How to get to Dover from London?

We are doing 2 b2b cruises starting July 2, 2011 and wondered about the best way to get from London to Dover, and which airport we should try to land at. Our second Princess cruise sails back to NY so we have no problem at that end.

Sandy

Agree with Heathrow and then tube and train. Need a taxi to the port in Dover. You can also catch the train to Dover from Victoria Station. its about 30pounds oneway. takes 2-3hrs (on train not the whole trip). The ship will have options also - might check. The National Express Bus goes from Victoria and is about 19pounds but takes 4-5hrs.

For a private taxi/limo, it takes 2hrs and is about 200pounds.

Dover is about 100miles away from London Heathrow.

here is a website: http://londontoolkit.com/travel/heathrow_dover.htm

Are you spending overnight/time in London, or training to Dover the day before? I'd strongly recommend you don't fly in the morning of the cruise and then go through this effort. Add a day or even a few days and enjoy London and then train down, or fly in the day before and then relax in Dover. Makes it much less stressful.

Denny

Having been there I would fly into Gatwick and take the train to Dover. It's a lot closer to Dover than Heathrow is. You could also hire a car service to take you there but it can be a bit expensive. The train station is right at Gatwick airport and trains go to Victoria station or south to Dover. The train is a good fast way to get there and you can catch a taxi to the port from the station in Dover.

If you fly into Gatwick there are no direct trains to Dover, it will involve changes(not good with luggage). Getting from Heathrow to Dover would probably be easiest. Avoid the tube as it is difficult with luggage. Take Heathrow Express to Paddington, Taxi to Victoria and train from there to Dover Priory and taxi to port. However compared to overall costs of cruising I would look at a car service from airport to Dover. As the convenience may outweigh cost disadvantage.

Good luck Iain

If you fly into Gatwick there are no direct trains to Dover, it will involve changes(not good with luggage). Getting from Heathrow to Dover would probably be easiest. Avoid the tube as it is difficult with luggage. Take Heathrow Express to Paddington, Taxi to Victoria and train from there to Dover Priory and taxi to port. However compared to overall costs of cruising I would look at a car service from airport to Dover. As the convenience may outweigh cost disadvantage.

Good luck Iain

From my first post I would now agree wholeheartedly with Iain - that's the way to do it!! Either Charing Cross or Victoria are the stations to leave from for Dover .............

Strongly suggest (as a Londoner born and bred!) that you fly into either Gatwick or Heathrow. From there travel into central London on either the Gatwick or Heathrow Express trains.

Have a day or two to catch your breath and see the sights of London. I would strongly advise you not to try to fly in and get to Dover on the same day.

You can catch a train from London Victoria straight to Dover Priory on day of cruise (about 2 hours total travelling). Then you can take a taxi for the short (one mile) journey to the port.

Enjoy your cruise!

We took the National Express Coach (bus)from Victoria Coach station to Dover. The day before our cruise and stayed at the Premier Inn Ferry Terminal with a taxi to the dock - 5-7 GBP the next morning. The bus took about 2 hours with a couple of stops. The bus was comfortable, bathroom on board, and seatbelts. The bus driver said at the Ferry Terminal he was off duty then and he would take people to the cruise terminal expecting people to tip him since he didn't have to take them there. I was able to get the FunFare price - look under Specials - for 5 GBP/pp + 1 GBP for using a credit card a couple of months before the cruise.

Could I please ask why my answer to this post has been removed?

Not removed there is another thread still on Princess board as the OP started 2 threads on London to Dover and your post is still there.

There are no direct coach or train services to Dover from any London airport, you need to go via central London. Your London airport options are likely to be Heathrow or Gatwick, Gatwick flights tend to be cheaper.

The differences between Gatwick & Heathrow are likely to be marginal compared to cost & convenience differences in your flight options, so best to choose a flight which suits you, & take it from there.

Coach services run via the hub at Victoria coach station, so its very simple from either airport. Its also likely to be your cheapest option.

But its a slow & frustrating journey - Denny's mention of 4 to 5 hours total, which includes waiting time at Victoria, is pretty accurate.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/coach/index.cfm?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=ppc&utm_term=national+express+brand+-+journey+planner&utm_campaign=Extended+Brand

By train, I'm gonna disagree with other posters (sorry, folks).

