How many of those murders are cruise line passengers of any orientation?

The only DOPES are the visitors trying to purchase drugs.

As for growing and selling, isn't marijuana close to the largest cash crop in California? If only America didn't have such an addiction to drugs... Ya think maybe that's why other countries associate Americans with drugs and try to sell them some?

It is pretty easy to spot drugs deals in many (most?) bars in America every day of the year.

Absolutely not! Yes, people there are poor, and yes, they could be pushy when trying to sell stuff, whatever "stuff" they may have. Howver, I've just said "One love, mon" and Peace!, with a smile, and that was that. Maybe being a NYer, it's easier for me to deal with than a someone coming from a less diverse area. I've been to Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, Negril, and Fort Charles on the South Coast, gone to several waterfalls other than DRF, swam in the bioluminesce bay and eaten jerk chicken from roadside vendors!

There's so much to do and indeed, a dollar can far when a deal is worked out beforehand with a licensed cab driver or vendor. If I'm looking for a true Caribbean feeling,I'll take Jamaica over the more "sanitized" Cayman Islands anyday.

That said, I have no desire to visit Kingston, mon!

Well OPer - you certainly picked a hot topic. I say keep going to Jamaica.

For whatever reason, it seems people always over estimate the dangers of this Island.

I get more nervous in certain parts of Florida.

Jamaica is a real country not like Nassau/Paradise Island. Perhaps people don't want real?

LOL - Looks like I did! Stirred up the hornets nest!

Our next cruise will be on the Freedom despite it stopping in Ocho Rios not because it is stopping there. Climbing slippery waterfalls and being pestered by aggressive locals is not on our wish list so we're just going to spend an hour or so at Margaritaville. We're not big drinkers but will have a drink and bite to eat in order to use the pool. I keep reading it's so expensive there. How much on average are fruity drinks and an appetizer/sandwich/wrap?

No do not remove Jamaica!

We have only been there once. We didn'tknow what we wanted to do when we were there so we got a taxi driver to drive us around for the day settled on a price before hand..don't remember what it was though...and he took us a few places then took us to aquasol beach. had a great time. He even took us to a few stores for something specific that we were looking for. Never found it though. He was great and we had a great time. We will go back again and a again.

When I was first reading these boards before our cruise I was worried about Jamaica but after being there I really enjoyed it was able to relax didn't have a lot of high pressure never was offered any drugs.

my only complaint was that the kids wanted to swim and we wanted to do more sighseeing and rather than the driver ignoring them like we do and telling them this is the way it is he was all for doing what the kids wanted. Rather than cause a scene we did the beach....and took care of our kids at a later and more appropriate time. We also understand that part of the problem was us communicating with our kids before hand that we weren't plannign on doing swimming this day becuase we wanted to see what there was in jamaica first.

I also felt that the no problems and the no worries and stuff was more of an act becuase that is what we americans expect to hear rather than it being real.....

It would be nice if the cruise lines used their leverage to stop the human rights abuses in the country. If they pulled out of stopping in Jamaica until they protect their citizens and visitors, that would be worth it. It's a beautiful country, but they shouln't be rewarded with tourist dollars until they clean up their act.

I am with you the place is crime ridden with ripoff artists everywhere. I can't tell you how many times I was approached in a touristy shopping plaza if I wanted to buy some dope. It could be a beautiful place to visit if they would clean up their image.
Sounds like Detroit. :rolleyes:

But I digress.

To answer the OP, NO!

Montego Bay - a totally forgetable port.

if they drop "ya mon", where would i get my blue mountain coffee from??

i went to mystic mountain by myself while the rest of my group went to the falls.

i only had one guy ask if i wanted some smoke.i think it is a great place to see.

you just have to be careful just like you would in any strange country.:cool::cool:

We booked with Carnival's excursion (Dunn's Falls and the bob sled) and had no problems. It was beautiful and we had a great time. Sometimes it pays to pay a little extra to insure a good safe experience. Especially somewhere like Jamaica.

There are a few Carribean ports I'd only book through the cruise ship.....but I don't want them taken off as cruise stops either.......I'm just more careful.

I agree, book through Carnival.

No. I always enjoy my trips to Jamaica whether on a cruise ship or at a land resort. I have never encountered the negative experiences that many posters have. I also do not consider pushy vendors to be a negative; I am always firm but polite when refusing them and they always refrain after that. I have never had anyone invade my personal space or touch me. I have had people offer me drugs, but a firm "no" always sends them away. I suppose that ranks as a negative experience, but I am neutral on it as a firm "No thanks" always sends them scurrying away. But, I can see how it would be upsetting to people. Just an aside: Jamaica is not the only place I've been offered drugs. It's happened on other islands too, including St. Maarten. I don't think the ships should stop going to Jamaica because for every person that's had a bad experience, there is another person who has had a good one. People have the option to stay aboard while the ship is in port.

ck),

I don't want to turn this into a B**** fest, but I wanted to see what others thought?

Should Jamaica be taken off the roster?

PS - The one positive is that the water was beautiful!

Yes, we went there 5 years ago and said we would never go to Jamaica again. If we find a really, REALLY good cruise deal that just happens to go to Montego Bay, we would still do the cruise. We just wouldn't get off the ship in that port.

Five years later and the memory still hasn't dimmed. My husband is a big tough guy and he even admitted to feeling "uncomfortable". I, however, fully admit to being frightened.

I have been to Jamaica 4 times on cruises & every time I get bugged about buying some "smoke". The last time I was there in 1998, I was asked again with a policeman standing 10 feet away. I think it was a possible set up. I don't know why I get asked all the time, I'm 52 now & clean cut. It's not like I look like Cheech & Chong!! The place stinks of corruption!!

Not saying I will never go back, but, if we get a good deal on a cruise I think we will just stay on board & have the ship to ourselves.

Steve

I do not think that this port should be removed from itinaries but I do advise people not to partake in any risky or dangerous sports/activities and to take every precaution you can to avoid ending up at the hospital there. I spent the most frightening experience of my life when I was rushed to the hospital while on a weeks vacation in Jamaica. Their hospitals are dirty, very poorly equipped and very very intimidating places.

we just avoid cruises that hit jamaica

been there once...no need to return

We went to ocho rios(sp?) on a carnival cruise and booked dunn's falls with carnival as well, loved dunn falls ,hated the walk out back to the bus. The vendors were way to pushy. I understand they need to make a living as well but never had pressure from Mexico, Grand Cayman, Nassau, or Freeport. They understand the word NO Thanks!

Been there done that , have a t -shirt but will never go back.

I avoided Jamaica on our next cruise and will continue to avoid it.

Archived