7.4 earthquack today in Christchurch!

pj4jj

Hi everyone - yes we had another aftershock today. It was no bigger than any we've had previously but a little closer and more shallow which meant it did cause a few hiccups! It wasn't pleasant by any means but the bigger ones are a good thing as they release more energy! Prefer them during the day too! I'm a preschool centre director so had a busy job helping get lots of little ones under tables and door frames then fielding about an hour and half of calls from worried parents.

As for the cruise season - we shoulc cope fine. The Lyttelton tunnel was closed for a couple of hours today but only for routine checks after the aftershock. In general life is just going on for most people (even those in limbo with their homes still go about their everyday lives). The cruise season will be great for us - bringing money and people back into our awesome city. Don't be afraid! The people here have already experienced the worst of it!

Heard the news when I woke up here in Los Angeles a few hours ago. I was hoping that kiwigirl would post an update for us all. So glad to hear that everyone is okay. I, for one, can't wait to see your lovely city in January.

Hi all - just reporting in after the big concert here in Christchurch today. I have just come home from the big benefit concert in Hagley Park (kind of like Central Park). There were more than 120 000 people there! It started at11:00am but we got there at 10:00am and it finished a little after 8:00pm so was a very long day. What a fantastic time though. All the best New Zealand bands and artists gave up their time to perform, the weather was stunning and I am a little sun burned for the first time this season (even after wearing sunblock). Didn't feel any aftershocks at all either - although the ground was rocking from the music anyway!

OK - so Mother Nature was good to us yesterday for the big concert but boy has she just made us pay (on my side of town anyway)! I was just walking through a park towards my local supermarket when there was a very loud bang then a rumble. I could see the ground moving in waves and looked up and could see the houses and lamp posts moving etc. - Freaky! It knocked out the power in our area and the supermarket was evacuated. Power is back on now thankfully. Turns out it was only a 4.8 (smaller than some we've had) but centered just a couple of km from my area just off shore. No wonder it felt so bad here!

Thanks pacmom - that's definitely a very NZ attitude! It's actually amazing how much I've evolved over the last 7 weeks. Of course the aftershocks are still scary but I've gone from someone who was literally paralyzed with fear every time one hit to someone who is now not going to let them get the better of me. I'm still a little jumpy with noises at night and still have a hall light on when I sleep as the dark is not my favourite place anymore. However I'm getting on with life and enjoying it each day (and counting down until my Caribbean cruise in April!). Yesterday's aftershock actually fascinated me as it was amazing watching it outside as it happened and seeing the effects it had on the ground and everything around me.

• 2 weeks later...

kiwigirls1972 I'm coming to see you and will be there Nov 29th. If you get this message let me know if you'll be around and if you'd like me to bring you something from California? I'm leaving here on Thursday the 11th so let me know by the 9th. Hope all is well with you.

Pam

Kia ora,

The following extract from a local press release may help to give an idea of the extent of physical damage arising from the recent earthquake near Christchurch:

The Earthquake Commission has paid out more than $145 million to residents affected by the Canterbury earthquake two months ago, a small proportion of the claims for damage as the state insurer continues to be swamped by demand.

The EQC has paid $145.1 million on 12,904 claims for damage to buildings, contents and land from the 7.1 magnitude earthquake that struck the region on September 4.

The insurer, which has received a total of 140,176 claims, was still receiving hundreds of claims a day and urged Canterbury residents to lodge claims as soon as possible if they have not done so.

The damage is expected to cost billions of dollars to fix, and the Insurance Council has called the earthquake the largest single insurance event in New Zealand history.

"Further to that, we believe that EQC itself is handling the largest number of claims ever by any single insurance organisation in the Southern Hemisphere," EQC chief executive Ian Simpson said.

"This has stretched our ability to deal with those claims yet we believe we are making good progress.

Of course we are fully aware of the frustration of many claimants and grateful that most appreciate the enormity of the task and accept that it will be some time before the process will be complete," he said.

Insurance assessors were averaging more than 800 property inspections a day, with about half of those properties seriously damaged, and half through a fast-track system of claims likely to be under $10,000.

On top of this are the claims being handled by other insurers.

Aquarians

PJ - I sure will be around. How long are you in Christchurch for? I love California - would be my next choice of home if I didn't live here. I don't expect you to bring anything but it would be great to meet you. Are we allowed to put our e-mail address on here?

