As if chair hogs need any additional encouragement . . . .

nodumblond

Chair hogs are problem everywhere.

I was at a SC beach resort over Labor Day weekend and at 7:00am Saturday and Sunday, about 60% of the chairs were covered with towels, books, shoes, etc. We use the beach so the chair hogs are not an issue for us.

Those chair covers are so inexpensive, I can see folks buying and bringing them to a resort or cruise.

M

I can't wait until mine arrive! And before you flame me, I am not a chair hog but I don't want my mine and hubby's chairs taken if he is off smoking, getting us drinks or in the restroom and I need to use the restroom at the same time. I most likely wouldn't be lounging at the pool for more than 1 - 1 1/2 hours.

That doesn't seem beyond reason and I would think (guessing based on no real information) that the pool staff would treat it like any other belongings left on a pool chair if its been there longer than a certain time. I know I like to lounge around the solarium pool for 2 hours sometimes getting up to dip in the pool and go back to my chair. I usually make a point to put my towel, sunscreen, and crocs on my chair while I'm in the pool, keeping one eye on my chair.

Yes, I do take and wear crocs to the pool That seems to be the new thing, crocs are not socially acceptable like fanny packs.

That is not very nice. :(

Like I said, I go to the pool area pretty early to grab a spot and read/enjoy the quiet. The only time I leave for an extended period of time is to go take a dip in the pool, go to the restroom, or to grab a quick bite to eat. I am never gone for more than 30 minutes. I would hope people would allow me the freedom to do that. I use my towel chaise cover because I like it...not because I want to save a chair with it and go back to bed.

Now....I agree....if someone is saving a chair with a shoe or a book (or whatever) and they are nowhere to be seen for more than 45 minutes, it is fair to move their things (take them to pool/deck patrol). I would never throw someone's belongings away though. We are all on the ship to enjoy the cruise....not start unpleasantries by being so aggressive.

The actual rule, that is rarely enforced is 30 minutes.

Yes, I do take and wear crocs to the pool That seems to be the new thing, crocs are not socially acceptable like fanny packs.

What is the issue with Crocs? I've worn Crock flip flops for several years and they are the most comfortable casual shoe I've ever owned. The only flip flops I can wear without getting blisters between my toes.

Yes, it was a thoughtful gift (we live in South Florida in a community with a beautiful resort pool), but... they are still in my closet because I would be embarrassed to use them. Except for when my DIL is visiting :o My post was a a tongue-in-cheek remark.

I figured as much, but thanks for reassuring me!

Its really a no brainer, if no one is in a chair regardless of whats in it or on it, take it off and use it, if some one is actually in the pool, they'll let you know.

If they are not, then they can go look for their stuff if and when they return.

I left my chair long enough to fix a dessert plate and get a drink (maybe ten minutes) and got back to find a stranger sitting on my towel and straddling my book, reading glasses and sunscreen. Couldn't decide if that was better or worse than finding my things moved.

I left my chair long enough to fix a dessert plate and get a drink (maybe ten minutes) and got back to find a stranger sitting on my towel and straddling my book, reading glasses and sunscreen. Couldn't decide if that was better or worse than finding my things moved.

Ewww.... :eek:

I have some of these that I use all the time and love them, we live in a condo and go to the pool quite often, cant imagine them on a cruise ship.

I bought mine to take on the cruise. We travel with gadgets and they all come to the pool with us. I also want the entire chair covered with a towel and the pool towels just don't cut it - I know I have some hang ups.... but I cannot stand the feeling of the beach and deck chairs on my skin (it sticks - YUCK).

I have NO plan to be a chair hog! On sea days we are literally there ALL day, and we give up our seats and get new ones after lunch. :) That may change since AOS' solarium is open not closed like SOS, but we shall see.

I am not sure how you deal with the chair issue. We have claimed pool chairs, used them and then gotten up to get a drink, hit the pool, etc. People looking for chairs don't necessarily know if you have been gone for 30 minutes or 4 hours. Removing someone's stuff could cause big problems and none of us need that kind of aggravation on a vacation.

I am not sure how you deal with the chair issue. We have claimed pool chairs, used them and then gotten up to get a drink, hit the pool, etc. People looking for chairs don't necessarily know if you have been gone for 30 minutes or 4 hours. Removing someone's stuff could cause big problems and none of us need that kind of aggravation on a vacation.

I COMPLETELY agree with this!!

