Dress code in dining room

califmamabear

Princess explains the dress code & if that isn't what a passenger wants to do...then why do they go & completely ignore the dress code? It's a matter of respect for the rules & your fellow cruisers who do follow them.

If the Princess rules aren't what someone wants for their cruise, I'm sure there are other more appropriate cruise lines for them to sail.

:mad:

Well unfortunately there are many people who do not read rules and I just don't think it's because they are trying to be disrespectful or rude. My sister has ADHD and she simply gets distracted, and yes, enough to not think about changing her clothes for dinner. But she did dress up on formal nights and she did dress appropriately on all other nights.

I have not seen alot of discussion about the dress code in dining room on the days that are not formal. I have been on Celebrity and RCCL and they are specific about what is recommended on each night. Of course not everyone follows the suggestions. For me I like the "formality" of dressing for dinner. I certainly do not do that at home. Are jeans, shorts allowed? Even on the casual dress nights on my other cruises we did see alot of that. Btw we are on the Ruby Eastern Caribbean. Does that make a difference?

I'm thinking seriously about booking a Princess cruisetour to Alaska on the Coral Princess. Have not sailed Princess. Do not want to pack formal stuff. On formal nights I'd like to eat at the buffet. How are the choices at the buffet? Thanks. e-mail: joycekeay(at)comcast.net

I'm thinking seriously about booking a Princess cruisetour to Alaska on the Coral Princess. Have not sailed Princess. Do not want to pack formal stuff. On formal nights I'd like to eat at the buffet. How are the choices at the buffet? Thanks. e-mail: joycekeay(at)comcast.net

Unless you're extremely picky eater you'll always find decently prepared food to eat- even on formal evenings. It won't be all the selections that are in available the dining room but still many item to choose from. Unfortunately they don't post a menu like at the dining room door so you won't know exactly what they'll have until you get there.

Unless you're extremely picky eater you'll always find decently prepared food to eat- even on formal evenings. It won't be all the selections that are in available the dining room but still many item to choose from. Unfortunately they don't post a menu like at the dining room door so you won't know exactly what they'll have until you get there.

I agree with 1 HappyCruiser. When I was on the Coral we decided to pass on the formal nights and ate at the buffet instead. There were extra choices in the buffet on those nights (which were good), but they did not match what was being served in the dining rooms. What you trade in food, you gain in comfort.

I have suggested before that Princess designate one dining room as having no dress code. Wear jeans there on formal night, that's great. Shorts with the top about your Knees, no problem. A holey tee-shirt, go for it.

In the other dining room(s), the dress code is strictly enforced.

A recent thread had the following response to the dress code issue they said was from Princess & I see how this reply affects the way the dining room staff responds...:(

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1298501

The official reply from Princess is:

"The matter of standards of dress in the restaurants is a particularly vexed question for, whilst we endeavor to persuade people to adhere to certain minimum standards of decency and formality, we do not feel that we can coerce them.

You will appreciate that the circumstances of a restaurant in a ship are somewhat different from those ashore. The balance between persuasion and coercion is a delicate one but we do ask Head waiters to endeavor to discourage people, in a tactful manner, from entering the restaurant for dinner inappropriately dressed."

IMHO...Princess is being pretty spineless on this issue. Set rules they won't enforce & put their staff at risk for false accusations. It has to be an extremely bad violation before the staff dares take a chance by confronting a passenger & putting their prized job at risk.

I'm not a "dress police" member & don't let others clothing affect my dinner. If they're at least dressed nicely on formal nights & decently on smart caual nights it's not an issue with me even if it's not strickly the Princess dress code.

A recent thread had the following response to the dress code issue they said was from Princess & I see how this reply affects the way the dining room staff responds...:(

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1298501

The official reply from Princess is:

"The matter of standards of dress in the restaurants is a particularly vexed question for, whilst we endeavor to persuade people to adhere to certain minimum standards of decency and formality, we do not feel that we can coerce them.

You will appreciate that the circumstances of a restaurant in a ship are somewhat different from those ashore. The balance between persuasion and coercion is a delicate one but we do ask Head waiters to endeavor to discourage people, in a tactful manner, from entering the restaurant for dinner inappropriately dressed."

IMHO...Princess is being pretty spineless on this issue. Set rules they won't enforce & put their staff at risk for false accusations. It has to be an extremely bad violation before the staff dares take a chance by confronting a passenger & putting their prized job at risk.

