The "Today Show" Germ Check

HeatherInFlorida

Perhaps some of you saw the Today Show this morning when they boarded a cruise ship for a week (tough assignment:) ) They wouldn't say which ship and I couldn't tell. From what I could see, their goal was to find as many germs as possible;) .

After watching I came away learning 2 things most definitely:

(1) Don't even THINK about going in a hot tub on any cruise ship. You don't even want to know the bacteria they found there.

(2) Purel and other hand sanitizers do not kill the Norwalk or Norvo virus germs and will not protect you.

Actually, they found the ship was pretty darn clean and certainly had no more germs than any other public place where people congregate.

In the end, they said the absolutely best defense against getting sick on a cruiseship or anywhere else is to wash your hands with soap for 30 seconds and also rinse them for 30 seconds several times a day.

Just thought I'd share.

I saw where they were going to air that this morning, but was at work and unable to watch. However, here's the link to the story and video. The thing is, those same people could come into your/my house and find all the germs they found on the ship ... and probably more. Same for the workplace. Environmental surfaces everywhere are loaded with all sorts of flora and fauna.

Washing hands frequently should certainly be a regular part of daily regimen. But also, keep your fingers and other objects out of your mouth. We'd all probably be surprised how often we bite our nails, put our fingers to our mouths, chew on pens/pencils, or hold papers in our lips. All of this serves to bring those nasty babies home to us.

I'm glad I'm not a big fan of hot tubs!

I saw the promo yesterday, but knew work would keep me from watching (work keeps me from lots of things :rolleyes: ).

Thanks for the summary, Heather.

And Jim, you are so right about coming in to my house! I figure as long as the Board of Health hasn't closed me down everything's all right!

I saw where they were going to air that this morning, but was at work and unable to watch. However, here's the link to the story and video. The thing is, those same people could come into your/my house and find all the germs they found on the ship ... and probably more. Same for the workplace. Environmental surfaces everywhere are loaded with all sorts of flora and fauna.

Washing hands frequently should certainly be a regular part of daily regimen. But also, keep your fingers and other objects out of your mouth. We'd all probably be surprised how often we bite our nails, put our fingers to our mouths, chew on pens/pencils, or hold papers in our lips. All of this serves to bring those nasty babies home to us.

I'm glad I'm not a big fan of hot tubs!

Absolutely, Jim ... and they also said keep your hands and fingers away from your eyes! That's another very fertile breeding ground and germs are easily transfered through the tear ducts.

And I'm not having any germ people come in my house anytime soon ... rest assured;) !

Thanks for the report. Didn't see the show - I watch GMA.

YEARS ago I gave up using the hot tubs after several people got sick - Legionaires Disease broke out on a cruise ship and it was traced back to the hot tubs.

Our doctor told us a couple of years ago that Purell only helps a little to kill germs - the best weapon - HOT water.

I teach for the American Red Cross. One thing we stress in our classes is hand washing & that 15-20 seconds of scrubbing your hands using your nails will help in disease prevention. Best to use is liquid soap, bar soap will carry germs. I pack liquid soap & take w/ me in purse just like anti-bacterial gels.

Maddie

When my husband was in chemo, I learned a lot about hand-washing.

The oncology nurses kept telling everyone no matter how long you THINK you are washing your hands, it's not long enough...and use friction! That, and don't use your hands to turn off the water, use your elbow, and use the paper towel you just dried your hands with to open the door to the restroom to leave.

Was there any information on who would most likely catch the virus? Are there certain types of folks that are more susceptible or less susceptible? Are there activities that make passing the virus easier, other than hot tubs? I beleive someone posted that staying out doors on the outside decks is preferable to being in enclosed rooms, that makes sense.

Heather, thanks for the posting and Jannah for the link.

Very interesting statistic that only 10 percent of the illness on cruise ships (no surprise). Yet many of us are pretty sure the media focuses almost all its attention of the problem to the cruise industry. In a way, guess it does serve some purpose in keeping us cruisers ever alert.....

