We just got CANCELLED for Nov. 28, 2011 on Voyager.

kennetro

Having been loyal to "other" lines for so many years, we booked Regent for our very first time. We've heard & read so many "good" things about them & we were hoping to find a new "favorite" line for our retirement years. Yes, we realize that there have been some major "pod" & rudder problems (causing some current cruise cancelations) but we are having a real hard time understanding WHY they would cancel a cruise that's still WELL OVER A YEAR OUT! ????

Needless to say, I'll probably be shopping the competition's itineraries & schedules for a while this evening...... Sorry it worked out like this, Regent.

It must be because they intend for the ship to go into dry dock, either for refurbishing, mechanical maintenance or so on. This is done all the time by all cruise lines, and they schedule those well ahead. Sorry you're disappointed, but the good news is that you have lots of time to find an ideal itinerary. Good luck.

Funny you should mention that COLONEL, as we've already re-booked on the Mariner crossing out of Rome --- even if only as a "place-holder" until we can "look around" tonight. Who knows? We may be "toasting" with you soon in Roma!

Not a pod problem, but a change in schedules. This from the body of the letter, and passengers are given a choice of taking a $500 FCC, or being booked on the Mariner 8 days earlier.

Since the original announcement and communication of our 2011 schedule, we have made some refinements to Seven Seas Voyager’s schedule at the end of 2011 to accommodate the beginning of her 2012 winter season of cruises in the Far East. As a result, her November 28, 2011 transatlantic voyage has been cancelled.

The Voyager is coming out with a new schedule for that timeframe on Monday. We have already rebooked for the Mariner crossing. It is interesting how one's mind works. . . at first there was no way we were going to change as we recently did the ports the Mariner is stopping at. An hour later we contacted our TA to book it. Must give credit to the TA's out there . . . . they are a lot on their plates right now.

P.S. We do not have a lot of time to look for a new itinerary. . . . around 3 weeks.

TC2, obviously the last comment I made to you on another thread about the "free hotel room" in Barcelona doesn't apply. I'll be looking forward to your review of the Mariner.

We won't be joining the Mariner as we had also booked the segment before the crossing. We'll take a look at things on Monday when Regent comes out with the new schedule.

Don, hopefully we will enjoy the Marina for the maiden crossing in Jan. We have very good Silversea friends that want us to book the Cloud TA next November...alas, disembarking Barbados is a nightmare to fly out of. Will ponder our options.

TC2, obviously the last comment I made to you on another thread about the "free hotel room" in Barcelona doesn't apply. I'll be looking forward to your review of the Mariner.

We won't be joining the Mariner as we had also booked the segment before the crossing. We'll take a look at things on Monday when Regent comes out with the new schedule.

It's hard to keep up with things. I just was explaining about the "free hotel room" in Barcelona to my DH only an hour before the cruise was cancelled. I suspect that the Voyager will be heading towards the Far East. think I need a map for this one.

You're all absolutely right. It's not the end of the world! I just realized we'd already booked our next cruise just 3 months afterward (& will have just been on another one a few months BEFOREHAND too!), so obviously I need to "GROW UP" & be grateful to God for my BLESSINGS, rather than whining. Forgive me, all. (& especially YOU, God!) :-)

I was booked on this cruise also; my TA delivered the news of its cancellation earlier. I just got off the phone with Regent, and the reason it was cancelled IS because the Voyager is being repositioned for sailings in the Far East, to begin in early December, 2011. As far as I am concerned, this sucks. I cannot go on the Mariner a week earlier, as it is Thanksgiving, and my family has a get together planned. It is also a different cruise: not the ports I was i

interested in. I was just in them with Oceania exactly a year ago.

This cancellation also comes on the heels of two major itinerary revisions on 2 of 3 back to back Oceania trips I am taking, the first of which begins in a few weeks, so this is not what I wanted or needed to deal with when I am getting ready to be gone for 3 1/2 months: figuring out what to substitute for the cancelled Regent trip, as I need to do so to use my "Machu Picchu" credit by the end of 2011. I think it is a crappy reason to cancel the cruise and just reinforces my current opinion of management of these 2 lines. I sailed on the Mariner for its 2 1/2 month South America trip, so I am/was not a "first time traveler" with Regent for this now-cancelled trip.

Voyager has traditionally done a Christmas cruise followed by a westward bound Trans Panama Canal sailing for New Years. This latter cruise has also served as a prelude to the World Cruise. What I find intriguing about all of these partially announced changes is the idea that Voyager must not be doing A World Cruise. As you may have noticied, the WC for 2011 has rec'd little promotion and if you read any materials, simply is not being touted as particularly special, no excitement building,etc. Does anyone have any information on this?

