Help...... Cannot read so many posts these days.

sail7seas

I have only read the first and last pages of this thread. I have to laugh!!! I think the posts the OP is referring to, I interpretted differently. I thought they were written by people in another country who did not have a handle on the English Language. As others have said, I typically skipped over them once I realized how much work it was to decipher the post. Now I realize that the posts were most likely written in the texting lingo!!! Funny!!! Oh well, I guess as others have said, we have the choice to just skip over them and that is what we should do if the post is like translating a foreign language.

I have a running list of CC abbreviations if anyone wants it. I have compiled it from varios posts here on CC over the past year.

If you want me to repost it just holler ar me.

Joanie

I would appreciate seeing this list. Since i'm new to Cruise Critic and cruising I have difficulty understanding what some people are referring to. I've used context clues to figure some of the abbreviations out, but my analysis may be incorrect. :confused:

Thanks!

I didn't say that you specifically mentioned all the types of errors you went on to make. I pointed out that your post -- which, you will recall, complained of the "misuse of the english language" -- was full of errors in capitalization, spelling, [parallel] construction and spacing. That was and is entertainingly ironic.

I didn't mean to sound rude to your response. I had to go back and reread my post. I have Old Timers Memory.:D

I would appreciate seeing this list. Since i'm new to Cruise Critic and cruising I have difficulty understanding what some people are referring to. I've used context clues to figure some of the abbreviations out, but my analysis may be incorrect. :confused:

Thanks!

I am going to start a new thread specifically Called Commonly Used Acronyms on Cruise Critic.

Joanie

Every time I come across one of those long "paragraphs" with no capital letters, punctuation, etc. I'm reminded of a post that my son told me about. The person had run on and on and the next poster said, "Hey, I just found some periods, commas and question marks lying on the floor - are they yours?"

If I were young I would be texting like mad and loving it. At my age I would have few to text with so I have not really learned the lingo. However, I recently had a great experience with this very issue.

I live in a "55 and older" community. There is a fine, expensive, smaller private university near us. This fall a professor set-up a series of conversation "dates" between one entering student and one "over 55" resident. About 60 from each group participated. We had several one-on-one conversations over time talking with some suggested "ice breaker" questions and plenty of time to allow the conversation to flow. After several sessions the students are to write about what they learned from their assigned person for presentation to the adult community and fellow students.

The stated purpose was to encourage the students to start thinking of what interests they had and about possible "life" tools might be useful, etc.

HOWEVER, a major reason such an experience was required was organized this was to provide the students with opportunity to practice having an old fashioned conversation with "strangers" and to be able to listen well enough to capture the essence of what we said in writing. could. These wonderful (my experience) young people were smart and had many options in life, but conversations with strangers apparently is not in their experience bank which at this time can be a real handicap in the work world they plan to enter. At some point an interview is still necessary for many sorts of jobs, and one usually must verbally communicate with co-workers too. Now 10 or 20 years from now this may change and more work done through texting, BUT not yet. (Heck, even 5 years from now texting may be "out" and something we cannot even envision at this time may be THE way to communicate.)

Saial I agree with you wholeheartedly. The textspeak you speak of reminds me of the shorthand I learned in college. Not Gregg shorthand, but a from for taking notes that basically was all the words with the vowels left out.

I have never texted either. I do have a cell phone but it is a disposable that I purchased for the long road trip from Phoenix to Ft Lauderdale in case of emergancy. I won't put more minutes into it unless we need it for another trip.

If I were young I would be texting like mad and loving it. At my age I would have few to text with so I have not really learned the lingo. However, I recently had a great experience with this very issue.

I live in a "55 and older" community. There is a fine, expensive, smaller private university near us. This fall a professor set-up a series of conversation "dates" between one entering student and one "over 55" resident. About 60 from each group participated. We had several one-on-one conversations over time talking with some suggested "ice breaker" questions and plenty of time to allow the conversation to flow. After several sessions the students are to write about what they learned from their assigned person for presentation to the adult community and fellow students.

The stated purpose was to encourage the students to start thinking of what interests they had and about possible "life" tools might be useful, etc.

HOWEVER, a major reason such an experience was required was organized this was to provide the students with opportunity to practice having an old fashioned conversation with "strangers" and to be able to listen well enough to capture the essence of what we said in writing. could. These wonderful (my experience) young people were smart and had many options in life, but conversations with strangers apparently is not in their experience bank which at this time can be a real handicap in the work world they plan to enter. At some point an interview is still necessary for many sorts of jobs, and one usually must verbally communicate with co-workers too. Now 10 or 20 years from now this may change and more work done through texting, BUT not yet. (Heck, even 5 years from now texting may be "out" and something we cannot even envision at this time may be THE way to communicate.)

Sounds like a wonderful program!

Well I too used a telex and could read some of your challenge, but certainly not all. But I hope the Smiths and Jones had an uneventful flight from Oslo to New York on Scandinavian flight 541 ;)

AND my guess is that 4FINLAT might refer to the seats ???

Won't even attempt 2KSML ($2,000 in small unmarked bills :confused: )

Do I get half a prize ?

There was a reasoning behind all those abbreviations, COST.

Telex was like a separate network run by Western Union (at least in the USA), and they charged by the cypher.

What a racket, considering the awesome communication we have now for FREE !

r.

PS: Thanks for the link to the Acronyms

LOL...Oh yes, half the prize is yours! I shall decipher the telex for you.. you..

For instance a telex might read:

"2Smith 2Jones 4FINLAT (First Names later) ****

SK541 02 Jun OSL JFK KK 4 (Scandinavian & Oslo are correct) plus INF. (2 Smith's will have an infant with them)

2Smith NN INF ML (they are requesting an infant meal)

plus 2KSML (2 Smith also need 2 kosher meals)

****Almost lost my job when I first started at SAS as the flight was full..& I had blocked 4 seats for 4FINLAT...Fortunately the Boss forgave me & I was able to call other Psgrs. on the Waitlist to confirm seats..LOL

Just to repeat a good WEB site for Net Lingo is:

http://www.netlingo.com/acronyms.php

Cheers....Betty

Cheers...Betty

I didn't mean to sound rude to your response. I had to go back and reread my post. I have Old Timers Memory.:D

Pokey,

So glad no one is being rude here.

I too was very amused to read your original post, but chose not to comment.

I am fighting Dyslexia, "Senior Fingers" and a keyboard that likes to Jump the cursor to strange places.

We are not supposed (CC regulations) to comment on others' writing, use of English or spelling, precisely because so many users are non-native English Speakers.

In spite of whatever errors, your communication came through.

r.

Wow! From MACPC's complaints about misspellings and poor "grammer" . . . this thread has been full of entertaining ironies.

A little public humiliation every now and then is a good thing:o, right?

Even though it was definitely NOT my intent [to embarrass myself, that is], it's a good reminder to always check those three fingers pointing at me before I stick out that one finger pointing at someone else.

Oh well, one of my great talents in life is to create scenarios that provide me with keep it real stories. This one will do nicely.

Alternating between cringing and blushing:D.

Archived