LIVE from the Sapphire - 33 days from Seattle to Sydney

Pia1913

Back on the ship. What a miserable day it is outside. This morning when I said it was 54, it was more like 44. It was drizzling and the wind was awful. However, we managed to walk the approx. 1 ½ miles to the museum. And then the skies opened up and the rain never did stop.

Te Papa Museum: absolutely fantastic. We were there more than 4 hours and could have spent four more. Perhaps we’ll go back on the return cruise. So many different exhibits; many of them interactive. Want to experience an earthquake? You can here. Want to see what calamari looks like up close and personal? There’s a giant squid here weighing half a ton. Six floors; and we never got to #5 or #6.

We got back to the ship at 2:30. Took a taxi. Didn’t want to walk in pouring rain. Princess had a shuttle for $5/PP one way, but to get to it would have meant quite a trek. For $15 the taxi was right outside and we stayed warm and dry.

Almost time for trivia, so we may as well try to win another deck of cards. :D

17sapphire6.jpg

Short run tonight to Christchurch.

Looking forward to your reports Pia,

as you will be the first cruise ship in since the earthquake.

The first cruise ship for the season.

Trust you dont experience any of the aftershocks they are still having there.

Te Papa Museum: absolutely fantastic. We were there more than 4 hours and could have spent four more. Perhaps we’ll go back on the return cruise. So many different exhibits; many of them interactive. Want to experience an earthquake? You can here. Want to see what calamari looks like up close and personal? There’s a giant squid here weighing half a ton. Six floors; and we never got to #5 or #6.

Wow, sounds like a fantastic place - worth the price of the miserable weather. Hope you and Mike are feeling much better.

Barb

Before I start today‘s chatter, I need to answer Bill‘s golf question. No, Bill. There is no mention of golf excursion in Dunedin.

Now then, it’s Monday and we’re in Christchurch, the city we flew into 18 ½ years ago when we began our 2 week land tour of New Zealand. (Actually, we are in the port of Lyttelton; city is 6 miles away). We remember very little, so whatever we see and/or do should all be new experiences. What I do recall is that the first thing we did was to buy gloves. This time we came prepared. ;) Our friends Donna & Dennis were here a few months ago and she gave us explicit directions on how to get into town after we get out of the port area. We definitely expect to visit the Arts Museum and will play the rest of the day by ear. The weather is sunny, temp is 48 with only a little breeze.

On board today is the movie Coco Chanel which will also be shown twice tonight in Explorer’s. I do wish Princess would enhance their movie selections inasmuch as this one was on our last three cruises. There’s a lecture in the afternoon “Maori Cultural Presentation” which they should have done in the evening instead of showing two “Cocos.“ At 4:00 many people will still not be back on board.

In the theater tonight will be Australian “diva” Janine Reed. Name sounds familiar and we don’t usually attend solo vocal performances.

We’re planning to get off in less than an hour, so might as well grab some breakfast. Later.

Great graphics you are providing, Kiwi Kruzer. Great memories of that Dunedin dock last year on Star. DH had a great time watching all the activitiy there with all the containers being moved and sorted. Hope their weather is a little better for them than it was for us.

Pia, hope you and Mike are all better and that the weather will improve. What wonderful sights you will have in the fiords regardless.

Bobbie

We got back on board just in time for 4:00 PM trivia. Did the same thing yesterday and won baseball caps. Today we won nothing.

We took the 8:30 free port shuttle this morning for the 5 minute ride into Lyttelton town. For those who are interested, the shuttle drops you at the Information center. Just walk down the hill, turn right and walk ½ block. Cross over to the left side and take #28 bus to Christchurch. Fare is $3.20 NZ one way. Trip takes 20 minutes. The bus drops you right near Cathedral Sq. which is the center of town.

We walked around and visited too many souvenir stores. Mike’s idea, not mine. :(We visited two museums and the art centre, and also a quickie look at the botanical gardens. It is/was cold and the breeze I told you about turned into wind. We also watched a street performer do comedic routines with juggling and unicycling and also using audience participation. Mike videoed the whole thing; almost an hour. The Wizard also showed up in his little red Volks, but we didn’t stay around for his preaching.

We had good coffee and a muffin at Starbucks and shared fried noodles from a kiosk in the square. All in all, a good full day for very little money.

We stopped into a supermarket upon return to Lyttelton; wanted to replenish wine supply. Not much to choose from and what there was too expensive. We still have two closed bottles anyway.