You're all absolutely right. It's not the end of the world! I just realized we'd already booked our next cruise just 3 months afterward (& will have just been on another one a few months BEFOREHAND too!), so obviously I need to "GROW UP" & be grateful to God for my BLESSINGS, rather than whining. Forgive me, all. (& especially YOU, God!) :-)

I appreciate the thought, but it doesn't help us. We've been talking about a TA for seven or eight years, and we finally decided to spring for it. We can't take take any vacation that includes Thanksgiving--we MUST be home for our handicapped son--so the Mariner TA is out. Anything we can afford is either to the Caribbean, which we dislike, or Canada/New England, which we've done three times and have no desire to do again. Basically, we're SOL, and won't be able to rebook on Regent. This was to be our only cruise in 2010 or 2011.

Voyager has traditionally done a Christmas cruise followed by a westward bound Trans Panama Canal sailing for New Years. This latter cruise has also served as a prelude to the World Cruise. What I find intriguing about all of these partially announced changes is the idea that Voyager must not be doing A World Cruise. As you may have noticied, the WC for 2011 has rec'd little promotion and if you read any materials, simply is not being touted as particularly special, no excitement building,etc. Does anyone have any information on this?

I heard a rumor a few months back (honestly do not remember where -- undoubtedly it was on these boards) that stated that there would not be a World Cruise in 2012. Since the Voyager is going to be in the Far East during the beginning of 2012, either the Mariner will be doing the World Cruise or :confused::confused:

P.S. And, for those that can transfer to the Mariner next year, we did Thanksgiving on the Voyager in 2009 -- it was truly wonderful. They even had a parade and played songs from the U.S. and had an international buffet in the atrium area. "JoanandJoe", is there any chance you could take your son on the cruise? It would make wonderful Thanksgiving!

I appreciate the thought, but it doesn't help us. We've been talking about a TA for seven or eight years, and we finally decided to spring for it. We can't take take any vacation that includes Thanksgiving--we MUST be home for our handicapped son--so the Mariner TA is out. Anything we can afford is either to the Caribbean, which we dislike, or Canada/New England, which we've done three times and have no desire to do again. Basically, we're SOL, and won't be able to rebook on Regent. This was to be our only cruise in 2010 or 2011.

Joan & Joe I really am sorry for your situation (& in NO way meant to minimalize the hassles of re-booking!). I hope you find something even BETTER, even if on another line. Sounds like you DESERVE time away. Hope to meet you two some day.....I hope you also enjoy MANY, MANY wonderful Thanksgivings with your son! That's what REAL life's about anyway! All best to you.

Joanandjoe, I have been checking cruises on Silversea, Oceania, Seabourn, and SeaDream just to look at different options that might provide us with something similar to what we had planned. There could be some options available to you on one of those lines if Regent is ruled out. As all of our cruises are being cancelled from Regent's system as of tomorrow (so the letter says) and "refunds will be issued to your original form of payment"; I presume the refunds will be processed tomorrow. I truly hope that you find something that will work for you. Best wishes.

We believe that it will still be a great cruise. Actually, the Mariner handles rougher seas a bit better than the Voyager. We were also disappointed when we first heard about the cancellation. . . . but decided to take the lemons and make lemonade!:)

The Mariner is usually off on the Latin American cruise at the beginning of January. if Voyager is in the Far East, as it seems, then is she going there direct from Europe which would make most sense?? Anyway what does jump out at me from all of this is the statement that Regent will come out with a revised schedule for the Voyager on Monday. Interesting because this is about the time that one would expect the 2012 cruise calendar to be announced...

The only other thing I would like to add if I might is that when posting, people should make a bit of an effort to watch the language they use. One post in particular used mildly offensive language (at least in my opinion!!)

Joanandjoe, I have been checking cruises on Silversea, Oceania, Seabourn, and SeaDream just to look at different options that might provide us with something similar to what we had planned. There could be some options available to you on one of those lines if Regent is ruled out.

I looked at the above options and also Crystal Cruises. Lisbon to Miami Dec.8 to 21st .... just another option.

So far haven't booked anything, waiting for Monday, but not holding my breath.

The only other thing I would like to add if I might is that when posting, people should make a bit of an effort to watch the language they use. One post in particular used mildly offensive language (at least in my opinion!!)

My sincere apologies. I will be more cautious in the future. :o

I had heard elsewhere that many stalwart World cruisers had opted this year for the Grand Circle SA because the WC was just too long. (I have often personally thought that if we could ever do something like this that a shorter trip, or several segments of a longer trip would be enough for us. At 71 nights the GC is plenty long I think.)

So perhaps Regent is rejigging this concept to focus on Asia which was probably the most popular part of the WC. Change is not always bad.

It will be interesting to see what new journeys they add for this timeframe on Voyager--if it's a repo they will probably go back thru the Suez which could be really amazing.

Archived