Help I need information. Just tried to upgrade and was denied

I am really confused about what is going on with the OP...maybe they don't consider an upgrade unless its to a suite????

We booked our Mariner cruise about 1 month ago in a D1 cabin. I saw JS's on sale last TUESDAY...called to upgrade to the JS...and even though it was the "tuesday" sale....they allowed it.

now I had called once to ask and then I called back later to book...so twice I was told...as long as its an "upgrade"...its allowed.

now I had to pay $500 more...so maybe that is why???? I just don't know.:confused:

We upgraded from a junior to a grande for 680 so we could stay in the same cabin on the second half of our back to back - but we felt it was worth it so we didn't have to go through the hassle of moving down the hall and gives us concierge status for 9 whole days:)-

We've run foul of this too - for the cruise we're on in a couple of days.

Initially we booked a guaranteed balcony cabin, then a few weeks later a guaranteed suite became available for a little more. No go with the upgrade, and we spoke to several people trying to get it.

Then a week ago we saw a reduced price on a junior suite at a slightly higher price than the guarantee... and yes that was fine, no problem.

The issue is, it's not at all clear what you will or will not be able to change your booking to now. And without that impression that any change is going to be fine we're not going to book in advance anymore... we'll wait until closer to the sailing date and make our booking sure we're happy with the cabin class and price because we can't be sure we'll be able to change it later.

Why should you be treated differently than everyone else when a price is restricted to new bookings only? If they give it to you, they'll have to give it to everyone and it is clearly not for new bookings.

Here is some background from someone who knows:

Revenue sets up most pricing 1-2 months in advance. When they do so, most are "convertible" (meaning existing bookings can have it) and some are "non convertible" like RSale pricing, interline rates, net pricing for TP's, and some res/inside/outside/balcony/senior rates. Some guarantee pricing is also non-convertible. Why make some non-convertible. Usually you will see this when a category still has a lot of rooms available - more than Revenue thinks it should at this juncture. In that instance, two prices (at least) will be released. One for existing bookings (higher) and one for new bookings (lower). Why? Because they don't just want people moving around the ship - they want MORE people on the ship.

When an agent goes to put in a price that is non convertible in an existing booking, the field freezes and they get an error stating it cannot be done, new bookings only. It isn't as if they are choosing not to do it, they don't have the authority to do it.

Now, I know the website has always said, for all pricing, *new bookings only. This does not mean that RCI is now enforcing all pricing as new bookings only. Clearly, as seen here, people are still getting upgrades. But the really good pricing is, and always has been, new bookings only. It just often was not published on the website as visibly.

So let's stop the dramatics, ok? It isn't a change in policy. And you don't deserve special treatment just because you have three upcoming cruises this year. Would you like it if RCI said..well this guy has 4 upcoming cruises so he can take a Tuesday Sale at a lower price but you? You only have 3, so you can't.

Well Well Thanks for the Flaming.. Go back and read the threads before you respond aggressively my friend...

As for as the three cruises befoe Xmas.. I never asked for special treatment.. but I did state I wanted to to remain in a good state of mind and enjoy them and continue my overall satisfaction with RCI. Going with RCI is completely my choice and the crusie line owes me nothing special. I completely undstand that.

Besides, hey isnt your lunch hour over? time to get back on the telephone!

Thank you yoyr kind words.

Initially we booked a guaranteed balcony cabin, then a few weeks later a guaranteed suite became available for a little more. No go with the upgrade, and we spoke to several people trying to get it.

Then a week ago we saw a reduced price on a junior suite at a slightly higher price than the guarantee... and yes that was fine, no problem.

The issue is, it's not at all clear what you will or will not be able to change your booking to now. And without that impression that any change is going to be fine we're not going to book in advance anymore... we'll wait until closer to the sailing date and make our booking sure we're happy with the cabin class and price because we can't be sure we'll be able to change it later.

Thanks guys!

I am really confused about what is going on with the OP...maybe they don't consider an upgrade unless its to a suite????

We booked our Mariner cruise about 1 month ago in a D1 cabin. I saw JS's on sale last TUESDAY...called to upgrade to the JS...and even though it was the "tuesday" sale....they allowed it.

now I had called once to ask and then I called back later to book...so twice I was told...as long as its an "upgrade"...its allowed.

now I had to pay $500 more...so maybe that is why???? I just don't know.:confused:

That is exactly why. As long as it is a cost increase and an open price (meaning not restricted), you can upgrade.

Suite guarantees, in all my cruising experience, are almost never "convertible" to existing bookings. Heck, it is rare to even see them for most cruises. But snag one if you can, they are usually a great deal!

Well Well Thanks for the Flaming.. Go back and read the threads before you respond aggressively my friend...

As for as the three cruises befoe Xmas.. I never asked for special treatment.. but I did state I wanted to to remain in a good state of mind and enjoy them and continue my overall satisfaction with RCI. Going with RCI is completely my choice and the crusie line owes me nothing special. I completely undstand that.

Besides, hey isnt your lunch hour over? time to get back on the telephone!

Thank you yoyr kind words.