I understand there was another aftershock this morning that happened while we were on the bus going in. Didn’t feel a thing. Also, there is no evidence of any earthquake damage anywhere we went.

Thanks to all who have wished us good health. We're better; not perfect. This too shall pass. Goodbye until tomorrow.

Hi Pia,

Great to hear you had a good day in Christchurch

and that it is all up and running , since the earthquake.

Surprised to hear you saw the Wizard,

(World Famous in NZ),

I thought he had retired.

Weather forecast for Dunedin not looking too good.

They are predicting the final winter storm ,

so there could be snow in them there hills tomorrow.

Stay warm.:)

Hi Pia,

Great to hear you had a good day in Christchurch

and that it is all up and running , since the earthquake.

Surprised to hear you saw the Wizard,

(World Famous in NZ),

I thought he had retired.

Weather forecast for Dunedin not looking too good.

They are predicting the final winter storm ,

so there could be snow in them there hills tomorrow.

Stay warm.:)

David - what/who is the Wizard?

We got back on board just in time for 4:00 PM trivia. Did the same thing yesterday and won baseball caps. Today we won nothing.

We took the 8:30 free port shuttle this morning for the 5 minute ride into Lyttelton town. For those who are interested, the shuttle drops you at the Information center. Just walk down the hill, turn right and walk ½ block. Cross over to the left side and take #28 bus to Christchurch. Fare is $3.20 NZ one way. Trip takes 20 minutes. The bus drops you right near Cathedral Sq. which is the center of town.

We walked around and visited too many souvenir stores. Mike’s idea, not mine. :(We visited two museums and the art centre, and also a quickie look at the botanical gardens. It is/was cold and the breeze I told you about turned into wind. We also watched a street performer do comedic routines with juggling and unicycling and also using audience participation. Mike videoed the whole thing; almost an hour. The Wizard also showed up in his little red Volks, but we didn’t stay around for his preaching.

We had good coffee and a muffin at Starbucks and shared fried noodles from a kiosk in the square. All in all, a good full day for very little money.

We stopped into a supermarket upon return to Lyttelton; wanted to replenish wine supply. Not much to choose from and what there was too expensive. We still have two closed bottles anyway.

I understand there was another aftershock this morning that happened while we were on the bus going in. Didn’t feel a thing. Also, there is no evidence of any earthquake damage anywhere we went.

Thanks to all who have wished us good health. We're better; not perfect. This too shall pass. Goodbye until tomorrow.

Pia;

Sounds like a great day in Christchurch.....:):):)

Bob

Back on the ship. What a miserable day it is outside. This morning when I said it was 54, it was more like 44. It was drizzling and the wind was awful. However, we managed to walk the approx. 1 ½ miles to the museum. And then the skies opened up and the rain never did stop.

We got back to the ship at 2:30. Took a taxi. Didn’t want to walk in pouring rain. Princess had a shuttle for $5/PP one way, but to get to it would have meant quite a trek. For $15 the taxi was right outside and we stayed warm and dry.

Almost time for trivia, so we may as well try to win another deck of cards. :D

Will they accept USD in NZ (for taxi, bus, small purchases)?

Just arrived in Port Chalmers for Dunedin....

19dunedin1.jpg

19dunedin2.jpg

David, Where do you get these wonderful pictures?

They are from Port and Bridge cams from where and when they are available.Most Port Authourities have a cam of some sort ,and from some of them we can see the cruise ships.

Welcome to Port Chalmers, known as the Edinburgh of the South and the port stop for Dunedin. Located on the Otago Peninsula, Dunedin has the distinction of being settled by Scottish pioneers and it’s name is in fact Gaelic for Edinburgh. Port Chalmers is approximately 7½ miles from Dunedin city and Princess has a shuttle going into town for $5/PP one way US or $8/PP NZ.

We have not yet decided whether or not to get off this morning or to wait until we return again on the next cruise. It’s getting really hard for us to fight off our colds while traipsing around in the cold. The temp today may reach a high of 41. It’s in the 30’s now and that’s way too cold for us. I’m sure the Cadbury factory will wait for us. :D

On Board today is the movie “Letters to Juliet” and another Maori Cultural Presentation, which appears to be a repeat of yesterday. Again they’re doing it at 4:00 PM. Ridiculous time. The best spot for it would be tonight in Explorer’s, since all that’s scheduled there for the entire night is that awful group The Vintage People. In the theater will be Comedy Showtime with impressionist Danny McMaster. I wonder if this is the guy with a puppet. Will advise.