Have given up cruise ship hot tubs and pools many, many years ago prior to the noro publicity. Don't even bother to pack swim wear anymore. But then I'm lucky enough to be able to walk out my patio door and swim....but not lately with the weather like it has been.....Bet some feel sorry for me..icon7.gif

Happy cruising....

Too late to edit my prior post..... Just wanted to add that RCI board poster called NBC and said the ship was the Enchantement of the Seas...Many recognized it as an RCI ships based on waiters colored vests....

As someone who has been in the media for about 46 years, I'm firmly of the opinion that before the "Today" show starts inspecting germs on cruise ships, it should take a look at germs in media newsrooms, lunch rooms and work places.

I worked at a newspaper where we had to shake out our coats to give the cockroaches a chance to run out before we put them on. The whole place was a roach motel. Of course, we never talked about that in our exposes of everybody else.

At my first radio job, we all used the same coffee mugs and stirred the stuff with the extra-soft newsroom editing pencils. That explained all the concentric circles on the bottom of the mugs.

I'm glad they found some germs on a cruise ship. Now, in the interest of fairness, I think the Coast Guard and CDC should do a surprise inspection of the "Today" studios and see what they turn up.

Fair enough, folks?

JDee, thanks ... I couldn't tell. But good to know. They actually gave the ship pretty high marks since there are, basically, germs everywhere.

HeyAbbott, no. That's not what the piece was about. The Today Show is doing a thing all week on germs. They're testing out different places. So they weren't discussing the virus per se on cruiselines or anywhere else..

Thanks Heather,

I always had a blind faith I guess in the cruiselines would keep these hot tubs safe. Kinda ruins our crusing for my DH now, he loves the hot tub, never goes underwater, just feels good on his bad back. Are there any cabins with hot tubs in them ???? or is that just the penthouse suites ????

Ziggy: On the Vista class, whrilpool tubs are in the SS cats and above. On the other class (less Prisendam), they start with the verandah suites BC & above. The Verandah suite not to be mistaken for a Deluxe Verandah Suite (S Cat)....

Had an A cat last year on Zaandam and it was great.....providing your DW does not use any bubble baths......

Happy cruising....

The problem with cruise ships is the number of people in a small area-- pretty much period. You're sharing EVERYTHING. the pool, the bathroom, the silverware, the linens, the tongs at the buffet (do you wash you hands between when you touch those tongs and eat), the list goes on.

Although the stuff you have at home is likely similar to many of the things on a cruise, its the one sick person and the hundreds not practicing hygene that make it much much worse. Coliform and E Coli afterall are common-- hundreds of people caching something from them simultaneously and getting very ill is not.

Each and every cruise line, as well as this web site have warning specifically on this subject, so why is everyone surprised. These things are very well known. These problems exist in each and every swimming pool and hot tub. Is this really the first time you guys have heard this? Sheesh some of you have handfuls of cruises under your belt. I thought about this for hours before I booked my 1st cruise. Just be smart.

Do the ships have showers near the pools and hot tubs?

I would assume that bathrooms are near all or most dining areas yes?

Dude

In speaking with a doctor from Johns Hopkins University Medical School about the virus and cruise ships, he said that 10% of all passengers on cruise ships will get the virus. The buffet is as bad as the hot tub when it comes to germs. So many people being so near food and utensils as well as employees that it's a great way to transfer the virus.

I agree with tomc regarding working in a 'roach motel'.

My ex-job, was a fairly clean place.

Until we hired a bunch of new guys. I encountered one guy who didn't wash his hands after using the bathroom. Saddest thing ... he WORKED IN THE SAME ROOM WITH ME!

I'm glad I only caught walking pnuemonia after being in the same space as that pig. I mean, I got real sick after a while.

But my boss forced me to come in, when the only thing I could do was whisper my responses ...

