Steak Quality on the Ruby Princess

chrisxmoa

im a huge steak snob from NYC. i was wondering if the steaks on the ships specialty restaurant can compare to a good steak house in nyc.

We find the Crown Grill steaks on the Ruby to be outstanding.

We have eaten there many times on 5 cruises on the Ruby. ;)

I am one of the biggest Princess cheerleaders you'll find (just look at my past and future cruise list below), and the Ruby is my favorite ship in the fleet. But, with all due respect to the others who have posted, if you are as serious a "steak snob" as you say, I'm afraid you may be disappointed in the Crown Grill. I say that because I'm a "moderate steak snob" ;) and I have found the Crown Grill on all ships merely adequate at best, and disappointing on more than a few occasions. Unfortunately, that includes the Ruby.

That is not to say I have not enjoyed my meals there, but usually it is because of the company and the atmosphere (which IS quite nice) more than the food or the less than stellar service (and I am NOT normally a huge "service snob", but some of our worst service aboard ship has been in the Crown Grill and Sterling Steakhouse.)

And please don't jump all over me, folks. It's just my personal opinion/experience, and I'm just trying to answer the OP's question.

Now Sabatini's, on the other hand, is an outstanding experience, in my humble opinion.

Hope you have a great cruise!

You won't find anything like Gallagers (sp) in NYC. I don't like the steaks on Princess. Not even the CG. We have allways found that the service is not good, and we have eaten there 5 times, the most recent being 2 months ago. We won't do that again.

We have great beef where I live (Nebraska). I consider Crown Grill a decent steak. We can get better back home obviously but I wouldn't call it bad and we frequently go as we want a break from the dining room. I do think some of the beef dishes in the dining room are not very good such as the steak.

I have never been to a Gallagers or Ruth's Chris steakhouse but I am guessing a lot of their steak comes from Nebraska as a lot of prime beef comes from nearby.

im a huge steak snob from NYC. i was wondering if the steaks on the ships specialty restaurant can compare to a good steak house in nyc.

NO! We are familiar with NYC steakhouses and the cruise lines are not going to give you beef in that class. On the other hand, we can cruise for several days for the cost of a dinner in some of the better NYC steakhouses :) When Peter Lugar opens a branch on a cruise ship than I will retract my words.

Hank

I am one of the biggest Princess cheerleaders you'll find (just look at my past and future cruise list below), and the Ruby is my favorite ship in the fleet. But, with all due respect to the others who have posted, if you are as serious a "steak snob" as you say, I'm afraid you may be disappointed in the Crown Grill. I say that because I'm a "moderate steak snob" ;) and I have found the Crown Grill on all ships merely adequate at best, and disappointing on more than a few occasions. Unfortunately, that includes the Ruby.

I'd have to agree with you here, I've dined in the Crown Grill on the Ruby twice and haven't been overwhelmed either time. The first time the steak was a very poor cut and I had to send it back for a replacement. The second time it took three times for the chef to hit a mid-well steak (first was mid-rare, second was over-well). The food is good, but if you're spoiled with pasture raised, dry-aged beef from a good land-based steakhouse (or prepared at home in my case), you may also be slightly underwhelmed. That being said, we still eat in the specialty steakhouses once per cruise just for the ambience (well, not too much ambience in the ones still housed in the Horizon Court Buffet) and change of venue.

I think the steak medallions served anytime in the MDR are excellent and always cooked the way you order them. I tried the New York Strip once and it was very dry, maybe it has improved.

We have not tried the Crown Grill, just can't eat that much anymore. Tried Sabatinis once and was not impressed at all.

However I like to grill my own at home and have never found any restaurant doing a better job than I can do.

thank you all for your responses ! i think im going to stay away from the steak house on board. i was actually expecting the steak house to be on the same caliber as peter lugars, mortons or old homestead. any less, and i'd be sorely disapointed.

Archived