Formal nights-the truth how I saw it

travelgenie

Fridayeyes - where in SoCal are you? (I understand if you don't wish to say.) I've been here a little over 5 years - was in Santa Barbara before and have been in California my whole life. I love CA, quirks and all.

Ah yes, the Myers Briggs test - I have not done it, but my DH has through work. He's in management and said it is very helpful in figuring out employees, how to utilize them best, who will work together best, etc. I'll have to take that online test one of these days.

Thanks again for sharing. I hope it got a lot of us to reflect on our way of thinking, "judging," etc.

Ah, MBTI -- I've had it done to me more than once.

DH is ENTJ and I'm ENTP. Guess where most of our fights are?

Hmmm, that would be THIS conversation, which tends to happen between my P mother, and J father:

Dad: What time is it?

Mom: It's late.

Dad: No, what *time* is it?

Mom: I already told you - it's late. We should have left 10 minutes ago.

Dad: Why can't you just answer the blinkety-blank question. WTH TIME is it??

Mom: Get a watch if you want to know what time it is!!

----------------------------

Or this one, in the car:

Friday: Oh look! There's a Baskin-Robbins!

DH: *keeps driving*

Friday: Awww, why didn't you stop? I wanted ice cream.

DH: <puzzled> Why didn't you say so?

Friday: I did. I said, "There's a Baskin Robbins!"

Fridayeyes - enjoy your upcoming cruise on the "O" - I'll be on her in November and would love to hear how your cruise goes, especially after a couple of recent threads about the pool and other issues on the O. (I wish I had never read that thread...)

:)

Fridayeyes - enjoy your upcoming cruise on the "O" - I'll be on her in November and would love to hear how your cruise goes, especially after a couple of recent threads about the pool and other issues on the O. (I wish I had never read that thread...)

:)

I've been on the big O before, and the events in that thread were an anomaly. Nuthin' to worry about. :D

Hmmm, that would be THIS conversation, which tends to happen between my P mother, and J father:

Dad: What time is it?

Mom: It's late.

Dad: No, what *time* is it?

Mom: I already told you - it's late. We should have left 10 minutes ago.

Dad: Why can't you just answer the blinkety-blank question. WTH TIME is it??

Mom: Get a watch if you want to know what time it is!!

----------------------------

Or this one, in the car:

Friday: Oh look! There's a Baskin-Robbins!

DH: *keeps driving*

Friday: Awww, why didn't you stop? I wanted ice cream.

DH: <puzzled> Why didn't you say so?

Friday: I did. I said, "There's a Baskin Robbins!"

Funnny. Is that what opposites attract mean? ;)

*grinning*

Anecdotally, I see lots of couple that have 2 or three preferences in common, but differ in 1 or 2. (there are 4 preferences)

I find that Sensing types and iNtuitives tend to hang around with their own crowd, though they may differ on introversion/extraversion or J/P. Also, men tend to be T (thinking( and women tend to be F (feeling), so the majority of male-female couples are T-male, F-female.

Did somebody say 'thread hijack?' :rolleyes:

From a somewhat interesting discussion/debate on formal nights, to a yawner of a 'coffee klatch.' Wow.

Not at all. This is more interesting than the arguing back and forth because it explains the strong opinions on the dress code threads. Hardly a coffee klatch. :rolleyes:

Times have changed, like it or not, we are a more casual society,

How true. Yet in some back recess of my brain, I wonder if that is not a shame.

Some people say this as a put down of people who enjoy that segment of their lifestyle.

I am in no way, shape or form a "dress up" kind of guy, yet I do enjoy on the rare occasion (annual cruise, weddings, etc.) dressing up. Am I a snob . . . absolutely not. I do not care what anybody else at my table or in the dining room is wearing . . . and I expect the same courtesy in return. Don't harp at me because I like to wear a tux on occasion and I will not harp at your "casual" dress.

• 1 month later...
Will be a first time cruiser on Holland so I have a few questions about the formal nights.

Does the AYWD also observe "formal nights" and is the menu different on formal nights? If so what is the difference?

When you say AYWD, I assume you mean open? Yes, it's the same as the "traditional" dining. The food is marginally better on formal nights.

Yes, I do mean open seating (As you wish dining).

AYW (As You Wish) does not refer to open seating. If you mean "open seating", then it's clearer if that's what you post.

