Mediterranean Cruise

Lvtocruize2

We booked a Med. cruise leaving Venice on May 11th and disembarking in Monte Carlo on May 21st. Can anyone tell me, why on earth, when we are disembarking in such a beautiful place, there are no tours. I do know the answer because there are no excursions in the disembarking port. Why "tease" us with going to a super port and bus us to Nice to catch the plane?? I would love to spend some days in Monte Carlo, but due to the Grand Prix, it's going to be a zoo and no availability for rooms. So what we are going to do is book a hotel for a pre-cruise in Venice. Any suggestions for a hotel not outrageously priced and in a super location?

Definitely rec a post cruise in Nice. It is really wonderful. There are never excursions offered on the day of disembarkation for those disembarking. You are expected to do your own thing for post-cruise, or you can book a post-cruise package with Regent. But I have always found those to be outrageously priced.

Easy to do your own post-cruise in Nice.

The area around Monte Carlo is so charming - which includes Nice. You have Eze, St. Paul de Vence. We stayed in both MC and Nice - the Marche (Market) in Nice was wonderful with so many little cafes. You're not far from Cannes and Marseilles. The hill towns are great to visit.

There is a company called Dream Tours that we used. One of my most unforgettable tour days was in the little towns above Nice pre-cruise. We stayed at The Hotel Hermitage in MC and everything was over the top and so were the prices. Once was ok but I'd go to Nice again in a heartbeat over Monte Carlo.

we just were in Venice for the Regatta Storica and stayed at a very lovely 4 star hotel right on the Grand Canal - Palazzo sant'Angelo, at the vaporetto stop Sant'Angelo. wonderful staff and very comfortable hotel. I wrote a review on Trip Advisor which you could look up if you like. It was around EUR 300/night including breakfast, for two, in a large double room.

They disembark in MC because the Regent ships are too big for the port at Nice. We took a cruise on the Wind Surf that started in Nice; but that was a much smaller ship, and it still overwhelmed the port.

Do stay on the Cote D'Azur for a few days after the cruise. It's wonderful.

Oh my, whatever you do before your cruise, you must spend a couple of days after disembarking in the French Riviera. Nice is lovely in and of itself, and a perfect home base for exploring the surrounding area.

We spent a few weeks on an extended land trip in France a few years ago, with the final 3 days or so in that area. Although we had been in France a few times before, we'd never just taken our time to really explore. We stayed in Nice at the Le Palais de la Mediterranee. It was a gorgeous hotel, and at the time, at least, it was quite reasonable for a fairly luxurious hotel. As a rule, the hotels are less expensive in Nice than in Monaco or some of the hill villages.

You don't need an excursion. The area is safe, fun and easy to explore. Just stroll aimlessly around Old Town, with no destination in mind, all the while just enjoying the ambiance and hustle-bustle of Nice. All you'll need is a little direction from your hotel's concierge and a map that any hotel can provide.

The train system is very easy and inexpensive. For example, you can hop on in Nice and be in Monte Carlo in a mere 18 minutes at a cost of only about 7E round trip.

MonteCarlo-streetsandview.jpg

this is a view of Monte Carlo right after we exited the train station

You can spend hours just strolling in Monte Carlo, trying hard not to gasp too obviously at the evidence of extreme wealth EVERYWHERE. We're talking Rolls Royces, yachts, designer shops and gorgeous buildings on seemingly every corner. The views are absolutely breath taking. No wonder Grace Kelly left Hollywood behind to become a Grimaldi. Who wouldn't? Hollywood pales in comparison.

If you have the time (and the inclination to splurge), I also highly recommend a night at the Le Château de la Chèvre d'Or in Eze. Oh my, beautiful doesn't begin to describe it. Eze is a totally charming village, overlooking the sea at an altitude of close to 400 metres. It's name comes from the latin word avisione, which means viewpoint.

I'll say.

EzeVillage-viewfromourterraceCha-1.jpg

view from our balcony

Do you think it's too obvious that I am a Francophile, and that I particularly love this part of France? I would be happy to make other recommendations or answer questions.

• 2 weeks later...

Bonjour!

Just for your info: The Grand Prix 2011 takes place on May 29! You will be safe with your May 21st arrival.

Info 2: During the Grand Prix weekend, all hotels on the coast are expensive, from Cannes to San Remo in Italy. Most hotels ask for a minimum stay.

Info 3: By all means, stay in Monaco the week before the races, because it is quite exciting with all the preparations and TV and racing teams arriving beforehand. Hotels will be charging normal rates. You might consider one of the hotels on the outskirts of the city for they will be less noisy (such as the "Columbus", the "Marriott", the "Monte Carlo Bay" or the wonderful 5-star Monte Carlo Beach).

To stay close to the port, try the new Ni Hotel - colorful, modern, young, and right downtown, close to the action.

Info 4: As pointed out in so many comments on this site, Monaco is worthwhile a visit and centrally located for excursions along the coast.

Enjoy!

Archived