poll... e-cigs & where they should be allowed

newcatintown

e-cigs... yes, no, otherwise?  

467 members have voted

1. 1. e-cigs... yes, no, otherwise?

• Yes, allow e-cigs in all venues
    • No, keep them in 'smoking' areas only
    • Other?

^^^^I think resistance to the e-cigs is largely a function of lack of knowledge about them. I had never heard of these things until I read a thread about them on CC recently. If I saw one before I read about it, and saw "vapor," I might well have objected if the person was in a non smoking venue. Now that I have become a little more educated about them, I don't have a problem with them. I think the majority of nonsmokers will also follow, but they just need the information. E-cigs users will need to be a little patient until the general public gets the proper information about them.

Bare with me here...

I smoke. A couple of puffs with the e-cigs in the MDR or shows would not even be noticed. No smoke, no smell, no residue. You would have to be focused on me to even notice.

And I disagree on the 'not a good example for kids'. It is a good example to show tolerance for crap that just doen't matter. What is being done wrong? People being tolerant?

Former smoker here! Cigarettes gave me up in 1994 due to a major operation and made me give it all up. I WOULD STILL KILL FOR A CIGARETTE THOUGH! I have not tried the E-Cigs but if they can make you give up the real stuff, go for it and since they don't bother the environment, go for it ANYWHERE!

I might just go for those someday, especially if they help me lose the weight I cannot keep off since I quit...

E-cigarette has the word "cigarette" in it, which turns people off. If it had another name, I bet it wouldn't be a problem. What would you think if I pulled out a nicotrol inhaler in the MDR?

We regular users, don't refer to them as E-cigs. We prefer the term 'Personal vaporisers', or PVs. ;)

Here's mine. Probably the best on the market. It's called the 'Screwdriver' or SD, due to it's shape. It also has the benefit, of not looking like a ciggie.

eumte1.jpg

My partner & I, will be using ours on future cruises. :)

Oh, and pipe smokers are also catered for.

aphyf.jpg

The MDR and the buffet areas are good examples of places they shouldn't be allowed.

Why?????????

Because those areas are for eating and nothing else!

Now is that simple enough?

:eek:

No the Dining room and buffet are for eating a meal.

The lounges, clubs and bars are for enjoying a good drink, socializing.

Your cabin, balcony, Lido pool decks are for relaxing.

I could care less if you used an E-cigg in the Dining room.

But I don't feel the need to do it.

OMG.....

You may only be seeing vapor, but there is a definate odor to the vapor. At times it reminds me of the smell of pipe smoke. There aren't that many people using the e-cigs yet, but once they become more popular I can see a potential problem for people with sensativities/allergies to smell. So I wouldn't mind them in some of the current non smoking area, but perhaps not at dinner and only on the upper decks of the main auditorium.

So, if we want to order cheesecake or melting cake for dessert, should we not do it because someone at or near our table is on a diet and we will be tempting them?

Not trying to be mean here, but, what's this world coming to? It seems you can't do or say anything anymore without offending someone. I'm glad you're using the e-cig, congrats!

Good point. E-cigs are new as you can see reading this thread. I'm just saying some of us may feel bad vaping in front of somebody getting antsy for a smoke. Some of us won't. I won't make a dining room rule based on this, like you said with the cheesecake. But yes you are right.

We regular users, don't refer to them as E-cigs. We prefer the term 'Personal vaporisers', or PVs. ;)

Here's mine. Probably the best on the market. It's called the 'Screwdriver' or SD, due to it's shape. It also has the benefit, of not looking like a ciggie.

eumte1.jpg

My partner & I, will be using ours on future cruises. :)

Oh, and pipe smokers are also catered for.

aphyf.jpg

You forgot the e-cigar. My son wants to get the pipe for his nonsmoking larping event. This would be perfect for his costume.

You may only be seeing vapor, but there is a definate odor to the vapor. At times it reminds me of the smell of pipe smoke. There aren't that many people using the e-cigs yet, but once they become more popular I can see a potential problem for people with sensativities/allergies to smell. So I wouldn't mind them in some of the current non smoking area, but perhaps not at dinner and only on the upper decks of the main auditorium.

