Diamond member activities to be curtailed

JIMDSB2

It amazes me that people are so concerned about Diamond luncheons, parties, etc. I am probably in the minority but while I am happy to have take 13 cruises, I didn't do it just for perks. I sailed because I love cruise ships and the cruising experience. I'd rather get bigger discounts than worry about a party. To each his own.

I'm with you on this!!

We enjoy & appreciate the perks but cruise for the pleasure it gives us. Whatever they want to give us, we'll take. But............. if it all went away, we'd still cruise.

It amazes me that people are so concerned about Diamond luncheons, parties, etc. I am probably in the minority but while I am happy to have take 13 cruises, I didn't do it just for perks. I sailed because I love cruise ships and the cruising experience. I'd rather get bigger discounts than worry about a party. To each his own.

im diamond,and i did enjoy the cruises BUT it was gaining the credits that kept me to RC.I would have tried other cruise lines had they not done the credits, and thats why RC do it . AND if RC stop the perks theres noththink to keep me with them,and will be picking the itinarys not the cruise line,and as i plan to cruise every year for many years to come, they will lose a lot of money from me alone..........REMEMBER... THEY DONT GIVE YOU PERKS OUT OF THE GOODNESS OF THEIR HEART...........THEY DO IT TO KEEP YOU COMING BACK TO THEM........... FACT....NO CARROT NO SALE.

Was on the Sept. 26th Mariner cruise where a group of us were told by an officer that the luncheon were going to be curtailed/stopped. I understood that the luncheon we were at was to be the last one. However since Barb was just on the Mariner recently maybe she will see this post and correct me if I am wrong. It wouldn't be the first time and I am sure not the last. :)

A number of suggestions were made to the officer at our table which he may or may not have shared with higher ups.

I was on the 10/03 Mariner and there was NO mention of any luncheon.

If there were a whole lot of D and D+ members on the cruise, they will cut the P's out of this perk. I am guessing this is what might have happened to you.

On a cruise where this happened to us, we and a few other couples ( I learned later), contacted guest relations and told them that we understood that there was no room at the luncheon for the Platinum folk, so we would accept some OBC in lieu of the benefit that was due us (the luncheon). All of us who did this were invited to the luncheon. I'm just sorry all the other P's on the cruise didn't assert their rights, too.

I'm above P now, but I still think it is not fair to dis-invite the P people because there are too many D and D+ on board. If the perk is there, like the luncheon, then the people who are entitled to it should either be invited or otherwise compensated if there is no room for them. It's not the C&A member's fault that ths ship can't accommodate them.

Just my two cents worth.

I am just curious why you think they should give you OBC for something that is a benefit the luncheon is not an entitlement.

If there were a whole lot of D and D+ members on the cruise, they will cut the P's out of this perk. I am guessing this is what might have happened to you.

On a cruise where this happened to us, we and a few other couples ( I learned later), contacted guest relations and told them that we understood that there was no room at the luncheon for the Platinum folk, so we would accept some OBC in lieu of the benefit that was due us (the luncheon). All of us who did this were invited to the luncheon. I'm just sorry all the other P's on the cruise didn't assert their rights, too.

I'm above P now, but I still think it is not fair to dis-invite the P people because there are too many D and D+ on board. If the perk is there, like the luncheon, then the people who are entitled to it should either be invited or otherwise compensated if there is no room for them. It's not the C&A member's fault that ths ship can't accommodate them.

Just my two cents worth.

How nice of you to say you would accept OBC, I'll bet they couldn't thank you enough. I will never understand how some people feel so entitled. This is a GIFT, the cruise lines can arrange it any way they choose. It is the complainers that will ruin it for everyone when they decide it just isn't worth the aggravaton.

I am just curious why you think they should give you OBC for something that is a benefit the luncheon is not an entitlement.

I'm even more shocked they gave the OBC!!!:eek:

and you wonder why the program will be changing...................;)

Sorry-but if I have to assert my rights while on a vacation for a luncheon, that BTW I could have lunch anywhere, has really lost, for me, the value of the word vacation.

Well Cool cruiser fear not, thats another bad rumor going around. RCCL has not curtailed any Diamond events on any ships. The only change is WHERE on the ships the Diamond get togethers will occur...I hope we can put this topic to rest for awhile!!

I find it hard to believe they are doing away with the Nightly Diamond VIP event after all the commotion about concierge access being denied.

