Live From the Ocean Princess Week 2 - Western Med

Carolina Cruisr

When in TUNISIA check out the silver bracelets with turquoises in them ...beautiful Also the sweets if you like Marzipen or dates Also ceramic tiles are amazing

There is delicious cold drink called ORGEAT I believe it is made with almonds

a CASSECROUTE tunisien is the best SANDWICH EVER!!!! And of course bricks ...egg or meat The Cous cous also is GREAT

Enjoy ..I hope to return some day

Today was the perfect day at sea-sunny, cloudless sky, light breeze and followed four days in a row at port. And many on the ship seem to have the type of cold/sore throat I just got over, so a day of sun and rest was in order.

Sea days on this small ship are the same as big ones-lay by the pool, go to the $10 sale in the boutiques (and say that it is the same old junk!), read, etc. Many of the activities are the same: art auction, bingo, martini demo, ice carving, etc but none are ever crowded. Captain Ravera is out and about alot-he had a wedding today to officiate at so wore dress black uniform while walking around the pool area speaking to guests. We enjoy watching him as well-he has charmed us all :D!

The port lecturer Hutch on this ship is excellent-I hope he is on for upcoming sailings as he gives excellent touring advice (not the usual shopping talks you get on Caribbean cruises). Tomorrow we are in Tunisia on a ships tour (which he recommends due to the short amount of time in port and so much to see). And just stopped by the pursers desk to pick up passports (Tunisia requires a landing card) and saw lots of printed schedules for independent touring in Sorrento to Capri, Amalfi, Pompeii, etc. So, for those who thought it may be Naples, it appears to be certain that we are going to Sorrento. :)

Got to go get ready for dinner. Tonight's entertainment is an Abba impersonator group-should be interesting! And it is another bad hair day as I need to use that awful blow dryer-bring your own with you, you won't be sorry!

Had to laugh about going to the $10 sale and saying the same things afterwards! :D

YES - a good blow dryer is a necessity on Princess ships IMO. Good luck with the wimpy one onboard. :(

Thanks again for the info. on Sorrento. Getting excited to go!

When in TUNISIA check out the silver bracelets with turquoises in them ...beautiful Also the sweets if you like Marzipen or dates Also ceramic tiles are amazing

There is delicious cold drink called ORGEAT I believe it is made with almonds

a CASSECROUTE tunisien is the best SANDWICH EVER!!!! And of course bricks ...egg or meat The Cous cous also is GREAT

Enjoy ..I hope to return some day

Great information, thank you Michele. DH adores Marzipan, so we'll have to make sure we find some. And, a piece of jewelry is always a good souvenir, no? :D

Had to laugh about going to the $10 sale and saying the same things afterwards! :D

YES - a good blow dryer is a necessity on Princess ships IMO. Good luck with the wimpy one onboard. :(

Thanks again for the info. on Sorrento. Getting excited to go!

Great information, thank you Michele. DH adores Marzipan, so we'll have to make sure we find some. And, a piece of jewelry is always a good souvenir, no? :D

Funny you mention the poor hairdryers--I have never understood all the cc women wanting to know if there is a hairdryer available in the cabin--not only is the hairdryer not great--if you want to style your hair--not just get it dry--can't imagine not bringing all my own hair products--shampoo and conditioner are probably pretty average--but---I need better than average--flat iron, also for those of us who need some styling help. Wish I was one of the group who was happy that they had shampoo, conditioner and a hair dryer provided in the cabin

Now---I'll give Princess credit for their Shower Gell--love it as Bubble Bath--the hand lotion is a good size for your purse--take a lot of those items home--and I do let the room steward know that--all of a sudden at least 10 of my favorites are on the bathroom sink--just used my last Shower gell a couple of days ago. and no cruise until January--oh, well

Nancy:D

Today was the perfect day at sea-sunny, cloudless sky, light breeze and followed four days in a row at port. And many on the ship seem to have the type of cold/sore throat I just got over, so a day of sun and rest was in order.

Sea days on this small ship are the same as big ones-lay by the pool, go to the $10 sale in the boutiques (and say that it is the same old junk!), read, etc. Many of the activities are the same: art auction, bingo, martini demo, ice carving, etc but none are ever crowded. Captain Ravera is out and about alot-he had a wedding today to officiate at so wore dress black uniform while walking around the pool area speaking to guests. We enjoy watching him as well-he has charmed us all :D!

