Aqua Class vs Concierge Class

lv2cruz80

Am I correct that Blu is smart causal everyday despite days when formal dining is in the common MDR?

I have come to think that maybe formal nights is something I want to experience but if I select Aquaclass then I might miss out of this and look out of place wearing a Tux in Blu?

For those with expereince in Blu do you miss formal dining since Blu becomes Aquaclass passenger's MDR? Have you seen anyone wearing formal attire while in Blu on formal nights in the common MDR?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

On a recent 12 night cruise we had 3 formal nights. My husband wore a dark suit and I a dress to the first 2 in Blu (and it seemed most did dress up), but by the last one we were starting to feel too relaxed to dress up again. We went smart casual and I was surprised at how many men had suits and tuxes and that most women seemed dressed up, as a rule. You won't feel out of place in formal wear in Blu and you will fit in well in many other places on the ship on formal nights. Since the majority of the passengers eat in the MDR, many will be in formal wear at bars for pre-dinner cocktails, shows, etc.

Enjoy your cruise!

If you have prepaid your tips, it should include all 'tippable' personnel. However, there IS no 'concierge' (although it is logical to expect one.) You are paying for your room steward and assistant, waiter and assistant, assistant maitre d', and some random few dollars for head housekeeper IIRC.

We have pre-paid tips from our TA. Does this include the concierge you get with cc or Ac?

If not, how much are we supposed to tip this person?

There is a concierge on the ship; however the concierge services are not just for people in certain classes of cabins. The concierge serves everyone on the ship.

On a recent 12 night cruise we had 3 formal nights. My husband wore a dark suit and I a dress to the first 2 in Blu (and it seemed most did dress up), but by the last one we were starting to feel too relaxed to dress up again. We went smart casual and I was surprised at how many men had suits and tuxes and that most women seemed dressed up, as a rule. You won't feel out of place in formal wear in Blu and you will fit in well in many other places on the ship on formal nights. Since the majority of the passengers eat in the MDR, many will be in formal wear at bars for pre-dinner cocktails, shows, etc.

Enjoy your cruise!

We did a B2B in November,Eastern Med and TA, on the Equinox. Had 5 formal nights and I don't recall seeing anyone in Blu dressed "Smart Casual" on those nights. Tuxes and suits for the men and formal wear for the ladies. Maybe it was the itinerary and the longer cruise, but everyone dressed up even though the dress code for Blu is smart casual every night.

Then why do you have to select your dining time on Celebrity's web site?

It is NOT you it is X. The website is horrible. If you enjoy being frustrated just try to review their shorex. If you get through 2 ports w/o being locked out you are lucky or a MIT Computer whiz.

Love X but they need to hire a few teenagers to correct the multiplke bugs

carole

Yes, your room steward will refresh the tea and water every day when they make up the room or do your evening turndown. If you order room service, it could be your steward or someone else. If it's a different person, as is common in the early mornings, I always tip a couple of dollars when they bring the food. If it is our steward and he/she is bringing a full meal (as opposed to coffee) I tip $5-$10 on the spot in addition to what I have prepaid. No need to tip for your afternoon canapes.

Edited by CathyCruises

Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks! :)

I am planning for a NZ/Australia cruise in 2013 so I wonder if the formal wear demographics will be different.

I am still deciding between a concerige class or the Aquaclass. The only factor that puts concerige class in my consideration is the priority seating preference listed as one of the feature as I do not like to sit with others and will only go for a table for 2. If I book a 1A stateroom I am afraid my partner and I will be seated with other passengers. Can I request for a table for two pre-cruise for early/late/select dining and what are the chances I will get that if I am in 1A instead of concerige class? The next option is to go for Aquaclass as I hear Blu is mostly 2 seater?

We only tip the concierge when we use his services. On most cruises we never need the concierge for anything and therefore do not tip him.

When staying in a concierge stateroom there is a slightly higher gratuity charge for the stateroom attendant, but that has nothing to do with the concierge.

It really would have helped to avoid the confusion if they had picked a different name than "concierge" to call that stateroom category.

Thanks! :)

I am planning for a NZ/Australia cruise in 2013 so I wonder if the formal wear demographics will be different.

