poll... e-cigs & where they should be allowed

newcatintown

e-cigs... yes, no, otherwise?  

467 members have voted

1. 1. e-cigs... yes, no, otherwise?

• Yes, allow e-cigs in all venues
    • No, keep them in 'smoking' areas only
    • Other?

Given the opportunity, people will feel free to question any choice you make. Vacation destionation, eat meat or no, eat veggies or no (and I'm keeping this benign).

I try to be accepting of peoples choices, whether they be mine or not. I am not the be all/end all, and wouldn't want to be. On the rare occassion (another night of crappy spelling) I have a real problem, I don't make a scene. It is really easy to remove oneself and move on.

I don't like confrontation, and have yet to find a situation that I can't remove myself from when warrented. We can all get along if we try. Yes, my name is Pollyanna!!

It's funny I am a very private person till I get on these darn boards.

Let me tell you root beer with out nic taste sooo good

It's funny I am a very private person till I get on these darn boards.

Let me tell you root beer with out nic taste sooo good

I am also very private, but then no one here knows me :p I sent you a request though this board, in the hopes that you may guide me in my venture. Me likey root beer :D

I quite smoling 1 year ago last May, No pach, no pills, just smoked my last 1 and stop. I had smoked for 48 years. Now with that being said, I think if you have smoking on 1 side of the ship, why don't we have drinking on 1 side of the ship. You don't want your kidds to see someone smoking but it is ok to see grownups, thowing up and staggering around from drinking. Oh ya that makes a lot of sence to me. But what do I know I am only 64 and my Mother and Father both drinked them self to death

I quite smoling 1 year ago last May, No pach, no pills, just smoked my last 1 and stop. I had smoked for 48 years. Now with that being said, I think if you have smoking on 1 side of the ship, why don't we have drinking on 1 side of the ship. You don't want your kidds to see someone smoking but it is ok to see grownups, thowing up and staggering around from drinking. Oh ya that makes a lot of sence to me. But what do I know I am only 64 and my Mother and Father both drinked them self to death

wow. ok.

Did they really have suicidal thoughts? I've heard that is one of the warnings, but I haven't met anyone that had those, altho I haven't talked to a lot of people that used it. The ones that I know that used it had no problem and they quit smoking. It's been a few years since I used it, but I never had those thoughts and don't recall weird dreams, but maybe I forgot about them.

If I were to ever have a suicidal thought, I'd definitely stop!!

There was a local well known musician in my city who went on a rampage one night, trying to beat up his girlfriend. He then went next door and began banging on his neighbor's door. The neighbor shot him through the door and killed him. Much was made of the fact that he had never been violent with his girlfriend ever, and that banging on the neighbor's door was so out of character. It turned out that he had recently begun taking Chantix. That night, he and his girlfriend had been drinking heavily, so the speculation was that Chantix, in combination with the alcohol, contributed to his violent outburst. The family was planning to sue Chantix for lack of warning about the combined effects, but I never heard the outcome of that.

You may only be seeing vapor, but there is a definate odor to the vapor. At times it reminds me of the smell of pipe smoke. There aren't that many people using the e-cigs yet, but once they become more popular I can see a potential problem for people with sensativities/allergies to smell. So I wouldn't mind them in some of the current non smoking area, but perhaps not at dinner and only on the upper decks of the main auditorium.

It depends on what sort of smoke juice is being vaped. I primarily vape no-nic fruity flavored stuff, so mine smells more like a candle, if it has a smell at all.

As for people with sensativities to the smell (as it's not an allergy, as there is no reaction with a protein), would they prefer second-hand smoke instead? Seriously, where does it stop? I get migrains from certain perfumes. You don't see me telling you what scents you can and can't wear, do you? People need to stop making "me problems" into "societal issues".

It depends on what sort of smoke juice is being vaped. I primarily vape no-nic fruity flavored stuff, so mine smells more like a candle, if it has a smell at all.

As for people with sensativities to the smell (as it's not an allergy, as there is no reaction with a protein), would they prefer second-hand smoke instead? Seriously, where does it stop? I get migrains from certain perfumes. You don't see me telling you what scents you can and can't wear, do you? People need to stop making "me problems" into "societal issues".

I concur

Read thru this last nite. Went on line ordered e cig. Thank you momof 4 for standing your ground and sharing the info. I'm 59 this month. In high school I was the one in the back of the mustang screaming "you're killing me". Took up smoking in college. Still smoke. Involved with 2nd round of breast cancer this year. Different cancer, different boob. I have still not had the fortitude to quit. Here's a surprise..the treatments and illness are stressful. What I am sensing from some of these comments is moral superoity. (sp) We haven't ,don't & won't smoke. We are the majority..we have won..we make the rules. But it's all a gray area at this point. Gray areas and change make people uncomfortable..these discussions are proof of that. Health & Happiness to everyone.... Pls imagine a bright pink smile here

I think it's a great alternative. (I don't smoke BTW) Personally I have no problems with it in any venue. Perhaps the MDR, but I can't even come up with a valid reason for that.

