newcatintown

e-cigs... yes, no, otherwise?  

467 members have voted

1. 1. e-cigs... yes, no, otherwise?

• Yes, allow e-cigs in all venues
    • No, keep them in 'smoking' areas only
    • Other?

We had a big house/pool party today for precruise fun

only 2 gals from my group are smokers...and they had to go out front and smoke away from the house/pool etc

I told them about the e-cigs....

and am sending them and the few other people I know who still smoke the

info to the "forum"

They are really really interested, I have even offered to go to the mall with them for "support" and maybe they can get a kit before they cruise

One of them really really needs to stop...she was on our other cruise and coughs and gets out of breath and has so many problems. She JUST had a bunch of tests, docs say she has some "polyps" in her lungs they are "watching", very near her heart, bad place!

this could be a godsend

I read here that the "mall" ones are not as good but maybe a starter kit and then they can figure it out from there??

Sawgrass Mills Mall has "Smoking Everywhere" Kiosks and ? some other I think? The salespeople there are "vaping" away!!

We cruise in 17 days

It's a good place to start and get a hands on experience but the ones at the mall are a bit pricey.

Thank you. I have a few older friends as well, that have found it REALLY difficult...they've been smoking for 50+ years, when it was considered "healthy". I've been trying to turn them onto the e-cig, because their doctor just told them to use patches and "suck on a carrot". :(

Don't see how a carrot would work. You've got to have something with a hole in it to actually get air (or something) into your mouth. I tried the patches. The nicotine in them made red welps on my skin. You're supposed to change the patch out daily and put it in a different place. I had all these big red circles with bumps. It wasn't pretty. And, they itched like crazy.

To be honest, I think Chantix is the BEST thing out there. I quit for 6 months (only used the Chantix for 2-3 months). I never had withdrawals. I only went back to smoking just because I wanted to. I wasn't craving it. After my cruise (next week), I'm going to buy my Chantix. Will also start out with a nicotrol inhaler, too. Already have the prescription from my doctor. But, it will be after the cruise. There is no way I can quit on this cruise, especially when my room mate smokes. And, if you drink, you have to have a cigarette. I know.....it's weird.

We had a big house/pool party today for precruise fun

only 2 gals from my group are smokers...and they had to go out front and smoke away from the house/pool etc

I told them about the e-cigs....

and am sending them and the few other people I know who still smoke the

info to the "forum"

They are really really interested, I have even offered to go to the mall with them for "support" and maybe they can get a kit before they cruise

One of them really really needs to stop...she was on our other cruise and coughs and gets out of breath and has so many problems. She JUST had a bunch of tests, docs say she has some "polyps" in her lungs they are "watching", very near her heart, bad place!

this could be a godsend

I read here that the "mall" ones are not as good but maybe a starter kit and then they can figure it out from there??

Sawgrass Mills Mall has "Smoking Everywhere" Kiosks and ? some other I think? The salespeople there are "vaping" away!!

We cruise in 17 days

You are a good friend. I don't know about the mall things, seen them and walked by. Check out the links provided on this thread, there is more information than you can digest in one sitting. There is a learning curve, but I don't see it as daunting.

I've smoked for many years, and have tried almost everything out there to quit. This is the first one that seems like it might actually work, and is the first time I'm excited to, if not quitting, at least cutting back in a big way.

Don't see how a carrot would work. You've got to have something with a hole in it to actually get air (or something) into your mouth. I tried the patches. The nicotine in them made red welps on my skin. You're supposed to change the patch out daily and put it in a different place. I had all these big red circles with bumps. It wasn't pretty. And, they itched like crazy.

To be honest, I think Chantix is the BEST thing out there. I quit for 6 months (only used the Chantix for 2-3 months). I never had withdrawals. I only went back to smoking just because I wanted to. I wasn't craving it. After my cruise (next week), I'm going to buy my Chantix. Will also start out with a nicotrol inhaler, too. Already have the prescription from my doctor. But, it will be after the cruise. There is no way I can quit on this cruise, especially when my room mate smokes. And, if you drink, you have to have a cigarette. I know.....it's weird.

Chantix scares me, really, it does. Those I know that have used it have had the weird dreams, and suicidal thoughts. I'd rather smoke.

Whoa, wait a minute.... Your anti e-cig, and now you're pro????:confused::eek:

Which way is it?

??

I never said I was anti-e-cig. I said until a study is released that gives a definite on the amount of nicotine released from the vapor, I would prefer to not have it used in my immediate vicinity. The lungs aren't able to clear the nicotine from a gas in an "analog" cigarette, and some is expelled with the smoke. The vapor in an e-cig is also in gas form, and I would expect it to be the same...that the lungs can't absorb 100% of the nicotine.

