Question about using Free Internet Minutes

Daniel1313

Are you going on a 7 or 10+ day cruise? If you're going on a 10 day plus cruise purchase 250 minutes from the internet cafe. If you do this on the first day I believe you will receive an additional 50 minutes bonus. )

Unless Princess reversed it, the first day bonus is NOT applicable to Plat / Elite sign up.

It stopped offering such bonus since late 2009. We did not get the bonus on our Feb sailing on Crown.

I dont know those of you keep saying the first day sign up gets bonus minutes (30 extra minutes), are RECENT info or many moons ago when you last sailed.

We will be on Emerald on Oct 9, and will find out if the bonus on first day returns or not!

Thank you, 6pack.

I understand about the use of the cell for calling; that will be a last resort. I'm wondering if when I sign up for a wireless plan (which you've now convinced me it is reasonable to do, for my purposes), I am restricted to using it from just the laptop, or if I can swap off using either the laptop or the iPhone. But you're right, even if they do, AT&T will likely charge me for the outside the US data, even though I've "already paid" for it.

I keep reading that the internet connection is SLOW. But how slow?

Would you use your laptop in your room to read cnn.com?

Would you use it post here at CruiseCritic?

I would like to check my email at work while away (cheaper? than phone calls?), and we host our own email on site. For security reasons (key loggers, etc), I would never use an Internet cafe, on or off the ship, to access the server at work. Would you log in to Exchange Server over such a connection?

One last one- do they support using the iPhone via wireless for data, such as a direct email connection/connection to Outlook with calendar, contacts, email? Should be invisible, mostly, to the ship.

The Internet connection can be either very slow or non-existant. There are several reasons for this: where the ship is in relation to satellite coverage, how many people are using the Internet, and what those people are doing. Every now and then you'll get a faster connection but most of the time, I would liken it to using a 2400-baud dial-up modem. :( It can easily take five minutes to just log in. This is why it's important to use a text-based email system or one that doesn't use a lot of graphics.

People who upload/download photos, use Skype, go to graphics-intensive websites unknowingly use a lot of bandwidth, slowing down the Internet for everyone. The best time of the day to use it is either very early in the morning or during the main dinner hour. After dinner, the crew uses the Internet so it can be slow then.

Yes, you can use your iPhone with the Internet but according to the IT person on the Crown Princess a week or so ago, he explained that iPhones and iPads were having a lot of problems using the WiFi because of the way the Apple software handles WiFi. I know I had a terrible time earlier this month using either my iPad or iPhone. Others have reported no problems.

Yes, you will be using data if you have your iPhone turned on. I set up "World Traveler" and a global data plan that I can't see on the website right now.

I understand about the use of the cell for calling; that will be a last resort. I'm wondering if when I sign up for a wireless plan (which you've now convinced me it is reasonable to do, for my purposes), I am restricted to using it from just the laptop, or if I can swap off using either the laptop or the iPhone. But you're right, even if they do, AT&T will likely charge me for the outside the US data, even though I've "already paid" for it.
Yes, they will charge you because you are not using AT&T when you leave the U.S.

See above in red.

Since I use a web browser to access my email accounts, I have never had to pay a set up fee.

I believe you only have to pay the $3.95 set up fee if you want to set up a shipboard email account...at least that's been my experience each time.

Since I use a web browser to access my email accounts, I have never had to pay a set up fee.

I believe you only have to pay the $3.95 set up fee if you want to set up a shipboard email account...at least that's been my experience each time.

No.

You have to have the account set up in order to access Net.

Wifi works in your cabin and in most public rooms.

The wifi works in most cabins, but not all. The signal strength is usually "low"; on Deck 7(Promenade) and Deck 5 (Plaza), the strength is usually much better. On the Star in May, the wifi did not work well in our Emerald mid-ship cabin, but in a similar cabin on the Crown this month, it worked fine.

No.

You have to have the account set up in order to access Net.

Well, in dozens of Princess cruises including many recently...I get a Princess account with my sign in info & password to access the Net and there is no set up fee charged.

I'm certainly no expert but if they charge some passengers a set up fee the only thing that makes sense to me is if you get an onboard email account instead of using a web browser to access my personal email accounts.

Could there be another explanation why I never get charged this fee?

Anybody currently onboard a ship who could ask the Internet Cafe manager to clarify this question?

No Internet package or sign-up for the Internet, no Internet. You don't have a choice. The $3.95 charge is to log into the Internet service, no matter what email service you use. You are miles away from land so there won't be any other WiFi hotspots around. :)

FYI, the set-up charge is relatively new. I'd say it's probably just in the past year. There didn't used to be a set-up charge but now there is.

Well, in dozens of Princess cruises including many recently...I get a Princess account with my sign in info & password to access the Net and there is no set up fee charged.

I'm certainly no expert but if they charge some passengers a set up fee the only thing that makes sense to me is if you get an onboard email account instead of using a web browser to access my personal email accounts.

Anybody currently onboard a ship who could ask the Internet Cafe manager to clarify this question?

If you have dozens of Princess cruise, you are Elite. Princess does not charge the setup fee when you have the internet credit.

