Religious Services

wyomom2

First time cruise coming up in December! Silly question.....my DH is full time pastor. We were advised, that maybe, ship might require his services. Does not look like we'll be having church while on board as ship leaves and returns on Sundays. However, will ship need him for something else durring the week? Happy to be of service - any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

From the few ships we have been on, there are no organized services organized by the ship.

If you are thinking of volunteering in conducting services, I would suggest you contact the cruise line directly ASAP. They may have guidelines-policies in place and might require some type of paper work before hand.

First time cruise coming up in December! Silly question.....my DH is full time pastor. We were advised, that maybe, ship might require his services. Does not look like we'll be having church while on board as ship leaves and returns on Sundays. However, will ship need him for something else durring the week? Happy to be of service - any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Same with my OH...we contacted Miami- in our case NCL. It took a lot of doing, but was worth it in the end.

Jo.

In the case of Holland America there is always, to my knowledge, a Catholic priest onboard.

HAL has not been following this policy for quite a while.

Clergy who wish to volunteer to do on board services have to be 'vetted' by the cruise company. Credentials etc.

Long gone are the days when a clergy person could cruise for free in lieu of his professional services.

What kinds of "services" do you think the cruise line would require of a person of the cloth? No cruise line requires the services of any pastor, priest, rabbi or minister except when hired specifically by the cruise line and that only happens during high holy days or religious holidays. When they did provide this service, it was via a company that contracted with individuals. Some lines used to have a priest on board for every cruise, but that has pretty much stopped. Crystal has a priest for every cruise, and on their world cruise they have a full time priest, minister and rabbi. But cruise lines do not ask that passengers who happen to be ministers/pastors perform special services.

What kind of services?

As much as we don't like to think about it and most times never know, but people do go on "the last cruise of their life" on board. Someone could want the spiritual support of a clergy, any clergy at such a time. It's nice of the OP's DH to offer his services in the event they are needed.....for whatever reason.:)

The last HAL cruise I went on (Aug 2009) had a daily Catholic Mass and also Friday/Saturday services for Jewish passengers. Not sure what the Protestants did! I don't know if the priest and rabbi were retained by HAL or just offered their services because they happened to be on board as passengers.

You don't say which line you are cruising. Generally, his services won't be required, but it is terribly kind of him to offer his professional services during his vacation time. My DH is also a full-time pastor, so I know how dear that vacation time is (since at home you are on-call 24/7). On our cruise, we just made it known to the cruise line that he is a minister, so should anything happen that would necessitate counseling he could be avilable to assist.

Enjoy your time off and away!!!!

Archived