As if chair hogs need any additional encouragement . . . .

nodumblond

We received lounge chair covers as a Christmas gift from my daughter-in-law last year. They are made of white terrycloth, with a pocket attached to one side to hold sunscreen or sunglasses, and have our first names embroidered across the top. Every time I hear a mention of "chair hogs", I envision the reactions we would get by selecting chairs in a prime location at 7 a.m. and reserving them with our monogrammed chair covers :p

Do they make one that reads "Taking rudeness to a whole new level"?

Oh, don't I WISH. ;)

ZoeyVictoria -- it does sound like a thoughtful gift that I can understand using in a situation where there isn't a chair shortage (ie., it's to find your chair, not to 'brand' it). But having seen the chair hog contingent first hand on our last two or three cruises (the last one, on X to Bermuda, really took the hogging to a new level) . . . . well, I just can't imagine where a lot of those might end up . . . . :-)

Lovely....Just Lovely:rolleyes:

I'm sure that we will encounter them on every ship in the not-to-distant future.

Then again it will still be up to the cruise line to properly police their policies. Plucking the markers from the chairs will be no more difficult that removing a towel, flip flop or paperback.

Charlie

We received lounge chair covers as a Christmas gift from my daughter-in-law last year. They are made of white terrycloth, with a pocket attached to one side to hold sunscreen or sunglasses, and have our first names embroidered across the top. Every time I hear a mention of "chair hogs", I envision the reactions we would get by selecting chairs in a prime location at 7 a.m. and reserving them with our monogrammed chair covers :p

I have some of these that I use all the time and love them, we live in a condo and go to the pool quite often, cant imagine them on a cruise ship.

Oh, don't I WISH. ;)

ZoeyVictoria -- it does sound like a thoughtful gift that I can understand using in a situation where there isn't a chair shortage (ie., it's to find your chair, not to 'brand' it). But having seen the chair hog contingent first hand on our last two or three cruises (the last one, on X to Bermuda, really took the hogging to a new level) . . . . well, I just can't imagine where a lot of those might end up . . . . :-)

Yes, it was a thoughtful gift (we live in South Florida in a community with a beautiful resort pool), but... they are still in my closet because I would be embarrassed to use them. Except for when my DIL is visiting :o My post was a a tongue-in-cheek remark.

I can't wait until mine arrive! And before you flame me, I am not a chair hog but I don't want my mine and hubby's chairs taken if he is off smoking, getting us drinks or in the restroom and I need to use the restroom at the same time. I most likely wouldn't be lounging at the pool for more than 1 - 1 1/2 hours.

AYE yi yi!

Get your lounge chair hat, go to the other website and get your booze bra...what's next? Fake concierge lounge sea-pass cards???

I hope anyone using one of these is mocked openly...;)

There are postings like this all the time on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROYAL-CARIBBEAN-CONCIERGE-DIAMOND-LOUNGE-KEYS-/220645629703?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335f811f07

I suppose if it becomes enough of an issue (the items would actually work after the current cruise) Crown and Anchor would begin monitoring those sights and send the offending members notice to cease and desist or else lose their status.

I can't wait until mine arrive! And before you flame me, I am not a chair hog but I don't want my mine and hubby's chairs taken if he is off smoking, getting us drinks or in the restroom and I need to use the restroom at the same time. I most likely wouldn't be lounging at the pool for more than 1 - 1 1/2 hours.

LOL - :p

I love a good "just kidding" post, but you really should use emoticons indicating that you are making a little joke.

I suppose if it becomes enough of an issue (the items would actually work after the current cruise) Crown and Anchor would begin monitoring those sights and send the offending members notice to cease and desist or else lose their status.
Tracking down the buyer or seller would be pretty tough. I wouldn't be surprised, though, if it's one of the main reasons they're switching it so the CL/DL lounge doors use your SeaPass card instead of a separate card.

We actually have two of these towels....a yellow one and a blue one. They are called the Bahama Towel Chaise Cover. I LOVE them!! It doesn't have our name on it though....just nice thick towels that cover the entire chair, doesn't blow off if there is wind, and the little side pocket is nice to keep my seapass card and anything else I want to get to quickly.

I am not a chair hog. I am actually one who likes to get up early, get a chair in a nice spot and then enjoy the quiet for a couple of hours. I simply like these towels much better than the ship towels. I use them on every cruise. I use the ship towel for drying off after a dip in the pool. :)

Oh...and as for the DL/CL keys that they are selling on ebay....I believe the key cards for the lounges are deactivated each week, when new ones are made for the new sailing.

Lovely....Just Lovely:rolleyes:

I'm sure that we will encounter them on every ship in the not-to-distant future.

Then again it will still be up to the cruise line to properly police their policies. Plucking the markers from the chairs will be no more difficult that removing a towel, flip flop or paperback.

Charlie

I would hope that the cruiselines would explicitly disallow the use of these things. Anyway, wont stop me. Last year on our last cruise chair hogs were everywhere, worst I have ever seen. I determined from then on if I want a chair I'm getting one. I'll look for a nice spot somewhere and remove the shoe, book or towel and sit back and relax. If these things start popping up, I'll remove them as well. Might even throw them in garbage.

I don't think the covers are the problem. I don't have any problem with someone who is actually currently using the pool area to save their chairs in any manner, and this is a cute and useful method. If you're in the pool for a dip, just stepped to the bar to get a drink, or taken a quick trip to the restroom, you have every right to reserve your seat in whatever manner you choose.

The real problem is when people who are not in the pool area AT ALL, like in their rooms or at breakfast save chairs. I don't really care if it is with a book, towel, shoes, or a happy smiley faced terry cloth saver thingy, it's not okay.

If these things start popping up, I'll remove them as well. Might even throw them in garbage.

That is not very nice. :(

Like I said, I go to the pool area pretty early to grab a spot and read/enjoy the quiet. The only time I leave for an extended period of time is to go take a dip in the pool, go to the restroom, or to grab a quick bite to eat. I am never gone for more than 30 minutes. I would hope people would allow me the freedom to do that. I use my towel chaise cover because I like it...not because I want to save a chair with it and go back to bed.

Now....I agree....if someone is saving a chair with a shoe or a book (or whatever) and they are nowhere to be seen for more than 45 minutes, it is fair to move their things (take them to pool/deck patrol). I would never throw someone's belongings away though. We are all on the ship to enjoy the cruise....not start unpleasantries by being so aggressive.

All of the DL and CL cards have an expiration date for around 10pm the last night of the cruise. They won't work after that on any ship including the one it was originally coded for. These people that try and sell this stuff on ebay just make me sick and they should have their C&A membership revoked if they ever found out who they were. :p Of course I also feel that anyone that would purchase this kind of stuff on ebay gets what they deserve, a nice plastic card that doesn't work!:D

Regarding the chair hog issue at hand, our cruise two years ago, two people would come down to the Solarium at 6am and place their books on the lounge chairs and disappear for several hours. Then they came back laid down for an hour or two, then disappeared for another two hours. I guess you don't have to order one of these if you have a book whether you read or not.

Archived