That's okay, no one else has yet, either.;)

Read thru this last nite. Went on line ordered e cig. Thank you momof 4 for standing your ground and sharing the info. I'm 59 this month. In high school I was the one in the back of the mustang screaming "you're killing me". Took up smoking in college. Still smoke. Involved with 2nd round of breast cancer this year. Different cancer, different boob. I have still not had the fortitude to quit. Here's a surprise..the treatments and illness are stressful. What I am sensing from some of these comments is moral superoity. (sp) We haven't ,don't & won't smoke. We are the majority..we have won..we make the rules. But it's all a gray area at this point. Gray areas and change make people uncomfortable..these discussions are proof of that. Health & Happiness to everyone.... Pls imagine a bright pink smile here

I am glad you decided to join us, It is great trust me it takes a few to get used to but in the long if you need help or support I can me reached at jtopfuel350@aol.com

don't be afraid to ask. 6 days later still not smoking and I lost a pound. Weight gain was my biggest concern as I had just lost 30 pounds

I ordered mine yesterday, and can't wait to get it. Here's wishing all of us much success with them :D. Prayers to you with the cancer :cool:

Thank you both and thank you for sharing your contact info. I'm sure I'll need it. Still haven't gotten around to joining a abc group yet (grin) After Breast Cancer..Am a guest for the luncheon here on Thursday..still haven't figured out what to wear..think everyone else will be in shades of pink? Really the only place I can see people freaking about vapeing (did I spell say it right?) is on a plane..that could provoke chaos..but then travel already is. Big pink smiles across the miles...

Really the only place I can see people freaking about vapeing (did I spell say it right?) is on a plane..that could provoke chaos..but then travel already is.

You know I was thinking about that the other day (vaping on a plane) - the easy way around this is just to go to the washroom. The smoke detector won't detect anything cause it's not smoke, the flight attendants won't have a hissy fit cause they haven't received any info on whether it's allowed or not yet, other pax won't give you dirty looks. I know it's not the best option (vaping in the lav) but still better than nothing - until it becomes more socially acceptable.

You are kidding right:confused:

I have no problem with e cigarettes. Smoking is actually a habit rather than an addiction. People smoke while drinking, after they eat etc. out of habit. That's why it is frequently recommended that smokers find a substitute like lolipops, This certainly fits the bill. The reality all you exhale is water vapor and those who object do so for no real legitimate reason.

As an former smoker who has tried to quit. This is for you.

Nicotine is an addictive drug. It causes changes in the brain that make people want to use it more and more. In addition, addictive drugs cause unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. The good feelings that result when an addictive drug is present — and the bad feelings when it's absent — make breaking any addiction very difficult. Nicotine addiction has historically been one of the hardest addictions to break.

FYI.

In my opinion I say only in the smoking venues. This is not because I'm a reformed smoker but if I was a smoker and saw people smoking in the dining room I would really want a cigarette.

You wouldnt see people smoking in the dining room, because the e-cig produces no smoke. Have to have fire to have smoke..you need no fire to "vape"

Besides, if a smoker was to see someone "vaping", and it makes them want a cig that bad, then they are free to leave the MDR and have them a smoke in the smoking area.

As an former smoker who has tried to quit. This is for you.

Nicotine is an addictive drug. It causes changes in the brain that make people want to use it more and more. In addition, addictive drugs cause unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. The good feelings that result when an addictive drug is present — and the bad feelings when it's absent — make breaking any addiction very difficult. Nicotine addiction has historically been one of the hardest addictions to break.

FYI.

No one is doubting that nicotine is addictive. StevieG is right in saying that the habit of smoking is just as hard to give up as the nicotine in the cigs. That has always been my biggest problem with quitting, the nicotine cravings don't get to me, its the hand to mouth habit that is hard to break. This is why I am going to give the e-cig a chance.

Its not smoking people.Its getting nicotine by drawing on a tube .Not much different than a sucker stick sticking out of your mouth.And I think they should be allowed anywhere on the ship on a plane in a hospital they don't smell or cause harm to bystanders and if anyone fells a reason to complain I think they are just a person who has nothing better to do but get in other peoples business.Just my opinion.

Thank you both and thank you for sharing your contact info. I'm sure I'll need it. Still haven't gotten around to joining a abc group yet (grin) After Breast Cancer..Am a guest for the luncheon here on Thursday..still haven't figured out what to wear..think everyone else will be in shades of pink? Really the only place I can see people freaking about vapeing (did I spell say it right?) is on a plane..that could provoke chaos..but then travel already is. Big pink smiles across the miles...

Actually the Irish airline RyanAir sells e-cigs on board and allows them to be smoked on the plane , waiting for the plane etc

Congrats and best wishes regarding your "Fight against Breast Cancer"!

It is great to see all the "marches", runs, walks, luncheons, shows, and promotions about breast cancer...and it does seem that this is truly becoming a winning battle for so many woman which is great

but....notice that there are few walks, runs by enthusiastic and supportive lung cancer and throat cancer survivors?? Cause there are statistically very few "survivors"

all the more reason to at least give these e-cigs a try !!

Archived