My Husband's Vacation cancelled

im4clowns

And you don't think that a note from a doctor for the same week you had vacation planned and cancelled won't raise red flags?

Another thought on the situation, since Oct. 1 is the beginning of the Federal Fiscal Year, when I worked for the government all sorts of decrees came out some years due budget deficits or in some cases the funding for our agency had not yet been passed. We actually worked under such conditions for several months one year.

My brother works for the Feds and he is still approved for our vacation on 10/3.

That could either good...or bad.:cool:

I know where I work, if they have "downsizing plans", they don't tip their hand by canceling vacation in advance!

My husband works for the government. Before I booked our cruise in May for the Glory leaving 11/7/10 both my husband and I submitted our time to our respective companies. We both were approved. My husband called me at work and told me that they had a briefing and all vacations scheduled for Oct 1st and beyond are cancelled and will need to be re-bid. They haven't told them when the re-bid will occur, only that it is a day by day decision.

I am hopeful that he will get approved....but if not I am going to be besides myself....we booked a suite since for 4 of us and have two other cabins booked for family. I took insurance out but didn't get the cancel for any reason since we had been approved. If he can't go, I will go but it won't be the same without DH!!

Just go anyway. He works for the govt they can't do anything to him

im4clowns indicated her DH works for the "government"...she didn't say if the government was city, county, state, for federal. I work for the federal government and there is currently no indication the federal government is going to shut down on anytime soon....(don't know if that is good or bad :D),

About biding for vacation....in my experience that usually only happens in vary large shops or large group of employees assigned to a work center. And bid usually just means the senior guys/gals pick their vacations period first.

Right to work...I thought that just meant that you did not have to belong to a union to get work...the employer hire both union or non-union employees...maybe be wrong here.

Right to work...I thought that just meant that you did not have to belong to a union to get work...the employer hire both union or non-union employees...maybe be wrong here.

That's correct. The Right to Work Act stipulates that there are no "closed" shops ... you cannot be required to join a union to work anywhere.

A right to work state does not mean right to make promises and then break them. A company's word should be its bond. If circumstances change, companies can find a way around them without cancelling vacation.

Now, if the place can fire you for no reason, they they will fire you if they want to, vacation or not. So if they fire you for taking the vacation, they will fire you if you don't take the vacation.

If they don't need you they will fire you... if they do need you they will keep you (especially if you are a good worker and are well-liked.) That's how it works. Vacation won't matter.

Any company or government agency can (and has) cancel your vacations due to "operational necessity". Keeping the operation staffed and running takes all precedence over an employees vacations.

Been down that road many times myself. It sucks!

Your husband should also check his employee agreement (or whatever it's called at his work).

I work for the Canadian Government and while they do have the right to cancel my vacation after approval, if they do so, they have to cover any non refundable costs.

It's why I never go by when my boss says "It's approved", I always ensure that it's in the pay system as approved. Once it's in the pay system, I'm protected if for some emergency they need me to cancel.

Working for the government as an employee and working for the government as a contractor are two entirely separate things.

The OP did not mention what the actual employment status is, but with the rebid talk, it sounds like he is a contractor. Not a good bargaining position.

im4clowns - the best advice is to (1) check your insurance for "cancel for work reasons' or "cancelled leave" (Carnival Berkely doesn't provide this coverage) and (2) to go to the boss with the "I booked when the leave was Approved and would lose a LOT of money in Penalties" story.

Does husband work for the (Federal) Government? Government Contractor?

Fire has thoroughly researched all the ES Options for Cancellation and Name Changes and such - if she hasn't found an "out" there isn't one.

Good Luck and keep us posted!

ken

I agree to many goverment employes all ready :mad:

Lol, the evil government slurping all our hard earned tax dollars... only to turn around and cancel vacation because they do not have enough people.

Yeah, fire them all and cut taxes! That sounds great. :rolleyes:

Archived