We just got CANCELLED for Nov. 28, 2011 on Voyager.

kennetro

I believe that Regent simply makes more money on the segments and this has informed their decision to drop the glamor of the WC as well as the gentlemen hosts. I have heard...but cannot confirm, that clergy have also been eliminated ....and many 'guest' entertainers as they utilize their in house production company more and more. Since we are on a 25 day segment of this upcoming WC, I can tell you that very few special guests or features are being advertised.

Am so happy we had the opportunity to complete World cruises when Regent had them, they are a very special trip. I think it is really a shame that they are being cancelled.

Many of the full WCers who go every year live in FL or East coast, many are elderly and most just don't like long flights. The 2011 WC got all messed up when they decided to end it in Southhampton instead of FLL plus it was getting too long hence so many opted for SoAm trip instead.

Frank Del Rio, please don't turn Regent into a cruise line we will no longer recognize.

Frank Del Rio, please don't turn Regent into a cruise line we will no longer recognize.

I am sorry to say that I think this is precisely what is happening. With the increase in fares and the loading on of included hotels, included excursions, etc., Regent is (I think) appealing to the novice traveler. So doing, and if my sense of the situation is at all typical, Regent is turning off experienced travelers who are quite capable of taking taxis from the airport (without waiting for a bus to load), booking their own hotels pre-cruise at less than $600 per couple per night, getting their own breakfast (perhaps at a charming nearby cafe rather than in an overpriced hotel dining room), exploring ports independently, etc.

I have spent many nights on Regent and enjoy the product. However, I am not willing to pay for add-ons I do not need/want and that I prefer to find on my own without "Mother Regent" taking care of me (at a price!) from the cruise-equivalent of cradle to grave. I am an adult and value my independence. I am sorry if this comes off as "negativity," but I am disappointed. I may be alone in having this perspective.

I am sorry to say that I think this is precisely what is happening. With the increase in fares and the loading on of included hotels, included excursions, etc., Regent is (I think) appealing to the novice traveler. So doing, and if my sense of the situation is at all typical, Regent is turning off experienced travelers who are quite capable of taking taxis from the airport (without waiting for a bus to load), booking their own hotels pre-cruise at less than $600 per couple per night, getting their own breakfast (perhaps at a charming nearby cafe rather than in an overpriced hotel dining room), exploring ports independently, etc.

I have spent many nights on Regent and enjoy the product. However, I am not willing to pay for add-ons I do not need/want and that I prefer to find on my own without "Mother Regent" taking care of me (at a price!) from the cruise-equivalent of cradle to grave. I am an adult and value my independence. I am sorry if this comes off as "negativity," but I am disappointed. I may be alone in having this perspective.

You are not alone.

If the "offensive language" referred to is mine, I apologize as well, though it's fairly common vernacular. And I was pretty upset. Still am. I should just take a deep breath and wait before I press the "Post reply" key. My heart goes out to Joanandjoe, though. Perhaps the March 2011 TA crossing on the Mariner?

I agree with petlover and sea lover; an extended World Cruise on a smaller ship such as the Voyager is a wonderful experience. The camaraderie that develops among the passengers and crew -- and the loyalty to the cruise line -- is truly special. And, in my opinion, under appreciated.

However, it appears the handwriting is on the wall: that these unique cruises are going to be something in the Regent's past. Life will go on, but it's a shame that the concept of a true circumnavigation might no longer be in RSSC's playbook.

I feel extremely fortunate to have done two Regent WC's and had hoped that down the pier one more would have been in my future.

Yes...exactly how we feel too.

If the "offensive language" referred to is mine, I apologize as well, though it's fairly common vernacular. And I was pretty upset. Still am. I should just take a deep breath and wait before I press the "Post reply" key. My heart goes out to Joanandjoe, though. Perhaps the March 2011 TA crossing on the Mariner?

If we were the offending ones, we apologize. We tried to amend the post, but it was too late.

The March 2011 TA would be great; but it's sold out except in the higher categories. The cost is simply too high.

With the increase in fares, it's interesting how the different categories of people got treated. C and higher could rebook the same category on the Mariner TA at no additional charge, and with a $250 per person credit, ot accept $500 per person. D and below simply got a $500 cruise credit. With a fare increase and the fact that our category is sold out on the Mariner, we would have to pay additional money to switch to the Mariner TA. Most cruises other than a TA would cost us too much; and anyway, a TA is something we wanted and haven't done.

Regent's offer is totally unfair and inadequate.

MARK CONROY, ARE YOU READING THIS THREAD?

As we noted in our prior post, we simply cannot do the Mariner TA in any event. If Regent wants to keep us as customers, they'll have to make us a better offer, such as allowing us to switch, without charge, to whatever cruise replaces the Voyager TA. Otherwise, Regent has probably lost us as customers.

Hawaii or the Grand Canyon, here we come!

If saying "SOL" is considered mildly offensive, then I throw my hands up!

