Dress Code for MDR

bsb4273

This will be our first RCI cruise and I wanted to know if RCI permits men to wear jeans (not ripped or torn) to dinner along with a polo shirt or dress shirt on non formal evenings. On other cruise lines, this is permissible. If this is discouraged on RCI, then I can pack accordingly. Thanks for the help.

I do believe that most people here will tell you it is discouraged. For smart casual nights my DH will usually wear a pair of dockers, polo shirt, etc. We have never worn jeans or shorts to the MDR.

Hope this helps.

On normal formal nights jeans ARE permissable. A distinction may be drawn between casual and smart casual nights. In my experience smart jeans have been worn at either. I'm with the crowd that doesn't care what you wear. You're on holiday and the dress 'code' is a guide not an instruction. Flame suit on.

On casual and smart casual evenings you really won't see much of distinction on attire. We have never been denied entry to the MDR in jeans. Our jeans are not faded or torn. I wear a silk blouse and DH wears a polo or Hawaiian shirt.

This will be our first RCI cruise and I wanted to know if RCI permits men to wear jeans

Personally I would not even bring a pair of jeans on a Carribean cruise. Too hot, just take 2 pair of slacks and I am set. The only time I wear long pants is for dinner and the evenings. Sometimes I will go change back to shorts after dinner.

I do believe that most people here will tell you it is discouraged. For smart casual nights my DH will usually wear a pair of dockers, polo shirt, etc. We have never worn jeans or shorts to the MDR.

Hope this helps.

Ditto for us!

Since jeans are not listed as "not permitted" you should be fine.

I thought I heard they no longer have smart casual on caribbean cruises..just casual and formal. I was hoping that's true since I've never seen any distinction between the two on our cruises. Casual: Slacks, polo, capri's, sundresses. Smart Casual: Slack, polo, cari's, sundresses. I've never seen any noticeable difference in the clothing in the MRD.

Personally I would not even bring a pair of jeans on a Carribean cruise. Too hot, just take 2 pair of slacks and I am set. The only time I wear long pants is for dinner and the evenings. Sometimes I will go change back to shorts after dinner.

Actually, jeans come in really handy when you live up here in the frozen north. While you may not need them on the actual cruise, you still have to get to the airport and back from the airport in potentially sub-zero temps in February. Plus, jeans don't wrinkle like Dockers or dress pants when sitting in the airport and on a plane for several hours. I would hate to have to wear severely wrinkled Dockers or dress pants during the cruise, so jeans are the perfect option for in-transit.

I'll bring jeans on a Caribbean cruise, for the day we fly out in winter weather, and the day we fly home back to the snow. Otherwise they stay in the suitcase:D I wear jeans all the time at home most of the year (except summer), but have never understood the endless threads here about wearing them to dinner on a cruise.:rolleyes:

We ALWAYS change back to shorts after dinner:D

I wear jeans all the time at home most of the year (except summer), but have never understood the endless threads here about wearing them to dinner on a cruise.

My husband wears dress clothes all the time at home, but has never understood the endless threads here about wearing them to dinner on a cruise (other than formal nights, of course)....

(Just tossing out the other side of the coin, not really meaning to direct it at any one person!) For someone that has to wear dress pants or khakis on a daily basis, wearing them every night on a cruise can make it feel more like work than vacation..... :)

I was just going to ask a dress code question. As I understand from reading many threads, 3 night cruises are very casual. According to the RCI website, there is a FORMAL night...but from what I am reading, it is SMART CASUAL. Can someone confirm? Also, will they kick you out of the dining room if you don't adhere to the code? My DH is ADAMANT about wearing NICE shorts to the dining rooms on casual nights. He said if he could wear them on DCL, then he can wear them on RCCL!! Whatever.

I was just going to ask a dress code question. As I understand from reading many threads, 3 night cruises are very casual. According to the RCI website, there is a FORMAL night...but from what I am reading, it is SMART CASUAL. Can someone confirm? Also, will they kick you out of the dining room if you don't adhere to the code? My DH is ADAMANT about wearing NICE shorts to the dining rooms on casual nights. He said if he could wear them on DCL, then he can wear them on RCCL!! Whatever.

There usually signs at the door saying "No shorts"...

are there people who will do what they wish despite the signs...always...the MDR staff won't fight with pax over it..they usually get verbally abused by the cretins.:(

You will not be denied entrance to the MDR. Wear what you are comfortable in. RCI is very casual.

