What do you do on sea days in Alaska?

JeanfromBNA

My DH and I are considering a 10-night Ultimate Alaska cruise on Celebrity next September. We've only been on two short Carribean cruises, and while we enjoyed our one day without a port as some nice downtime, I'm concerned that four days "off" on our 10-night cruise will have us wishing that we had picked a 7-night cruise.

I know that there will be wonderful things to see from the ship, but I'm wondering if it's too much of a good thing.

I haven't sailed Celebrity in Alaska, but on Princess there was a 'resident' naturalist who was generally on the bridge, pointing out wildlife. You aren't out of sight of land most of the time. There are also talks about the ports (not just shopping and tours) and other shipboard activities, such as trivia, etc. It's a time to enjoy the shipboard amenities you have paid good money for. EM

Read a good book, go to the spa, play trivia, go to a movie or maybe an afternoon performance, use the thallassotherapy pool if it's an M class ship, eat! There's lots to do. We loved our 7 sea days in a row on the last transatlantic.

Honestly.... There is no such thing as too many days on board. :)

As noted above by others, there are many many things to do. I used to think 7 days was a cruise... 10 is my current minimum! :D

You will find PLENTY to keep you occupied!

Happy cruising!

Celebrity keeps a naturalist onboard their Alaska sailings, and they will narrate whenever you enter the glacier areas. (If the glacier is one of your sea days, consider that day filled - you'll probably be out on deck or gazing out the windows for most of that one. It's wonderful.) The naturalist will also pop on if wildlife (bears, eagles, whales) are spotted.

I find sea days in Alaska to be some of the most interesting. The ship sails so close to the coastline, you'll almost always have something to look at - completely different from the Caribbean where you're in the middle of open sea all the time. Don't forget the binoculars!

As mentioned before the 'sea days' in Alaska are completely different than sea days on Caribbean cruises, and depending on the itinerary you will be navigating through various narrows and scenic stretches of the Inside Passage. However, if you depart out of Seattle the chances are that you will go WEST of the large Vancouver Island and that is basically your only true 'sea day' where you may be out of the sight of land. Thats why I have always preferred cruises that start of end in Vancouver, because they go to the EAST of Vancouver Island and there is more scenic cruising involved. Do take binoculars and a good book to relax and read on the Promenade Deck as the scenery slowly drifts past you. Here are some pictures I took on one of our 'sea days' in Alaska:

SeaDay1.jpg

SeaDay2.jpg

SeaDay5.jpg

SeaDay4.jpg

SeaDay3.jpg

Jean,

How great that you will be spending 10 days cruising in Alaska!

Couldn't agree more with the posters that said an Alaska Cruise is very different from a Caribbean Cruise - and not just regarding the temperature!

In the Caribbean sea days are actually spent "at sea". I think these days are the ones that cause some people to feel they would be bored on a cruise. What to do with all of that time? On sea days my DH and I find there are so many activities (as mentioned by other posters) we often can't fit them all in. We LOVE sea days!!

In Alaska you have the added benefit of cruising by gorgeous scenery almost all the time and the possibility of seeing Whales and other wildlife while cruising.

Hope you enjoy all aspects of your cruise!!

Archived