Dress Code for MDR

bsb4273

This thread....another MDR dress code war....

Just like the McDonald commercial (cue music) "I'M LOVIN' IT"

Oh - wait a minute - McDonald's is kind of....um....well, I guess I probably shouldn't quote a McDonald's ad on a RCCL forum, should I? McDonald's is probably right up there w/Walmart, eh?

Hmmm. Oh well.

Carry on. :D;)

Nice slam, but I choose not to shop at Walmart.

And I do not look upon RCCL as my host. I am a consumer when I book and take a cruise.

You may wish all you want that folks that disagree with you will sail with someone else, but it won't happen.

And as a consumer you create a contract with RCI when you agree to rent space in one of their cabins.

You rent space and you get guildelines for all kinds of things. Conduct onboard ship...what you can and cannot bring onboard...their rules...not yours.

There will always be people who push the envelope and do as they please..they will probably get away with it because they are usually cretins who will verbally abuse anyone who tries to gently remind them of the agreement they made with the cruiseline. They will smuggle booze..and hog chairs...and wear their gardening clothes into the MDR.

Getting away with things like that doesn't make them any less ignorant.

People are getting used to dealing with those who think they are entitled to do as they please.:rolleyes:

Actually, jeans come in really handy when you live up here in the frozen north. While you may not need them on the actual cruise, you still have to get to the airport and back from the airport in potentially sub-zero temps in February. Plus, jeans don't wrinkle like Dockers or dress pants when sitting in the airport and on a plane for several hours. I would hate to have to wear severely wrinkled Dockers or dress pants during the cruise, so jeans are the perfect option for in-transit.

Also, on some excursions jeans are good to have (e.g., horseback or ATV riding in San Juan). We wore jeans and tennis shoes and were so glad (we did the ATV excursion) because we were covered in mud afterwards.

We also wear jeans when we fly for the same reason, comfort and no wrinkles :)

I totally agree. What is wrong with wearing a pair of pants to dinner? The me attitude is getting old.

You will find that MOST people abide by RCI's dress code. Those who do not either cannot read, comprehend, or are just plain belligerently stupid.

You will find that MOST people abide by RCI's dress code. Those who do not either cannot read, comprehend, or are just plain belligerently stupid.

I totally agree. What is wrong with wearing a pair of pants to dinner? The me attitude is getting old.

I just cannot figure out which category my husband would fit into....

He is neither illiterate, unable to comprehend English, nor belligerently stupid.

I guess that means that he simply prefers to be comfortable while on vacation, as long as he is dressed presentably well (nice jeans, nice shirt - although I've now found out it will probably be sporting a few wrinkles because we aren't allowed to bring our travel iron).

This thread....another MDR dress code war....

Just like the McDonald commercial (cue music) "I'M LOVIN' IT"

Oh - wait a minute - McDonald's is kind of....um....well, I guess I probably shouldn't quote a McDonald's ad on a RCCL forum, should I? McDonald's is probably right up there w/Walmart, eh?

Coincidentally, one of the local Walmarts has a small McDonald's inside it. Imagine that...

This will be our first RCI cruise and I wanted to know if RCI permits men to wear jeans (not ripped or torn) to dinner along with a polo shirt or dress shirt on non formal evenings. On other cruise lines, this is permissible. If this is discouraged on RCI, then I can pack accordingly. Thanks for the help.

Yes, you can wear jeans. I've been on six Royal Caribbean cruises in the last six years and I wear jeans in the MDR all the time (except on formal nights).

I fail to see how choosing to be comfortable, is a me attitude thing. It doesn't hurt you to see someone in jeans. I bet the neighborhood kids all hate you huh?

Thank you for the response. I appreciate it.

Yes, you can wear jeans. I've been on six Royal Caribbean cruises in the last six years and I wear jeans in the MDR all the time (except on formal nights).

Was going to comment, but then said, nah...nothing anyone says on this or any similar dress code thread is worth anything to the person who disagrees with it.

So I decided to do it anyway. I am in agreement that RCI has their recommended dress code for their dining room. Do I have a problem living within those codes? Nope, actually enjoy them. (It's really the only time I get to wear those crazy flowered shirts I think are so cool at the store).

