How about the Golden for Hawaii?

CALMOM

I want to book a cruise to Hawaii from Los Angeles and was thinking about booking on the Golden. I heard she had a major remodeling in 2009 and is a very nice ship.

Have you sailed on her? Have you sailed on her to Hawaii? I have sailed on the Island and the Diamond, how does the Golden compare?

Thank you for your help.

Calmom You will Love this ship. We have sailed on all three. The Island and the Golden to Hawaii. The Diamond to Mexico. Since the remodel the Golden is are Favorite. It has MUTS and the International Cafe and the Crown Grill, all are Great. Our first Hawaii cruise was on the Island in 2006. This year in March on the Golden. The Golden feels better, a little larger and more dinning choices and more to do. If you have more questions I will try to help you.

Calmom You will Love this ship. We have sailed on all three. The Island and the Golden to Hawaii. The Diamond to Mexico. Since the remodel the Golden is are Favorite. It has MUTS and the International Cafe and the Crown Grill, all are Great. Our first Hawaii cruise was on the Island in 2006. This year in March on the Golden. The Golden feels better, a little larger and more dinning choices and more to do. If you have more questions I will try to help you.

Thank you, I appreciate it. You kindly offered, so here I go:

1. How was the weather when you were there this March?

2. What week of March did you go?

3. What age group was on the Ship in March?

4. Does it matter if your cabin is on the Port or Starboard side?

5. Did you notice the waters being rough when you left Los Angeles?

6. If so, what areas of the trip were the roughest?

7. Was it warm enough to be out by the pool?

8. What activities did they have for you for the Days at Sea?

9. How were the evenings, quiet or active?

10. I have heard complaints about the food, how was the food?

11. Did you go to any of the Specialty restaurants?

12. Did you have tender at any of the ports?

13. What did you do in each port?

14. Anything special you would recommend to pack for cruising to Hawaii?

15. Did you see whales from the ship?

16. Did you do a Whale Excursion, if so, how was it, & who did you use?

Sorry for all the questions but I wanted to take the opportunity while I could. Thank you so much for your help.

We were on the March 13 sailing this year, and it was wonderful, as usual. The Golden is a great ship, and I would love to sail on her again.

Cool in LA, and the first couple of se days ....... as usual.

2nd

Mixed, but probably a preponderance of 60s plus.

Not really. We generally choose starboard though.

A little bumpy for about a day going out of LA this time, but not really rough, Other 2 times, it was not bumpy at all.

Starting about the 3rd day it warms up noticeably

Too numerous to list. But the CD on this cruise works with the Hawaiian music performers, ELUA, to provide a lot of Hawaii themed activities .... lei making, ukulele lessons, hula dance lessons, and other things Hawaiian, in addition to the usual types of activities.

9. How were the evenings, quiet or active? There were the usual shows, the disco in Skywalkers, etc.

We found the food and choices to be good.

We ate at the Crowne Grill for dinner twice .... really good food and great service. We also had the Pub Lunch twice (held in the Crown Grill). The real highlight was the Chef's Table ..... very much worth the extra charge. It's more of a dining experience than just a meal.

SInce we have done this cruise 3 times, we didn't do any excursions this trip. But I would recommend, if you a

have not been to Hawaii before, for Hilo ...Volcanoes Nat'l Park; for Honolulu .... Pearl Harbor; for Maui .... whale watching; for Kauai .... we like the little beach that is near the pier, accessible by free shuttle.

Long pants and a light jacket for the first and last couple of sea days; for Hawaii itself ... summer attire.

Yes, especially around Maui

We did on our first cruise. Saw lots of whales,which was really awesome to see them so nearby. We did the ship's excursion.

Calmom,

1. The weather is so variable I don't think our experience would be in any way a prediction of yours. We had sun, clouds, rain and rainbows.

2. We went the second half of March this year.

3. Honestly It seemed like a 40 to 70 range, but YMMV

4. Port or starboard cabin location is immaterial to us.

5. Perhaps there was a bit of a chop, but no big deal at all.

6. It was a very smooth trip

7. Absolutely it was warm enough for the pool

8. Many and varied activitied available, including but not limited to, ukelele and hula lessons, lei making and naturalist talks.

9. We are early to bed folks...can't answer this.

10. LOVED the food.

11. Yes enjoyed the specialty restaurants, especially Sabatini's

12. Lahaina, Maui is a tender port

13. Honolulu we rented a car and drove to the Polynesian Cultural Center. Lahaina DH walked around the town, I stayed aboard and photographed breaching whales from our balcony!!!! Kuai we rented a car and toured. The same with the Big Island.

14. Binoculars and a super zoom camera

15. Yes...lots and lots of them. You will especially see them around Maui, but they are everywhere! Check out our pictures.

16. No

Hope this helped,

Marlee

Thanks so much for the answers to the questions and pics! We will be going on the Golden at the same time in 2011...very exciting! We have never been on the Golden so your pics were really great.:D So....all we have to do now is plan...for 7 months:p

RLM77, I cannot thank you enough for your photos of the Golden Princess and Hawaii. The pics of the ship itself were some of the best I've seen. The color is just great. I also thnk you for your comments. I have been thinking of this trip in 3/11, am just about ready to book. But I had questions and you answered them nicely. This would be #3 to Hawaii, 1 land, and 1 other cruise where we flew to Honolulu. I was very worried about 8 days at sea. But it seems like I can use the Sanctuary. And watch for whales.

Thanks again

What great info! We do the Golden 01/19/11 and looking forward to it, especially now.