As You Wish Dining is the umbrella term for all the various dining choices. Everyone has AYW---either as fixed seating, or open seating. Even those who don't get what they wish, have

As You Wish! :rolleyes:

On any given night, a person may "wish" to eat in the Lido or have room service, or dine in the Pinnacle, Canaletto, or Tamirind (on the two ships with that venue). Those, too, are part of As You Wish Dining.

Just back from the Westerdam where almost everyone dressed up for formal nights, but there were Those who were admitted to the dining room in 'smart casual' mode on formal nights. But in general the place glittered and shone.

I did see one man sent back to his room to put on long pants on a 'smart casual' night. (His wife glared and he went meekly.)

Just back from the Westerdam where almost everyone dressed up for formal nights, but there were Those who were admitted to the dining room in 'smart casual' mode on formal nights. But in general the place glittered and shone.

I did see one man sent back to his room to put on long pants on a 'smart casual' night. (His wife glared and he went meekly.)

I'll bet inside she was giggling and thinking, "I told you so".

...I do not care what anybody else at my table or in the dining room is wearing . . . and I expect the same courtesy in return. Don't harp at me because I like to wear a tux on occasion and I will not harp at your "casual" dress.

Too bad more people don't share the same attitude!

For the Caribbean cruises I love packing nothing but bathing suits and tuxedos. I do understand for the women its a bigger hassle. For me a different shirt, tie, and cummerbund and it"s a whole new look!

Being a big guy I frequently look like a bouncer, so I don't get anyone looking at me askance when I do wear it. It is formal night, so that's what I'm wearing. I think it very bad form to come down on people who dress formally for formal night.

I also think though that I, or any other passenger, shouldn't be seen as an extra or part of the scenery in someone else's vacation.

I really do not understand what the big deal is. If you want to dress casually on formal evenings then eat in the Lido or get room service. If you want to dress up then eat in the MDR or Pinnacle. The food in the MDR on formal nights is not that much different than on non formal nights, with perhaps the exception of the usually tough and overcooked lobster or crab (as it is on most cruise lines). If we are dressed accordingly in the MDR on formal evenings we really do not care if others are dressed casually but others do not share that opinion. We often skip formal evenings in the MDR as we are fairly light packers and dressing up does not do it for us.

Having wore a suit and tie for 35 years, when I am on vacation, formal wear is taboo. DW believes the same way I do. We dress business casual for dinner. We are on the cruise to relax and enjoy and a tux is not my idea of an enjoyable evening. For most formal nights, we eat at the buffet or in one of the specialty restaurants

• 1 month later...

Just picked up this thread. We travel from the UK, very strict baggage allowance of 50lb each. We always bring 'dressing up' things for a cruise, let's face it, dressy up dresses are usually very lightweight and pack to almost nothing, if you do it carefully, have everything to go with black shoes so you only need the one pair, and dress up with jewellery, wraps etc, and for the men, one dress shirt will do - you can always wash it. One pair of black shoes and regular trousers that will go, four of us can get all of our formal gear and a bit more in one bag!! There are so few places these days to go and really get dressed up, this is such a good excuse and not feel overdressed. Really looking forward to our HAL cruise in May and will be VERY dressed up on the formal nights

I have lots of opinions about lots of things, including formal wear on cruises.

I love to see men dressed in tuxedos or white dinner jackets, even with just blazers and neckties. In my everyday life here at home, most of the men I see are not dressed up at all, so it is a treat to see them on a cruise ship. However, I am not bothered by seeing men who are not dressed formally.

There is not an LBD for every woman, including me. Due to many surgeries and lots of years of living, the closest I can come to "little black dress" is a BBD. Wrist length sleeves, collarbone high neckline, and flared long skirt (or loose slacks) describes my formal wear. Wearing something bare or snug would not enhance my evening nor would it be a treat for those seeing me. I believe that my scars (and other evidence of my medical events) should be covered, if at all possible.

I do own a very attractive navy blue dress, with long sleeves. It has a sheer layer over a solid lining, and has a few beads and sequins on the bodice. I feel dressy in it, but it is certainly not elegant - just pretty. My other formal wear is similar, but different colors.

I haven't worn high heels in over fifteen years, but I do have some very pretty (almost) flat shoes that look dressy to me. They look pretty good with any of my outfits I call "formal."

Archived