I'm totally with you on that one! I re-read this thread 3 times and couldn't find one single thing that was even mildly offensive. :confused:

On my first Radisson cruise, I was originally booked on Navigator in Cat F. They changed itinerary from Ft Lauderdale to LA to Ft Lauderdale to Callao; totally unacceptable to us. We decided to move to Mariner in Caribbean instead. As Cat F was lowest category that we could get opposing cabins, we were able to talk Radisson into giving us the Cat F for Cat H price.

For those making the transfer from the Voyager to Mariner, I would demand the price of your same category at the price that was in effect at the time that you originally booked. I see no reason that Regent would not respond positively to such a request.

Marc

If saying "SOL" is considered mildly offensive, then I throw my hands up!

I had to look it up on Google so I could decide if I should be offended too. I'm not :rolleyes:

Seriously, is Regent really diluting its product so rapidly and obviously? I have found that as each cruiseline dumbs down I am forced further up the ladder and I was told that Regent is pretty much on the top rung. I will find out for myself in Feb (assuming Voyager is working OK then). I understand that they are trying to run a profitable business in difficult economic times but scaring away their loyal customer base makes no economic sense at all. Once those people are gone the cruiseline will have no choice but to cut corners in order to attract a different demographic so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

While I certainly sympathise with the cruisers who got cancelled for next November and lack flexibility in their schedules (I still have the same problem myself so believe me, I know where you're coming from)....I think you aren't giving full credit to Regent. They have given you OVER ONE YEAR to find something else, they are willing to REFUND ALL your money or they are offering you an ALTERNATE cruise AND they are giving you FCC.

Not that long ago, Oprah Winfrey decided to treat her employees to a holiday cruise as a bonus for their hard work and chartered one of the mass market ships. All of the pax who had booked on that cruise were given just a couple of months notice that their sailing was canceled. Do you know how hard it is to find a holiday cruise with cabins available just a few months before departure??

There are many, many, many cruise ships sailing our lovely waters ~ I'm quite sure you will all be able to find a suitable replacement option with just a little bit of investigation. And I wouldn't give up on Regent ;)

I have to laugh at everyone apologizing. :D Clearly it was my post on another thread in which I said "bit**ing". Now just to be very immature for a minute, TravelCat said it first. ;) :D Tee Hee. Host Dan must have deleted all our posts in which we used potty mouths.

Sorry to intrude on the thread, and again my sincere apologies. Oh, and just a quick thanks to Miles (Suite Travels) for the character reference. You're a very sweet rascal (when you want to be). :p Do carry on.

Joanandjoe, I do so hope Regent reads of your individual and unique circumstances, and decide to do right by you. Otherwise, Hawaii and Grand Canyon are both gorgeous!

edited to add that this is how egotistical I must be. . .I assumed you were speaking of me, Miles when you gave the character reference, but reading back, you were speaking of the SOL comment made by Joanandjoe. Still, I'm the guilty one, trust me.

Teresa, was not offended (mildly) on anything you posted, in fact, over the last few months your post (red on blue) was what many of us are thinking--regarding the shoe that fit absolutely perfectly.

Cruzndiz, Not to be arguementative or adversarial, but just how excited or grateful are folks supposed to be when they get a REFUND of ALL of their fares when the cruise line cancels the cruise??? Does anything else seem legal or just or reasonable?

Cancelled trips of all sorts do indeed happen and hopefully with so much advance notice ieveryone will be able to find a suitable vacation venue, cruise or otherwise.

I am not suggesting that everyone 'give up' on Regent but with all of these problems, itinerary and schedule changes, I also am not suggesting that folks automatically re-up.

I have a lot to say (what else is new?) We are affected by this cancellation and therefore (finally) have the right to an opinion (at least I hope so)

Cruzndiz: You totally "get it". . . . can't wait to meet you on board the Mariner in January.

MrLevin: What you went through with the failed October 3rd cruise is significantly more of an inconvenience than the cancellation of the November 28, 2011 cruise. I do understand where you are coming from.

SuiteTravels: Respectfully, this is not the time nor place to do advertisements for other cruiselines.

mimoto4: A lot of things now make sense since you know SuiteTravels. While he drives me completely crazy with his cheerleading for Crystal, I do believe he is a nice person. And, there is no way you are getting me off of the Regent boards. When the time comes that I no longer have current, pertinent information, I will gracefully (or not) bow out of this board.

room010: I agree with what you have posted. Regent is targeting a different domographic and we either live with it or go elsewhere.

I have no comment regarding an offensive statement. What is offensive to some is not offensive to others. I did not read the comment prior to it being removed from the thread.

All of us who are affected by recent cancellations receive different offers -- probably based upon the amount of disruption and anguish these cancellations caused. Obviously, a cancellation of a cruise that is 13 months away is less of a disruption in your life that than a cruise that cancelled after flying to the port, boarding the ship, etc.

If I were in charge of the situation, I would definitely make special consideration to Joanand Joe. They could upgrade someone on the March crossing which would allow them to book the category they want.

This is all very difficult for Regent, for their customers, and certainly for our TA's.

Archived