Traveling with non sightseers

journeys0404

How will they broaden their perspectives and learn something if they do not take in some of the world's treasures?

(This is coming from parents who dragged their two reluctant teenage boys to France, put them in public school, and went touring all over during holidays. We dragged them, reluctant again, home at the end of the year.)

Silly me, but why would you spend thousands of dollars for a Med cruise (history, museums, sights) and take non-sightseers, wouldn't you do better to take them to the Caribbean where they can swim, snorkel, kayak, zipline, etc. to their hearts content? And save a whole lot of money too!

While Europe does have beaches and non-historical stops, I think the money charged is to see just that World History. JMO

My adult kids in their 20's are not great sightseers and we are looking for some fun or adventurous things to do in Naples/Capri and Malta.

We took our adult daughter and son, both in their 20's, on a Med. cruise this past summer. It was the first cruise for both of them and first time in Europe. I arranged for private group tours in Naples, Rome and Florence and from Villefranche. We stayed away from art museums and church visits with the exception of the Vatican. In Naples we went to Pompeii with a guide, had lunch in Sorrento and then drove the Amalfi coast to Positano. A big hit with everyone.

Another suggestion: since we had so much family time during the day I told them, in advance, that they didn't have to have dinner with us if they didn't want to. Much to my surprise, they chose to have dinner with us every night except for the second formal night, which was fine with us.

Our cruise far exceeded everyone's expectations

Silly me, but why would you spend thousands of dollars for a Med cruise (history, museums, sights) and take non-sightseers, wouldn't you do better to take them to the Caribbean where they can swim, snorkel, kayak, zipline, etc. to their hearts content? And save a whole lot of money too!

It's hard to know what you like if you haven't had a chance to experience it. Maybe the exposure to Italy, Greece, etc. will result in an appreciation for and interest in some of the historical sites which they will undoubtedly see ... and down the road, they'll be the ones posting their knowledge here.:)

I agree with most of the sentiments here--you know your kids, but don't short-change them. I would insist that they research these places themselves and present some ideas to you.

A trip to Europe, when you're that age, is about education along with everything else--my first trip to Europe was a lengthy backpacking one, and I was 21--we did some of the great museums, art galleries and cathedrals of Europe--wow, what a learning experience that was! So don't let them off the hook completely with the cultural enrichment.

Another idea: if you do ship's tours, you could do different ones, allow them to go off and do their own thing while you do yours. After all, they are adults.

I went to Europe as a college student and the group had several kids just graduated from high school. They spent every evening at the bars and dancing and slept and groused all day on the tours. I remember thinking that their parents would have been upset seeing that they really got little out of the experience.

When a travel editor mentioned in an article that they took their older teen on Europe cruise, she said he groused and slept on the buses as he partied all nite at the disco, etc. Then, somewhere in Greece, he woke up and began to enjoy the trip - and the sites.

So, you never know - but if they show no interest, I would be very reluctant to take them - family time can be done cheaper. I know I am never taking MY kids if they show as little interest as they have on past vacations... and that was even when they were older :(

Archived