Now the Welcome Back "repeaters" party - they could dispense with that one, they are usually over crowded and I am sure they can find a way to thank repeat passengers without cramming them in a room for a couple of free cocktails.

This is true....they could just give repeaters a bottle of that "sparkling wine" in their room upon arrival on the ship...with a nice little "thanks for sailing" card.

Chris

"worked to become diamond members"? Come on now. You paid your money for a cruise. Recieved a cruise in return. Any other "reward" is complimentary. To endure the torture of a cruise JUST to get some points is dopey. Cruise for the experience nothing else....oh yea we are diamond...woopti doooo:rolleyes:

seems to me that with kids hitting adulthood at D and above that it has been inevitable for some time that the loyalty perks are not sustainable. they simply created too many monsters to fit anywhere. (apologies to those who are not the least bit monstrous)

I also think it's ridiculous for anyone to say they "worked" to become whatever status.

jmo

Totally agree with both of you, but many posters on here who I still remember will bash you for saying this. There is a huge difference in "I worked hard to obtain my status" versus "I worked hard in able to go on a cruise". :D

I never considered going on a cruise working hard, but I guess my way of thinking is much different than others.:rolleyes:

I think the C&A program should be simplified. RCI should eliminate all the C&A perks except one: booking discounts. Just give us a larger discount on our cabin.

D+ $500 off suite, $450 off balcony, $425 off ov, $400 off inside

D $450 off suite, $400 off balcony, $375 off ov, $350 off inside

G $400 off suite, $350 off balcony, $325 off ov, $300 off inside

P $350 off suite, $300 off balcony, $275 off ov, $250 off inside

With the money we save, we can buy all the cheap trinkets they give away. That's a lot of key chains and fanny packs!!!

I think the C&A program should be simplified. RCI should eliminate all the C&A perks except one: booking discounts. Just give us a larger discount on our cabin.

D+ $500 off suite, $450 off balcony, $425 off ov, $400 off inside

D $450 off suite, $400 off balcony, $375 off ov, $350 off inside

G $400 off suite, $350 off balcony, $325 off ov, $300 off inside

P $350 off suite, $300 off balcony, $275 off ov, $250 off inside

With the money we save, we can buy all the cheap trinkets they give away. That's a lot of key chains and fanny packs!!!

I don't think your idea would ever take off being that they would be losing more money doing it this way than just giving you other perks and free drinks for 3 1/2 hours. Plus, have you seen some of the prices for inside cabins? They would be paying you to cruise with these types of discounts.

I've been saying this for the longest time so you are not in the minority.

Lounges and private rooms only appeal to some not all. This whole concept was and still is a marketing gimmick that is working well for the company. Once it has outlived its use, the company will the do its next modification which we al know is not a rumor. That was in an article in good old black and white. [wish I could find the darn thing]

The idea of a thank you pre or after dinner drink was a nice gesture but for many, camping for the entire time, having seats that are called for the regulars-come on-it's a floating freakin' city which changes passengers every week-who the heck are 'the regulars':confused:. in rooms that can not hold the amount of C&A members and CL that can not hold the amount of suite guests and D+ guests is broke IMO.

As outspoken as some of you are with your opinion how you love the 'lounges'. Some of us would love to see the entire program re-structured so those of us upcoming D and future D+ have a program that is not what it is today. To some of us-it is broke.

I don't think your idea would ever take off being that they would be losing more money doing it this way than just giving you other perks and free drinks for 3 1/2 hours. Plus, have you seen some of the prices for inside cabins? They would be paying you to cruise with these types of discounts.

I know what you mean, but it's nice to dream!

"worked to become diamond members"? Come on now. You paid your money for a cruise. Recieved a cruise in return. Any other "reward" is complimentary. To endure the torture of a cruise JUST to get some points is dopey. Cruise for the experience nothing else....oh yea we are diamond...woopti doooo:rolleyes:

Well Joe you have a point.. we paid for the cruise and RCI delivered as promised.. BUt RCI also made a promise in their loyality program. Yes I am one of those "dopey" people who did take a cruise in reliance of getting to another status... I took cruise #10 jsut to get to Diamond in anticipation of my 11th cruise. And again I was "dopey" and took 2 more cruises just to get the points when I was so close to getting Diamond plus. Truth be known,yes I have stayed with RCI in anticipation of earning points and getting to the various levels. RCI made a promise to reward me for doing so. Otherwise I would have cruised on many other lines. Each one of the other lines look appealing but b/c of RCI's loyalty program I stay with RCI.

