Laundry for suites and elites ...

pms4104

Many people on here complain about the laundry service, but I have had no problems except them not being able to get out a pre-existing stain. :o

Of course, I don't buy expensive clothes ... Wal-Mart variety ... and wouldn't be out much if they did ruin a piece or two.

Don't know if they use hot water or not, but things do come back cleaned and pressed. Even things like t-shirts come back pressed and on hangers.

Never had a problem with the laundry. Everything comes back just fine. For stains, I carry a small bottle of stain remover, spot it as soon as we return to the cabin, and send with the laundry the next morning.

I have never sent out the tux or my formal clothes. All other clothes, including slacks, undies, shorts, shirts, etc., have been returned in good shape.

Shirley

Hot water wash and high-heat drying?

Includes pressing or not?

Thanks for your anticipated help.

Pressing I believe is one of those 'check if you want it' options on the laundry slip or perhaps that was a reference to starch press. I think we only sent in one dress shirt and I believe that was pressed but while the T-shirts and golf shirts came back on hangers, I don't think they were pressed. Everything else from underwear, pajamas, socks, and the like came back in a sealed bag.

One thing I would note is that everything gets run through a dryer so a couple of my Tshirts shrunk a little bit so they're not as long. They're still wearable and like was already said..of Walmart quality so no harm no foul on replacing.

Also, on my so far one and only laundry run, the shirt I sent in for a large stain up top came back with that spot gone but spots along the bottom. Maybe that was a remnant of the steam press? The spots disappeared after I washed the shirt at home. Somewhere on the Caribbean Princess is a ladies' plain white sock that never made it back to me from the laundry. Guess dryers everywhere really do eat socks! :)

I send in only those clothes that can stand up to warm to hot/warm water wash and hot dryers, in other words, things have been been washed this way in the past at home. All other clothing that I either don't want dried or want cleaned another way I do myself onboard at the self service laundry. It's great that they allow this complimentary onboard for some of us that have either booked a suite or reached Elite status, but I don't expect them to wash my things seperately according to instructions, as it just won't happen. ;)

Of course, I don't buy expensive clothes ... Wal-Mart variety ... and wouldn't be out much if they did ruin a piece or two.

The only problem I had -- they brought back some other passengers

laundry instead of what I had sent out.

As it was 5:00pm on the last night, I was a little worried.

But, somehow the steward knew what he had switched, and

retrieved the right clothes.

Also, on the last cruise, I got two day AND presto service. Some

things came back next day, and some things didn't -- I didn't check

any box, as I only wanted what was free.

Thanks to you both for your replies.

Only reason I ask is that I use mostly cold water wash and low heat dry ... and I didn't want stuff to shrink, fade, or fall to similar fates.

We wrote on the form requesting cold water & cool dry but have no way to know if it was done that way...doesn't hurt to ask. However any truly gentle type of clothing we want to ensure doesn't get damaged, we go to the self serve laundromat.

We have used the option to have things like a suit pressed which worked. I read in another thread that their drycleaning is a different but safe technique. I got butter on my coat's sleeve & quickly got it in for drycleaning which didn't get rid of it. Took it to my drycleaner at home who said "they didn't try very hard" before removing the now set in stain.

Not complaining because they process a tremendous amount of laundry so it won't be like at home. I'm amazed they do it without losing more items...it's not like in the Navy where items have your name & number stenchiled on it. You may want to remove the small (1" x 1/4") ID tags on your larger items after they're returned

Overall a great perk for achieving an Elite level & a great way to minimize the amount of clothing brought onboard.

They've ruined enough of my underwear, socks & t shirts that I no longer use their "free" Elite service. It's safer to wash out things in the bathroom sink and it dry by the next morning or go to the laundry & do it yourself. My wife doesn't use the hot dryer at home they shrink almost everything I used to give them.

The only thing I do trust is their "cleaning" service which so far hasn't messed up.

I never has a problem with any ships laundry or dry cleaning.

On RCCL I had this one sweat shirt I wanted to take for my son to Alaska. It was all white, very heavy duty and it was very nice for a young man in Alaska who won't were coats. The sweat shirt had alot of stains in the front, prbably food stains. So I did everythiing I could thing of to get it clean, soaked it in OXYclean for a day, soak it is Clorox and super hot water for a day, Tried stain removal products, nothing. So I said he is a young boy(15) and will get it dirty in Alaska. The very first day, he got choc cake all over the front. I sent it to the ship laundry. I could not believe it when it came back. As white as white and the stains I could not get out were gone. I would like to know that secret. LOL

Plus I always sent the baby's clothes to the laundry, figured they would get them disinfected because of the hot water they use.

if it came back smaller,it was because u probably ate too much!!:eek:

NOT TRUE!!!!

I have been telling DW for years that there is something wrong with our washer and dryer because all of the waistlines on my pants keep shrinking.

...and as far as brand new clothes, well they are mislabeling the sizes on everything.