Gatwick is easier than Heathrow, since you can take the train option from the airport to Victoria train station - and that's the same station for your onward journey to Dover Priory station. Total journey time about 2.5 hours.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/timetable/details?id=2&return=false&callingPage=t

From Heathrow there are various options, but they all include a taxi (or tube - but with luggage :eek:) between central London stations.

A pre-booked private-hire car from either airport avoids the need to go into London, Gatwick is mebbe 25 miles closer to Dover and less likely to suffer road delays. If Denny is willing to pay £200 for that journey, I'll gladly drive up from Southampton & chauffeur him personally :)

If you use a local Dover firm, such as http://www.dovertaxis.com/ (but there are others too, google Dover taxi rather than Heathrow taxi), expect to pay a great deal less than to those based at the airports.

The London Toolkit website quoted by Denny is excellent, it covers cruise ports as well as London.

The only major issue I have with it is the high costs quoted for private transfers. But then they earn their crust through private hire bookings :rolleyes:

If you choose to spend a day or two in central London, which I too would recommend, the differences between airports and modes of public transport are marginalised.

John Bull

I've been following this closely, because another poster gave me different directions a few months back. It seems all of the routes mentioned above have the same result...you'll reach Dover from London. The differences appear to be mode of transport, time, money, changes en route, and point of origin. That being said, I would really appreciate if John Bull et.al. from the "other end of the pond" would comment on the directions I was given, noted below. (Please be advised that my husband and I are healthy, ambulatory 50-somethings who aren't afraid to hoist our own luggage on the tube or train) .

I was told that after we clear customs at Heathrow, we take the tram to get on the tube/navy blue line (Piccadilly to St. Pancras). We exit at Kings Cross/St. Pancras, then walk indoors about 5 minutes and then catch the high speed train to Dover. We can then grab a taxi to the pier.

How does this sound? I'd really like to avoid the directions that involve taking two taxis...

I've been following this closely' date=' because another poster gave me different directions a few months back. It seems all of the routes mentioned above have the same result...you'll reach Dover from London. The differences appear to be mode of transport, time, money, changes en route, and point of origin. That being said, I would really appreciate if John Bull et.al. from the "other end of the pond" would comment on the directions I was given, noted below. (Please be advised that my husband and I are healthy, ambulatory 50-somethings who aren't afraid to hoist our own luggage on the tube or train) .

I was told that after we clear customs at Heathrow, we take the tram to get on the tube/navy blue line (Piccadilly to St. Pancras). We exit at Kings Cross/St. Pancras, then walk indoors about 5 minutes and then catch the high speed train to Dover. We can then grab a taxi to the pier.

How does this sound? I'd really like to avoid the directions that involve taking two taxis...[/quote']

Lots of different public transport options from Heathrow to Dover, as you've seen there isn't really a "best" route, its a matter of juggling priorities like time, cost, convenience.

I'm not a Londoner or a London transport expert, the likes of Globaliser, HanfordR, Simon & His Lordship know their stuff better than I, but they're probably all tucked up in bed right now. So I'll do my best, and they can contradict me later :D

The option you've been quoted is a viable one, probably quickest, among the cheapest bar the coach. The tube is certainly not the easiest with luggage, but you have no changes to make, so ok if you're fit & not over-burdened.

How you access the tube (the Underground) at Heathrow depends on which terminal you arrive at (there are 5) but it'll be well-signed. The line is indeed the navy blue "Piccadilly" line, but then that's the only tube line at Heathrow.

They start every 10 mins from stations at T4 or T5 & they all run through a station serving T 1/2/3 so its every 5 mins from there.

Buy your tickets from either the manned ticket office or the machines (card or cash). There's automatic turnstiles where you insert your ticket to access the platform, but with luggage far far easier to use the manned gate at one end of the turnstiles

Since you're boarding at the start you should have no difficulty finding seats, but it gets very crowded as you go through central London, or sooner during the morning rush hour. Get seats near the doors if you can, you may be glad you did when you get to your destination.

You'll need to keep your luggage safe & out of the way of those boarding or alighting.

A map of the route is repeated all along the train above the windows, and each station has ample station signs along the platform & the blank wall opposite, so you'll always know where you are & when you're getting near Kings Cross/St Pancras.