We received lounge chair covers as a Christmas gift from my daughter-in-law last year. They are made of white terrycloth, with a pocket attached to one side to hold sunscreen or sunglasses, and have our first names embroidered across the top. Every time I hear a mention of "chair hogs", I envision the reactions we would get by selecting chairs in a prime location at 7 a.m. and reserving them with our monogrammed chair covers :p

Well if I saw them at 7:30 on my way to the gym and they were still on them at 9:00 I would simple reove them and put them withthe dirty towels.

Problem solved!!

Well if I saw them at 7:30 on my way to the gym and they were still on them at 9:00 I would simple reove them and put them withthe dirty towels.

Problem solved!!

Not really.....cause this is what I usually do.....

Get up early (around 7:30) and head to the pool area. I grab a chair and put my own towel/cover on it. Then, I quickly go to get a cup of coffee (I can't carry the coffee and all of my pool stuff at the same time)....and I come back to my chair, enjoy my coffee and read.

Then, I may go to the restroom at 9am and be gone for 5 minutes.

If you didn't see me at 7:30 while I was getting my coffee (away from my chair for 5-10 min) and you didn't see me at 9am while I was going to the restroom (away from my chair for 5 min), and you removed my items.....I would not be very happy.

If there is a chair that you want and you, yourself, have seen it empty (without a body on it) for more than the 30 minute rule....that is a different story....but to just remove's someone's belongings when you come out to the pool, because you see stuff on it (and not a body), isn't right.

As Stones said, removing someone's stuff could cause big problems and none of us need that kind of aggravation on a vacation. We are all there to enjoy ourselves.

Not really.....cause this is what I usually do.....

Get up early (around 7:30) and head to the pool area. I grab a chair and put my own towel/cover on it. Then, I quickly go to get a cup of coffee (I can't carry the coffee and all of my pool stuff at the same time)....and I come back to my chair, enjoy my coffee and read.

Then, I may go to the restroom at 9am and be gone for 5 minutes.

If you didn't see me at 7:30 while I was getting my coffee (away from my chair for 5-10 min) and you didn't see me at 9am while I was going to the restroom (away from my chair for 5 min), and you removed my items.....I would not be very happy.

If there is a chair that you want and you, yourself, have seen it empty (without a body on it) for more than the 30 minute rule....that is a different story....but to just remove's someone's belongings when you come out to the pool, because you see stuff on it (and not a body), isn't right.

As Stones said, removing someone's stuff could cause big problems and none of us need that kind of aggravation on a vacation. We are all there to enjoy ourselves.

Well let me go into a little more, no I would not come up and just move items. I generally wait the 30 to 45 minutes and if they do not return have no problem moving items.

As far as causing a "big problem" only comes up if you let it. They are breaking the "rules" not you. Saving or reserving chairs is not allowed. If they want to get loud they can deal with security. And who is to say that that is the same chair?

As far as causing a "big problem" only comes up if you let it. They are breaking the "rules" not you. Saving or reserving chairs is not allowed. If they want to get loud they can deal with security. And who is to say that that is the same chair?

Some battles are worth fighting...others aren't. You can create a problem for yourself by removing others personal belongings. If you feel that someone is hogging a chair in this fashion then the proper way to proceed is to speak with the pool attendant. Let them deal with the fallout.

Some battles are worth fighting...others aren't. You can create a problem for yourself by removing others personal belongings. If you feel that someone is hogging a chair in this fashion then the proper way to proceed is to speak with the pool attendant. Let them deal with the fallout.

You are correct that is the way it should be done and I generally would do that. However first thing in the morning when all good chairs are gone and very few are occupied I do not have any prblem moving things.

That being said I don't mind moving things even if I am not going to stay. And not just for the chair I am going to sit in for a while.

• 3 weeks later...
I am currently packing for a weeks stay at one of my time share exchanges on the Beach in Ft. Myers. I always pack my two very comfy beach chairs. Now I am wondering if

we should bring our own lounge chairs for the cruise?? ;) :D :D

I bought a great, instant-assemble (pops open) chair at Brookstone; it's called the "Quick-Dry Mesh Beach Chair." I use it around the pool and bring it to beaches in ports.

For me, it saves lots of cruise chair-hog aggravation and stress; it saves $$ not having to rent chairs at some beaches; most of all, it supports my back, which I really need ( I find that chaises don't really feel comfortable after a while lounging in them.)

It comes in its own carry case with shoulder strap! $29.95

Archived