Platinum member question.

zebra

Documentation is in your posting above (which I changed to red).

The documentation you refer to will get guests into the preferred check in , not the platinum/elite lounge. It says nothing about friends getting into the platinum/elite lounge or priority boarding. My daughter (who was in a separate cabin) sailed with us and she went through the platinum/elite check in line but when we registered, my husband and I were given priority boarding passes and she was given one with a number on it. Additionally, she was not allowed into the platinum/elite lounge. We ended up waiting outside with her until her number was called.

I interpret guests as people who have not paid their own way but are instead part of the member's group. For example, a child's friend is not family, but would be a guest.

So when a hotel refers to the people who stay their as it's guests, it means that hotel guests have not paid their own way?

At LAX they wouldn't let me in to the Elite with my DH and grandson, so it is definitely up to the check in agent.

I don't think it has anything to do with the agent - nowhere does it say that you can bring guests into the platinum/elite lounge or waiting area. Princess allows you to bring guests into the priority check in line only. The agents are merely enforcing Princess policy

Okay so if I understand this correctly...we are traveling with another couple and this will be their first cruise...They can go into the priority check in line with us but not into the lounge/waiting area.

That seems pretty reasonable. The lounge would be overcrowded if everyone has their friends with them.

If they could check in with us, that would be easier tho, although I don't want to "step on any toes" so to speak. THe other option would be for us to go to the regular check in line with everyone else, since I don't want to just leave them on their own at the pier.

I don't think it has anything to do with the agent - nowhere does it say that you can bring guests into the platinum/elite lounge or waiting area. Princess allows you to bring guests into the priority check in line only. The agents are merely enforcing Princess policy

It does have to do with the person standing at the door checking status.

The lounge can get pretty crowded.

It does have to do with the person standing at the door checking status.

The lounge can get pretty crowded.

I see what you are saying. I thought the poster was referring to the agent at the check in desk. I also believe that due to the high numbers of platinum/elite passengers, there will be less opportunity for any leeway by the lounge agents. I have been told on my last three cruises (2 out of LA and one out of FLL) that no guests were allowed in the lounges due to the large number of Platinum/elites who were sailing.

I see what you are saying. I thought the poster was referring to the agent at the check in desk. I also believe that due to the high numbers of platinum/elite passengers, there will be less opportunity for any leeway by the lounge agents. I have been told on my last three cruises (2 out of LA and one out of FLL) that no guests were allowed in the lounges due to the large number of Platinum/elites who were sailing.

I had to read it a couple of times because thats how it sounded to me too. (desk check in). :)

The lounge in LA is pretty small.

I have a similar query regarding Elite status priority tender boarding.

I am aware that Elite passengers are invited to board the first tender and their guests may accompany them. Exactly how many guests would that be ...2 or maybe as many as 4?

Thanks.

Yes but less then 15. ;)

I hope they're kidding. Being Elite and allowing my parents to go in with me is a nice gesture and certainly a good selling point for Princess.

But, what bothers me is when folks who are Platinum/Elite and bring in 6 or more of their family or friends. It's not right and should not be allowed!

[quote name='Rob & Beckys mom']I just can't figure out why these events are so unattended. We seem to see the same few couples there every night & the poor waiters are falling all over themselves to make it a nice time. On our last cruise on Emerald we didn't get the usual card in the cabin informing us of the times & places. Have they stopped the card invitation?

Jan[/QUOTE]

I was on the Emerald a few weeks ago and we received the card with about 4 or 5 dates. Unfortunately we were unable to attend by of them. Most of them were too early and we weren't able to be dressed in our dinner attire by then.

Just a comment on the Elite, Suite and Platinum lounge....on our 9/4 seven day cruise they held it 5 out of 7 days. We only attended twice and we usually got there between 5:30 and 6:00. We only saw about 6 couples at that time. They did have the veggie and assorted cheese plate both times. They also had specials that included fresh made guacamole with tortilla chips, beef steak tartare, smoked salmon, melted raclette cheese and herb marinated goat cheese. They also offered special $2.99 cocktails. I thought it was very nice. Too bad more people didn't attend!!

As Pam said, I can't understand why this shuts down at 7pm. That's way too early for late-seating dinner. My next cruise will be my first as a Platinum member and I was looking forward to taking advantage of this nice feature...but if it closes an hour and 15 minutes before dinner even begins, I don't think I will.

[quote name='Aruba']As Pam said, I can't understand why this shuts down at 7pm. That's way too early for late-seating dinner. My next cruise will be my first as a Platinum member and I was looking forward to taking advantage of this nice feature...but if it closes an hour and 15 minutes before dinner even begins, I don't think I will.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I think I've been on about 5 cruises since they started the new lounge & have yet to attend the event. We dine early & afterward go to the main show so we never consider it. If it remained open till say around 9:30 or so it might be an option to try. [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Poor planning if you ask me. [/FONT]

[quote name='1 HappyCruiser'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I think I've been on about 5 cruises since they started the new lounge & have yet to attend the event. We dine early & afterward go to the main show so we never consider it. If it remained open till say around 9:30 or so it might be an option to try. [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Poor planning if you ask me. [/FONT][/quote]

[COLOR=indigo][B]I agree. It must be because the servers are needed in the dinner area or in the lounges.[/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='wizard-of-roz'][COLOR=indigo][B]I agree. It must be because the servers are needed in the dinner area or in the lounges.[/B][/COLOR][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]It could be. On our next trip we're doing thing much differently than in the past so we'll give it a try. We'll be eating most meals in Sabatini's or Crown Grill which don't open till 6 PM and that should give us a change to see what's it's all about, although I doubt if we'll be sampling any munchies. [/FONT];)

[quote name='1 HappyCruiser'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]It could be. On our next trip we're doing thing much differently than in the past so we'll give it a try. We'll be eating most meals in Sabatini's or Crown Grill which don't open till 6 PM and that should give us a change to see what's it's all about, although I doubt if we'll be sampling any munchies. [/FONT];)[/quote]

[COLOR=indigo][B]There is only so much you can eat in at any one time......I'm not a "small" person, by any means. But, to eat to the point that you can't breathe is not much fun![/B][/COLOR]

Since everybody seem to have an opinion on this, I'll run this by the jury.

We're sailing the Ruby in November. 10 in total. 5 of us are Platinum, the other 5 have never sailed. All 5 newbies are foreign and speak English as a 2nd language. I'll go ahead and tell you I plan to take them through the platinum line, so flame away if you want. But, I'm curious how you think that will go over on the rest of the crowd. Does a ratio of platinum/elite to non matter? I would not be doing it if it was only myself as platinum and 9 others. Talk amongst yourselves...

Archived