Allergies to a smell?:confused:

I've not been around any of these e-sigs. For those who have, does this outcome seem likely?

I exhaled menthol vapor at my wife with her permission and al she smelled was my breath.

Now, many of the flavored e-juices available are made with food flavors and some of those flavors exude a fragrance.

I am in fact vaping a Watermelon/Raspberry e-juice, I personally made and it smells and tastes wonderful. but the vapor does not have a odor or smell.

Again part of the educating process.. Don't make decisions until you know the facts.

I exhaled menthol vapor at my wife with her permission and al she smelled was my breath.

Now, many of the flavored e-juices available are made with food flavors and some of those flavors exude a fragrance.

I am in fact vaping a Watermelon/Raspberry e-juice, I personally made and it smells and tastes wonderful. but the vapor does not have a odor or smell.

Again part of the educating process.. Don't make decisions until you know the facts.

I bit the bullet and ordered the 510 and some liquid. There is so much to read on them that at this point I need one in my hand to get a better handle on it. From what I've read about the cost, it will be cheaper than smoking (but cigarettes are pretty darn cheap here), but that's not why I'm doing it.

When I told my mother, she commented that she had heard pretty bad things about them, but couldn't recount what they were :eek::p:rolleyes: She's been after me for years to quite, so I let her pick the color for me - I'm going PINK:D

I bit the bullet and ordered the 510 and some liquid. There is so much to read on them that at this point I need one in my hand to get a better handle on it. From what I've read about the cost, it will be cheaper than smoking (but cigarettes are pretty darn cheap here), but that's not why I'm doing it.

When I told my mother, she commented that she had heard pretty bad things about them, but couldn't recount what they were :eek::p:rolleyes: She's been after me for years to quite, so I let her pick the color for me - I'm going PINK:D

If you want to explain it in layman's terms, tell her its like an asthma inhaler except nic & flavoring are added. The base is your choice of vegetable based, or I can't remember the exact name polyglycerin? Those that are making their own are buying that stuff from some of the food stores and drugstores.

If you want to explain it in layman's terms, tell her its like an asthma inhaler except nic & flavoring are added. The base is your choice of vegetable based, or I can't remember the exact name polyglycerin? Those that are making their own are buying that stuff from some of the food stores and drugstores.

I didn't go into the detail you suggest, but did ask her if would rather me 'vap' with some nicotine, or continue to smoke with the gazillion other additives. That did the trick. I'm really looking forward to this...

I didn't go into the detail you suggest, but did ask her if would rather me 'vap' with some nicotine, or continue to smoke with the gazillion other additives. That did the trick. I'm really looking forward to this...

You should be happy with the 510. I started with the 401 and moved right into the 510, I'm still using that with the EGO USB battery, the parts interchange. Just make sure you keep lots of juice handy. I screwed up on my order last week, only got my daughters mint, PO closed tomorrow, so either Tuesday or Wednesday for me. Keep an eye on the forums, for tips, new items, sales, etc.

The e-juice is comprised of nicotine, polypropylene glycol, and/or vegetable glycerin and flavorings.

It can be ordered or made to specific nicotine levels similar to the patches.

My personal recommendation is for new users to stick to prepackaged cartomizers or prepackaged juices. Do not try to make your own until you educate yourself more.

Have been a non-smoker now for 8 weeks with using a e-cig! Am very glad I bought. Have stepped down from the regular to light. Hopefully can make the next step to ultra-light.

Of course I voted use them anywhere but really, I agree with not in the main dining room. Have not smoked where we've eaten for so long, even when I did smoke, that I just don't think it's necessary there.

And to the person who says there's a smell - maybe it was what they were using. But there is absolutely no smell to mine. If there were, my 16year old anti-smoking n#zi daughter would have a fit when I 'vape' in her presence and in the house!

I've been smoking for 35 yrs. After reserch and a few weeks I got a good e-cigg monday. a few analogs[real ciggs] a day tues,wed. 1 analog thurs fri. sat and today. damm good thing IMHO. I also find its not like a ten min. drag after drag like an analog. More like one drag every ten min. so if i'm anywhere one drag put it in my pocket and ten min.. later another drag. much different then smoking a analog.