The port lecturer Hutch on this ship is excellent-I hope he is on for upcoming sailings as he gives excellent touring advice (not the usual shopping talks you get on Caribbean cruises). Tomorrow we are in Tunisia on a ships tour (which he recommends due to the short amount of time in port and so much to see). And just stopped by the pursers desk to pick up passports (Tunisia requires a landing card) and saw lots of printed schedules for independent touring in Sorrento to Capri, Amalfi, Pompeii, etc. So, for those who thought it may be Naples, it appears to be certain that we are going to Sorrento. :)

Got to go get ready for dinner. Tonight's entertainment is an Abba impersonator group-should be interesting! And it is another bad hair day as I need to use that awful blow dryer-bring your own with you, you won't be sorry!

Sounds like you are having a wonderful cruise. Will you be posting any photos of the ship?

I just wanted to pop in. Just left the AbbaMax production show (Tribute to Abba). As I mentioned before production shows are not my cup of tea.

I wanted to give a laugh. My cabin steward has been my least favorite that we ever had. He has forgotten to give us towels 3 times so far and I had to use the beach towels in the room. Yesterday I told him he forgot the towels again and he kept telling me how sorry he was. Last night when I returned to my cabin there was a note on my bed saying he was sorry and a bottle of water with the compliments of housekeeping. Along with the note was a towel animal turtle! Today after returning from the pool I had 2 sets of towels and another towel animal monkey!

He is trying to redeem himself. He is a sweet young man, just forgetful.

This has been the worst thing that has happened to me on board so life is not so bad!

We are in Tunisia tomorrow so we will be posting for those interested......

Funny you mention the poor hairdryers--I have never understood all the cc women wanting to know if there is a hairdryer available in the cabin--not only is the hairdryer not great--if you want to style your hair--not just get it dry--can't imagine not bringing all my own hair products--shampoo and conditioner are probably pretty average--but---I need better than average--flat iron, also for those of us who need some styling help. Wish I was one of the group who was happy that they had shampoo, conditioner and a hair dryer provided in the cabin

Now---I'll give Princess credit for their Shower Gell--love it as Bubble Bath--the hand lotion is a good size for your purse--take a lot of those items home--and I do let the room steward know that--all of a sudden at least 10 of my favorites are on the bathroom sink--just used my last Shower gell a couple of days ago. and no cruise until January--oh, well

It must depend on how much time a woman puts into doing her hair, how unruly it is, or how particular she is about having done a certain way. I know there are some women that wash & go and never think twice about doing anything with their hair. It's just a different set of priorities I guess. :cool: Maybe when I'm old, I won't care? ;)

It must depend on how much time a woman puts into doing her hair, how unruly it is, or how particular she is about having done a certain way. I know there are some women that wash & go and never think twice about doing anything with their hair. It's just a different set of priorities I guess. :cool: Maybe when I'm old, I won't care? ;)

Yes !!! If you care now--you'll care when you're older, too---I'm OLDER and care very much--why look any worse than you must look.

If I'm travelling somewhere hot, my hair is up in a french twist or a ponytail. If I'm travelling somewhere cold, I'm wearing a hat or at least a fleece ear band. So no, I don't bring a lot of hair tools with me when I'm flying anywhere. That weight is more valuable to me for books!:D To each his/her own;)

On our last cruise on Ocean I brought my hairdryer and HEATED rollers .Boy did they come in handy YEs they are bulky but you stick 'em on for a few minutes and BINGO you are set toi go .I did my hair for a wedding recently ...the hairdessers there wanted to know who did my hair Curls really do make the do

So although BULKY i promise to take both Hairdryer and rollers on Every cruise

During the Day my hair is up but in the evening I do like the long curls

Just my 2 cents

Carthage is a place to visit so is LA Goulette

Enjoy Tunisia ..Hopefully I will go back some day .....

Today was La Goulette, Tunisia, and it was a wonderful half day (wish we had more time in port). Took a ships tour called Carthage and Sidi Bou Said, and would highly recommend. Our guide Mohammed was VERY knowledgeable-we visited several historical sites related to Carthage, then went to the American Cemetery for the second world war. Very nice. Then visited the cute town of Sidi Bou Said for sightseeing and a short guided walking tour (it looks a bit like Santorini), and time for shopping. Mostly trinkets and jewelry, and shopkeepers were a bit aggressive but no more than what we have seen in Athens or Turkey. One of our group did not tour, but did the small shops right by the ship and the man rode a camel for 5 Euro. It was hot and sunny-a lovely day and Tunis was a very nice stop-enjoyed by everyone we spoke to.

Tonight is the last formal night. More lobster and prawns and the second of our Captains' Circle parties. I hope the clothes still fit.

Yes !!! If you care now--you'll care when you're older, too---I'm OLDER and care very much--why look any worse than you must look.

