1st time in Barcelona - should we spend the money on a private tour?

ncLindaB

We will be arriving Tuesday afternoon, Spetmeber 28th. We have until Friday, Oct 1st until we have to get on the cruise ship.

We will be very tired when arriving on Tuesday so we thought we would plan a tour for Wednesday morning that would show us the highlights of the city. We contacted a tour company that will charge my husband and I 109 euros each to take us on a 4 hour private tour in a mini van with an english speaking driver.

Should we splurge on that or consider the group bus tour for 44 euros each?

We do not know a lot about Barcelona - been reading tour books - and we are not at all familiar with public transportation. We are staying at Hotel 1898.

Any help would be appreciated.

We will be arriving Tuesday afternoon, Spetmeber 28th. We have until Friday, Oct 1st until we have to get on the cruise ship.

We will be very tired when arriving on Tuesday so we thought we would plan a tour for Wednesday morning that would show us the highlights of the city. We contacted a tour company that will charge my husband and I 109 euros each to take us on a 4 hour private tour in a mini van with an english speaking driver.

We do not know a lot about Barcelona - been reading tour books - and we are not at all familiar with public transportation. We are staying at Hotel 1898.

Take the HoHo-Bus and the Metro. It's really easy to find around in Barcelona.

There is so much to see without paying 109 EUR.

Regards

HeinBloed

I'd ask if the van tour allows you to actually get out and go inside the sights as opposed to just driving past them. Many areas of the old city would be best accessed on foot!

You could walk around a little when you arrive as it will help you get on a normal sleep schedule. That afternoon/evening you could walk to the Cathedral,through some of the streets in the old quarter,go to the Museum of the city with its Roman ruins underneath or just stroll.

The next day you could take the hop on hop off bus from Placa Catalunya which is just above your hotel. You can spend the day getting off at stops that interest you. I suggest you read a bit about the architectural sights and other things to see in Barcelona so you'll know when you want to get off the bus to go inside some of the places.

109euro just to drive around inside the city seems a lot.

BTW there are also walking tours that the city tourist center sponsors. This tourist center is also in Placa Catalunya.

Linda,

NO, Don't take a tour! You are staying in a very central location and most everything is in walking distance or you can take the hop on hop off bus. The metro system is also very convenient and cheap. The problem with a tour is that you have to go on their schedule, and it is very expensive. Why pay big bucks when it is so easy to see everything on your own, and at your leisure?

We spent only two days in Barcelona, and by the time we left, we felt like we new the city (at least the tourist areas) very well. We were glad that we didn't take a tour. We used the Rick Steves guidebook, and that really helped a lot.

I can't imagine taking a tour unless you have serious mobility issues, or if you have only 1/2 a day and you want to see as much as you can.

I'm with the other people, DIY. I did a few private tours on our cruise but found Barcelona very easy to do on our own.

Barcelona may be easy to navigate, but you need to answer this:

Are you a "do it yourself" traveler? Do you like to use maps, and explore? Are you able to use public transportation easily. Or, do you prefer someone else to figure it out and all you have to do is enjoy the ride?

It also depends on what you want to see. Yes, most of the sites are in close proximity, but if you want to go to Montserrat Monastery and other outlying areas, you may prefer to use a private tour company.

I know that I am not a DIY traveler. I also know that I don't like cruise line tours, so my solution is to use independent tour companies.

In Barcelona last month, we used Spanish Trails Adventure. They were really good. We had a wonderful guide, Saskia, who took us in a nice, air-conditioned van to Montserrat. After our tour of Montserrat we ate the most delicious Catalonian lunch at a wonderful local restaurant. Then later in the day, we had a city high-lights tour that took us to all the popular sites, Sagrada Familia, Las Ramblas, the market, Parc Guell, Castell de Montjuic, Olympic village, etc. We walked around all of these places (not just a drive by!)

There are lots of options for travelers, you just need to decide what is best for you and your budget.

Enjoy your visit to Barcelona. It was an amazing place to visit!

109 euros per person sounds like an awful lot for 4 hours. The first time we went to Barcelona we had very limited time - got on the HOHO bus and just drove the 2 hour route and at least saw all the sites. Since you have time - and may not be comfortable with the subway system - I highly recommend you use it as your mode of transportation. You don't have to figure out how to get to any of the sites and it does go to the majority of the main sites in the city. You should walk around the Gothic area on your own as it is impossible to get lost. Barcelona is a wonderful walking city - get out and enjoy it!