Your journey on the tube will be about an hour, make your move when the train gets to Russell Square, which is the stop before Kings X/ St Pancras - or earlier depending on circumstances, use your judgement, by now you'll know how it all happens.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf

Sorry, I don't know my geography at St Pancras (Londoners, any stairs/escalators/lifts?) or whether you'd find it cheaper to buy your tickets on-line in advance.

But the train journey to Dover (station is Dover Priory) will be a much more civilised affair than the tube was. Weekdays there's two trains per hour, one direct & one with a change at Ashford, journey time a little over an hour.

http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/planjourney/query

Then a short taxi hop to the cruise terminal (don't confuse with the ferry terminal, which is at the other end of town)

Here's a useful site - if cc blocks it, google "London Toolkit"

Good website, but overpriced private transfers

********************************travel/dover_london_transfers.htm

Print-off this post.

On a large piece of paper.

With room for plenty of amendments.

For when the Londoners give it a mauling :D

John Bull

ps - yep, London Toolkit site blocked.

So tell me, Denny, how come it wasn't blocked on your posting????:rolleyes:

As has been said, there are 3 options to get from London to Dover

Private car/Limo/Taxi----- Most convenient and if cost is no option, best way to go, but very expensive.

Train--A bit faster than the bus, but you have to 'lug' your luggage around, find a place to store it on the train, and if you have to transfer, you need to do it all over again on the next train. Average cost, but the luggage part turned us off.

The National Express Bus--Here I will disagree with my CC friend John, the trip is no where near 4-5 hours, even with all sorts of waiting time. The trip is listed as a bit under 2 1/2 hours. You know the exact time the bus will board so there is no reason to be there even 30 minutes before. You buy your tickets on line and just go. For us, this was the best option, PLUS if you wait a bit, the Bus offers these 'Fun Fares' for anywhere from 1 pound to 5 pounds EACH, a true bargain if there ever was one. Yes, you need to get to Victoria Coach Station, but when there, just wheel your bags to the driver and he stows them and hauls them out when you get there.

Plus, the best part, and this is no guarantee, but a popular practice, the driver may very well take you all the way to the crusie terminal, for a small 'tip'. On the train, you will need another taxi to get you from the train to the terminal. More lugging that luggage

We left London on the 8:30AM bus, arrived in Dover at 11 and we were let off right at the terminal. Couldn't have asked for anything better.

Cheers

Len

I was told that after we clear customs at Heathrow' date=' we take the tram to get on the tube/navy blue line (Piccadilly to St. Pancras). We exit at Kings Cross/St. Pancras, then walk indoors about 5 minutes and then catch the high speed train to Dover. We can then grab a taxi to the pier.

How does this sound? I'd really like to avoid the directions that involve taking two taxis...[/quote']

The route you describe is a good one, about the fastest, but not the cheapest option open to you and by train probably the least hassle interconnections from Heathrow

The 'tram' you mention is the London Underground. There are trains every 5 minutes from stations beneath the terminals. Its 18 stops to St Pancras and will take over an hour, cash cost until end of 2010 is 4.50 GBP.

Trains will be very crowded, though you should get a seat startng at Heathrow. You should be confident in carrying your luggage unassisted up and down escalators abd along long corridors. The novelty will have long worn off by the time you reach St Pancras,.

At St Pancras, if you follow the directions you come up within St Pancras Stations. There are hourly direct trains and indirect trains in between, again taking just over an hour to Dover Priory. Current one way off peak fare until end of year is about 33 GBP.

At Dover, taxi's take about 5 minutes to the cruise terminals and should cost about 7 GBP.

From landing at Heathrow, whole journey should take about 4 hours to cruise terminal including clearing customs at Heathrow

The road alternative by National Express Bus has the advantage of cheapness and cost and also a seamless change of bus at Victoria Coach Station, but is much slower the whole trip taking nearer 7 hours.

Cost per passenger will be about 20 GBP per passenger all the way.

If you buy separate tickets Heathrow to London, London to Dover its often a lot cheaper than buying a single ticket all the way from Heathrow.

By rail you don't need to buy tickets in advance.

By bus its worth buying etickets in advance, especially if there are promotional tickets available on the London - Dover sector.

As has been said, there are 3 options to get from London to Dover

Private car/Limo/Taxi----- Most convenient and if cost is no option, best way to go, but very expensive.

Train--A bit faster than the bus, but you have to 'lug' your luggage around, find a place to store it on the train, and if you have to transfer, you need to do it all over again on the next train. Average cost, but the luggage part turned us off.

