Wonder when we will know the result of the toxic red sludge in Hungary?

ann1bell

heartbreaking to see these people's lives change so drastically. Just devastating. And, if it continues to flow into the Danube, it will impact even more lives.

Latest article I read today stated "it should reach the Danube by this weekend or early next week."

This says it is already there: http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-world/hungary-toxic-sludge-spill-reaches-danube-20101007-169ov.html

This is truly awful and these people will apparently never be able to return to their homes.

I didn't know that the people would not be able to return to their homes. :(

All I can think about is how people are probably going to start getting sick. Now that they have breathed it all in, walked in it, etc.....

Are they going to be able to grow things on the land?

Has EVERYTHING been contaminated? :(

Is this area going to become one GIANT "Love Canal"??? :(

It is just SO AWFULL!!!

One river has been destyoyed and the Danube now has this gunk pouring into it. Even though the news says that the toxicity level has dropped, you KNOW that IT WILL impact ALL the living creatures in the river in some way. :(

I had NO IDEA that companies could have/did have, massive reservoirs of toxic sludge.

Actually, I find it VERY disturbing and SHOCKING.....!!! :(

It's another sad fact about Humans. What we do to this planet all to make a buck.

Sometimes technology has tragic, adverse side affects. :(

We are booked on AMAWaterways for Oct 13 to go from Istanbul to Budapest. I am very concerned about the wisdom in exposing ourselves to this level of contamination. The AMA representative has told us that at this point they are not planning to make any changes and that they anticipate there won't be a problem. Not surprised at this response, but we will be monitoring the situation very closely in the coming days and perhaps will have to make a difficult decision.

We are booked on AMAWaterways for Oct 13 to go from Istanbul to Budapest. I am very concerned about the wisdom in exposing ourselves to this level of contamination. The AMA representative has told us that at this point they are not planning to make any changes and that they anticipate there won't be a problem. Not surprised at this response, but we will be monitoring the situation very closely in the coming days and perhaps will have to make a difficult decision.

might want to dust off your trip insurance policy and see what it says in reference to these kinds of events.... or call your agent to see if you have any options at this point.

We are Oct 21 from Budapest to Prague. I've been trying to find a map to show where the Mosoni River joins the Danube, From what I can see, we will go right through it. Does anybody know?

I have been so much looking forward to this cruise, as you all know....I do have lung problems...I have a nebulizer and medicine, but I am just very worried if we go through this stuff and have to breathe it. On a cruise to the Caribbean the humidity got to me so bad that I ended up in the ship's hospital on steroid IVs...with a port left in my arm. I've been in the hospital after picking up an infection on an airplane....I am just getting worried. Obviously nobody is going to know the long term effects of anything like this.

Avalon has said that nothing has changed, the itinerary is going on as scheduled, and it is an environmental disaster but nothing to affect the cruises.

I'm going to give it a few days and look at the news reports to see what happens...then perhaps call my pulmonologist.

Steamboats, the coverage here in the US is sketchy....I'm sure where you are it is much better. Any insight?

Thanks...

Here is the latest response from Avalon:

Avalon Waterways At this time, the environmental incident in Hungary is not affecting the operation of any of our vacations. Based on our itineraries our travelers will not come into contact with the sludge. We remain in constant contact with our operations team on-site to monitor the situation and the clean-up efforts, and at present do not have the need to alter our Danube River sailings or any land itineraries.

I am hoping for the best, as we booked this way back in Sep of 09 for our 30th wedding anniversary, but I also don't want to sacrifice my health. I would love to go.

to Stretchcruz,

I also have breathing problems and had to leave the Reichsburg Castle on our Rhine/Moselle river cruise in July due to the heatwave and the dust in the Castle. I suggest that you call your Pulmonologist tomorrow and ask his opinion. If the sludge gets closer to the Danube and you were supposed to visit any of the towns nearby, I personally would cancel my trip there. They said that when the sludge dries, it would be very very toxic. Your health is more important than this trip even if it's your anniversary. I cancelled our trip to China years ago when the bird flu started and have never regreted my decision. I later went there when things returned to normal.

Sheila

According to our news reports it´s the Raab river which is joining the Danube river upriver of Budapest (quite a bit upriver). They made a quick acid-base test there and it was so thinned that it was 9 instead of 8 (7 is neutral). You couldn´t see the red color anymore (even closer to the area where the dam broke). The main problem is the toxic mud right at the village where it happened. This village is pretty far away from the Danube river and any river cruise stop. If that mud is drying out the dust blown up by the wind can be extremely toxic. The main toxic ingredient is lead as far as I´ve heard.

steamboats

I spoke with an AMA representative last night and she said that they are conducting hourly checks with various authorities in the region. At this point they don't plan to make any changes to the schedule. My TA is also going to make some calls today to the other cruise lines and see if they are going to do anything different.

We have had this trip booked since last year and will hate to cancel, but I am not willing to risk my health if the situation warrants that. Fingers crossed that they will be able to contain this.

Called Vantage today to see if they had made made in changes in their itineraries. The rep said they had not. (Even the Budapest to Burcharest)

Our Christmas Markets tour in December start in the Czech Republic and ends in Budapest.

I'm still keeping any eye on the BBC reports.

I just can't believe it may rupture again. What a nightmare this all is. They said yesterday that the Danube seemed to be OK, but if the reservoir breaks again and more flows in, we'll just have to see what happens. All of those poor villagers....I just can't imagine losing everything I own and are familiar with just like that...and have to build a new life somewhere else.

I've started to pack, but we'll see what happens and hope for the best.

I've just returned from Budapest yesterday. I was on a Grand Circle River cruise from Linz to Budapest. At the time I left they were not expecting any problems in the vicinity of Budapest. They were fighting the sludge with chemicals and believed they could get it under control. No one in the Budapest area seemed concerned; but of course I have no idea what may happen.

My wife & I will be going on Value World Tours (no name 90 person river boat) for 10 days that will end in Vienna. We will be going near the crisis areas on the way to Vienna. I need some real input from some of you. I have seen the A/P videos, and read the news articles. That is not what I want to hear from you.

My wife & I will be going on Value World Tours (no name 90 person river boat) for 10 days that will end in Vienna. We will be going near the crisis areas on the way to Vienna. I need some real input from some of you. I have seen the A/P videos, and read the news articles. That is not what I want to hear from you.

I was in Budapest on Monday. The water was fine. There was no debris, and no smell. I also saw many ducks and swans in the river. Reports about what can happen in the future differ greatly, so I guess there's no real way to know. People in the towns that were hit have gone back to their houses. Some authorities say it is safe. Others say it is definitely not safe.

Also, now that the weather is on the cold side, you will probably be on a boat with closed doors. If you want to be extra safe, you can take along a mask. And during the day, you'll be touring on land.

But I guess no one can give you a guarantee.

Archived