After cruise - how to get food before flight to LGA?

TrnrMom

Maybe we'll have to bite the bullet & buy food at the airport, but I would really prefer to get some NYC sandwiches or wraps for the plane ride home (Midwest/Frontier - no food served). We dock @ 7, and are toying with the idea of walking the suitcases off & catching a cab to LGA. Flight leaves @ 1:30. Checking the suitcases @ Schwartz' for a couple of hours doesn't seem cost effective. (Allowing 45 minutes taxi time & getting there 2 hours early).

Any ideas how to accomplish this or how much it would cost? Hop a cab, direct them to deli, ask them to wait & then to airport?? Cab to Grand Central Station, hit the basement stalls & leave suitcases with spouse upstairs??

PS We are docking in Manhattan since QEII is in Brooklyn.

Maybe we'll have to bite the bullet & buy food at the airport, but I would really prefer to get some NYC sandwiches or wraps for the plane ride home (Midwest/Frontier - no food served). We dock @ 7, and are toying with the idea of walking the suitcases off & catching a cab to LGA. Flight leaves @ 1:30. Checking the suitcases @ Schwartz' for a couple of hours doesn't seem cost effective. (Allowing 45 minutes taxi time & getting there 2 hours early).

Any ideas how to accomplish this or how much it would cost? Hop a cab, direct them to deli, ask them to wait & then to airport?? Cab to Grand Central Station, hit the basement stalls & leave suitcases with spouse upstairs??

Go to Grand Central for food??? What are you looking for?? I would just have the cab driver stop at a deli along the way. A deli I especially like over many years is Z Deli on 8th Ave.

You can pass by a hundred delis on this transit. Do some homework and find a deli you wish to try that is along the way. Pretty simple.

Go to Grand Central for food??? What are you looking for?? I would just have the cab driver stop at a deli along the way. A deli I especially like over many years is Z Deli on 8th Ave.

You can pass by a hundred delis on this transit. Do some homework and find a deli you wish to try that is along the way. Pretty simple.

Since you'll have to leave Manhattan by 11:30AM, I'd grab something along the way. The most famous place on your route would be Carnegie Deli. You can easily split one sandwich between two people and look up their menu online ( http://www.carnegiedeli.com/menu.php ), call and place the order, and pick up along the way.

You really aren't going to have enough time to stop and eat anywhere and you'd have to schlep your luggage with you.

Don't forget to get a couple of black and white cookies for the plane ride:cool:

Since you'll have to leave Manhattan by 11:30AM, I'd grab something along the way. The most famous place on your route would be Carnegie Deli. You can easily split one sandwich between two people and look up their menu online ( http://www.carnegiedeli.com/menu.php ), call and place the order, and pick up along the way.

You really aren't going to have enough time to stop and eat anywhere and you'd have to schlep your luggage with you.

Don't forget to get a couple of black and white cookies for the plane ride:cool:

Thanks ...not living in Manhattan, I have only a fuzzy picture of 1) where exactly we are docking - somewhere around 92nd St - I think...and 2)how one would normally go to LGA (dangerous, since we'd be at the mercy of the cabbie)...so knowing the Z Deli & Carnegie are reasonably on the way helps. We'll be in NYC before the cruise, so can conduct in person research while we're in our midtown/Central Park explorations.

What is the normal wait charge or is it negotiable? Would a car service be more likely to be amenable to this?

Thanks ...not living in Manhattan, I have only a fuzzy picture of 1) where exactly we are docking - somewhere around 92nd St - I think...and 2)how one would normally go to LGA (dangerous, since we'd be at the mercy of the cabbie)...so knowing the Z Deli & Carnegie are reasonably on the way helps. We'll be in NYC before the cruise, so can conduct in person research while we're in our midtown/Central Park explorations.

What is the normal wait charge or is it negotiable? Would a car service be more likely to be amenable to this?

You'll be docking at either Pier 88, 90 or 92, which are located at 12th Ave. and 48th, 50th or 52nd St., respectively. The cruise terminal is not far from Carnegie Deli, which is at 7th Ave. and 55th St.

Waiting time in a taxi is metered...40 cents per minute.

I suggest booking a reliable car service such as Dial 7, (212) 777-7777 and get a fixed fare quote that includes your stop for food, although they may tell you that the fare will be higher than the quote if your stop is longer than planned.

You'll be docking at either Pier 88, 90 or 92, which are located at 12th Ave. and 48th, 50th or 52nd St., respectively. The cruise terminal is not far from Carnegie Deli, which is at 7th Ave. and 55th St.

Waiting time in a taxi is metered...40 cents per minute.

I suggest booking a reliable car service such as Dial 7, (212) 777-7777 and get a fixed fare quote that includes your stop for food, although they may tell you that the fare will be higher than the quote if your stop is longer than planned.

Ah....now that REALLY helps...I was definitely confused on the location of the docks.

Re: Dial 7 - I imagine they have a system where you call them, when you know what your disembarkation time is? I was toying with the idea of walking off with the suitcases, but we may have a bit too much.

Last - a Carnegie Deli sandwich might take us 2 days to eat! Has anyone tried the Hello Deli (W. 53rd, featured on Letterman) or Cafe Abbandanza on W 46th?

Ah....now that REALLY helps...I was definitely confused on the location of the docks.

Re: Dial 7 - I imagine they have a system where you call them, when you know what your disembarkation time is? I was toying with the idea of walking off with the suitcases, but we may have a bit too much.