By the way - the cruise ship season is alive and well in Christchurch. I was on a 3 day course at a beautiful place called Living Springs for 3 days this week. Living Springs is just around from a place called Governors Bay which is around the bay from the harbour of Lyttelton. We were lodged up at Bell bird Heights which is right at the top of the hill. On Wednesday morning I stood on our balcony in the early hours of the morning and watched the Sun Princess cruise into port. It was a glorious morning too! We had one aftershock that was felt while we were up there. The girls who had traveled in from out of town just about needed a change of underwear - lol! Poor things. We had 11 aftershocks over night and I think a couple woke me up but I didn't really feel them - I just looked at my clock and noted the time then checked Geonet this morning. I don't think any of us really understood the major impact this would have on our lives and city and the fact it will keep on impacting us for a long time yet.

Are we allowed to put our e-mail address on here?

Not really. Main reason being that "computer robots" pick them up and then you get spammed.

Some folk do it though by spelling it out the long way ....eg instead of @ put at, and instead of . spell out dot. That way it does not come up as a link that can be picked up.

eg so and so at my provider dot co dot nz..

but over to you..

just remember the Whole Wide World can read anything you post.

kiwigirl1972, we are coming in on the Sun Princess at 8:00am and are there for the day....I'll bring a sign with me that says I'm PJ4JJ and hold it up at the dock. I'm not sure if we dock or use boat to get into Christchurch....do you know? I can give you a time if I knew. Does anyone know?:confused: Maybe We can meet for lunch, our treat!

Talk to you soon.

pamhj@sbcglobal.net:)

I would suggest a visit up the Gondola if it's a nice day - gorgeous views! The number 28 bus from Lyttelton stops there. I would also go into the city centre (same bus) and just explore - visit the museum, arts centre and botanical gardens - this is the most beautiful part of the city. A ride on the tram or punting on the Avon is also good. I believe a free shuttle runs from the ship to the information centre where you can catch the bus into town.

I'm bummed too. Would be tempting to take a day of leave but I have none to spare as I've used a bit this year and need the rest for own cruise next year!

Also Ballantynes (department store in the city) may have its Christmas window set up by then - it's always worth a look. I enjoy wandering along High St Mall. If you head towards the Bridge of Rememberance (you will find a little Greek cafe on the right called Dimitirs (just ask anyone in town where to find it - they will know). They do the best Greek Souvlaki anywhere (I always get double chicken!). I usually get mine then find a seat under a tree or down by the river and just people watch.

• 2 weeks later...

we've just come back from NZ Definitely do the punting on the Avon, and I'd recommend the botanical gardens punt over the city one :) We did the gondola also and loved that too. We booked the triple pass so banged about on the tram as well, that was ok, but out of the 3 not as enjoyable! Christchurch is a really really lovely pretty city. Have your camera charged and memory free, I filled 4 gig in 3 days over there!! LOL :D

• 3 months later...
kiwigirl1972 (and everyone else in Chch): Really sorry to hear about the new one today.

Thank you for your message.

This earthquake today,felt almost as strong as the September quake, but because it's a shallower quake the damage is devastating, numerous deaths and injuries.

Aftershocks have continued throughout the afternoon, wish the ground would stay still.

The road tunnel to the port of Lyttelton is closed.

It was good there was no cruise ships in Christchurch today!

Thought the Europa was supposed to be there today???

Listing shows Asuka II due 23rd , PacificSun 25th and the Queen Mary II on Sat 26th.

If teh Europa was there sincerely hope all the passengers are OK, when we stopped off we loved the square at the Cathederal (climbed all 138 or so steps).

Chairlift OK I assume if the tunnel is OK.

Sincerely hope all the passengers on the Europa are OK, it was due to sail ex Lyttleton this afternoon but if pax were on tours they may not be able to return to the ship. Even worse they could have been doing some shopping in Christchurch.

Assume the Asuka II and Pacific Sun will make alternative arrangements rather than call at Lyttleton on 23rd and 25th ..... ditto the Queen Mary II ...not the time to be visiting a disater area.

To our Kiwi, friends, although we take the Pi5s out of you we trully sorry for what has happpened in your beautiful city.

Trust all our CC members over there are OK.

Archived