We just got CANCELLED for Nov. 28, 2011 on Voyager.

kennetro

Teresa, we just love you and Don.

I think the lack of communication is the problem here and that is why many are frustrated. Let's say you plan a vacation and you are still working. How do you replace that?

Regent has known about their issues with the Pod system for years. Now they are canceling a cruise?

Six star cruise lines will take care of their guests regardless of the situation. Refunds just don't hack it.

Teresa, we just love you and Don.

I think the lack of communication is the problem here and that is why many are frustrated. Let's say you plan a vacation and you are still working. How do you replace that?

Regent has known about their issues with the Pod system for years. Now they are canceling a cruise?

Six star cruise lines will take care of their guests regardless of the situation. Refunds just don't hack it.

Regent, Crystal, Celebrity, etc. all know too well the problems with the pods. Don't know if you are talking about the October 3rd cruise when the pod had a mechanical problem or the subject of this thread. . . . . the cancellation of the 11/28/2011 cruise which is completely unrelated to the pod -- Regent simply decided to move the ship to another area.

BTW, Regent is taking very good care of their guests. No need to worry.

I am surprised and, frankly, amazed at the posters who are so forgiving, sanguine and cavalier about Regent canceling this cruise. Sure, it was a year away, but some of us had planned on taking that specific cruise. i can tell you from personal experience over the past 2 days that it is not that simple to just rebook another cruise, particularly at or near the same cost and/or itinerary. THe March TA on the Mariner is sold out is similar categories. I can't take the one they suggested we replace it with (a week earlier, also TG week). The rest of their cruises, as Joanandjoe mentioned, are in/to the Carribean, Canada/New England, Alaska (where I live), or considerably more expensive. This cruise also had a 50% single supplement, which most others do not. Perhaps if money and time are not an issue it is no big deal. But for me, they are a concern. Also, the reason why Regent cancelled is objectionable: it is, as has been pointed out, UNRELATED TO THE POD issue. It is for Regent's change of scheduling preferences.

If I had it within my power, I would put Joan and joe on any cruise they wanted, anywhere, and eat the difference in cost. Regent won;t because they are very cheap and, yes, from my most recent, lengthy (2 12 month) cruise with them, not the luxury cruise line I had expected from what I had read or been told about from its long time regular passengers. For the prices they charge, I expected a lot more service and not something more like a "mass market" cruise line. It was not luxury, and that is the fault of management, all the way to the top. I also keep "moving up the cruise ship ranks" for more personalized service and a special experience, and I thought I would find it with Oceania and then Regent, but both are "dumbing down" those characteristics, in my opinion.

TC, let me correct you on two things. Crystal only has one ship that has the POD and would be the Serenity and I have never heard of any vibration issues. The Symphony has regular engines.

Crystal puts out their schedule a year in advance and I have never heard of them changing it in my seventeen cruises with them. Perhaps a port missed because of weather or a port strike.

Having spent 25 years in the airline business I know that communication to the customer was first and foremost. When a customer does not hear anything that will certainly piss them off and that includes cruise lines or any service industry.

The Voyager guests may be getting a refund for their spoiled vacation but many of them cannot rearrange their vacation plans. Example: We have a house sitter who gets paid to take care of our home and pets. She is paid when she shows up on departure date and it is non-refundable. Who do I go after to recoup that money the cruise line? Not!

The bottom line is that Regent has failed to communicate to their valued customers and most importantly keep them. Regent could have offered a full refund credit for any cruise of equal value plus a onboard credit with no time limits to use it. More flexibility for the guest.

I agree about the time limits, they should give customers time to use a FCC.

But it's my perception that quite a few cruises get cancelled. (Ok, maybe not Crystal, enough about Crystal, and why are we talking about pods at all in this thread?) It's a risk we all take when we book, especially that far in advance.

So I'm sympathetic to those who can't just change their plans, but come on guys, this is more than a year in advance we're talking. It's not a tragedy.

Sorry - I didn't mean to create a fuss... It was just that I don't think that saying that something "sucks" and something else is "crappy" is very polite, even when one is angry. Perhaps I am a bit old fashioned, but I do think one can make one's point - and indeed express one's very upset feelings - without resorting to this kind of thing. Indeed, sometimes the point is made more strongly if one makes every effort to stay as polite as possible!!

(And maybe it is also because I am not only somewhat old fashioned, but also English?...)