Last - a Carnegie Deli sandwich might take us 2 days to eat! Has anyone tried the Hello Deli (W. 53rd, featured on Letterman) or Cafe Abbandanza on W 46th?

There is a reason Carnegie has been famous for the last zillion years. Hello Deli of more of a Korean grocery store and not a deli. If it wasn't for the Letterman Show, no one would know this place existed except for the local businesses and residents.

Will you be allowed to bring sandwiches through Security? I suppose it may vary by location, but in Boston they don't allow it unless it's unopened, prepacked stuff. Food brought onboard flights is prepackaged or purchased after going through security.

Will you be allowed to bring sandwiches through Security? I suppose it may vary by location, but in Boston they don't allow it unless it's unopened, prepacked stuff. Food brought onboard flights is prepackaged or purchased after going through security.

The TSA rule says food has to be wrapped. It doesn't say it has to be prepackaged. It even allows "half-eaten fruits". I guess there's always the possibility of some TSA agent making his own interpretation of what "wrapped" means.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1667.shtm

All food must go through the X-ray machine. Do NOT bring food to the security checkpoint unwrapped, as shown in the image on the right.

Food must be wrapped or in a container. Unpeeled natural foods like fruit are okay, but half-eaten fruits must be wrapped.

I can't say what Dial 7's exact procedures are, but some car services want to know an approximate pick up time when you make your reservations so they have a car waiting in the general area, and then they ask you to call them when you actually are off the ship and through customs and immigration so the car can be dispatched to the pick up point.

The TSA rule says food has to be wrapped. It doesn't say it has to be prepackaged. It even allows "half-eaten fruits". I guess there's always the possibility of some TSA agent making his own interpretation of what "wrapped" means.

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1667.shtm

All food must go through the X-ray machine. Do NOT bring food to the security checkpoint unwrapped, as shown in the image on the right.

Food must be wrapped or in a container. Unpeeled natural foods like fruit are okay, but half-eaten fruits must be wrapped.

I wasn't questioning what the rule says, merely making them aware that in Boston it would be a problem. Actually, it's a problem in Aruba too. I know I'd be pretty po'd if I took the trouble to go get a sandwich only to have to throw it out because TSA won't allow it through!

I wasn't questioning what the rule says, merely making them aware that in Boston it would be a problem. Actually, it's a problem in Aruba too. I know I'd be pretty po'd if I took the trouble to go get a sandwich only to have to throw it out because TSA won't allow it through!

OK...well they're not flying from Boston or Aruba, and my point is that technically under the rules it shouldn't be a problem even in Boston. Aruba doesn't count...it's a foreign country...you're not being screened by the TSA there.

OK...well they're not flying from Boston or Aruba, and my point is that technically under the rules it shouldn't be a problem even in Boston. Aruba doesn't count...it's a foreign country...you're not being screened by the TSA there.

Aruba does count........... You are screened by TSA & clear US Customs before you enter the gate area. Just like @ airports in the US.

And MY point is there is a possibility that they may not be allowed to take their sandwiches through the security checkpoint. Regardless of what the rule says.

Aruba does count........... You are screened by TSA & clear US Customs before you enter the gate area. Just like @ airports in the US.

And MY point is there is a possibility that they may not be allowed to take their sandwiches through the security checkpoint. Regardless of what the rule says.

The restrictions on food items coming through the Aruba airport is due to USDA APHIS requirements that prohibit the importation into the US of most fresh fruits, vegetables, meat products, etc., not TSA prohibitions.

This (APHIS) is not an issue with US domestic flights, such as the one the OP will be taking.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/

Not to be argumentative, and this is getting off topic, but I have brought food through security in Boston that wasn't pre-packaged.

I know sometimes security makes interpretations on rules, so if the OP was stopped, I would be sure to ask to speak to a supervisor before throwing the sandwich out.

Yes, I've had Hello Deli sandwiches, even talked with Rupert. :) Very good, prices are "standard"..

Not to be argumentative, and this is getting off topic, but I have brought food through security in Boston that wasn't pre-packaged.

I know sometimes security makes interpretations on rules, so if the OP was stopped, I would be sure to ask to speak to a supervisor before throwing the sandwich out.

I've taken food from Legal Seafood at the US Airways terminal on the plane before on several occaisions. My last was a lobster roll and it wasn't pre packaged.

Thanks for bringing this up - we've had this problem coming into the US or going into other countries...but not domestically. Sandwiches from home (not wrapped in foil!) have been fine.

I can't say what Dial 7's exact procedures are, but some car services want to know an approximate pick up time when you make your reservations so they have a car waiting in the general area, and then they ask you to call them when you actually are off the ship and through customs and immigration so the car can be dispatched to the pick up point.

Looks like I'll need to call them, anyway - I need to confirm our other two reservations. Then I can ask about wait time - its mentioned on their website. I'll repost here when I find out the answer.

Yes, I've had Hello Deli sandwiches, even talked with Rupert. :) Very good, prices are "standard"..

Then we'll have two choices...will have to see if we can try both of them, while in the city precruise...also plan on taking menus & phone #s. Thanks everyone!

Mhttp://new.mapquest.com/ maybe this map will help. The airport entance is on 94th street. I tried to paste the map It didn,t work. Their are a bunch of deli,s on astoria blvd. around 94th street. do a map quest serch for east elmhurst NY 11370.

Archived