I am still deciding between a concerige class or the Aquaclass. The only factor that puts concerige class in my consideration is the priority seating preference listed as one of the feature as I do not like to sit with others and will only go for a table for 2. If I book a 1A stateroom I am afraid my partner and I will be seated with other passengers. Can I request for a table for two pre-cruise for early/late/select dining and what are the chances I will get that if I am in 1A instead of concerige class? The next option is to go for Aquaclass as I hear Blu is mostly 2 seater?

Please do not make the mistake of booking Concierge Class for the priority seating. It means nothing!!!! Just book your regular balcony stateroom and request a table for two. When you board the first day, go straight to see the maitre d' and check in your table. If it's not what you want, he will change it for you. OR book Select Dining and when you make your reservation specify that you want a table for two.

I must say that some of the best friends I have made on our cruises have been our tablemates and we always request a large table so we can meet new people, but to each his own.

Please do not make the mistake of booking Concierge Class for the priority seating. It means nothing!!!! Just book your regular balcony stateroom and request a table for two. When you board the first day, go straight to see the maitre d' and check in your table. If it's not what you want, he will change it for you. OR book Select Dining and when you make your reservation specify that you want a table for two.

I must say that some of the best friends I have made on our cruises have been our tablemates and we always request a large table so we can meet new people, but to each his own.

Thanks Cathy, with the reassurance that the pulling factor of priority seating for concerige class on my part is pointless I am looking at 1A stateroom for other solstice date and found an 18 day NZ/Australia cruise.

My dilemma now is whether I should go Aquaclass (for comfortable table for two in blu) for the original planned 12 days NZ/Australia cruise or go for 1A in the 18 days cruise. Both will end up costing about the same with flight and hotel adjustment. Its hard to decide! :D

Oh boy!! If it was me, I would go for the 18 days in a heartbeat!!! Think of it this way--you are on the same ship, sleeping in an identical cabin except for a few relatively meaningless amenities, and you can sail for 1 1/2 as many days for the same price!! What ship are you looking at?

Oh boy!! If it was me, I would go for the 18 days in a heartbeat!!! Think of it this way--you are on the same ship, sleeping in an identical cabin except for a few relatively meaningless amenities, and you can sail for 1 1/2 as many days for the same price!! What ship are you looking at?

I am looking at Celebrity Solstice :)

I am looking at Celebrity Solstice :)

Great ship, we were just on her in November in the Med. We also have done Aqua on sister ship Eclipse. We are sailing on Eclipse again in April and specifically decided against AQ, not because of the money but because we really like dining with more than just the two of us (who have dinner together every night). It's all personal preference, but with all that travel and expense I sure would want to maximize my vacation.

In fact, on our Solstice cruise, as we walked by the inside cabins, I even thought those would be fine if the price was right--they are identical to the balcony cabins, AQ, and CC! So only you can decide if the 'extras' are worth giving up the extra 6 nights.

Then why do you have to select your dining time on Celebrity's web site?

I suspect it has more to do with the parent company's bad IT/web dept. But I also think it gives the restaurant manager an idea of whether their dinner business will skew early or late. I always go around the selected time first night, and after that, when I feel like it. Although, when I feel like it always tends to be around late-seating time.

I just called Celebrity, and for no extra charge was "upgraded" from CC to AC on the March 10th sailing of The Summit, but it's a guarantee, which means we don't know what our room number is. I had to call in person to do this as Celebrity's website didn't offer an upgrade option on our reservation...:)

I just called Celebrity, and for no extra charge was "upgraded" from CC to AC on the March 10th sailing of The Summit, but it's a guarantee, which means we don't know what our room number is. I had to call in person to do this as Celebrity's website didn't offer an upgrade option on our reservation...:)

Do you still get the extra point if you upgrade to CC or AQ without paying extra??? I know some cruise lines don't let you.

No! You will not get the extra point for CC or AQ if you don't pay for the upgrade. Having a huge dispute with X about this now; I paid for an upgrade and they won't give me the correct credit, said I have to PROVE I paid for it, back in 2008!!!

You could possibly get an incorrect credit but I would not count it.

• Like 1

We returned to Celebrity after several years with other lines. We loved Celebrity but their itineraries didn't suit us. We were charter Captain's Club members but, with the transition to RCCL, our first two cruises were lost. We were told that if we could prove we had sailed before that they would issue us credit. We found credit card charges, an infirmary receipt, bar charges from 20 years ago and we received the credits. This did raise our status and we were very pleased with their customer service.