Cruises do get cancelled all of the time for a variety of reasons. As Wendy said, this is hardly a tragedy. You don't have to be on a cruise ship in order for your vacation to be ruined. . . . . I also feel badly for the people who planned to vacation in Paris the past couple of weeks, those affected by the volcanic ash, by strikes and rioting in Athens. . . . the list goes on and on.

We are disappointed by the cancellation of our 11/28/2011 cruise. We selected and booked it within 24 hours of receiving the 2011 Regent brochure. We realize that this could have happened on any cruise line. We're booked on the other transatlantic cruise, don't love the itinerary, but, will enjoy the cruise.

What posters on CruiseCritic that are not affected by these cancellations do not hear about (due to the way Regent chooses to communicate) is how much we are actually hearing from Regent through our TA. Since the cancellation of our cruise, there has been emails going in all directions. . . . . we know exactly what is going on and what our options are. I feel it is important for others to be aware of this.

P.S. Not sure what the lack of vibration on a Crystal ship has to do with anything. My pod references had to do with cruise ship lines that have had difficulties with pods in the last couple of years. :confused:

Cruises do get cancelled all of the time for a variety of reasons. As Wendy said, this is hardly a tragedy. You don't have to be on a cruise ship in order for your vacation to be ruined. . . . . I also feel badly for the people who planned to vacation in Paris the past couple of weeks, those affected by the volcanic ash, by strikes and rioting in Athens. . . . the list goes on and on.

We are disappointed by the cancellation of our 11/28/2011 cruise. We selected and booked it within 24 hours of receiving the 2011 Regent brochure. We realize that this could have happened on any cruise line. We're booked on the other transatlantic cruise, don't love the itinerary, but, will enjoy the cruise.

What posters on CruiseCritic that are not affected by these cancellations do not hear about (due to the way Regent chooses to communicate) is how much we are actually hearing from Regent through our TA. Since the cancellation of our cruise, there has been emails going in all directions. . . . . we know exactly what is going on and what our options are. I feel it is important for others to be aware of this.

P.S. Not sure what the lack of vibration on a Crystal ship has to do with anything. My pod references had to do with cruise ship lines that have had difficulties with pods in the last couple of years. :confused:

TC

As you know not all TAs are the same and i think some are "favored" by Regent in some respects or,frankly,are just better TAs! We just moved from Chicago to Seattle so may see you on a flight too a Regent cruise some day!

TC

As you know not all TAs are the same and i think some are "favored" by Regent in some respects or,frankly,are just better TAs! We just moved from Chicago to Seattle so may see you on a flight too a Regent cruise some day!

Welcome to Washington -- hope you enjoy it here.:)

Yes, some TA's are just better than others. I'm not sure that some TA's are "favored" by Regent. . . . some just do a whole lot more business with them than others. It is always best to find a TA that specializes in luxury cruising.

am so happy we had the opportunity to complete world cruises when regent had them, they are a very special trip. I think it is really a shame that they are being cancelled.

Many of the full wcers who go every year live in fl or east coast, many are elderly and most just don't like long flights. The 2011 wc got all messed up when they decided to end it in southhampton instead of fll plus it was getting too long hence so many opted for soam trip instead.

Frank del rio, please don't turn regent into a cruise line we will no longer recognize.

diddo~

Welcome to Washington -- hope you enjoy it here.:)

Yes, some TA's are just better than others. I'm not sure that some TA's are "favored" by Regent. . . . some just do a whole lot more business with them than others. It is always best to find a TA that specializes in luxury cruising.

I'll drink to that!!

What posters on CruiseCritic that are not affected by these cancellations do not hear about (due to the way Regent chooses to communicate) is how much we are actually hearing from Regent through our TA. Since the cancellation of our cruise, there has been emails going in all directions. . . . . we know exactly what is going on and what our options are. I feel it is important for others to be aware of this. :confused:

If you have received emails, we'd appreciate it if you would share the gist of the contents. We received two emails, both yesterday, and have no information other than as in post #40. We haven't heard of any options other than a $500 FCC, and we don't yet know the time period for using the FCC.

If you have received emails, we'd appreciate it if you would share the gist of the contents. We received two emails, both yesterday, and have no information other than as in post #40. We haven't heard of any options other than a $500 FCC, and we don't yet know the time period for using the FCC.

Actually, most of the emails have been regarding our switch to the Mariner crossing. Nothing has really changed in terms of what Regent if offering to those of us who were booked on the cancelled cruise. Still feel strongly that you should be offered a special offer on the March crossing.

