The all time SMOKING???

Don't know who told you that, but it's not the case. We've never heard anything about sides of the ship being non smoking with regards to cabins. Yes, there are smoking and non smoking sides of the ship in some of the public rooms, but not the cabins.

Probably not on Carnival either they just wanted to shut me up I think because the room next to me blew smoke on my balcony must of bee 10 smokers, well maybe two but seemed like 10, and I could not use it at all.. I was just upset I paid so much extra money and could only look out window.:eek: Just like to know before I try again.. at least I will be ready. I will probably get a cigar guy this time..Lupus and asthma don't mix with smoke.

Yea I knew that but I went to the front desk and complained because I could not use my balcony and they told me I was on the wrong side and should of got my cabin on the opposite. They were just blowing smoke up my behind I think. I wanted my money back for the difference of a window room from a balcony because I could not use mine. Said my room was a non smoking but not the balcony. Make sure I get the other side next time. Really love to cruise so does my family but don't like hospitals much and too much smoke puts me there. icon9.gif Couldnt go in the clubs or piano bar either. It was just a real smokey trip. Time before was not as bad.

Yea I knew that but I went to the front desk and complained because I could not use my balcony and they told me I was on the wrong side and should of got my cabin on the opposite. They were just blowing smoke up my behind I think. I wanted my money back for the difference of a window room from a balcony because I could not use mine. Said my room was a non smoking but not the balcony. Make sure I get the other side next time. Really love to cruise so does my family but don't like hospitals much and too much smoke puts me there. icon9.gif Couldnt go in the clubs or piano bar either. It was just a real smokey trip. Time before was not as bad.

Sorry to say they were 'blowing you off'. Never heard of cabin/verandas being smoking on one side but not the other. They gave the quick, easy answer though it wasn't accurate.

Sounds to me like your expectations are just way too high. Could be that cruiseing is just not for you.

While I feel your plight, some things in life just can't be accomodated 100%

Carnival may be the worst line for nonsmokers and smoke is prevalent in many public exterior as well as interior rooms. You have to take precautions if you are a nonsmoker bothered by smokers on Carnival ships. They do have non-smoking balcony cabins (no smoking in balcony or in cabin) in Spa class balcony cabins. We booked one for our next cruise. There are also sides of the ship to avoid.

However, getting a balcony cabin if you're not in spa level or even on many other lines, is a crapshot. Sometimes, like OP, you roll snake eyes and you just cannot enjoy your balcony. I know that's awful and that on longer cruises, the balcony can be well over a $1,000 investment. For some reason, Carnival certainly seems to attract a lot of smokers. It is less of a problem on Princess for us as Princess does not allow smoking in most interior public rooms (maybe only in Wheelhouse in one section?). I didn't even notice it in the balcony area. As someone suggested, Celebrity does not allow it at all on any balcony.

If your balcony is above one of the public decks on the side where smoking is allowed, then it may be a factor.

Crystal cruise lines does not allow smoking on balconies, but one may smoke in one's own cabin and none of the cabins are restricted from having smokers in them.

I have been a smoker for 64 years. I remember the days where the non smokers went outside. :) I do try to respect the non addicted in all situations. I do wonder about the sensitivity of folks when someone is smoking on the balcony of the ship while it is moving along at almost 30 mph and the breeze is pretty stiff outside. Considering the fact that breathing the air in LA is equivalent to smoking three packs a day (govt. stats) and the polluted air just about anywhere people congregate with cars, trucks, forest fires, etc. causes breathing issues, makes me wonder just have many folks are operating on a mental level rather than physical. If it is truly physical, I have great sensitivity for you. Communication with the smokers is a real issue and, some are not very caring about your feelings. With that being said, I am on Carnival next month. I will still have my morning coffee and smoke on the fantail at sunrise. The rest of the time I will have my e-cig in my mouth. Not only for the nicotine fix but for the reactions of the paranoid non smokers. Should create some interesting conversation at the very least. :cool:

I have been a smoker for 64 years. I remember the days where the non smokers went outside. :) I do try to respect the non addicted in all situations. I do wonder about the sensitivity of folks when someone is smoking on the balcony of the ship while it is moving along at almost 30 mph and the breeze is pretty stiff outside. Considering the fact that breathing the air in LA is equivalent to smoking three packs a day (govt. stats) and the polluted air just about anywhere people congregate with cars, trucks, forest fires, etc. causes breathing issues, makes me wonder just have many folks are operating on a mental level rather than physical. If it is truly physical, I have great sensitivity for you. Communication with the smokers is a real issue and, some are not very caring about your feelings. With that being said, I am on Carnival next month. I will still have my morning coffee and smoke on the fantail at sunrise. The rest of the time I will have my e-cig in my mouth. Not only for the nicotine fix but for the reactions of the paranoid non smokers. Should create some interesting conversation at the very least. :cool:

One of the great things of being at sea is the unpolluted ocean air - which does get impacted by tobacco smoke. Of course, smokers, whose senses of taste and smell are dulled, are nowhere near as sensitive to the smell of burning tobacco as non-smokers. Sure, smokers have the right to smoke in areas of ships where it is permitted -- just as non-smokers have the right to mention their dislike of having to breathe someone elses smoke - no matter how diluted it might be.

try Celebrity. No smoking on balconies or cabins. there seem to be fewer interior smoking venues and consequently fewer smokers. quieter with better food and service than Carnival IMHO. You may come home feeling you have been on vacation.

I have been a smoker for 64 years. I remember the days where the non smokers went outside. :) I do try to respect the non addicted in all situations. I do wonder about the sensitivity of folks when someone is smoking on the balcony of the ship while it is moving along at almost 30 mph and the breeze is pretty stiff outside.

As a non-smoker, I respect your right to smoke in approved areas, and if I had a problem with the approved area, I would take it up with the cruiseline corporate office when I got home.

Considering the fact that breathing the air in LA is equivalent to smoking three packs a day (govt. stats) and the polluted air just about anywhere people congregate with cars, trucks, forest fires, etc. causes breathing issues, makes me wonder just have many folks are operating on a mental level rather than physical.

That's irreverent. The smoke you inhale is poisonous. Your lungs don't clean it out for me. And you don't know. Maybe many of the non-smokers are working hard to get things like internal combustion engine emissions cleaned up too.

I will still have my morning coffee and smoke on the fantail at sunrise. The rest of the time I will have my e-cig in my mouth. Not only for the nicotine fix but for the reactions of the paranoid non smokers. Should create some interesting conversation at the very least. :cool:

More power to you, as long as you keep it to a smoking allowed area. Yeah, I'll bet the e-butt draws some looks.

First cruise we had a balcony. We were surrounded by smokers. The two ladies next to us were on their balcony every moment that I tried to use my balcony. They smoked non-stop. I don't know why, but the breeze from the ship moving didn't do a darn thing to clear it out. It really put a crimp in my enjoyment of the balcony. But they were smoking there because they were allowed to, so my tough luck.

Your best course is to call the cruise line directly to hear right from the source what their policies are in this regard. I am not taking either side as I quit the habit as far as cigarettes go, but I can see both sides of the question clearly.

Cruise lines are in the hospitality business which means that they have to walk a very thin line to accommodate all of their individual guests. It cannot be an easy task to accomplish.

We are going to have our first balcony in December on Voyager and I hope it is not ruined by a constant smoker whose smoke finds it way over into my breathing space. If it does, I will just have to start my wonderful singing.

I am so wonderful that I was told to lip sync in church and couldn't even make third grade choir. But that smoke may just inspire me to tune up the old vocal chords. It will be interesting to see who gets to enjoy the balcony.

We are going to have our first balcony in December on Voyager and I hope it is not ruined by a constant smoker whose smoke finds it way over into my breathing space. If it does, I will just have to start my wonderful singing.

I am so wonderful that I was told to lip sync in church and couldn't even make third grade choir. But that smoke may just inspire me to tune up the old vocal chords. It will be interesting to see who gets to enjoy the balcony.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

I nominate this for "Post of the week."

well, we SHOULD have a post of the week, anyway.

Your best course is to call the cruise line directly to hear right from the source what their policies are in this regard. I am not taking either side as I quit the habit as far as cigarettes go, but I can see both sides of the question clearly.

Cruise lines are in the hospitality business which means that they have to walk a very thin line to accommodate all of their individual guests. It cannot be an easy task to accomplish.

That's fine and dandy. But how many companies actually have call centers that know what they're talking about any more?

I find this thread very useful. As a first time cruiser in the stages of planning an Alaska cruise next year I am heavily leaning toward Celebrity for the very fact they don't allow smoking in the cabins/balconies. Can't think of anything that would ruin my trip more than a cabin smelling of stale smoke and getting whiffs of someone's smoke while relaxing on my balcony. My two cents.

Archived