:cool:Personally I'd prefer that your DH go back to DCL and play with the kids and leave us ADULTS dress up for dinner:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN

This will be our first RCI cruise and I wanted to know if RCI permits men to wear jeans (not ripped or torn) to dinner along with a polo shirt or dress shirt on non formal evenings. On other cruise lines, this is permissible. If this is discouraged on RCI, then I can pack accordingly. Thanks for the help.

Although I have never worn jeans to the MDR, I have no problem with those who choose to do so.

You will find that "The Clothes Police" only exsist on these boards and are not out on patrol while on the ships. It gives them a feeling of power to be critical of those who choose not to dress in a way that meets their standards. They refer to folks as "cretins", try to relegate folks to the buffet or room service, or even go so far as to tell you to cruise another line such as Disney or NCL. Quite frankly, they need to get over themselves!

Although I have never worn jeans to the MDR, I have no problem with those who choose to do so.

You will find that "The Clothes Police" only exsist on these boards and are not out on patrol while on the ships. It gives them a feeling of power to be critical of those who choose not to dress in a way that meets their standards. They refer to folks as "cretins", try to relegate folks to the buffet or room service, or even go so far as to tell you to cruise another line such as Disney or NCL. Quite frankly, they need to get over themselves!

:cool:The original poster asked if jeans were allowed in MDR on non-formal nights. The answer is yes. I don't wear them, but nothing says that they are not allowed. LATER - a woman asked if her DH could wear shorts in MDR since he wore them on Disney. Well maybe Disney allows them, but the policy of RCCL is "no shorts in MDR for dinner" What part of that do you, and that woman not understand? If that is their policy, go with it, or yes, she and her husband (and you) can to to Disney and wear what you want.:cool:

:cool:The original poster asked if jeans were allowed in MDR on non-formal nights. The answer is yes. I don't wear them, but nothing says that they are not allowed. LATER - a woman asked if her DH could wear shorts in MDR since he wore them on Disney. Well maybe Disney allows them, but the policy of RCCL is "no shorts in MDR for dinner" What part of that do you, and that woman not understand? If that is their policy, go with it, or yes, she and her husband (and you) can to to Disney and wear what you want.:cool:

I shall choose to sail on RCCL and wear what I choose. What part of that do you not understand?:rolleyes:

I shall choose to sail on RCCL and wear what I choose. What part of that do you not understand?:rolleyes:

:cool:You were the person who was featured in that SHOPPERS AT WALMART e-mail that I got last week. If your host requests something, the correct thing to do is abide by their wishes, or go visit someone else.:cool:If the dress code says "no shorts in the MDR at dinner" then you and everyone else should abide by their wishes or sail elsewhere. If you want to bring alcohol on board, sail with someone else, not RCCL:cool:

Normally I would agree, but the OP is leaving from NJ in February and it will not be hot.

I'll be wearing mine on the last night.

I don't know why people find the need to criticize others here. I came for information not to be ridiculed. Listen here, sailawayjack, DH and I don't have any kids and we ARE adults. Adults do wear shorts, even to dinner. You don't know me and I think I am glad I don't know you...so back off. And DCL doesn't "allow" shorts at dinner either but MANY people wear them. And one of my original questions still wasn't answered...is the 3 night "smart casual" or formal...anyone??

Guest maddycat

Well said!

I don't know how else to describe pax who would stand by the doorway to the MDR and verbally abuse MDR staff who have nicely asked them to go change their clothes before entering the MDR. They are cretins and deserve to be eating hotdogs on a garbage scow instead of a nice meal in the MDR of a cruiseship.

Those are the people who need to get over themselves.:)

:cool:You were the person who was featured in that SHOPPERS AT WALMART e-mail that I got last week. If your host requests something, the correct thing to do is abide by their wishes, or go visit someone else.:cool:If the dress code says "no shorts in the MDR at dinner" then you and everyone else should abide by their wishes or sail elsewhere. If you want to bring alcohol on board, sail with someone else, not RCCL:cool:

Nice slam, but I choose not to shop at Walmart.

And I do not look upon RCCL as my host. I am a consumer when I book and take a cruise.

You may wish all you want that folks that disagree with you will sail with someone else, but it won't happen.

Archived