If you have dozens of Princess cruise, you are Elite. Princess does not charge the setup fee when you have the internet credit.

Thanks for the clarification Paul...I was wondering if that might be the case with the comp packages.

As Inspector Clouseau would say...another case is sol-ved! :-)

Merci

Again it is not true. The set up fee is for Access to the Net itself. Period.

On our last Princess cruises, 2008 2 TATL on Emerald, 2009 1 Mexican Rivera on Sapphire and 2010 1 Western Caribbean on Crown, the $3.95 was charge despite we are Plat and have the comp package. But I do not remember if the fee is charged on all the above cruises. At least it was charged on one or more because I do remember I questioned about the $3.95 and was told that only the minutes were free, the set up fee was not.

We will soon find out on our upcoming Oct 9 cruise to see if the $3.95 is charged and would it be reversed if it is charged.

On our last Princess cruises, 2008 2 TATL on Emerald, 2009 1 Mexican Rivera on Sapphire and 2010 1 Western Caribbean on Crown, the $3.95 was charge despite we are Plat and have the comp package. But I do not remember if the fee is charged on all the above cruises. At least it was charged on one or more because I do remember I questioned about the $3.95 and was told that only the minutes were free, the set up fee was not.

We will soon find out on our upcoming Oct 9 cruise to see if the $3.95 is charged and would it be reversed if it is charged.

Guess you missed my reply written about 30 minutes before your reply...Paul clarified it that Elite/Platinum credit accounts are not charged this $3.95 which has been the case each time for us.

On all of our cruises (except what is mentioned below), the setup fee has been waived for us (with out asking). On our last cruise, one of us was charged a setup fee and the other wasn't. I first went to the Purser's Desk and they sent me to the internet guy who promptly waived it and said it was a clerical error. They must have to manually waive it (like laundry, etc...).

I dont know those of you keep saying the first day sign up gets bonus minutes (30 extra minutes), are RECENT info or many moons ago when you last sailed.

We will be on Emerald on Oct 9, and will find out if the bonus on first day returns or not!

This has been discussed randomly the past few years and it seems very inconsistent. Last year, one cruise did give me bonus minutes and the other did not. When I didn't receive it, others sailing the same week on other ships did.

Whatever happens on the Emerald may or may not be what happens on other ships. Regardless- have a great time!

Guess you missed my reply written about 30 minutes before your reply...Paul clarified it that Elite/Platinum credit accounts are not charged this $3.95 which has been the case each time for us.

Guess you missed my reply just above yours - We are Plat and despite the comp package, we were charged the $3.95 - just that I dont remember whether each of the last 4 cruises were charged but I do remember I went down to purser desk to question it and was told only the minutes are free but not the 3.95.

Guess you missed my reply just above yours - We are Plat and despite the comp package, we were charged the $3.95 - just that I dont remember whether each of the last 4 cruises were charged but I do remember I went down to purser desk to question it and was told only the minutes are free but not the 3.95.

Sorry - I missed that also. If this happens again, ask the internet guy. Or, it may be something that is done differently ship by ship.

Coral's input before you clarifies this situation...maybe you've been unlucky to be charged & I've been lucky not to have been charged...which sounds like the bottom line.

Hope you don't get charged the next time & if so will be able to have it reversed like others have had done...have a great cruise!

This has been discussed randomly the past few years and it seems very inconsistent. Last year, one cruise did give me bonus minutes and the other did not. When I didn't receive it, others sailing the same week on other ships did.

Whatever happens on the Emerald may or may not be what happens on other ships. Regardless- have a great time!

Yeah, we did not plan on cruise the 3rd time this year after a 6 weeks TATL cruise and land trip in first half of year, plus the needs to do some domestic trips by end of this year. So I am stealing time from what needs to be done (the domestic flights) to do this Emerald 10day cruise because the price is too attractive! I actually feel a bit of guilt to bother Nancy for that. However there is a $75 OBC through Nancy and no such from Princess direct. :D

On our last 3 or 4 Princess cruises, there was a very big sign like a billboard stand, put up at the entrance of the Internet Cafe, as well as a print out on the manager's booth, about NO Bonus Minutes for free minutes package.

Definitely no bonus on Feb 2009 Sapphire Mexican Riviera and Feb 2010 Crown Western Caribbeans.

I will inquire the $3.95 if we are charged, although we are still Plat, not Elite yet. We have been cruising RCCL and HAL instead of Princess only, so still a couple more Princess cruises to reach Elite. The only Elite benefit I would like to have is free laundry and since Princess has laundry room, this is not a MUST have bennie. Free internet is by far most important. My understanding is both Plat and Elite enjoy the same level of bennie in this area.

On our last 3 or 4 Princess cruises, there was a very big sign like a billboard stand, put up at the entrance of the Internet Cafe, as well as a print out on the manager's booth, about NO Bonus Minutes for free minutes package.

Definitely no bonus on Feb 2009 Sapphire Mexican Riviera and Feb 2010 Crown Western Caribbeans.