I am surprised and, frankly, amazed at the posters who are so forgiving, sanguine and cavalier about Regent canceling this cruise. Sure, it was a year away, but some of us had planned on taking that specific cruise. i can tell you from personal experience over the past 2 days that it is not that simple to just rebook another cruise, particularly at or near the same cost and/or itinerary. THe March TA on the Mariner is sold out is similar categories. I can't take the one they suggested we replace it with (a week earlier, also TG week). The rest of their cruises, as Joanandjoe mentioned, are in/to the Carribean, Canada/New England, Alaska (where I live), or considerably more expensive. This cruise also had a 50% single supplement, which most others do not. Perhaps if money and time are not an issue it is no big deal. But for me, they are a concern. Also, the reason why Regent cancelled is objectionable: it is, as has been pointed out, UNRELATED TO THE POD issue. It is for Regent's change of scheduling preferences.

If I had it within my power, I would put Joan and joe on any cruise they wanted, anywhere, and eat the difference in cost. Regent won;t because they are very cheap and, yes, from my most recent, lengthy (2 12 month) cruise with them, not the luxury cruise line I had expected from what I had read or been told about from its long time regular passengers. For the prices they charge, I expected a lot more service and not something more like a "mass market" cruise line. It was not luxury, and that is the fault of management, all the way to the top. I also keep "moving up the cruise ship ranks" for more personalized service and a special experience, and I thought I would find it with Oceania and then Regent, but both are "dumbing down" those characteristics, in my opinion.

Well, all I can say is that my very first scheduled cruise on Regent back in 2000 on the Navigator was canceled, months before, and certainly not more than a year ahead of time like this one that I had also booked. Fortunately, I was new to cruising and just re-scheduled with their generous Future Cruise Credit. Had I felt the way you do, I would not have continued to enjoy a very long and productive (27 cruises so far) relationship with them. Just curious, is there another luxury cruise line that you have cruised that suits you? I really think you are perhaps being a bit harsh on Regent in this particular situation, so far ahead of the cruise, but of course that is your choice to take your cruising dollars elsewhere. Especially since you didn't seem to impressed with them on your last cruise, I guess I am curious as to why you rebooked with them to begin with.

Well, all I can say is that my very first scheduled cruise on Regent back in 2000 on the Navigator was canceled, months before, and certainly not more than a year ahead of time like this one that I had also booked. Fortunately, I was new to cruising and just re-scheduled with their generous Future Cruise Credit. Had I felt the way you do, I would not have continued to enjoy a very long and productive (27 cruises so far) relationship with them. Just curious, is there another luxury cruise line that you have cruised that suits you? I really think you are perhaps being a bit harsh on Regent in this particular situation, so far ahead of the cruise, but of course that is your choice to take your cruising dollars elsewhere. Especially since you didn't seem to impressed with them on your last cruise, I guess I am curious as to why you rebooked with them to begin with.

JHP - can you recall how generous that FCC back in 2000 was that has kept you coming back? Just curious what they offered back then that made you a good client.

As we were just on the 10/3 Voyager cruise to nowhere that somewhat wrecked our vacation, we're still surprised at minimal $1K offer FCC that is ~10% of what we paid for the cruise. Unfortunately it is not enough to keep us coming back even though we quite like Regent and have achieved their gold level. A year in advance cancellation does not bother me as much either (and we were ironically booked on that canceled transatlantic for Nov 2011 also), but for very close to or especially on the actual departure date, the restitution should in my mind be much higher if the line wants to keep its loyal customers. Am I alone in this feeling?

JHP - can you recall how generous that FCC back in 2000 was that has kept you coming back? Just curious what they offered back then that made you a good client.

As we were just on the 10/3 Voyager cruise to nowhere that somewhat wrecked our vacation, we're still surprised at minimal $1K offer FCC that is ~10% of what we paid for the cruise. Unfortunately it is not enough to keep us coming back even though we quite like Regent and have achieved their gold level. A year in advance cancellation does not bother me as much either (and we were ironically booked on that canceled transatlantic for Nov 2011 also), but for very close to or especially on the actual departure date, the restitution should in my mind be much higher if the line wants to keep its loyal customers. Am I alone in this feeling?

Yes have to agree with Shipless on this one. We were on this cruise to nowhere as well, a year's planning, scheduling, anticipation down the drain after getting on board and unpacking, talk about rubbing salt in the wound... and we get $1k as an offer? We don't have the luxury of taking another vacation in the next few months, so what we are just out of luck? We don't begrudge those who were fortunately able to take advantage of Regent's other short-term offer but not all of us have that flexibility. Hardly seems a comparable offer at least as we see it.

