Kindle Question

Live4cruises

Let's see ...

HAL is in Seattle.

Amazon is in Seattle.

Maybe HAL could put Kindles in the ship's library to check out,

and some in the shop to sell!

Seems like the way to get hooked on a Kindle is when

you have time to, and actually do, a lot of reading!!.:)

Just a thought.

How long does the battery stay charged. We will be on a 14 day cruise with post and pre nights. Does a wall charger come with a Kindle? Is it appropriate for the electric outlets on the ship?

Thanks

Battery life depends on the specific model (the newer ones have a longer lasting battery) My Dx lasts about a week and I also think it lasts longer with the Wi-Fi/3G disabled.

Yes it comes with a wall charger which will plug into a standard US 120v outlet like those found on board. Many "borrow" a power strip from the ship (or bring their own) to increase the number of available outlets.

I have a Kindle 2 (had to replace my Kindle 1 after accidentally leaving it on an airplane). I hope the "lucky" recipient appreciates my absentmindedness. I was not happy that Amazon couldn't intercept its use when that person most likely tried to register it on Amazon. But I digress...

When my brother left his on a plane, Amazon disabled it so it can't be used at all. Not that it gets you your Kindle back. It did teach me to stick a label on the back with my contact info if found. There's always a chance the person who finds it might choose to be ethical, particularly if they can't use it.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to thank everyone for their comments/reviews of the various e-Readers!!

I'd not considered one until this thread came up. Now I've just purchased a Kobo e-Reader, the new version with WiFi, and absolutely love it!!

While there is a glitch that will take a couple months for the fix to come out, it does not download directly to the e-Reader, I was able to call customer service and they walked me through the entire process of how to get my purchased books to my Kobo via Adobe's e-Pub.

Thank you all!! This is a great device and I love it!!

Joanie

I'm not familiar with the Kobo ereader. Just wondering why you picked it over the more established brands such as Kindle and Nook. Can you return it if the downloading glitch continues?

I chose it after reading about 50 reviews of various e-Readers. CNet rated it anong the top as did several people that actually have one of the non WiFi versions.

I actually did not want a WiFi version, but cannot locate any here in Albuquerque so went to various retail stores and did a hands on of the various e-Readers on the market.

I loved the fact that there is no keyboard at the bottom (I hold it in a way, that a keyboard at the bottom would be extremly awkward for me to actually read. The Kibi has a round button on the bottom right and is easily avoided in the way that I hold it while reading.

I could return it except that it is all of the new WiFi Kobos that have this glitch and the fix will be available in 2 months free of charge.

Plus the fact that I paid $129.00 for it and it does all that I want so easily. Literally, it is idiot friendly, which equals Joanie can use it:D

BTW, Kobo e-Reader is from Sony.

Joanie

Interesting. How do you order books without a keyboard?

Peaches.... My understanding is that the Kobo has a "virtual keyboard" that pops up on screen like the Apple iPod Touch & iPad.

Joanie.... Hope you will enjoy your Kobo as much as I enjoy my Kindle! Either way, neither one of us will have to worry about checking luggage that might be overweight because of too many books. :)

Interesting. How do you order books without a keyboard?

I order them through my PC and Kobo Books.com I download them in Adobe's e-pub.pdf format. And once downloaded, I can either read them on my PC or using the USB cable that accompanies the Kobo e-Reader (also its power supply) I sync and download to my Kobo.

It is awesome:)

Joanie

Peaches.... My understanding is that the Kobo has a "virtual keyboard" that pops up on screen like the Apple iPod Touch & iPad.

Joanie.... Hope you will enjoy your Kobo as much as I enjoy my Kindle! Either way, neither one of us will have to worry about checking luggage that might be overweight because of too many books. :)

Yes, it does have a virtual keyboard. It is in fact. just like the virtual keyboard on my Cell Phone:)

Amen to not having to either worry about bringing reading material or going to the Ship Library to get some. My Kobo can hold up to 1000 novels, it would take me a World Voyage to read that many;)

Another positive about the Kobo over the other e-Readers that I checked out was the Font size. Since I am legally blind, I have to have a large enough font that I can read. The Kobo has 5 font sizes and I can import Fonts, via the same download route as e-Books) and read the books in whatever font I like:)

It also has e-Ink and e-Paper, so no glare and easily readable:)

Joanie

Obie, You have it packed? We leave in 3 days. Yay!!

Love my new Kindle. I've just finished the first book and now I'm reading my next book club book on it. The hard cover copy of the book had print that was way too small for me to read, even with reading glasses, With the Kindle, I can make the font any size that's comfortable.