They've ruined enough of my underwear, socks & t shirts that I no longer use their "free" Elite service. It's safer to wash out things in the bathroom sink and it dry by the next morning or go to the laundry & do it yourself. My wife doesn't use the hot dryer at home they shrink almost everything I used to give them.

The only thing I do trust is their "cleaning" service which so far hasn't messed up.

I completely agree. Cleaning seems to come back fine (and we don't generally send Dry Clean Only clothing for Cleaning, just washable). We send items such as cotton shirts, shorts and pants for Cleaning. Dry Clean Only clothing we don't generally trust to have done onboard at all. And laundry items (i.e. undies, socks, jammies and tshirts) we're going to do ourselves in the laundry this time. I have a litany of complaints about what Princess does to those clothes. I'll spare you most of the details, but will just say that I'm looking down at the tshirt I'm currently wearing, and there are about 5 little pencil point sized holes all over it, thanks to the free Princess laundry.

ETA: Can any recent Elite cruisers comment on same day v. next day service? Last I heard, it was next day only for the complimentary service, and, if that's still true, I'm planning to pack a couple more pairs of shorts.

On my recent Crown cruise, I sent a couple of things to be washed that I wanted back that night (my nightgown and a pair of slacks.) My steward told me I'd be charged the same day fee. I got them back later in the afternoon and when I checked my folio, the laundry charge was credited back. So, I wasn't charged.

ETA: Can any recent Elite cruisers comment on same day v. next day service? Last I heard, it was next day only for the complimentary service, and, if that's still true, I'm planning to pack a couple more pairs of shorts.

So far, it seems to be hit or miss, probably more likely to be enforced on a ship full of Elite cruisers due to the volume/demand for presto, as opposed to the cruise we took this summer with not even enough elite cruisers to fill the most-traveled Captain's Luncheon with elite passengers. We had no problem requesting and receiving presto complimentary laundry service. That being said, I have the laundry ready for the steward before we leave for dinner in the evening, and want it back by 5 the next day.

And I do not trust my more delicate items to the laundry, I do them myself. This means nearly 100% of DH's items and maybe 25% of mine go to the ship's laundry, and the remaining items head to the passenger laundry room with me, some quarters and Purex sheets.

Ginger

So far, it seems to be hit or miss, probably more likely to be enforced on a ship full of Elite cruisers due to the volume/demand for presto, as opposed to the cruise we took this summer with not even enough elite cruisers to fill the most-traveled Captain's Luncheon with elite passengers. We had no problem requesting and receiving presto complimentary laundry service. That being said, I have the laundry ready for the steward before we leave for dinner in the evening, and want it back by 5 the next day.
Ginger, I agree that it could be hit or miss, but I think it depends on the steward and the laundry. Our Crown cruise had about 350 Elite (not even counting Platinum which were hundreds more -- Priority Boarding was a mess) and my sister, with almost 400 days sailed on Princess, didn't qualify to attend the most-traveled luncheon. That's some serious "Elite" cruisers so I don't think it's more enforced on an Elite-heavy cruise. :)

The letter in the cabin for Elite members now states that the same day service is not included. You may get it back the same day if handed in early enough, but you should not check "presto" service if you want it at no charge.

I have enjoyed the free laundry service from socks to the Tux for a long time without any misshaps. I even bring my white slacks that never come out really white for me at home. I give it to them and man, they come back so brite and white its just fantastic.

Thanks for the info on same day vs next day service for Elites. I've read that it is next day three times now on CC. On the Internet, that's gospel!;). I will fill out the slips as next day, and be surprised and pleased if it gets returned any earlier. Just need to make a couple packing adjustments. We were able to pack pretty lightly with same day service!

Ginger, we've bought the Purex sheets too, for our HAL cruises and the things we're going to launder ourselves on Princess. Good to know they work so well.

We had no problem requesting and receiving presto complimentary laundry service. That being said, I have the laundry ready for the steward before we leave for dinner in the evening, and want it back by 5 the next day.

Ginger

Should you get clothes back at 5PM the next day when turning clothes in for cleaning the night before? On our last cruise the cabin steward told us if we turned it in when we leave for 6PM dinner, he could not get it to the laundry that night. He would hold it till morning, turn it in to laundry services that day, then we had to wait till diner still another day to get them back. This was actually more like a 2 day service. Has this been what others experience?

The free laundry and dry cleaning service is really a super perk - right up there with free internet. I have only heard one complaint from an Elite passenger who sent in a white dress shirt that never came back.

Should you get clothes back at 5PM the next day when turning clothes in for cleaning the night before? On our last cruise the cabin steward told us if we turned it in when we leave for 6PM dinner, he could not get it to the laundry that night. He would hold it till morning, turn it in to laundry services that day, then we had to wait till diner still another day to get them back. This was actually more like a 2 day service. Has this been what others experience?

If it is truly NEXT DAY service, then you're right. We ask our steward when is the latest he/she can accept that day's laundry (it's usually 9am or so). So we put it out when we leave for breakfast. We used to get it back that day around 5pm (when the steward came back on duty for the evening). Now we'll most likely get it back the next day at 5pm.

Archived