I've been smoking for 35 yrs. After reserch and a few weeks I got a good e-cigg monday. a few analogs[real ciggs] a day tues,wed. 1 analog thurs fri. sat and today. damm good thing IMHO. I also find its not like a ten min. drag after drag like an analog. More like one drag every ten min. so if i'm anywhere one drag put it in my pocket and ten min.. later another drag. much different then smoking a analog.

My thoughts exactly on the drag!! A drag or two and I'll be done for a while.

Sammee, I order 5 15ml liquids. That should hold me for a while!

:eek::eek::eek:OMG:eek::eek::eek:

We've been the gammit of complaints of our smoking making people sick, having allergies to smoke (doubt it), the odor. Now we can't use a safe vaporizer that produces NO smoke nor odor because some hypochondriac thinks they have a "smell allergy". That person needs to move into a plastic bubble, use no soap, shampoo, deoderant, makeup,cleaning products, and oh, yes, stay away from car emissions getting to the ship and that smokestack on that ship that takes you on your cruise.

Enough is enough. Give us credit for what we are trying to do to please everyone!

My personal recommendation is for new users to stick to prepackaged cartomizers or prepackaged juices. Do not try to make your own until you educate yourself more.

I agree. Having learned that I can make my own doesn't mean I should until I'm further along in the learning curve. It is good to know that it is an option down the road.

The e-juice is comprised of nicotine, polypropylene glycol, and/or vegetable glycerin and flavorings.

It can be ordered or made to specific nicotine levels similar to the patches.

What is polypropylene glycol? Is it harmful?

I would like to know what they taste like. I asked earlier and one of the gals described hers, but she uses the menthol ones. I don't smoke menthol, so wouldn't want to buy a menthol e-cig. What do the regular ones taste like (not the fruity ones)? The one I tried a year ago did not taste like a cigarette and made me ill. I haven't tried one since.

When there's independent peer-reviewed studies done that will emphatically state that nicotine isn't exhaled from it...I'll be the first one to welcome you to sit next to me and vape away.

But the fact is, no one knows. No one knows how much nicotine is emitted from your e-cig. And your addiction doesn't trump my right to not be exposed to a chemical that has been proven harmful.

I'm not going to walk up to someone using their e-cig and than ask them to leave. But I'd have a problem with someone using it in the dining room until it's been proven to not emit nicotine.

Here's what I don't understand...WHY would you take the risk? Next to a pregnant person? Next to a person with compromised lung capacity or an elderly person? WHY would you just believe yourself right, instead of wanting to prove yourself right...why not just err on the side of caution until these devices have been better studied.

When there's independent peer-reviewed studies done that will emphatically state that nicotine isn't exhaled from it...I'll be the first one to welcome you to sit next to me and vape away.

But the fact is, no one knows. No one knows how much nicotine is emitted from your e-cig. And your addiction doesn't trump my right to not be exposed to a chemical that has been proven harmful.

I'm not going to walk up to someone using their e-cig and than ask them to leave. But I'd have a problem with someone using it in the dining room until it's been proven to not emit nicotine.

Here's what I don't understand...WHY would you take the risk? Next to a pregnant person? Next to a person with compromised lung capacity or an elderly person? WHY would you just believe yourself right, instead of wanting to prove yourself right...why not just err on the side of caution until these devices have been better studied.

Being low on juice for mine, I just made three different flavors all with out nicotine. My e-cig till Tues has zero I repeat zero nicotine. So why shouldn't I vape were I want. It has nothing harmful in it. Unless you consider root beer flavoring harmful

Obviously I'm talking about the e-cigs that contain nicotine. An e-cig that doesn't have a nicotine cartridge.....wouldn't expel nicotine! :)

And if someone asks you, you can always tell them that your e-cig is nicotine free.

Just curious...why vape flavors w/o nicotine? Does it just help with that hand to mouth thing when quitting?

So don't sit next to me.

I'm sorry, but the lack of oxygen on your high horse surpasses mine, me smoking and all.

Everything in life is full of risks.

Archived