My Non-stop flight to Rome from LAX

billroddy

Guess that's one advantage of being short :D. I fly at least twice a year r/t to Los Angeles from Tel Aviv, and never have a problem when flying in coach, even if I'm in a middle seat (which I actually prefer- no one grabbing the back of my seat as they try to walk down the aisle mid-flight). I even prefer flying coach to Continental's old business/first seats- I used to find myself sliding down them, and could never get comfortable!

Same with the trip I took to Australia last year. Almost 15 hours from LAX to SYD, and easy.

I do get up to stretch and walk several times during the flight, and stand, stretching, for a half hour at least twice during the longer flights. One great tip I learned from flight crews is to drink plenty of water during the flight. In addition to the benefits to your skin and digestion of keeping hydrated, it also really helps with jet lag- and having to get up every now and then to use the restroom ensures you move around.

BTW- I rarely eat airline food. I bring my own, bought either on the way to the airport or at the airport, and eat lightly during the flight. After almost 20 hours in flight, and a 10 hour time difference, I find that within a couple of days of my arrival in LA I'm almost completely over my jet lag.

But, then again, your experience may vary- especially depending on your height! :p

One thing I suggest you check is whether your flight has a seat-back video system, and especially if it's video on demand. It makes the long flights so much easier to handle! If the answer is no, then I'd suggest loading your itouch, ipad, laptop, etc with several hours worth of tv shows or movies (check also to see if your row has outlets). I'm an avid reader, but find that on flights I much prefer watching to reading.

Enjoy!

Ruth

Great post and it lives up to your screen name !! I'd love to travel with you sometime, you have a great attitude. :)

I definitely second that. There is a lot of online information now about air cabin amenities - FlyerTalk is one of the better resources I have found for each airline. Serious travel talk there from people who know their technical stuff from the inside out.

FlyerTalk is great- I especially rely on it for catching the latest rewards offers for my air and hotel programs.

I turn to Seat Guru when choosing seats for a flight; it also provides info on in-flight amenities for each aircraft. But, I've found that most airlines also list flight amenities such as entertainment systems, etc right on their seat maps, and that info can usually also be found somewhere on each web site.

But, when I have the time, I always make sure to search through FlyerTalk before booking a flight- as SwissMyst says, it's the place to get the 'low down' from travel gurus, addicts, and 'geeks'. :cool:

What's the secret to non-stop to Europe?

Guess we're lucky to live in Chicago since we have never had trouble booking a non-stop to Europe. Perhaps you could look at larger, metropolitan airports within a decent driving distance of your home.

I have flown to Asia twice in one year. Once on Air China and once on Cathey Pacific.

The AC flight was the longest 16 hours of my life.

The CP flight was really pleasant for all 16 hours.

The difference?

Seat-back entertainment system!

I watched 4 movies, played trivia, saw a couple of sit-coms, programmed a music playlist, played BeJewelled...

I could have flown another 8 hours!

• 2 years later...
Will be leaving on the Prinsendam Oct 24 Rome to Ft Lauderdale.

My flight info received today.

LAX to Rome non-stop on Delta, operated by Alitalia.

Depart 3:25pm Arrive 12:15pm

Bill

Ancient Mariner

Bill,

So great to always hear what you have going on. Non stop is the ONLY way to go! Congrats! Enjoy the lovely MS-P. If i coud only dream, i have heard so many wonderful things,,, please keep a journal, and come back and share everything!

Be safe, healthy and god bless!

Bill,

So great to always hear what you have going on. Non stop is the ONLY way to go! Congrats! Enjoy the lovely MS-P. If i coud only dream, i have heard so many wonderful things,,, please keep a journal, and come back and share everything!

Be safe, healthy and god bless!

This thread is over two years old.

Bill

Ancient Mariner

We just got back from a 24 day Yangtze Experience (8 day land in China, then 16 days on Diamond Princess) We were excited because Princess had booked us on Delta for a direct flight from Seattle to Beijing.

I was relatively o.k during the long 10 hr flight, but then I never find the seats comfortable as I am short, but hubby was miserable due to not enough leg room.

We learned while on cruise, that Delta offers Economy Comfort Class. Our return flight was from Bangkok to Narita to Seattle. The first leg of the return flight we were unable to upgrade for the first leg (5 1/2 hrs), but via hubby's I-phone and from Bangkok, he was able to upgrade our seats to Economy Comfort for the second leg of the trip home (9hrs!!). It was definitely worth the extra $100 for him. I liked the fact that we were able to board early along with the business class folks and of course were able to easily put our carry ons in the overhead right across from our seats....instead of hunting for storage space as usual. Hubby was able to stretch his legs out and we were able to recline our seats a little bit more.

This thread is over two years old.

Oooooh, thanks for pointing that out! :p Oh, well, I hope that the info I provided regarding our recent nonstop Seattle to Beijing flight via Delta will be helpful to folks in deciding on an upgrade.

Bill

Ancient Mariner

You have been booked on airline... famous for bad seats, bad service,lost (or stolen) luggage, old tired planes rude crews and non existant customer service.

A non stop of 11.5 hours in such contitions will be hard in any airline unless in business class.

However, in coach it will, with Alitalia, be hell.

They dont have a first class, their business class is what others call economy plus... and in very old narow seats... they recline a bit but not like the lie flat ones

I would carry all my stuff, as much as I can as carryon and check only stuff you can use. Or ship it to the ship.

Dont take my word... read the reviews from travelers, travel agents

You have been booked on airline... famous for bad seats, bad service,lost (or stolen) luggage, old tired planes rude crews and non existant customer service.

A non stop of 11.5 hours in such contitions will be hard in any airline unless in business class.

However, in coach it will, with Alitalia, be hell.

They dont have a first class, their business class is what others call economy plus... and in very old narow seats... they recline a bit but not like the lie flat ones

I would carry all my stuff, as much as I can as carryon and check only stuff you can use. Or ship it to the ship.

Dont take my word... read the reviews from travelers, travel agents

Your advice is about two year's too late. Bill Roddy has left, cruise and returned home - guess you missed Sapper1's alert to the fact that this is a two year old thread:D:p:)

Archived