So far, CC has helped me to buy a laptop computer to travel with, an ipod, a new camera and now the Kindle. What's next?

I'm glad you are enjoying it, Joanie. I don't think I'd be crazy about having to download from a computer, however, especially when traveling and not wanting to take my laptop. I guess you would load everything you would want to read beforehand. My Kindle also has many font sizes, 8, and I'm sure Nook must, too. I just wasn't familiar with Kobo.

I'm glad you are enjoying it, Joanie. I don't think I'd be crazy about having to download from a computer, however, especially when traveling and not wanting to take my laptop. I guess you would load everything you would want to read beforehand. My Kindle also has many font sizes, 8, and I'm sure Nook must, too. I just wasn't familiar with Kobo.

Look at it this way; it is safer to have a back up of your files, important programs on your computer right?? That is exactly what I wanted with an e-Reader. Plus it means that I can disable the WiFi on the e-Reader and not be scared it is on, accidentally, and accessing the ship WiFi at theri high prices.

Hubby will always have his lap top with him, so that I can charge my Kobo, if necessary:) This cruise I am not bringing my lap top. It has sat unopened from its case the last 3 cruises.

Yws, I am already in the process of researching the e-Books I want to read and purchase. I have 4 downloaded now and will probably have a heck of a lot more than those 4 and the free classics already there.

I thought you were unfamiliar with Kobo, as was I before this thread started. I did a Google search for e-Reader reviews, and I leearned about it through the reviews.

Joanie

I just purchased a Kindle before my Westerdam cruise in September. I'm a book editor; thought I'd never buy an e-reader and probably wouldn't have except for the fact that airline luggage weight restrictions are now so much tighter...

Anyway, so far I love my Kindle. In addition to making it easy to read a number of novels, it is also great for travel reference books. I also like to re-read parts of certain "classics" that take place in or near places I am visiting (e.g., "A Room with a View" in Florence) -- another excellent use for Kindle.

However, what I found unexpectedly useful is the ability to upload all my trip notes to the Kindle. I always create very detailed notes about the cities/countries I'm visiting, including info found online, in magazine articles, travel websites, etc. Now it is quite easy to get these on my Kindle rather than carting around hard copies. You can just read your notes over the evening before each port.

For Kindle Amazon backs them up for you, so you can recover them if your reader is lost or damaged and you can access anything you have previously purchased/downloaded, for your PC as well with "kindle for PC" (free).

The Nook is the same - books are on your Barnes & Noble account if anything happens to your Nook. Lots of freebies too - I have over 120 books on my Nook and have probably paid for about 25 of them.

I just purchased a Kindle before my Westerdam cruise in September. I'm a book editor; thought I'd never buy an e-reader and probably wouldn't have except for the fact that airline luggage weight restrictions are now so much tighter...

Anyway, so far I love my Kindle. In addition to making it easy to read a number of novels, it is also great for travel reference books. I also like to re-read parts of certain "classics" that take place in or near places I am visiting (e.g., "A Room with a View" in Florence) -- another excellent use for Kindle.

However, what I found unexpectedly useful is the ability to upload all my trip notes to the Kindle. I always create very detailed notes about the cities/countries I'm visiting, including info found online, in magazine articles, travel websites, etc. Now it is quite easy to get these on my Kindle rather than carting around hard copies. You can just read your notes over the evening before each port.

I had forgotten that is also an ability with my Kobo... Thank you for reminding me to upload these things into it ASAP!!:)

Joanie

Obie, You have it packed? We leave in 3 days. Yay!!

Hi Michelle.... Haven't packed my Kindle or anything else just yet. Tomorrow is day 1 of our packing when we'll do all but the last minute stuff. We head for San Diego Sat morning for a relaxed boarding Sun morning. Good luck with your packing & have a great cruise.... I'm sure we both will. Loving my Kindle!

Love my new Kindle........ So far, CC has helped me to buy a laptop computer to travel with, an ipod, a new camera and now the Kindle. What's next?

Hi Carol.... Just let it be known what you're in the market for & I'm sure you'll get lots of opinions.:D BTW, you asked me to post how we liked our new style Kindle cases that were not yet released. Well, they are supposed to be delivered tomorrow or Friday.... just in time for our cruise so not sure if I'll get an opinion posted before we leave but will when possible.

I have had my Kindle for a couple of years and could not go anywhere without it. Now the question is: What books are you downloading and why? I am always looking for new books.:p

I prefer Romances, specifically historical romance. But I also love the classics like Jane Eyre, Anna Karenina...

I've downloaded 4 Historical Romances so far.

Joanie

Archived