After that, I avoided touching any phones,keypads,pens ... you name it... after 'IT' used them. What's the fu--ing trouble with washing your hands after using the toilet??

The only bad thing I ever caught on board was something close to the common cold. A few days of having a stuffy nose, sinus headaches, scratchy throat, etc.

Only had those symptoms 3 times on a cruise, my Oosterdam cruise included. It kind of makes you wonder how, and where this other evil Noro comes from....

Been on a plane from EWR to San Diego last week...

might have picked up a few sniffles, no surprise.

Felt funny a few days on the ship, but it was touch and go.

I think the "O" was cleaner than many other public places we went thru. And you could eat off the floor in my cabin!

It has to do with personal hygiene .... I witnessed the good and bad, and the 'bad' are making every body else sick.

Despite what the Johns Hopkins' might have told HeyAbbott, this is only a report of germs taken from a specific cruiseship during a specific week. They swabbed every possible area on that ship during all different times of the day. They carefully labelled every swab with time, date and location. And in their study the MOST bacteria(EColi and equally upsetting bacteria) was found in the hot tubs.

I'm sure all cruiselines do their very best to keep these as clean as possible, but the report said that given the temperature of the water in the tubs and the number of people using them (and I don't want to be disparaging beyond that:( ), it's almost impossible to keep this bacteria from growing there.

Again, this is only one report on one cruiseship in one week. Another ship, another week, who knows? But they actually had video of the bacteria found there as compared to other areas of the ship (including the Lido, etc.) and there could be no debate about the findings.

use the paper towel you just dried your hands with to open the door to the restroom to leave.

This is something I always try to put into practice. The only thing is, sometimes there's not a trash can near the door to throw your towel in. Since everyone knows girls head to the bathroom in pairs :rolleyes:, our group has a buddy system" in place when this happens. The first person opens the door with her paper towel, holds the door open with her foot, then hands her towel to the next girl, who throws her towel and the door holders' away.

Otherwise, I guess you just hold on to the towel until you can find a trash can, or open the door then try to see if you can race to the trash can and back before the door closes. [giggle];)

I know a lot of people who don't eat at buffets because of the germ factor. I just try not to think about it and stuff myself anyway.

I guess this would apply to any public hot tub. I was watching the Today Show and heard them talk about the piece. I decided to turn it off. I didn't want to freak myself out before my cruise in March. I am glad to hear that for the most part the ship was very clean. Not sure what to do about enjoying the pool and hot tub. My daughters will be enjoying the new teen oasis on the Zaandam, how do I keep them out of a pool with a waterfall in the Caribbean. I am sure the water we will be snorkling in is not germ free. Hopefully, we will have strong immune systems. I guess I better pack the Imodium.

Despite what the Johns Hopkins' might have told HeyAbbott, this is only a report of germs taken from a specific cruiseship during a specific week. They swabbed every possible area on that ship during all different times of the day. They carefully labelled every swab with time, date and location. And in their study the MOST bacteria(EColi and equally upsetting bacteria) was found in the hot tubs.

I'm sure all cruiselines do their very best to keep these as clean as possible, but the report said that given the temperature of the water in the tubs and the number of people using them (and I don't want to be disparaging beyond that:( ), it's almost impossible to keep this bacteria from growing there.

Again, this is only one report on one cruiseship in one week. Another ship, another week, who knows? But they actually had video of the bacteria found there as compared to other areas of the ship (including the Lido, etc.) and there could be no debate about the findings.

Anyone on the Westerdam 3/13 can ask the doctors on board, there will be a medical education cruise. Topics to include medical considerations when traveling.

You need to watch the video. The first part was doing the Today show office. They found desk tops with 10x more bugs than the toilet seat. The worst were elevator buttons, mouse, telephone. Even had e-coli. By the time the show finished, they were afraid to touch each other. From what I saw, they said the ship came out pretty good compared to some of their other tests.

Archived