What do you do with your room key while you swim?

Loralie

What do you do with your room key while you are swimming? Also, we are going with 2 teenage boys (14 and 16) and I am afraid they will lose their room keys since they will be wearing shorts most of the time.

Any tips for a newbie?

Thanks,

Loralie

my husband wears shorts and swim trunks that have velcro cargo pockets to hold his cruise card. Otherwise, I have a small tote bag that I bring to the pool/beach, and store our cards there. Or, I put the card under my towel or under my shoes. Usually everyone in our group doesn't go into the water at the same time, so someone stays behind to watch the items.

Yes they can get wet. For my kids I bring a lanyard for them and we punch a hole in cards and kids wear them around neck. I stick my card in a book when I go into pool. If you do loose it go to the desk and they will cancel your card and give you a new one.

One of the first things I do when I board......head to the pursers desk and get them to punch a hole in one end of my card.... I then put it on my lanyard and around my neck it goes. I wear it this way all the time except to dinner in the mdr......then it goes in dh's pocket OR in my formal night cocktail purse.

Two suggestions

1. carry a water proof Surf Safe - they are smaller than a deck of cards and keep everything dry-you wear them around your neck. We wear these when in port and carry our credit cards, cash and sea pass. Tuck it in your shirt and no one knows you have it on. You can find these on amazon dot com and search for Surf Safe. Witz makes the best one!

2. you can wear a coil key chain on your wrist (found by any key section in stores). Just have the front desk punch a hole in your sea pass and you can wear it right on your wrist. We just bought some for our next trip and found them at Lowes.

At the pool, I stick my key in my book. At the beach, I do the same thing. Your seapass is linked to your picture, so no one can board the ship in your place. It's not like I'm ever out of sight of my "spot" at the pool or beach.....I'm not swimming the English Channel...I'm taking a dip!

We all wear lanyards on the ship. My boys 15 and 17 too. Right after we get off the ship, I collect all the landyards and put them on the BOTTOM of my tote bag. Someone is really going to have to dig to get to them. Just make sure you dont loose that bag. We dont bring alot of cash and only 1 credit card (just in case). Dont forget your license when you go ashore, you will need it to get back thru security at the docks.

There is not much someone can do with a stolen Seapass card.. It does not have your full room # on it. Any purchases need a signature, so you can dispute this at guest relations if it happens.

A new card can be issued in minutes.

As far as off the ship...who would want your seapass card??

You will need it to get back on the ship.

I see no reason to protect your card with your life.

We leave ours in our bag. The only thing DH carries (when we're ashore at a beach) is credit card and driver's license in a waterproof carrier around his neck or in a pocket that has a velcro closure which most men's suits do. As someone else said, losing your sea pass is not a big deal. We both had ours replaced because they quit working (somehow demagnetized at different times and no, not stored right next to other cards) and it took all of 10 seconds to have new ones made.

There is not much someone can do with a stolen Seapass card.. It does not have your full room # on it.

I would certainly agree about not needing to protect it with your life, but I wouldn't be cavalier about it, either. It does have your room number on it, except for the first digit, which wouldn't take long to figure out.

I'd rather not have to deal with disputing charges or getting a replacement either. But, yes, swim with it or stick it in your shoe out of sight.

I usually have guest relations puch a hole in my seapass and then I wear it on a lanyard around my neck everywhere I go on and off the ship.

As others have mentioned, some port security checkpoints require you to show your seapass card to gain reentry to the port area.

I'm sure lots of people have had their seapass cards lost or stolen while away from the ship. I'm sure they have procedures to eventually confirm your identity and allow you back into the port but who wants to go through that hassle if you don't need to.

I wouldn't let my seapass card get more than an arms length away from me while away from the ship.

I prefer the peace of mind knowing it is safely dangling from around my neck at all times. :)

There is not much someone can do with a stolen Seapass card.. It does not have your full room # on it. Any purchases need a signature, so you can dispute this at guest relations if it happens.

A new card can be issued in minutes.

As far as off the ship...who would want your seapass card??

You will need it to get back on the ship.

I see no reason to protect your card with your life.

Hi all: On the ship, I keep our cards in my little purse with suntan lotion, etc. Throw my coverup over it on my chair. Same at the beaches, bottom of bag, inconspicuous...So far, so good.

Can't obsess over everything!

Safe sails and enjoy!

I would leave it in my beach bag, or folded in my towel. Last summer I got reef flip-flops and I didn't realize until I got them home that the heel has a little tray that pulls out that a car key, credit card or money can fit in! They are the Reef Stash flipflops. They are heavier than my nike ones, but it will totally be worth it to pack them! They don't look any different from other flip flops and I have never had anyone take my shoes so I think that is going to work for me! They have the Stash 2 flipflop this year that look less bulky than mine but i'm not spending the money on another pair!

Archived