Flight arrives to Orlando at 1:30pm, boat leaves at 4:30. Can he make it?

bhpeters

Make sure he is sitting as far forward in the aircraft as possible. It's 15 minutes from the front to the back during de-planeing. Wear the uniform. Airtran will move military to Business Class if we have space and he is in uniform. What carrier is he flying on? It is definetly possible. Hard - but possible. But - don't you all have to check in together? Would the rest of you have to wait on him to check in at the pier?

E-Beth

Wow! That is going to be cutting it close! On another note, I having retired from the U.S. military and having supervised troops for many of those years, I can say that unless he is participating in some type of military exercise, his supervisor would have to be pretty sorry to not let him get out a little earlier on his leave if he knew he was going on a cruise and had to be there by a certain time. I would go up the chain of command to my commander and if he says no, then that would be it.

I'd go for it - doing carry-on only, running thru the airport (I bet he's in good shape)..... what an adventure! Of course, he'll want to be sure to have trip insurance. :D

But I'd definitely go for it - seriously, why not? It's just him, by himself? And yes, make sure he wears his uniform - most people will gladly give up a place in line for a guy in a uniform, I know I would. If anyone deserves a vacation, it's one of our servicemen.

Trip insurance would not cover this.

I thought there was something called "Cruise Catch Up Insurance" or something like that? Try google-ing it, I know I've seen it before but I'm not sure of the details - not something I would use but I believe it has to do with delayed flights or missed connections.

I thought there was something called "Cruise Catch Up Insurance" or something like that? Try google-ing it, I know I've seen it before but I'm not sure of the details - not something I would use but I believe it has to do with delayed flights or missed connections.

There is usually a time frame specified such as 'carrier must be delayed at least 6 hours'. It is a different amount of time depending on the policy you have. You must read through the terms. They don't reimburse you for making a bad booking decision.

just checked the itinerary..the ship has a day at sea, then Labidee..he would have to fly to Jamaica and catch up with you on the 3rd day...

do you have any details of where he is flying from? Seems there are a lot of knowledgable folks replying here that might be able to help you find a flight to

a smaller airport at a better time.....

ANd please give him our thanks for his service....if I lived in Florida I would pick him up and drive him myself!

As for the 90 minute rule...when we cruised in Feb, RCCI waived it for us as we had to drive during a blizzard. Turns out that we arrived hours ahead of schedule, but they had granted us an extension to 1/2 hour before sail time. I had it in writing on a letter head that they e-mailed me.

Best of Luck!

KAt

I'm just curious.....can you buy airfare on your own and still get the RC transfer?

If he had to get to the first port of call on his own it will be at his own expense (and it isn't cheap....I know someone who did this and it was very expensive). She paid $800 to fly to Grand Cayman to board the ship there.

Yes anyone can buy the transfers. The RC reps are at baggage claim.

just checked the itinerary..the ship has a day at sea, then Labidee..he would have to fly to Jamaica and catch up with you on the 3rd day...

do you have any details of where he is flying from? Seems there are a lot of knowledgable folks replying here that might be able to help you find a flight to

a smaller airport at a better time.....

ANd please give him our thanks for his service....if I lived in Florida I would pick him up and drive him myself!

As for the 90 minute rule...when we cruised in Feb, RCCI waived it for us as we had to drive during a blizzard. Turns out that we arrived hours ahead of schedule, but they had granted us an extension to 1/2 hour before sail time. I had it in writing on a letter head that they e-mailed me.

Best of Luck!

KAt

Kat may have hit on the best option with the current setup. Ask RCI for permission to potentially show up late (after final check in, before sail time). The 90 minute rule is there for the Homeland Security manifest. I'm pretty sure he can be listed on it if they know he's on the way.

Oh, yes, talk to RCI about this and see if they will grant you a exemption from the 90 minute rule. That would be fantastic! He could make it if they would. Get on the phone and ask for a manager right off the bat. Go up the chain until you get someone who can make this happen. Good luck.

PS - what carrier is he flying?