LOL :D

Carole - So glad to hear your report of that tour because it's the one we're doing too. I was so excited to see the webcam in Tunisia this morning, but it was too late - the ship had already left for Sorrento.

The camel ride sounds great. ;) I may have to do that too. I love the picture of my mom from 20 yrs. ago on a camel by one of the Egyptian pyramids. :) I'll try to catch the ship docked in Sorrento on a couple different webcams tomorrow. Enjoy!

Hey all,

Feeling a bit better...seems to be a fast-moving cold...better than the norovitus that DH contracted on our last cruise :rolleyes:

Had a wonderful day on our own on Barcelona (we did not go on the private tour the others did as we had been to Barcelona several times). We just walked all over-up Las Ramblas, over to the unfinished cathedral, into the Gothic Quarter, etc. Barcelona was simply teeming with people-felt like Times Square-it was a Saturday so lots of young people, people out doing shopping and lots of tourists. We also did the Maritime Museum which we had read about and was a very nice treat-we had also intended to see the Picasso museum, but the line to get in was too long for us. Such a vibrant city!

The ship had local flamenco dancers perform this evening before sailaway, which we enjoyed, and then there was a hilarious British comedian who did a pre-dinner show. Tonights "beach party" and champagne waterfall was moved indoors, unfortunately as rain was predicted, but looking outside it is a cloudless sky. Oh well! Tomorrow is a much-needed day at sea.

MMichelle-Johann said to tell you hello and hello to your son. He remembers your allergy to peppers!

Over and out for today!

Sounds like another great day.....:):):)

Bob

Drives Like: If you are on the same tour we were on you may not have time to get on the camel. Our tour was supposed to be 8-12 but we did not get back to the ship until 12:45P. Glad we were on a Princess tour. The ship staff was hurrying us along once we made it back to the pier area. They were collecting passports before we boarded the ship which took a little time. As soon as we finished boarding the ship left and the Captain high tailed it out of there. We could see him pacing on the bridge waiting for everyone to board.

The pier area here is quite nice with a few little shops. They say this area just opened about 3 months ago. This is where they bring in the "3 white camels for the passengers".

We just finished our last formal dinner, lobster, prawns and/or beef Wellington. We are motoring pretty fast tonight. The propellars were vibrating the dining room and it was quite loud tonight. The first time we had that experience while dining.

We were scheduled for another tour tomorrow but cancelled. (The wine tasting at a farm) Carol and her DH are atill planning to go. We are tendering into lower Sorrento and Princess is offering a free shuttle to the upper part of Sorrento. We are going in for a bit, having lunch and our last Gelato before we come back to pack.:(

WE cannot say enough about how wonderful this ship is. We hope to have many more "small ship" experiences.

We lose an hour tonight. Will check back tomorrow....

Drives Like: If you are on the same tour we were on you may not have time to get on the camel. Our tour was supposed to be 8-12 but we did not get back to the ship until 12:45P. Glad we were on a Princess tour. The ship staff was hurrying us along once we made it back to the pier area. They were collecting passports before we boarded the ship which took a little time. As soon as we finished boarding the ship left and the Captain high tailed it out of there. We could see him pacing on the bridge waiting for everyone to board.

The pier area here is quite nice with a few little shops. They say this area just opened about 3 months ago. This is where they bring in the "3 white camels for the passengers".

We just finished our last formal dinner, lobster, prawns and/or beef Wellington. We are motoring pretty fast tonight. The propellars were vibrating the dining room and it was quite loud tonight. The first time we had that experience while dining.

We were scheduled for another tour tomorrow but cancelled. (The wine tasting at a farm) Carol and her DH are atill planning to go. We are tendering into lower Sorrento and Princess is offering a free shuttle to the upper part of Sorrento. We are going in for a bit, having lunch and our last Gelato before we come back to pack.:(

WE cannot say enough about how wonderful this ship is. We hope to have many more "small ship" experiences.

We lose an hour tonight. Will check back tomorrow....

Thanks for that info., Pat. We're there on a slightly different schedule than you were, but I get your point. Camel time may be limited. Thanks and enjoy tomorrow.

Well...we definitely went to SORRENTO!! It is a gorgeous day, woke up to a sunrise over the mountains as the Ocean was anchored in the bay off Sorrento. A lovely sight! We were joined by a Silversea ship and an Azamara ship that was a carbon copy of the Ocean. This is a great port that the large ships can't get to-you would have to come out from Naples.