The National Express Bus--Here I will disagree with my CC friend John, the trip is no where near 4-5 hours, even with all sorts of waiting time. The trip is listed as a bit under 2 1/2 hours. You know the exact time the bus will board so there is no reason to be there even 30 minutes before. You buy your tickets on line and just go. For us, this was the best option, PLUS if you wait a bit, the Bus offers these 'Fun Fares' for anywhere from 1 pound to 5 pounds EACH, a true bargain if there ever was one. Yes, you need to get to Victoria Coach Station, but when there, just wheel your bags to the driver and he stows them and hauls them out when you get there.

Plus, the best part, and this is no guarantee, but a popular practice, the driver may very well take you all the way to the crusie terminal, for a small 'tip'. On the train, you will need another taxi to get you from the train to the terminal. More lugging that luggage

We left London on the 8:30AM bus, arrived in Dover at 11 and we were let off right at the terminal. Couldn't have asked for anything better.

Cheers

Len

I think they were including the time from Heathrow to Victoria Coach Station but you are right....for most cruises, the 0830 bus gets to Dover at 1100...perfect time for checking in.....private car is best for comfort (door to door) but pricey....train is no bargain plus you have to shlep your baggage onto the train, shlep it off, catch a taxi to the terminal.

As noted, it seems fgrom talking to people, that it is almost a common practice for the driver of the coach to drop passengers on the 0830 bus at the cruise terminal! I paid £2 for my ticket plus £1 credit card fee....I took the tube the morning of to Victoria and since the two or three block walk to Victoria Coach station is a bit uphill, I just hopped on a #11 (or a 211) bus one stop to the coach station (getting too old to walk uphill even though bag is on wheels; younger people might not find that aproblem) so on my oyster card it was £1.80 for ther tube and £1.20 for the one stop bus rid so the total expenditure from my hotel to the cruise terminal was £6...somehow it seemed worth it!

The route you describe is a good one, about the fastest, but not the cheapest option open to you and by train probably the least hassle interconnections from Heathrow

The 'tram' you mention is the London Underground. There are trains every 5 minutes from stations beneath the terminals. Its 18 stops to St Pancras and will take over an hour, cash cost until end of 2010 is 4.50 GBP.

Trains will be very crowded, though you should get a seat startng at Heathrow. You should be confident in carrying your luggage unassisted up and down escalators abd along long corridors. The novelty will have long worn off by the time you reach St Pancras,.

At St Pancras, if you follow the directions you come up within St Pancras Stations. There are hourly direct trains and indirect trains in between, again taking just over an hour to Dover Priory. Current one way off peak fare until end of year is about 33 GBP.

At Dover, taxi's take about 5 minutes to the cruise terminals and should cost about 7 GBP.

From landing at Heathrow, whole journey should take about 4 hours to cruise terminal including clearing customs at Heathrow

The road alternative by National Express Bus has the advantage of cheapness and cost and also a seamless change of bus at Victoria Coach Station, but is much slower the whole trip taking nearer 7 hours.

Cost per passenger will be about 20 GBP per passenger all the way.

If you buy separate tickets Heathrow to London, London to Dover its often a lot cheaper than buying a single ticket all the way from Heathrow.

By rail you don't need to buy tickets in advance.

By bus its worth buying etickets in advance, especially if there are promotional tickets available on the London - Dover sector.

Well well..national express bus the same day as arrival from LHR...if you are familiar with the London Underground or even if not, it's easy to understand....follow the signs to the Picadilly line tube station at Heathrow....get an oyster card (£3 deposit)...put say £5 on it....off peak fare from Heathrow to central London on oyster £2.20...at Hammersmith an easy across the platform transfer from the Picadilly line train to a District line train to Victoria...take about 40 to 45 minutes....at Victoria, you exit and as I noted can either walk a bit (not overwhelming but a bit) uphill to Victoria coach station or as I did hop on a #11 or #211 bus (£1.20 on oyster)....when you return to London, you already have your oyster card...

Pros...cheap and convenient.

Con....have to count on airline to be relatively on time....getting on the tube at Heathrow is not a big deal...escalators easy to negotiate but getting off at Victoria involves 2 short flights of steps....if you have one bag it's fine...more than one bag, not so fine.....