That wasn't flaming, it was explaining something. But clearly you don't want to understand so...:rolleyes: Flaming is attacking someone. I never attacked you, I explained how RCI pricing works. And I don't work for RCI, and I sure as heck am not a customer service rep lol but it is my job to know the ins and outs of RCI, their policies and how they work.

Look, if you are not satisfied that RCI has pricing restrictions, go to another line. Oh wait, they all do this, don't they? I have, at one point or another, worked on every major line (including, yes, one time with RCI). They all do this. You called, they said it was new bookings only, move on. It sucks, but it happens.

Storm. call again and speak to a supervisor. The reps don't always know what the are talking about. Company policy is that no RCI employee is supposed to be posting on CC so I would take what thelion says with a grain of salt. Too much misinformation on too many threads.

LOL! Thanks, I'd like to speak with Thelion's supervisor!

I can understand thelion's reasoning, but what I dont understand is that I have many many times changed my cabin to either upgrade or down grade

.......Seems it doesnt pay to reserve in advance..

I am sorry you didn't get to upgrade after having successfully doing this in the past.

If you are like me, who books up to a year and half in advance, yes it does pay. I finally got the cabin I wanted for years - an AFT. If I had waited an longer it would not be available today and the cruise I am talking about is over 400 days away.

Storm. call again and speak to a supervisor. The reps don't always know what the are talking about. Company policy is that no RCI employee is supposed to be posting on CC so I would take what thelion says with a grain of salt. Too much misinformation on too many threads.

Yes.... Thank you.... Seems the Lion is mixing policies of other lines with Royal.... Policy was always that as long as it wasn't a special sale you could always upgrade.... Heck in the past I have done everything AFTER final from downgrading to switching sailings and never had issues with the old policy in place.... actually on one of my pre May 17 sailing I went all the way from a Grand Suite to an interior and took a $3K plus refundable OBC that I was allowed to cash out once aboard....again all after final. So things have certainly not always been like what's happening now.

Yes.... Thank you.... Seems the Lion is mixing policies of other lines with Royal.... Policy was always that as long as it wasn't a special sale you could always upgrade.... Heck in the past I have done everything AFTER final from downgrading to switching sailings and never had issues with the old policy in place.... actually on one of my pre May 17 sailing I went all the way from a Grand Suite to an interior and took a $3K plus refundable OBC that I was allowed to cash out once aboard....again all after final. So things have certainly not always been like what's happening now.

I agree. I have never had an issue with getting a residency rate or price drop in the past. If the price showed up on the website you could pretty much get it. I never heard of some residency rates being designated for new booking only and others open to everyone even though the website list EVERYTHING as for new bookings only. It was only Tuesday and WOW sales that were treated differenty.

LOL! Thanks, I'd like to speak with Thelion's supervisor!

I can understand thelion's reasoning, but what I dont understand is that I have many many times changed my cabin to either upgrade or down grade

Again, I don't work for RCI so...I violate no policy posting here.

And again, you just came up against a nonconvertible price this time. If you find another one and call up, I bet you'll get that upgrade. It really isn't complex. Downgrading, however, is no longer allowed after final payment.

Downgrading, however, is no longer allowed after final payment.

Definitely not saying the above isn't true. But I find if difficult to believe that if someone wanted to downgrade after final payment, that they wouldn't be allowed to do so knowing that they won't get any money back or OBC's.

For instance, on my upcoming cruise I am booked in a D1 aft balcony, I would gladly downgrade to an E1 Corner aft on deck 7 (if it became available) and not expect a penny of OBC. This seems like a no brainer for the cruise line to allow this. They would be getting more money for the E1 than what is published at the time and have an extra D1 to sell as well. :confused:

I agree. I have never had an issue with getting a residency rate or price drop in the past. If the price showed up on the website you could pretty much get it. I never heard of some residency rates being designated for new booking only and others open to everyone even though the website list EVERYTHING as for new bookings only. It was only Tuesday and WOW sales that were treated differenty.

Thank you

It happened to me. I called and spoke with several individuals and supervisors, and no go. They didn't want my extra money to let me upgrade. I got nowhere, hope you do better.:(

Well, I hate to beat this issue to death............I spoke with RCI rep yesturday...they called me about another issue. I raised the question again. This Rep told me that After final payment, you can not change the cabin to any guarantee rate. This is understandable since the guarantee rate is a tool to get cabins booked close to the sail date. She said I could upgrade... I told her that I did want to up grade to a balcony or even larger ocean view and was denied...She said the what will determine if it is an upgarde is the price not the cabin. So lateral moves and down grades (to lower priced cabins) are no longer permitted after final payment(I paid for this 70 days ago.) I asked, well then, keep the $ difference. I dont want a refund just a cabin change from inside to outside. She said no, cant do that either. So I attempted to clarify it with her and asked... so If I call RCI and ask for a change to a normal non-guarantee fair that happens to be atleast $1 over what I originally paid...I can do it? She said yes at this moment you can...Her caveat, however, was that things change often from am to pm.

Well although the ultimate answer was the same..NO SIR U Can NOT DO THAT...This RCI Rep was pleasant, sympathic and professional.

Archived