After taking the tender, then the shuttle into town (crammed in like sardines) We did a Princess tour to a farm in the hills as we had already been to the major sights before and wanted something at a quiet pace for the last day-it was very nice-included a demo of making buffalo mozzarella then a great tasting of tomatoes, cheese., wine, limoncello, etc. :). The tour then dropped us off in town, where we had plenty of time to shop, walk around and eat our last gelato for the trip.

I also echo what Pat said-this has been a very special cruise, a great ship and a wonderful crew. We simply could not have picked a more perfect ship or itinerary, and had glorious, sunny weather everywhere.

For those of you who are doing this sailing in the next few weeks, I hope you have a wonderful time as we have had!

Carole

Well...we definitely went to SORRENTO!! It is a gorgeous day, woke up to a sunrise over the mountains as the Ocean was anchored in the bay off Sorrento. A lovely sight! We were joined by a Silversea ship and an Azamara ship that was a carbon copy of the Ocean. This is a great port that the large ships can't get to-you would have to come out from Naples.

After taking the tender, then the shuttle into town (crammed in like sardines) We did a Princess tour to a farm in the hills as we had already been to the major sights before and wanted something at a quiet pace for the last day-it was very nice-included a demo of making buffalo mozzarella then a great tasting of tomatoes, cheese., wine, limoncello, etc. :). The tour then dropped us off in town, where we had plenty of time to shop, walk around and eat our last gelato for the trip.

I also echo what Pat said-this has been a very special cruise, a great ship and a wonderful crew. We simply could not have picked a more perfect ship or itinerary, and had glorious, sunny weather everywhere.

For those of you who are doing this sailing in the next few weeks, I hope you have a wonderful time as we have had!

Carole

Thanks so much to both Carole & Pat for their wonderful, insightful posts. We have all really appreciated it. The first in our group flies to Rome tomorrow, then the rest of us follow shortly thereafter. I hope we have as good of a time as you all have had. Thanks again and have a safe flight home! :)

Arrivederci from the "Beautiful White Lady", Ocean Princess!

We just finished "Landfall Dinner", the bags are packed and outside the cabin, and I am signing off for now. We had a glorious 2 weeks at sea, and also discovered we love the "Little Girls".

We are all dreading the trip home tomorrow. Rome In Limo picks us up at 8:00 AM and we arrive in Raleigh at 11:30 PM with another 3 hour drive home. At least there will be many happy memories..........

Thanks to both of you for posting. It brought back many, many happy memories of our time on the 'Beautiful White Lady' in May/June this year. We have to wait until 2012 before we will be back on her once more. Captain Ravera has a wonderful crew and everyone does go out of their way to look after you. Those who will be on her in the next few weeks, I am sure will have a fantastic cruise.

Jennie

I have been really enjoying reading all about your cruise!

We are leaving on October 13th for ours, and I'm a little torn on La Goulette. We currently have the Carthage/Sidi Bou tour booked. I am excited about that, but I also had a desire to see the Souks. However, I have been told they start to close up around 2pm. The Princess tour doesn't even start until then. Did you hear anyone talking on the ship about doing that tour? I don't want to do it if everything will be closing up.

I'd like the opportunity to shop a little, and I don't know if there will be much time for that with the Carthage tour.

Thanks so much for all of your great advice with this thread! We can't wait!

Oh! One other question :D How formal did people get for the formal night? I was planning on a nice cocktail dress and my DH was going to do a suit.

Your port times for your voyage must be different from ours-we were in port in La Goulette from early AM (7 ish) until around 1PM. While I enjoyed our tour very much, we had been to Tunis on a cruise a number of years ago and had done the souks on a ships tour. If you want to see the souk, this would be a good choice as there really is nothing else like it. There was a bit of shopping time on our tour at Sidi Bou Said, but it was in small shops, not any type of marketplace like a souk. I was hoping to ride a camel, and there were three adorable camels with their handlers sitting in front of our ship giving rides for 5 Euros, but our tour came back right as the ship was leaving so no time. One of our group did not tour, and he rode the camel and can;t wait to show the photos to his grandson ;)

We really like ruins and history, and enjoyed seeing Carthage, but the Romans basically destroyed the city of Carthage, so really not as much to see as other sights we had visited on the trip (we also did the Greek Isles cruise just prior to this so so lots of ruins!).

Formal nights were a mixed bag-I find less and less folks going for the really elaborate outfits. In our group the ladies did cocktail dresses or dressy pants/sparkly tops and the men wore sport coats, shirt and tie and dress slacks. We fit in just fine.

Let me know if you have any other questions. A word of advice-this is a very busy itinerary, so be sure not to over-schedule yourself!!

Carole

Carole;

Glad you had a nice time in Sorrento. Also you enjoyed your cruise.....:):):)

Bob

Archived