What is the best glacier to have on the itinerary?

owt205

Hi

Planning a family cruise to Alaska next Aug., and need help deciding which glacier should be on our list. We have been twice, and the first time it was Hubbard Glacier. What a wonderful day we had, great weather, and a nice long time viewing the calving, and enjoying the majesty of the scenery.

Second cruise, we were scheduled to do Saywer, but due to ice, we went to Tracy Arm, which was disappointing. Although the weather was fine, we could not get near enough to enjoy it.

As this will be a first cruise for most of the family, we want to make sure that the glacier day is the highlight.

Anyone have suggestions as to which is the best??? I know we will always be at the mercy of the weather, but I would like to hear from folks who have great memories of the various glaciers.

Thanks

Marjorie Glacier in Glacier Bay...without a doubt!!!!!

Barry

I would second this! Cruising into Glacier Bay also encompasses a trip into John Hopkins Inlet where you'll view (from a distance) John Hopkins Glacier and (much closer) Lamplugh Glacier. Just spectacular...:)

Glacier Bay and College Fjord have provided our some of our best glacier viewing opportunities on our Alaska cruises from the ship. If you have a long day in Juneau, you can also book a small boat excursion in Tracy Arm Fjord that will take you right up to the face of Sawyer Glacier. That was probably our very best glacier viewing experience. Also if you have a port stop in Whittier there are several small boat glacier excursions that get very good reviews. Sometimes the smaller boats can maneuver places where the cruise ships just can't for optimal viewing so if you have the opportunity I would encourage you to consider that option as well.

Haven't been to the others, but Glacier Bay was spectacular. As it's classified as a National Park, it's highly regulated, including traffic. You'll see several glaciers while cruising the bay, but the Johns Hopkins and Marjerie were the best!

We loved Glacier Bay. We were lucky and had fabulous weather. Would never try Sawyer Glacier again - same as you, too much ice to get to the glacier. I think it's very misleading to even have that on the itineraries.

Pictures below are from Glacier Bay:

2461444420104013758S600x600Q85.jpg

2826691690104013758S600x600Q85.jpg

For me, the single best glacier is Hubbard. One of the largest glaciers in Alaska and one of the most active. A Hubbard/Glacier Bay comparison is really an "apples and oranges" question but over the years I've seen much more calving and action at Hubbard than any at Glacier Bay.

We have cruised Glacier Bay before and yes, it is beautiful. However, Hubbard is No. 1 with us. We did B2B cruises this past May/June and the calving was out of this world. There was so much calving going on that our cameras couldn't keep up with the glacier. I realize that there are no guarantees when it comes to calving --- I guess it was our turn for a little bit of that luck past cruisers have talked about. :)

I think it is safe to say that both Hubbard and Glacier Bay are the "gems" of any Alaska cruise.

Look for cruises that do at least one of those two (some do both).

Exactly! When it comes to Tracy Arm and the Sawyer Glaciers, they are best seen from a small boat when you can get close.

I think having, now been to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier, if you want an 'all day' experience Glacier Bay is the best choice, but if you want to be wowed by one HUGE glacier, go to Hubbard. Either way its beautiful and very impressive to see the size of these glaciers!

In my book Hubbard Glacier is #1, with the visit to Glacier Bay, as a close second. Try to do both.

My wife and I took our kids to Alaska this year. We were on the NCL Pearl 8-8-10 and stopped at Glacier Bay. It was an excellent day, sunny 70 to 80 degees, clear blue skies, and perfect scenery.

We hope to go to Hubbard and Glacier Bay on the next Alaska cruise!

This is a picture of Margerie Glacier from our balcony on the stern of the NCL Pearl. Johns Hopkins Glacier and Lampugh Glaciers were great as well. The entire day viewing glaciers and mountains was magical. The entire park area is amazing to me.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_h6IwYMSs6kI/THFIRLXd68I/AAAAAAAAAB8/7eIqKTSicGI/s640/Alaska%20August%202010%20042.JPG

Archived