As far as "woopti doooo Diamond" I enjoy being Diamond plus. I enjoy being a part of something good. Its a great benefit and a great program. I know others feel the same way.:eek:

As far as "woopti doooo Diamond" I enjoy being Diamond plus. I enjoy being a part of something good. Its a great benefit and a great program. I know others feel the same way.:eek:

I have to agree with this part of your post. As a Diamond member, I found the perks to be a nice benefit, but it certainly was not why I was on a cruise vacation. However, my recent cruise on the Oasis was my first D+ cruise and I found the perks to be fabulous. The Concierge Lounge was awesome with the hot breakfast service, the cocktail parties, etc, and Ricardo, the concierge, was able to fix a problem I had with the dining room. Who knows what hell I would have gone through without him. 90 minutes of internet usage proved valuable in keeping track of Hurricane Paula (I live in the Keys and was concerned). And the behind the scenes tours of the bridge and galley were a nice touch that most people don't get to enjoy these days. Even the Diamond Lounge overlooking the Promenade was really nice to visit. The free bottle of wine in my room that I was able to choose as a D+ perk topped this cruise off perfectly.

I still do not book cruises just to earn points, but the perks received now really are a motivator.

I feel exactly as you do! I have loved all the cruises I've been on. I appreciate all the perks and enjoy them while they last, but I don't feel entitled to anything.

I am sorry but I really do not agree with you, the "perks" as you put it are not perks, they are part of the long term contract that I have with the cruise line, where they say "cruise with us alot, and we will give you these benefits", and therefore at this time I am entitled to the benefits.

Yes I know in the small print it says, that they can change the program at any time, but for now as a member of any status I am entitled to the things listed as being a benefit, provided (not given, I have paid alot of money to become D+), in recognition for my loyalty.

If they decide in the future to change how they value my custom, I can decide how I want to spend my future cruise dollars :D

.................. I appreciate all the perks and enjoy them while they last, but I don't feel entitled to anything.

Platinum, Diamond and Diamond+ Event.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/benefitsLoggedout.do;jsessionid=0000fJ_MDHOUCm8aXZpvlsSdoYS:12hdhu93n?cS=NAVBAR

This has always been the luncheon on every other 7+ day cruise I was on after attaining Platinum except for this one where they told us that if it was not for the large amount of D and D+, P would be invited. I considered this luncheon, which we had always enjoyed before, as a perk similar to the coupon book or the balcony discount. Having been told that we were entitled to attend, but there was no room for us, we just asked for an alternative entitlement.

How would you feel if you wanted to use your $100 balcony credit but were told that all the balconies were taken by D and D+ so there were none for you?

How would you feel if they told you you could no longer have your Platinum or Gold coupon books because they ran out of ink printing all the coupon books for D and D+. Same thing.

If the company says you are entitled to a benefit for your loyalty to them, then they should give you the benefit or an alternative when there is no space to provide it.

I am quite loyal to Royal but I should have known better than to deal with the cheerleaders who are probably the same people moaning about the CL.

It's interesting to see that the D and D+s don't care when those with a lower level of C&A lose a benefit.

Please do not tar us all with the same brush, in my post directly above yours, I clearly state "but for now as a member of any status I am entitled to the things listed as being a benefit", so whilst I am a D+ I will fight your corner for you and all members no matter what their status might be. :D

Platinum, Diamond and Diamond+ Event.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/cas/benefitsLoggedout.do;jsessionid=0000fJ_MDHOUCm8aXZpvlsSdoYS:12hdhu93n?cS=NAVBAR

................It's interesting to see that the D and D+s don't care when those with a lower level of C&A lose a benefit.

Wow

Let's look at this:

I paid for a suite. Yes-paid full fare for one cruise and was told all my amenities for booking that suite. One was a cocktail hour for a complimentary drink or two.:o D's were allowed in the CL and the line was out the door every night. After the 3rd night stopped trying. Enjoyed my morning coffee with Dee dee [sp?] Does everyone think I should be credited for some drinks? Come on........:rolleyes:

I sure do hope corporate is reading this. :cool:

Archived