Marianne

I agree with those above who say 109 Euros pp for a 4-hour tour is truly exhorbitant, particularly given that you are not pressed for time and that Barcelona really is an easy city to do on your own.

We had about the same amount of time you did pre-cruise, and saw an enormous amount of the city. We walked and used metro, and also took a walking tour of the Barri Gotic (sponsored by the tourist info office) which was really fantastic (and very inexpensive).

If you do go anywhere by metro, buy the T10 card, which is good for ten rides and can be shared by any number of people, and costs less than if you bought ten separate tickets. You just pass the card back to the next person after you go thru the turnstile. If you haven't found the following web site yet, it's got great info for getting around the city, including how to use the metro. (And don't worry, the machines where you buy the cards have a choice of English.)

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/

Of course, if you feel totally uncomfortable getting around a new city on your own, that's a different question. But if not, Barcelona really is very do-able on your own, particularly with a good couple of days.

Have a great trip!

I agree with the HO HO, I bought my ticket at the hotel Colon; but remember one thing, the lines are long and when I went the end of October, it was still warm and I couldn't stand for a long time waiting to get on the bus. Go early in the morning. I didn't use the ticket so I gave it to someone on the cruise going to Barcelona after the cruise. I did the walking by myself.

There are definitely times and places for private tours. We did a bunch of shared roll call tours on our Med cruise. They can maximize your time in a port by getting you to multiple destinations in a short finite period. They also allow you not to worry about logistics so much, knowing that professionals will get you back to the ship on time. The good ones will even enhance your tour by providing local color, tips, and explanations of what you are seeing. I just wonder how much value these services have when you have over 2 days in a port and are already starting from a central location. We enjoyed seeing Barcelona by walking and taking a couple of round trip cab rides when needed. I think all four cab rides were between €6 and 7. We thought about the HoHO and opted not to do it because we didn't want to invest 1/2 day in just driving around. But we easily walked 12 miles in two days and that is not for everyone.

We will be in Barcelona for 3 days pre cruise in May. We will tour and explore Barcelona on our own walking and using public transport. We did decide to book a private half day Montserrat tour, we just think it will be a better option with our 3 children.

If you do go anywhere by metro, buy the T10 card, which is good for ten rides and can be shared by any number of people, and costs less than if you bought ten separate tickets. You just pass the card back to the next person after you go thru the turnstile. If you haven't found the following web site yet, it's got great info for getting around the city, including how to use the metro. (And don't worry, the machines where you buy the cards have a choice of English.)

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.com/

!

I agree that the T10 card is the way to go if you are staying there 2 or more days. The Metro system in Barcelona is excellent and relatively inexpensive. It should be a model for other cities. If you are staying near Placa de Catalunya, there is a station right there. And it will zip you off to your location in no time. I did not do the Ho Ho bus, but others have reported problems. In the summer, they can be very hot and crowded. You have to wait at your location for a bus, and sometimes it arrives full, then you can't get on and you need to wait for the next one. The Ho Ho is also much more expensive than the Metro.

We took the Ho ho bus around the day we arrived, took the complete tour then went around to what we wanted to see. You are centrally located and there is much to see walking the areas by your hotel. Great cafes to stop and sit and relax and watch all the activity. We also took the railroad to Montserrat, a wonderful place to visit, however you get there.A great city.

Check out Viator tours. They offer:

half day bike tour 22 Euros

Full day Barcelonia tour (combines two tours) 80 Euros

I agree with the HOHO and Metro for the city. A private option might be a better idea if you want to go to Monserrat and you are not too happy with public transport but it is perfectly possible you will have enough to do to fill your time without leaving the city. You will enjoy it, I'm sure.

We used the hoho bus when we were there are first time and it was great. It will take you all over the city and you can get off any time and get back on the next bus. They run frequently. The Ramblas is a fun place to walk down but be informed, pickpockets are everywhere. Wear a money belt. Leave your passport in the hotel. We wore money belts and never had a problem but I witnessed many others that had problems. I didn't carry a purse and kept nothing in my pockets except a few euros.

Archived