• 2 weeks later...

We too were on Nov 28th Voyager and have switched to Nov 20th Mariner. Only disappointment was I had purposely booked Cat C for the aft facing suites on Voyager. Now we are on port side by stairway. Still got the free night which will now be in Rome with transfers. We really like the Horizon Lounge on Mariner for pre dinner drinks as view of ship's wake is wonderful. Hopefully some of our Voyager crewmembers who were on the 2010 WC with us will be on Mariner then.

• 3 weeks later...

We were booked on the Nov 12 2011 Voyager from Safaga to Barcelona and continuing on to Fort Lauderdale.

After cancellation of the Barcelona-Ft. Laud run, we were offered a $750 pp FCC since we had both legs. And, because we had the joint booking, if we wanted to remain on the first leg to Barcelona, we had to cancel and rebook.

They immediately refunded to our credit card and we did rebook. The only minor downside is that since we live in the Miami area, we now had to pay the Business class surcharge to get home from Barcelona.

The upside is that we can't wait for the cruise as we are almost Gold members and this indicates how much we love Regent.

As a test, we booked a last minute 11 night New England -Canada on the Crystal Symphony a few months ago.

The food was good...the ship is beautiful, but not for us. The cabins are mostly 202 Sq. feet. This in itself is not the worse thing, but the layout is poorly designed. The best safety feature is in the bathroom. It is so small, you can't fall down. The seating throughout the ship is very uncomfortable and the lighting in the cabin is so bad it is impossible to read...that is if there were even a decent seat to recline in.

We know there is no free lunch, but for us, the idea of not having to reach into your pocket for virtually anything is our thing. And contrary to some of the posts criticizing the included excursions, we like them as we probably wouldn't be tempted to go on as many if we had to pay individually, regardless of the end cost analysis.

To put my comments into perspective, we have been cruising for more than 45 years...

We were booked on the Nov 12 2011 Voyager from Safaga to Barcelona and continuing on to Fort Lauderdale.

After cancellation of the Barcelona-Ft. Laud run, we were offered a $750 pp FCC since we had both legs. And, because we had the joint booking, if we wanted to remain on the first leg to Barcelona, we had to cancel and rebook.

They immediately refunded to our credit card and we did rebook. The only minor downside is that since we live in the Miami area, we now had to pay the Business class surcharge to get home from Barcelona.

The upside is that we can't wait for the cruise as we are almost Gold members and this indicates how much we love Regent.

As a test, we booked a last minute 11 night New England -Canada on the Crystal Symphony a few months ago.

The food was good...the ship is beautiful, but not for us. The cabins are mostly 202 Sq. feet. This in itself is not the worse thing, but the layout is poorly designed. The best safety feature is in the bathroom. It is so small, you can't fall down. The seating throughout the ship is very uncomfortable and the lighting in the cabin is so bad it is impossible to read...that is if there were even a decent seat to recline in.

We know there is no free lunch, but for us, the idea of not having to reach into your pocket for virtually anything is our thing. And contrary to some of the posts criticizing the included excursions, we like them as we probably wouldn't be tempted to go on as many if we had to pay individually, regardless of the end cost analysis.

To put my comments into perspective, we have been cruising for more than 45 years...

Really appreciate being able to read your input and agree that Regent is a wonderful cruise line. We became "Gold" last year and do appreciate the benefits it provides. The one area we do not necessarily agree is excursions. When you have been to a port more than once, we do not really want to go on an excursion. And, despite what some say, we do pay more for the ultra-inclusivity.

• 2 weeks later...
Really appreciate being able to read your input and agree that Regent is a wonderful cruise line. We became "Gold" last year and do appreciate the benefits it provides. The one area we do not necessarily agree is excursions. When you have been to a port more than once, we do not really want to go on an excursion. And, despite what some say, we do pay more for the ultra-inclusivity.

We are also booked on the Voyager for the Safaga to Barcelona cruise 12/11, and agree whoeheartately with you Responder. This will be only our third Regent cruise and we have continued cruising with other lines during that time.

When we look back on our vacations it is the Regent experience that we especially remember with warmth and happy feeelings, the price long since forgotten.

The wonderful staff, the comfort of the ships, the care of the seamen and just the ease of not having to worry about daily budgeting or end of cruise bills are really more appreciated each time we get off a competitor's ship - all of which are fine in their own way - just not Regent. I appreciate for long time Regent travellers that there will be declines, but it seems unforunately that is true of everything, or is that a sign of a life well lived.

Archived