I think e-cigs are a great tool..people who wish to smoke can do so around those who dislike the smoke aspect...as well as the smell. People who wish to quit have been using them successfully to do so.

I'm educated on the uses, I have friends that use them. But I've also looked pretty extensively...there's just no research on them. I see a couple of manufacturers have hired a doctor to say they are "healthy" but nothing about what's expelled. But I would like to see a peer-reviewed scientific study.

Chantix scares me, really, it does. Those I know that have used it have had the weird dreams, and suicidal thoughts. I'd rather smoke.

Did they really have suicidal thoughts? I've heard that is one of the warnings, but I haven't met anyone that had those, altho I haven't talked to a lot of people that used it. The ones that I know that used it had no problem and they quit smoking. It's been a few years since I used it, but I never had those thoughts and don't recall weird dreams, but maybe I forgot about them.

If I were to ever have a suicidal thought, I'd definitely stop!!

We cruise in 17 days

honestly, I don't recommend people get the smoking everywhere kits at all.

go to ivape dot net the guy that runs the place can hook you up really good prices, and he has some great flavors. (it's not me btw) there is also a chat room on that site w/ lots of helpful people (i'm dazeftw usually)

the smoking everywhere kits, are really pretty bad from what i understand. starting w/ a 510 or an ego kit is the way to go, better flavors, and easier to quit using those.

daze

??

I never said I was anti-e-cig. I said until a study is released that gives a definite on the amount of nicotine released from the vapor, I would prefer to not have it used in my immediate vicinity. The lungs aren't able to clear the nicotine from a gas in an "analog" cigarette, and some is expelled with the smoke. The vapor in an e-cig is also in gas form, and I would expect it to be the same...that the lungs can't absorb 100% of the nicotine.

I think e-cigs are a great tool..people who wish to smoke can do so around those who dislike the smoke aspect...as well as the smell. People who wish to quit have been using them successfully to do so.

I'm educated on the uses, I have friends that use them. But I've also looked pretty extensively...there's just no research on them. I see a couple of manufacturers have hired a doctor to say they are "healthy" but nothing about what's expelled. But I would like to see a peer-reviewed scientific study.

You, yourself, made it pretty clear you were 'anti' with you don't want to be anywhere near someone smoking, oh, wait, it's not smoking, vaping around you.

My peers vote for e-cigs.

I imagine it would be nearly impossible to quit while being around someone that smokes all the time.

It's not weird, I thought it was the law! :) If you are drinking, especially in a karaoke bar, you really do have to smoke.

Once upon a time I was an occasional smoker. (while drinking) And even in the more recent past, I've found an unfiltered clove cigarette to be the only thing that works when you've got a 48 hour migraine.

But that was before diminished lung capacity and muscular dystrophy! And trying to get pregnant. :)

You, yourself, made it pretty clear you were 'anti' with you don't want to be anywhere near someone smoking, oh, wait, it's not smoking, vaping around you.

My peers vote for e-cigs.

Wow, just because I'd prefer it not done next to me, doesn't mean I'm against it.

I'd prefer people don't drink and drive, but it doesn't make me anti-alcohol. :p

Wow, just because I'd prefer it not done next to me, doesn't mean I'm against it.

I'd prefer people don't drink and drive, but it doesn't make me anti-alcohol. :p

And I'd prefer people to be more accepting of someone's lifestyle change for the better. As stated earlier, don't sit next to me.

I imagine it would be nearly impossible to quit while being around someone that smokes all the time.

It's not weird, I thought it was the law! :) If you are drinking, especially in a karaoke bar, you really do have to smoke.

Once upon a time I was an occasional smoker. (while drinking) And even in the more recent past, I've found an unfiltered clove cigarette to be the only thing that works when you've got a 48 hour migraine.

But that was before diminished lung capacity and muscular dystrophy! And trying to get pregnant. :)

Never heard of a clove cigarette. Where do you get those? Are the ingredients in those bad for you? Glad you quit when you did. I've been smoking foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Have you actually been next to a person that puffed on an e-cig? It looks like a little bit of steam that comes out of your mouth....it's nothing compared to the smoke you exhale from a real cig.

When there's independent peer-reviewed studies done that will emphatically state that nicotine isn't exhaled from it...I'll be the first one to welcome you to sit next to me and vape away.

But the fact is, no one knows. No one knows how much nicotine is emitted from your e-cig. And your addiction doesn't trump my right to not be exposed to a chemical that has been proven harmful. Do you ever leave your house? I bet when you do you wear a respirator with 2 HEPA filters. Do you drink soda, tea, coffee, fruit drinks or alcoholic drinks? These all have chemicals in them that have been proven to be harmful.....just sayin.