Dr. Richard: taxis here and in Christchurch will accept US $, but not local buses. You need NZ dollars for the little stuff Just use ATM; good rate. We did it in Auckland.

Dr. Richard: taxis here and in Christchurch will accept US $, but not local buses. You need NZ dollars for the little stuff Just use ATM; good rate. We did it in Auckland.

ATM's are the way to go they are everywhere and quick and easy to use. Just take out small amounts when you need it.

At the moment in NZ , $100 NZ will cost around $75US, and in Australia its pretty well dollar for dollar.

ATM's are the way to go they are everywhere and quick and easy to use. Just take out small amounts when you need it.

At the moment in NZ , $100 NZ will cost around $75US, and in Australia its pretty well dollar for dollar.

Hi Pia,

As you know, we will be on the Feb. NZ cruise. I'm wondering if you could check something out for me. We would like to take the Taleri Gorge Railway on our own out of Dunedin. How often does the shuttle run from the ship and how close would it get us to the train station? We get into port at 8am and the train leaves at 9:30. Is there enough time to get there or should we hop in a taxi? Thanks so much!:)

Just as well you weren't in Christchurch today Pia.

They had a massive aftershock just before noon , which resulted in buildings being evacuated in the CBD and a temporary loss of power and phones. Airport was closed for an hour and planes had to circle while the runway was checked. All seems to be OK now, but folk are wondering when these after shocks will stop.

Hello. I’m back from nowhere so there’s nothing to report. We did not get off, which was a very good decision. Not only was it freezing it also rained buckets and people got drenched. Folks came back from a train ride like drowned rats.

We will be back here next Wednesday (the 27th) and hopefully the weather will be better and more importantly WE will feel better.

Our friends went to the Cadbury factory on their own; admission

$18 NZ or $16 NZ for seniors. We will most likely do this one next week since it sounds like fun.

We did see the movie “Letters to Juliet” ; silly cutesy poo no brainer, which is just what we needed. Otherwise, for us it was a laid back day with nothing but trivia and reading; the ideal cruise combo.

Some interesting information:

Yesterday in Lyttelton there was a huge amount of lumber at the port in the morning. When we returned it was all gone. The bus driver told us this was shipment to Korea and Japan. Here, this morning, outside our window (starboard side) was a huge bulk carrier which I estimate to be about 500’ long. It was empty at 7:00 AM and as I write this at a little past 6:00 PM, it is loaded with pre-cut logs each approx. 12 to 14 inches in diameter and about 8 - 10 ft in length. Four cranes have been working all day and they are still putting more on. I have no clue where this vessel is going, but it sure is heavy.

Meredith: the first shuttle started running at 8:30 this morning, so sounds like you can get there in time.

Our friends went to the Cadbury factory on their own; admission

$18 NZ or $16 NZ for seniors. We will most likely do this one next week since it sounds like fun.

It is fun. We have taken the tour there. And it is only a block away from the train station which is a must see.

383184720_05812_30.03CadburyfactoryDunedinC07-16-9.jpg.c93e5540b8a25674192630e59ff9425f.jpg

1498306758_06212_30.03JamieguideforCadburyfactorytourM11-16-12A.jpg.c39dca3301b3076a9aa605910e4f37d8.jpg

1237869297_06512_30.03CadburyfactoryDunedinPc290227.jpg.f71bddf07ef660423e926e931283e478.jpg

Hmmm - When we were in Dunedin last fall, we were told that Cadbury was moving everything to another location, and during the tour we saw a lot of tearing down in several areas. There was not much at all going on as far as seeing the candy being made. I think only one machine was working. The gift shop was open though, and we managed to get our share!

Marianne - Hope you are feeling better. No fun being sick on a cruise.

Bobbie

YAY...Heres a lucky shot grabbed 5 minutes ago.

At Taiaroa Heads , the entrance to Port Chalmers, Dunedin , they have a webcam overlooking the Albatross Colony.It only updates every 5 minutes or so , thus the window to see a ship passing is very small.

How lucky ....I just clicked on , waited for an update and caught Sapphire sailing out of the harbour.

19dunedin3.jpg

That scaffolding is not usually there, must be doing some work on the observatory.

Archived