I will inquire the $3.95 if we are charged, although we are still Plat, not Elite yet. We have been cruising RCCL and HAL instead of Princess only, so still a couple more Princess cruises to reach Elite. The only Elite benefit I would like to have is free laundry and since Princess has laundry room, this is not a MUST have benie. Free internet is by far most important. My understanding is both Plat and Elite enjoy the same level of bennie in this area.

I have only gotten 1 bonus minutes the last couple of years. It was nice while it lasted but it does seem inconsistent. I agree, the main benefit is internet. I can bring my own laundry soap and do my own laundry with out any problems.

We are doing a B2B over the holidays. So I will see how it is done on our cruise in December. It has been a very busy year and I haven't traveled much at all this year. Hopefully next year will be different.

Congrats on your Emerald price - that is awesome! BTW - I was happy, I got a 50K AA offer the other day and took them up on it. Though I heard others got a 75K offer. Oh well. First time I have churned in a few years.

Yeah, we did not plan on cruise the 3rd time this year after a 6 weeks TATL cruise and land trip in first half of year, plus the needs to do some domestic trips by end of this year. So I am stealing time from what needs to be done (the domestic flights) to do this Emerald 10day cruise because the price is too attractive! I actually feel a bit of guilt to bother Nancy for that. However there is a $75 OBC through Nancy and no such from Princess direct. :D

I will inquire the $3.95 if we are charged, although we are still Plat, not Elite yet. We have been cruising RCCL and HAL instead of Princess only, so still a couple more Princess cruises to reach Elite. The only Elite benefit I would like to have is free laundry and since Princess has laundry room, this is not a MUST have bennie. Free internet is by far most important. My understanding is both Plat and Elite enjoy the same level of bennie in this area.

No bonus minutes on our cruises recently either.

We're kind of Elite "rookies" (only last 2 cruises) & the additional perks are nice to have. We enjoy the laundry & dry cleaning (which someone commented is a different than on land) instead of having to find an open washer & dryer. The free Princess Grapevine wine tasting is enjoyable & getting a 10% discount in the shops. And you're correct, the internet credit is the same for Platinum & Elite.

Bon Voyage!

I have only gotten 1 bonus minutes the last couple of years. It was nice while it lasted but it does seem inconsistent. I agree, the main benefit is internet. I can bring my own laundry soap and do my own laundry with out any problems.

We are doing a B2B over the holidays. So I will see how it is done on our cruise in December. It has been a very busy year and I haven't traveled much at all this year. Hopefully next year will be different.

Congrats on your Emerald price - that is awesome! BTW - I was happy, I got a 50K AA offer the other day and took them up on it. Though I heard others got a 75K offer. Oh well. First time I have churned in a few years.

Yes, there is a 75K offer, and a 50K/50K offer out there - the 75K is $1500 spent in 4 months, and the 50K/50K is $750 spent and $10K spent in a year. The 50K/50K is a better deal if one can put $10K on it in a year (not too hard especially with some known ways). The application pages are NOT targeted meaning anyone can apply.

I will try the 75K after cruise but I am not sure I would get the personal card because Citi has now enforced the "offer good for first time customer only" - it seems you have to be without AA card for 9 to 12 months or even 18 months to become "first time customer" again. You know I would not qualify. :p However there is also business card versions on these, and I have never had AA business card before, hopefully I would be able to get at least one. We have amassed enough combined balance for 4 round trips to Asia/Austraila in business class, so I am happy even have to wait another year before another bonus. :) We did a OneWorld business class award to Pacific region (Asia, Australia and New Zealand), a 6 weeks long trip stopped at 11 cities and 8 countries at 150K AA miles each. Great usage of AA miles.

I have made it to AA lifetime Gold early this year by crossing 1 million lifetime miles. Now we are working on hubby's account which is at 930K lifetime miles as of today. Rumors are AA would change this unpublished bennie so we are at the edge if we want to transfer our Starwood points to make his account crossing 1 million by year end. However if we could, we would try to hold on our SPG pts as long as possible. I am checking 2 websites daily to monitor this issue.

We booked a 28 day cruise to Northern Europe in April on the Star which was actually an 18 day TA/Western Europe cruise & a 10 day Scandinavian/Baltics cruise. They treated it like 2 seperate trips for accounting purposes even though we booked it as one cruise.

There was no problem with it & they transferred our onboard account balance to the new one. But our free minutes had to be split into 2 packages but it ended up to be the same amount of minutes. The only issue was having to minimize our usage on the 18 day portion with many sea days vs. lots of minutes on the 10 day port intensive portion...each one as I recall was 250 minutes.

One pleasant surprise was since it was being accounted as 2 cruises...we got TWO free mini-bar set ups & TWO Princess Grapevine wine tastings.

Yes, there is a 75K offer, and a 50K/50K offer out there - the 75K is $1500 spent in 4 months, and the 50K/50K is $750 spent and $10K spent in a year. The 50K/50K is a better deal if one can put $10K on it in a year (not too hard especially with some known ways). The application pages are NOT targeted meaning anyone can apply.

Mine was 50K with $750 spent over 4 months. I am happy with that. I haven't had this card in years so I am ok.

Congrats on lifetime Gold! Impressive!

Since I reached the Platinum level, I have never been charged the $3.95 setup fee.

Archived