Food choices in the MDR

jerblu

There's a thread about hidden choices, but I was wondering what the best food choices are in the MDR. Plus- is there always steak or salmon on the menu, and if so, are these good choices. Anything else along the same line?

I often order the tenderloin, sometimes with a side of fettucini, sometimes with a baked potato. Caesar salad is also always on the menu; you can order a dinner portion with chicken strips or shrimp if you want. If I'm on a longer cruise, I sometimes like to deviate from a "meat and potatoes" meal and have an appetizer, soup and salad.

I often order the tenderloin, sometimes with a side of fettucini, sometimes with a baked potato. Caesar salad is also always on the menu; you can order a dinner portion with chicken strips or shrimp if you want. If I'm on a longer cruise, I sometimes like to deviate from a "meat and potatoes" meal and have an appetizer, soup and salad.

Great Idea Pam. I am not a meat and potatoes gal at all. Once and a while fine but not nightly. Usually I go for App and salad but I like the idea of chcken strips or shrimp in a salad instead..... Thanks !!!

Teri

If you don't see something on the menu that you want you can always ask the Maitre d if they can fix it for you. Sometimes we ask for a special dessert that is not on the menu and they have to have several days notice.

Always available menu in the MDR:

944713386_zEmsg-L-1.jpg

Thanks for posting the always available menu. All this talk about a steak always available as an alternate had me wondering if they added the steak to the list again since our last cruise. The Beef Medallions are usually good, but not an actual steak the last few times I ordered them. ;)

They always have steak & salmon on the menu. The steak isn't to bad but I don't really like the salmon because it very strong tasting & not like the farm raised fish we get at home although my wife does enjoy it.

This reminds me of a couple who shared our table on a Med cruise... the wife ordered grilled salmon and veggies on the 1st night, picked at the salmon and commented how 'fishy' it tasted and left it on the plate. She continued to order it every night for the next 12 days and make the same comment every night ! Even the concerned waiter commented that she should try different type of fish that was on the menu but she persisted in ordering the salmon and then not eating it...

After the 2nd night my mom and I were taking bets if she would be ordering the salmon at dinner that evening.

This reminds me of a couple who shared our table on a Med cruise... the wife ordered grilled salmon and veggies on the 1st night, picked at the salmon and commented how 'fishy' it tasted and left it on the plate. She continued to order it every night for the next 12 days and make the same comment every night ! Even the concerned waiter commented that she should try different type of fish that was on the menu but she persisted in ordering the salmon and then not eating it...

After the 2nd night my mom and I were taking bets if she would be ordering the salmon at dinner that evening.

I have heard the definition of insanity is to do the same thing over and over again, expecting different results.

We have had several tablemates on different cruises who loved the fettucini. Princess serves it in a bowl made out of Parmesan.

On the Sapphire earlier this month, I took advantage of the special entrees available from the four anytime dining rooms. So in addition to the standard always available menu items, I could order osso buco, seafood stirfry, pork chops, or fajitas. I tried the first two. I give a big thumbs up to the osso buco. The stirfry was good but not great.

We rarely eat in the buffet, and one of the many wonderful things about the MDR is that it gives me a chance to try things I've never had. If it's not to my taste, I can send it back and try something else. I tried and didn't like, the veal, frog legs, ox tail soup, beef wellington, the cajun cawdags, and oso booco (sp?). But I tried and loved the escargot.

I also like that if you want 2 bowls of soup, and nothing else, that's what you can have. I've also bewildered the servers by asking for, and receiving, "just" a baked potato, "just" a plate of veggies, "just" 4 shrimp cocktails, and a childrens plate of chicken nuggets !! :D :cool:

We have had several tablemates on different cruises who loved the fettucini. Princess serves it in a bowl made out of Parmesan.

I love the fettucini too. I had it for an appetizer 3 times on our recent cruise. But I have never gotten it in a parmesan bowl. Perhaps they only do this if you get it for a main course??

On the Sapphire earlier this month, I took advantage of the special entrees available from the four anytime dining rooms. So in addition to the standard always available menu items, I could order osso buco, seafood stirfry, pork chops, or fajitas. I tried the first two. I give a big thumbs up to the osso buco. The stirfry was good but not great.

Can someone remind what the osso buco is again? I've been on both the Diamond and Sapphire but can't remember what osso buco is. I thought one of the special dishes was a veal dish. Is that what it is? I remember the other 3.

Can someone remind what the osso buco is again? I've been on both the Diamond and Sapphire but can't remember what osso buco is. I thought one of the special dishes was a veal dish. Is that what it is? I remember the other 3.

Ossobuco are braised veal shanks.

I love the fettucini too. I had it for an appetizer 3 times on our recent cruise. But I have never gotten it in a parmesan bowl. Perhaps they only do this if you get it for a main course??

You can order an appetizer portion of the fettucini, and just request it be served in a cheese bowl. I did this a few times last month since I didn't want a main course portion. It was delicious each time! I also ask for extra Parmesan cheese to be sprinkled on top.

Archived