E-Beth

I was just browsing the RCCL website (looking for Express Departure info) and it said that for departure manifest reasons, you need to be there 60 minutes prior to the scheduled sailing time.

I seriously think this guy should give it a try - but I'm not one to hesitate to take a chance when it comes to something like this. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

I was just browsing the RCCL website (looking for Express Departure info) and it said that for departure manifest reasons, you need to be there 60 minutes prior to the scheduled sailing time.

I seriously think this guy should give it a try - but I'm not one to hesitate to take a chance when it comes to something like this. Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

finish reading that paragraph............esp the last sentence. The manifest has to be submitted 60 mins prior,but you have to checked in and on board 90 mins prior.....

Due to new government regulations requiring cruise lines to submit final departure manifests at least 60 minutes prior to sailing, guests are requested to complete Online Check-in no later than 3 days prior to their cruise. If you do not complete Online Check-in 3 days prior, you will be required to complete this process at the pier at least two hours prior to the published sailing time. Please note: All guests must be checked-in and onboard the ship no later than 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time or you will not be permitted to sail. s.gif

Wow, thanks for all the responses. He'd be coming from Denver, I didn't think to look at other airports, just assumed flying into Orlando was best. I'll look into that. His wife (my sister) would be coming from Omaha, we're leaving out of Kansas City. It's a crazy mess, and I just don't think he'll be able to go. Especially if trip insurance doesn't cover if he misses the boat in this situation, I thought it did. That was very helpful info.

I'm more at peace with it now, I agree it stinks that he can't get an earlier flight... Denver doesn't have anything to Orlando that leaves around 6am, which would be best, only option is 8 am, which doesn't get there in time.

The sad part is we booked this exact cruise because it didn't conflict with him military duty or my sister's work schedule and then this thing comes up. Ah well, such is the life of military families. I appreciate everyone's offer to help, maybe I'll find a different cruise date and will get lucky on prices. :rolleyes:

The good news is they didn't ever book anything (I suppose they're used to this kind of thing) and were waiting, we went ahead and booked ours because we can go without them, just don't want to. We're before final payment so we can change the cruise, but we have booked airfare through southwest so we can change those tickets without too much trouble I think. Thanks everyone.

Wow, thanks for all the responses. He'd be coming from Denver, I didn't think to look at other airports, just assumed flying into Orlando was best. I'll look into that. His wife (my sister) would be coming from Omaha, we're leaving out of Kansas City. It's a crazy mess, and I just don't think he'll be able to go. Especially if trip insurance doesn't cover if he misses the boat in this situation, I thought it did. That was very helpful info.

I'm more at peace with it now, I agree it stinks that he can't get an earlier flight... Denver doesn't have anything to Orlando that leaves around 6am, which would be best, only option is 8 am, which doesn't get there in time.

The sad part is we booked this exact cruise because it didn't conflict with him military duty or my sister's work schedule and then this thing comes up. Ah well, such is the life of military families. I appreciate everyone's offer to help, maybe I'll find a different cruise date and will get lucky on prices. :rolleyes:

The good news is they didn't ever book anything (I suppose they're used to this kind of thing) and were waiting, we went ahead and booked ours because we can go without them, just don't want to. We're before final payment so we can change the cruise, but we have booked airfare through southwest so we can change those tickets without too much trouble I think. Thanks everyone.

Sorry that it looks like he won't be able to go. There really should be an exception to the rules and regulations for our service men and women.

Please thank him from us for his service to our country and our projection!

Dont suppose he could fly out shortly after midnight on the 23rd??? would get into MCO in the morning..(USAirways)

ag_dllogo_3.gif

Delta Air LinesFlight 1416 / 1593

1:10am Denver, CO (DEN)

10:33am Melbourne, FL (MLB)

7hrs 23min - 1 Stop

Change planes in Atlanta, GA (ATL)

$338

per person

Total $380

ag_uslogo_3.gif

US AirwaysFlight 498 / Flight 2580 operated by US AIRWAYS EXPRESS-PSA AIRLINES

12:59am Denver, CO (DEN)