mini-panic regarding flight time, experts opinionss please!

cruisin_cutie

I was just relooking at my itinerary and it says we get back at 9:00am on sunday. The only flight i can find for a decent price is at 10:00am. Does the boat really get back a 9am?? in all my experiences we were docked wayyyy earlier than that and those who wanted to self disembark could be off by 8am or so. thats what we were planning on doing, getting ourselves off and able to make our 10am flight. i know 10 is pushing it, but seriously it would be like a hundred bucks extra each to fly out later.

so whats the scoop :)

I was just relooking at my itinerary and it says we get back at 9:00am on sunday. The only flight i can find for a decent price is at 10:00am. Does the boat really get back a 9am?? in all my experiences we were docked wayyyy earlier than that and those who wanted to self disembark could be off by 8am or so. thats what we were planning on doing, getting ourselves off and able to make our 10am flight. i know 10 is pushing it, but seriously it would be like a hundred bucks extra each to fly out later.

No way would I take that kind of a chance!!!! don't forget disembarkation lines, customs, check-in lines at the airport, transportation.....

I wouldnt.. Splendor for some reason is different than most other ports .. and doesnt get in so early..

We decided to spend another night in Miami post cruise. The Sunday evening flights were awful price wise, so the four of us will share a room for less than the increased air fare. The difference wasn't quite $100 extra airfare each, but for 4 of us in a balcony suite at the Marriott getting a good deal, there was no comparison.

We've never been to Miami, so we'll enjoy it and we'll need a day to decompress from a week cruise.

Is there a possibility of flying out the following day?

No way would i risk it....earliest you would get off would be 8:30 by the time you got the the airport checked in go through security .....No way ........

it may be $100 more but atleast you will make the flight with out the added pressure and get a chance to relax and not be stressed when get off your cruise..

Check other Airports in the area as well

No guarantee that ship will dock on time (been on too many diverted ships that came in late) even if it does dock on time and you get off on time and you get through customs fast and you get a taxi right away - I have always waited in line at the airport. No way would I take a chance that tight. You may save yourselves money but not worth the stress.

I wouldn't do it.... your mini panic could turn into a major crisis when you miss the flight.

I wouldnt.. Splendor for some reason is different than most other ports .. and doesnt get in so early..

I know why, it's because the Splendor never leaves Cabo on time. I have a vacation home in Cabo and see the line each week. The last tender is supposed to be at 2:30 and depart at 3:00. It never happens. Usually, more like 4:30.

Plus it's a good 45 minutes from the pier to the LAX. No way would at 10 am flight work.

I am a former flight attendant that lived and flew out of LAX airport. No way, as others said. The traffic around the airport is horrible, much less from the port. Please, you asked our advise and you got it. No one thinks you can make it. Panic only creates problems.

If it really is a couple hundred more each, could you stay the night and fly out the next morning? Just trying to think of options for you.....

Everyone has it right. Just did the Splendor in August and even with Platinum debark self assist we were not off the ship until 9:30. You are correct for the most part at other ports but in Long Beach, they really do mean 9:00 am before the ship gets cleared.

Book the later flight and take it easy for the day - but do something in LA as LAX is boring!

We were on the Pride two weeks ago. We were supposed to return to port at 10am, we didn't dock until 11:45 and didn't get off the ship until 2:15.

I know that's not the norm, but regardless, even if your ship did dock at 9am and miraculously cleared customs & immigration immediately, I don't see any way you would be able to leave the ship, travel to the airport, get through check in and security, and make a 10am flight.

that's why they are good deal. Because the times aren't good for cruisers.

Bill

Exactly the answer.

Cheap fares are always too early for cruisers. I can't recall if you said where you are coming into but there is a reason for the 1 1/2 to 2 hour rule, TSA, checkin, luggage, - it's not like they close the doors at 10:00 and then take off.

No Way. That should take the "panic" out of the equation.

Okay! Im convinced :o

heres the scoop of what I ended up doing. I assumed that my co-cruisers (DH and another couple) would want to fly out of LGB because its closest to the pier but it seems that our friends had assumed we were flying in/out of LAX and had been researching that. So, i was looking at flights from a different airport than they wanted!

The airfare price is the same but its going to cost more to travel from LAX because of the shuttles we will have to do. BUT the airline (southwest) doesnt charge for the 1st 2 bags so there is the money we would have "saved" by using LGB.

and...........the flight is at noon! so, no more panicking, thanks all for your unanimous NO!

PS heres an edit, not that it makes any difference! in my origional post i meant I was looking at a LGB 10:00am flight, not a LAX 10:00am flight

When I siled out of Miami they locked the port down when we got back due to a threat of some sort. No one got off the ship until after ten. There have been many cruises where they are doing the immigration inspection and we have been delayed getting off the ship. I would not book such an early flight.

Archived