I'm not a "dress police" member & don't let others clothing affect my dinner. If they're at least dressed nicely on formal nights & decently on smart caual nights it's not an issue with me even if it's not strickly the Princess dress code.

Your posted response from Princess is exactly what we've been experiencing in the last 10 years. I'm all in agreement with dressing down but not to the point of dirty clothes, flip flops or baseball caps on a formal night but more towards the dressy casual side & this is exactly what Princess has been accepting as formal dress down. It still allows for everyone to enjoy the food in the main DR without upsetting anyone in the process.

I have suggested before that Princess designate one dining room as having no dress code. Wear jeans there on formal night, that's great. Shorts with the top about your Knees, no problem. A holey tee-shirt, go for it.

In the other dining room(s), the dress code is strictly enforced.

Princess has that. It's called Horizon Court.

Princess has that. It's called Horizon Court.

HC is a buffet. It is not a dining room at least in the part of the country I am from. A dining room is where one is served. A buffet is where one serves themselves usually from hot tables.

Gee whiz... whatever happened to my kisses? :confused: :p

Ok...I'll try to make my point again.....If someone feels they have a right to ignore guidlines and rules about dressing in the dining room, than that individual should not put limitations on any other individuals choices. For instance, if the individual doesn't wear a jacket and tie in the dining room on formal night, that individual shouldn't claim that shorts and ball caps would not be appropriate. Where do we draw the line? We either live with rules, laws and guidelines or we work to have them changed in an appropriate way.

I don't understand the mentality of wearing shorts and t shirts to dinner. Usually it's the men who refuse to wear something nicer. You would not go out to dinner in a nice restaurant at home wearing shorts, or maybe you do, so why think you should be able to do it just because you are on a ship on vacation. If you must wear shorts, go up to the buffet.

I have seen a gentleman in front of me in line for dinner non formal night be asked to put on long pants before being seated. ( he was in walking length shorts so to the knee) I was a little nervous after that as I was wearing a skort and not sure I would get away with it. But I did and all was fine. The gentelman just stepped out of line ran and changed and was actually back in line before his group was called by beeper to dinner...

Ter

We're just off the Emerald today & am happy to report that the dining room is just a lenient as it's ever been about allowing people to dress down on formal evenings to the point that just a long sleeve dress shirt & dress pants are all that are required - without a jacket. We only went to the DR on the first formal night since on the second night they served lobster claws, crab claws & shrimp in the Cafe Carib.

Could it be that Princess is actually beginning to alter their menu selections at the buffet to include all the items that are served in the DR? If so, a lot of people who want to see everyone dressed as formally as themselves well as those who only go to the DR because of the better selections will be very happy.

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for all the good info. I will be on the Crown in two days and I had questions in the back of my mind about dress in the MDR for breakfast/lunch and dinner.

This might be s silly question but here goes:

People talking about the MDR - is this what is detailed on the deck plan for the Diamond as the 'International Dining Room'? :confused:

As a wheelchair user, I am not too keen on the buffet style dining for breakfast, so wanted to be sure where I should be going!:o

Counting down the days now - wheelchair has all been serviced, new batteries, so we are set!:D

This might be s silly question but here goes:

People talking about the MDR - is this what is detailed on the deck plan for the Diamond as the 'International Dining Room'? :confused:

As a wheelchair user, I am not too keen on the buffet style dining for breakfast, so wanted to be sure where I should be going!:o

Counting down the days now - wheelchair has all been serviced, new batteries, so we are set!:D

That would be the Traditional dining room.

They started "Freestyle" dining at dinner. Jeans are OK if the are brand new & black preferred. No halter tops, no TShirts, no shorts for men or women, no baseball caps or any hats.

So why not Princess, people in gowns & tuxes can do it 7 nights a week if they love it but do not disrespect folks who dress nicely for dinner but not formal when we are retired. Suits & gowns went to Goodwill for folk who need them, not for us.

We do not fly if we have to pay for our luggage to fly. SO carry on is great for us with laundry done very 5 days.,

No shorts. You will be turned away. Dress code is "smart" casual and while a few people wear jeans, the vast majority don't. Most women wear slacks/skirts and tops; most men wear chinos and shirt. Or something similar.

Smart Casual

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

• Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies
  • Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn.

They started "Freestyle" dining at dinner. Jeans are OK if the are brand new & black preferred. No halter tops, no TShirts, no shorts for men or women, no baseball caps or any hats.

Where did you see Princess make a statement about jeans having to be "new" or "black" preferred? That's a new one to me.

Archived