The National Express Bus--Here I will disagree with my CC friend John, the trip is no where near 4-5 hours, even with all sorts of waiting time. The trip is listed as a bit under 2 1/2 hours.

Cheers

Len

Hi, Len

No, no disagreement. :)

Just posting at cross-purposes :p

My quote of 4 - 5 hours, incl waiting time, was posted for Heathrow or Gatwick to Dover, made up of around an hour airport to Victoria coach station, waiting on average about an hour for a Dover coach, then the 2 1/2 hour coach to Dover which you quote. That's the only way to get to Dover from either airport using a scheduled coach.

I couldn't believe Denny's post that it was 4 to 5 hours :eek:, so I checked it out on Nat Express's website. And Denny's right.:cool:

BTW Dover cruise terminal isn't a scheduled stop. But as Matha's post, and as you experienced, many drivers oblige by calling in there & helping you with a big - and expectant ;) - smile.

Regards,

JB

If you are travelling in a group of 4 or more, private hire taxi is really not necessarily expensive at all...add to that the convenience of not having to haul cruising luggage around, especially after a long flight with little sleep.

We were a group of eight that recently travelled to Dover from Heathrow. We used Dover Heritage Taxi, http://www.dovertaxis.com/, who transported us in a modern and very comfortable vehicle. The total cost for each of us, including all our luggage, tip, and a 2-hour stop along the way to experience magical Leeds Castle, was 30 GBP! The driver even drove us around Dover for a close-up look at the White Cliffs and Dover Castle, before dropping us off right at our ship. We found this to be a totally hastle-free, fun experience at a very modest cost.

Sam

If you are travelling in a group of 4 or more, private hire taxi is really not necessarily expensive at all...add to that the convenience of not having to haul cruising luggage around, especially after a long flight with little sleep.

We were a group of eight that recently travelled to Dover from Heathrow. We used Dover Heritage Taxi, http://www.dovertaxis.com/, who transported us in a modern and very comfortable vehicle. The total cost for each of us, including all our luggage, tip, and a 2-hour stop along the way to experience magical Leeds Castle, was 30 GBP! The driver even drove us around Dover for a close-up look at the White Cliffs and Dover Castle, before dropping us off right at our ship. We found this to be a totally hastle-free, fun experience at a very modest cost.

Sam

I have a question. What is the difference between cruising luggage and just plain luggage? I went on a 12 day cruise with the same 1 piece of luggage I always use for a land tour or whatever of 12 days and managed thank you very much. Perhaps people bring too much luggage?

Sam

You are right Sammy. If you have a group of people who will share the cost of the taxi/limo/whatever it may well work out better for all. But for single couple or even 2 couples, that just may be a bit too expensive.

Cheers

Len

By train, I'm gonna disagree with other posters (sorry, folks).

Gatwick is easier than Heathrow, since you can take the train option from the airport to Victoria train station - and that's the same station for your onward journey to Dover Priory station. Total journey time about 2.5 hours.

I agree wtih John Bull.

The change of trains at Victoria is all at the same level, which makes this easy.

The other route from Gatwick to Dover by train usually involves changing at Tonbridge. I don't know the station layout there, and there's a decent chance that the change will not be step-free.

From Heathrow there are various options, but they all include a taxi (or tube - but with luggage :eek:) between central London stations.
If you land at Heathrow and you are prepared to brave the Tube, then I strongly recommend Victoria over Charing Cross. This is because you can do an easy cross-platform change from the Piccadilly Line to the District Line at Barons Court (or Hammersmith in the morning peak or inclement weather), and then it's direct to Victoria. However, getting out of Victoria Tube to the mainline station with luggage is not for the faint of heart.

To those of you who weighed in on my earlier questions, a heartfelt and warm "thank you" for taking the time to outline the different ways to get from Heathrow, Gatwick, and London to Dover. I'm sure there will be many CC readers who will search and print this over the next few months while planning for next summers' busy cruising season.

We may end up sharing private transportation with another couple after all, since we managed to snag business class seats yesterday using airline miles after a TWELVE HOUR ordeal online and over the phone to do so. Still undecided about it though, because there's something about riding a train that really appeals to me. Must be because I'm a native Californian...we travel by car all the time. The train just seems so "exotic" to me (okay, I can hear all of you easterners and Europeans laughing your heads off right now:D)

Archived