Only been on the Island Princess thru the Canal and enjoyed Her a great deal. We usually cruise Celebrity, but going Princess for Hawaii and then the around-the-UK. Fun to try various Lines even when you think you have a favorite.

I'd like to do the Ships tour, which I understand you wait to sign up for on the ship, and then the Chef's Tabl;e, do we sign up for that early or onboard?

We are usually ship-focused so looking forward to the 4-day to-fm and going to the MUTS and so on. And of course, seeing Volcanoes, maybe buying a Ukulele and playing it for fun! Drive my poor wife nuts!

Denny

Another benefit to the Golden is the Hawaiian Culural team "ELUA" that orchestrates a large percentage of the daily activities and pool side Hawaiian music. They are on the golden during the entire Hawaiian season. Very good programs, excellent live music and really nice people too. And the Cruise Director is David Cole, the best of the best in my opinion.

We were on the March 13 sailing this year, and it was wonderful, as usual. The Golden is a great ship, and I would love to sail on her again.

Cool in LA, and the first couple of se days ....... as usual.

2nd

Mixed, but probably a preponderance of 60s plus.

Not really. We generally choose starboard though.

A little bumpy for about a day going out of LA this time, but not really rough, Other 2 times, it was not bumpy at all.

Starting about the 3rd day it warms up noticeably

Too numerous to list. But the CD on this cruise works with the Hawaiian music performers, ELUA, to provide a lot of Hawaii themed activities .... lei making, ukulele lessons, hula dance lessons, and other things Hawaiian, in addition to the usual types of activities.

9. How were the evenings, quiet or active? There were the usual shows, the disco in Skywalkers, etc.

We found the food and choices to be good.

We ate at the Crowne Grill for dinner twice .... really good food and great service. We also had the Pub Lunch twice (held in the Crown Grill). The real highlight was the Chef's Table ..... very much worth the extra charge. It's more of a dining experience than just a meal.

SInce we have done this cruise 3 times, we didn't do any excursions this trip. But I would recommend, if you a

have not been to Hawaii before, for Hilo ...Volcanoes Nat'l Park; for Honolulu .... Pearl Harbor; for Maui .... whale watching; for Kauai .... we like the little beach that is near the pier, accessible by free shuttle.

Long pants and a light jacket for the first and last couple of sea days; for Hawaii itself ... summer attire.

Yes, especially around Maui

We did on our first cruise. Saw lots of whales,which was really awesome to see them so nearby. We did the ship's excursion.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions, I really appreciate it

Calmom,

13. Honolulu we rented a car and drove to the Polynesian Cultural Center. Lahaina DH walked around the town, I stayed aboard and photographed breaching whales from our balcony!!!! Kuai we rented a car and toured. The same with the Big Island.

15. Yes...lots and lots of them. You will especially see them around Maui, but they are everywhere! Check out our pictures.

16. No

Hope this helped,

Marlee

Yes, it definitely helped. Wow, I can't believe you saw whales breaching from your balcony, that is so great. I can't wait. Thank you.

:DThis past June 2010 we were on the Golden for an Alaskan cruise. We had sailed before but on Carnival. We have already booked another cruise with Princess. Our favorite spot on the ship was the aft area. Great for viewing wildlife and the overall quietness of it. We even saw crew personal actually obey the signs for the Adults Only pool.

The dining options were better in the dining rooms than the buffets.

The embarkation and disembak were so fast were were amazed!

I know you will love this ship. The only complaint are the beds. I found them to be hard so be sure to ask for the egg crates.

On our next cruise we have A744 all the way in the aft.

I want to book a cruise to Hawaii from Los Angeles and was thinking about booking on the Golden. I heard she had a major remodeling in 2009 and is a very nice ship.

Have you sailed on her? Have you sailed on her to Hawaii? I have sailed on the Island and the Diamond, how does the Golden compare?

Thank you for your help.

Speaking of whales, when we sailed into Hilo early A.M, with a light fog hovering over the bay there, we watched lots of baby whales playing on the surface as if we were in a whale sanctuary. The ship crept along very slow to avoid them. We had a portside Caribe balcony, great view.

Thank you for your help.

The Golden is one of our favorites - we've done the 14 Hawaii (in 2009) and have signed up again for 2012 - thats how much fun that trip was! Enjoy - I know you will!

Thank you for your help.

We did this cruise on the Golden in February. We did an entire blog with lots of photos of the entire ship and reviews and pictures of the food and so much more. It was a fantastic cruise. There are even photos from the cabin crawl we did with our CC group.

You can check it out here:

http://thegeomonkeys.com/category/hawaii-2010/

You will love this cruise, especially if you love sea days.

We did this cruise on the Golden in February. We did an entire blog with lots of photos of the entire ship and reviews and pictures of the food and so much more. It was a fantastic cruise. There are even photos from the cabin crawl we did with our CC group.

You can check it out here:

http://thegeomonkeys.com/category/hawaii-2010/

You will love this cruise, especially if you love sea days.

OMG, I LOVE the pictures and especially the journaling of our Hawaii Cruise February 2010. I have perhaps a silly question but how do you do a presentation like that. I barely understand how to do power point. I am just so amazed how awesome it looks. Thank you for taking the time, I am an avid scrapbooker so I know it took considerable time to put it together.

Did you see whales because of the time of year you went? We'll be going end of Sept. do you think we will see whales then?

The whales leave Alaska in December and head for Hawaii warm waters to have their babies. The whales then leave Hawaii in April to head back to Alaska. I'm not positive but I don't think your chances are very good.

Archived