An "AH-HA" moment

catrick

My husband is 6'4" and taking a shower in our stateroom was like him trying to squeeze in to a tuna can! A few cruises back my husband had an ah-ha moment while visiting the spa. The showers in there are huge compared to the ones in the staterooms. He has taken his showers in there ever since :-)... Curious if anyone else has had the lightbulb come on for an idea to get around common little problems while cruising that others may haven't thought of yet that you would like to share.

My husband is 6'4" and taking a shower in our stateroom was like him trying to squeeze in to a tuna can! A few cruises back my husband had an ah-ha moment while visiting the spa. The showers in there are huge compared to the ones in the staterooms. He has taken his showers in there ever since :-)... Curious if anyone else has had the lightbulb come on for an idea to get around common little problems while cruising that others may haven't thought of yet that you would like to share.

Do they allow this for free? I've never partaken of a spa treatment on ships.

:cool:First cruise I let RCCL get plane reservations. Arrived Miami, bus to ship, arrived 2:15 LONG LINES. Got on at 3:00. Light bulb went on. Next cruise, Miami again. Went down day early. Stayed in RCCL recommended hotel. They had representative in lobby at 7:30 to register passengers. Bus arrived 10:15, and was on ship by 10:45. Only passengers on ship. I have been going down for any cruise (unless I drive) a day early, and showing up NLT 10:45:cool:JACK IS SAILING AGAIN:cool:

The showers, sauna and steam rooms are actually in the gym locker rooms. I usually use those showers to wash my hair.

Cool - I was planning to try the sauna on this cruise, and wasn't sure if I would have to pay for it!

If you are on Oasis, there is no free sauna or steam room in the locker rooms....one of my pet peeves about Oasis.

Booking your own tours can save you some money. But, keep in mind in some smaller ports the ship can buy up all of them and you end up with not being able to do something you really want to do.

We almost found this out the hard way in Alaska on a helo tour to the glacier. Luckly, a shop owner overheard us talking about how much trouble we were going to be in with the wives when we couldn't find an open air tour office to book a helo tour (all said "sold out" on the window.) He made some calls for us and got us one late in the afternoon for about 15% cheaper than off the ship.

Remember, "it is what it is".

Thanks for your "AH-HA" moment. We have always cruised in a suite so the size of the shower did not matter. In July I am surprising my husband with a 5 day cruise to Bermuda and could not justify the extra cost for the suite. I was concerned about him in the small shower as he is also a big guy. Now, we have another option if he is too uncomfortable!

Kathy

I've had many AH HA moments while cruising, but the latest was realizing that I could bring my own disposable coffee cups/w lids, to replace the small mugs of coffee that do not do well on a windy day. :rolleyes: I learned that the hard way while walking across the pool deck one morning and received some nasty burns. :(

Booking your own tours can save you some money. But, keep in mind in some smaller ports the ship can buy up all of them and you end up with not being able to do something you really want to do.

We almost found this out the hard way in Alaska on a helo tour to the glacier. Luckly, a shop owner overheard us talking about how much trouble we were going to be in with the wives when we couldn't find an open air tour office to book a helo tour (all said "sold out" on the window.) He made some calls for us and got us one late in the afternoon for about 15% cheaper than off the ship.

Remember, "it is what it is".

We don't wait until we get off the ship to find something. We always book months in advance. Go to the Ports of Call boards here and you will find some highly recommended operators in every port. When you find something that interests you, book it.

One of my many AH-HA moments was realizing that the jogging track is nowhere near as good as walking/jogging the promenade deck. First 3 days of my cruise I felt like a hamster on a wheel with a hundred other hamsters and sun worshippers ...and then hubby discovered the promenade;)

Though just a tad shorter(more like a foot LOL), I have been using the gym/spa showers on and off depending how claustrophobic the in cabin shower is. Especially with the showers that have curtains, it is nice to not have one clinging to you while you try to wash.

One of my many AH-HA moments was realizing that the jogging track is nowhere near as good as walking/jogging the promenade deck. First 3 days of my cruise I felt like a hamster on a wheel with a hundred other hamsters and sun worshippers ...and then hubby discovered the promenade;)

SHHHHHHH! don't tell everyone the secret:D! It's great down there, not having to pass the slow folks or get run over by the speed merchants.

Archived