What paperwork do I need to take to the pier?

Sailing on the Majesty on Sept 27. I have sailed on RCCL before but for some reason I forgot everything I need.

I obviously know that I need my ID and birth certificate, but I was more so talking about RCCL documents.

Setsail pass, ID, and Credit Card.

Sailing on the Majesty on Sept 27. I have sailed on RCCL before but for some reason I forgot everything I need.

I obviously know that I need my ID and birth certificate, but I was more so talking about RCCL documents.

:cool:Now days they prefer a passport as a means of identification. You can go online and execute your seapass.:cool:

I thought passports were required now when leaving the country. My sister lives in Canada and we were required to have one to cross the border.

For closed loop cruises (embarking & disembarking form the same port) Americans are allowed to use a certified birth certificate, and another government issued photo ID. That is only for a cruise. For land travel you are required to have a passport.

I thought passports were required now when leaving the country. My sister lives in Canada and we were required to have one to cross the border.

U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID.

Oops, I see rummenroman and I were posting at the same time.

Getting our passport books today. Passport books aren't required for Canada, Bermuda, Mexico or the Caribbean, BUT Passport Cards are. IMHO if your going to the effort for the card you might as well get the book. The book costs a bit more, but it's not restrictive like the card.

Interesting. I have had mine for almost 10 years now so it's no issue for me. I always carry it. My fear with not having a passport would be getting back in the US if you get left behind or need to leave leave the ship for any reason. I know, I know it probably won't happen but I don't want to take a chance not being able to get home ASAP if needed.

Getting our passport books today. Passport books aren't required for Canada, Bermuda, Mexico or the Caribbean, BUT Passport Cards are. IMHO if your going to the effort for the card you might as well get the book. The book costs a bit more, but it's not restrictive like the card.

Passport cards are NOT required for Canada, Bermuda..etc.. they were actually created to make things easier for frequent border crossings as in Canada & Mexico...they can be used as ID for cruises but if you need to fly home for some unforseen reason they aren't as easy as a passport...

Okay, now I'm confused.

CB at Sea, you say we don't need anything if we completed everything online. What about the Set Sail Pass that we printed off, and the document that has your name and credit card info on it. Two different things aren't they? We don't need to bring either?

Thanks,

Okay, now I'm confused.

CB at Sea, you say we don't need anything if we completed everything online. What about the Set Sail Pass that we printed off, and the document that has your name and credit card info on it. Two different things aren't they? We don't need to bring either?

Thanks,

Bring your set sail pass that you printed. If you do happen to forget to bring or lose it, it's not a huge deal. You'll have to get in an extra line is all.

Interesting. I have had mine for almost 10 years now so it's no issue for me. I always carry it. My fear with not having a passport would be getting back in the US if you get left behind or need to leave leave the ship for any reason. I know, I know it probably won't happen but I don't want to take a chance not being able to get home ASAP if needed.

I agree. Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Worth the peace of mind.

Disclaimer: I haven't ever tried to board with the absolute "minimum" amount of paperwork...

I would suspect the absolute minimum thing you need to actually "bring" in the form of something tangible is your ID / Proof of Citizenship documentation, and some way to pay your on-board expenses.

You obviously need a certain amount of intangible information to complete the boarding process, so it doesn't really make sense to me to get too hung up on what you need to "bring" with you to the check-in counter.

All the information on the Set-Sail pass is important, including the signature on the contract. I don't know if they require you to inform them of an emergency contact or not. The Set-Sail pass is designed to take the work load of providing that information away from the check-in process, and it seems to work well. If you've completed the form on-line, then all that information is already in their computers, and they would probably print out a copy for you to sign and initial in all the proper places.

I think most people just display their ID/PoC, let them swipe the credit card, give them the signed and initialed Set-Sail pass, and also fill out a "how are you feeling today" form, which I think they started doing a while back with all the attention that the Norovirus (or maybe SARS... or maybe both?) was getting.

Just some thoughts.

Theron

Just a warning...if your current name doesn't match your birth certificate because of marriage, make sure to bring your marriage certificate. Without it you will not be able to board the ship.

Passport cards are NOT required for Canada, Bermuda..etc.. they were actually created to make things easier for frequent border crossings as in Canada & Mexico...they can be used as ID for cruises but if you need to fly home for some unforseen reason they aren't as easy as a passport...

The ferry crossing from Port Angeles to Victoria, British Colombia does require at minimum a Passport Card. This I know for a fact, as this is where my family lives and we travel there often. Otherwise all information I provided is from the U.S. State Department web site.

You don't need any of the documents...as long as you filled out the online thing, you're good...your BC and DL are fine. No need to spend more money for a passport.

After you fill out the forms online, you should bring a printed copy of the seapass along with you and the credit card you used when you filled it out on line and the ID you must have for your curise. Bring all 3.

This all makes getting on board so much faster.:)

Don't show up empty handed.:(

Just a warning...if your current name doesn't match your birth certificate because of marriage, make sure to bring your marriage certificate. Without it you will not be able to board the ship.

Are you sure about this? I am traveling with a friend who does not have a passport and asked my TA this very question who assured me this is not a problem. I don't remember bringing my marriage certificate back before I had my passport.

Are you sure about this? I am traveling with a friend who does not have a passport and asked my TA this very question who assured me this is not a problem. I don't remember bringing my marriage certificate back before I had my passport.

Carnival asks that you bring proof of name change. RCL doesn't.

Never heard of anyone being denied boarding on RCL because they didn't bring marriage license.

You will hear stories of people who were asked for it, as well as people who were not asked for it. As for what you did or didn't have to bring in the past, remember that a lot has changed since 9/11/01. In the end, if your friend has her marriage license, why not just bring it? Much less stressful than worrying about what might or might not happen if she doesn't.

Yes, I am sure. My DH & I have passports, but our friends that cruised with us last January out of the Port of Miami, did not. Since her birth certificate name did not match her drivers license due to marriage, they were denying them boarding the ship. We even had them ask for a supervisor, but the supervisor said the same thing. They had to contact a neighbor and have them break into their house and get the marriage certificate and fax it to RCCL in Miami.

Carnival asks that you bring proof of name change. RCL doesn't.

Never heard of anyone being denied boarding on RCL because they didn't bring marriage license.

I was there and witnessed it. In fact, I saw several couples that day who were being denied boarding because of not having their marriage license with them. (No passports)

Archived