Will some folks ignore the codes? Yup, as is obvious with some of the posters on this thread. Personally I adhere to the dress codes. Perhaps that has to do with 22 years in uniform with Uncle Sam.

Do I understand why some folks feel so strongly about going against them? Nope not really. But then again I really don't give a rats patoot on what you do when you are floating with me and eating in the dining room. You don't agree with me and I don't agree with you, but it will not change my vacation. When I am with my bride all I see is her anyway. So if you want to come to the MDR wearing a thong and a light quart of oil I won't even notice you. I'll be concentrating on the love of my life.

Don't mind jeans if they are clean and not ripped. But aren't they kind of hot in the Caribbean?

I fail to see how choosing to be comfortable, is a me attitude thing. It doesn't hurt you to see someone in jeans. I bet the neighborhood kids all hate you huh?

Was going to comment, but then said, nah...nothing anyone says on this or any similar dress code thread is worth anything to the person who disagrees with it.

So I decided to do it anyway. I am in agreement that RCI has their recommended dress code for their dining room. Do I have a problem living within those codes? Nope, actually enjoy them. (It's really the only time I get to wear those crazy flowered shirts I think are so cool at the store).

Will some folks ignore the codes? Yup, as is obvious with some of the posters on this thread. Personally I adhere to the dress codes. Perhaps that has to do with 22 years in uniform with Uncle Sam.

Do I understand why some folks feel so strongly about going against them? Nope not really. But then again I really don't give a rats patoot on what you do when you are floating with me and eating in the dining room. You don't agree with me and I don't agree with you, but it will not change my vacation. When I am with my bride all I see is her anyway. So if you want to come to the MDR wearing a thong and a light quart of oil I won't even notice you. I'll be concentrating on the love of my life.

Please tell your wife I think she is one lucky lady! Bravo Bob, Jill

But then again I really don't give a rats patoot on what you do when you are floating with me and eating in the dining room. You don't agree with me and I don't agree with you, but it will not change my vacation.

I am in TOTAL agreement with this. I sincerely feel bad for people who let what others are wearing ruin their vacation (and no, I don't mean that in a bad way; I really do). I follow the dress code - if someone else does not, that is RCCL's problem, not mine.

Yes you can wear jeans, on non formal nights in the MDR I do every cruise at least twice I also wear long sleeve buttoned down shirts

It doesnt matter if it is 45 or a 105 degress I wont wear shorts in the MDR at dinner but that is me

But what bothers me is people wearing hats in the MDR not a fedora or nice hats but baseball caps How lazy are you that you cant comb your hair for dinner

Now do I say anthing to the staff or to the person, no, but my GF and I laugh about it and than go back to enjoying our vacation

Yes you can wear jeans, on non formal nights in the MDR I do every cruise at least twice I also wear long sleeve buttoned down shirts

It doesnt matter if it is 45 or a 105 degress I wont wear shorts in the MDR at dinner but that is me

But what bothers me is people wearing hats in the MDR not a fedora or nice hats but baseball caps How lazy are you that you cant comb your hair for dinner

Now do I say anthing to the staff or to the person, no, but my GF and I laugh about it and than go back to enjoying our vacation with not a care in the world

The thread goes on and on and on as the clothes police try to convince everyone to conform to their standard. If everyone strictly followed contracts we would not need civil courts deciding contract law. As it is the court is very busy with corporations and individuals breaking contracts regularly. This includes RCI who got slapped down by the Florida AG a few years ago. I guess they forgot to read the contract!

I'm a newbie to cruising but have travelled extensively on the land side. Have to chime in regarding dress code-if you don't wish to adhere to it, then cruise with someone else. I chose RC for my son's birthday present partly because there was a formal night. Sometimes it is nice to put on your big girl clothes and to be in the company of people who also want to. If you want to wear jeans to the MDR that's cool, but many people don't make the distinction between "nice" jeans and "what I wear to clean out the garage."

If you want to spend your vacation in jeans, a bathing suit and flip flops - great! Then choose a cruise line that is more laid back. Want to spend the vaca in a tie or a silk blouse and pearls? Then choose a more formal vaca. It's called choice, which is not to be confused with "I will do what I want wherever and whenever I want."

Just my two cents...

Archived