I'm not going to walk up to someone using their e-cig and than ask them to leave. But I'd have a problem with someone using it in the dining room until it's been proven to not emit nicotine.

Here's what I don't understand...WHY would you take the risk? Next to a pregnant person? Next to a person with compromised lung capacity or an elderly person? WHY would you just believe yourself right, instead of wanting to prove yourself right...why not just err on the side of caution until these devices have been better studied.

Since this device releases NO smoke, then it wouldnt be harmful at all to smoke it around someone with compromised lung capacity. Same with the pregnant person. I seriously doubt their baby will come out addicted to nicotine, reaching for the Camels, because someone "vaped" in the same room with them

Did they really have suicidal thoughts? I've heard that is one of the warnings, but I haven't met anyone that had those, altho I haven't talked to a lot of people that used it. The ones that I know that used it had no problem and they quit smoking. It's been a few years since I used it, but I never had those thoughts and don't recall weird dreams, but maybe I forgot about them.

If I were to ever have a suicidal thought, I'd definitely stop!!

Yes, I've heard first hand. Not all, but enough for me to be concerned. I don't take any drugs, for anything (ok, aspirin), and that is a side effect I do not want.

I will add, that once off the drug and smoking, the thoughts disappeared.

Never heard of a clove cigarette. Where do you get those? Are the ingredients in those bad for you? Glad you quit when you did. I've been smoking foreverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Have you actually been next to a person that puffed on an e-cig? It looks like a little bit of steam that comes out of your mouth....it's nothing compared to the smoke you exhale from a real cig.

I always used djarum clove cigarettes. They used to sell unfiltered back in the nineties but had to stop because of US law. You can still cut the filter off the newer ones and get basically the same effect. They used to have flavors, like vanilla and cherry, but those also became illegal. You can get the flavors in their cigars, however.

My father always used to roll his own tobacco and he would add ground clove and get a similar effect. It makes your lips and tongue tingle so I have to imagine it isn't good for you, lol.

I actually do have two friends who use the e-cig. I had never even heard of them until I saw them use it, and read about it here as well. I would agree, the vapor seems to dissipate quickly. But my girlfriend didn't have an issue when I was pregnant, and I asked her to do it on my porch. She agreed...why risk it? I probably wouldn't send her outside if it was cold or something like that...just into another room.

Since this device releases NO smoke, then it wouldnt be harmful at all to smoke it around someone with compromised lung capacity. Same with the pregnant person. I seriously doubt their baby will come out addicted to nicotine, reaching for the Camels, because someone "vaped" in the same room with them

You forgot about all the hormones that they have in milk.

I guess until people educate them selves, people will be ignorant. When asked why I smoked people didn't like the idea that I enjoyed. People always pushed their beliefs on me. You shouldn't do this and you shouldn't do that. Do you know what you are doing to your body. Yup I knew every time I took a drag from a smoke. But I enjoyed it, in my car, outside in the cold in -20 weather. I smoked end of story.

Now I vape and have not had a cig. I don't care if it replaces cig to have something in my hand or something in my mouth. I enjoy it. I also enjoy starting to smell again. Tasting food, blowing my nose and it not be full of gunk.

I had to quit smoking because I want to, Not because of any one else. I enjoy the benefits ive found. Yes I have traded vices but you know what I don't care. I am happy

I guess until people educate them selves, people will be ignorant. When asked why I smoked people didn't like the idea that I enjoyed. People always pushed their beliefs on me. You shouldn't do this and you shouldn't do that. Do you know what you are doing to your body. Yup I knew every time I took a drag from a smoke. But I enjoyed it, in my car, outside in the cold in -20 weather. I smoked end of story.

Now I vape and have not had a cig. I don't care if it replaces cig to have something in my hand or something in my mouth. I enjoy it. I also enjoy starting to smell again. Tasting food, blowing my nose and it not be full of gunk.

I had to quit smoking because I want to, Not because of any one else. I enjoy the benefits ive found. Yes I have traded vices but you know what I don't care. I am happy

I found vaping as a way to quit or cut down on smoking. so far so good win win...

Given the opportunity, people will feel free to question any choice you make. Vacation destionation, eat meat or no, eat veggies or no (and I'm keeping this benign).

I try to be accepting of peoples choices, whether they be mine or not. I am not the be all/end all, and wouldn't want to be. On the rare occassion (another night of crappy spelling) I have a real problem, I don't make a scene. It is really easy to remove oneself and move on.

I don't like confrontation, and have yet to find a situation that I can't remove myself from when warrented. We can all get along if we try. Yes, my name is Pollyanna!!

Archived