Rotterdam, 31 Day Sept-Oct Hawaii and South Pacific Trip Report

cwn

I have posted a report of our trip on blogspot with a few pictures. It is day by day so if you just want to read about the ports you need to check the headings and go to older post for the beginning.

Find the report at

www.southpacificsojourn2010.blogspot.com

it is almost up to date and I will add as I can.

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your cruise. This one is in our bucket list; plus we will be sailing on the MS Rotterdam TA next spring.

Enjoy your cruise.

I have posted a report of our trip on blogspot with a few pictures. It is day by day so if you just want to read about the ports you need to check the headings and go to older post for the beginning.

Find the report at

Would love to do that cruise! Really enjoying reading your travelogue!

Jeff

Ahoy cwn!

Thanks so much for the write up and pix. I look forward to further entries.

We also used Ugo during our port stop in Rangiora this past January and had a different experience. I went ahead and rented the entire boat for the Blu Lagoon Tour and had some great CC folks join us for a total of 12.

Although it was an overcast day with rain squalls popping up every now and then it all turned out great. Of course 'our group' had brought along bottles of wine (complimentary ones from problems we had aboard the ship at the time:the Rotterdam had had a recent retrofit, plus beers that we had aquired during the ship's two for one Happy Hours).

Needless to say, there was a party sort of attitude by the time we made our way back to the ship. The cost seemed to be around $105 PP if I recall and your quite right that our boat crew did not speak English (fortunately my wife speaks enough French & Spanish so we got by okay).

We really didn't meet Ugo until the end of the tour when headed back to the tender dock where he collected money for the tour. He had taken some folks up to the Pink Sands Beach tour in a smaller boat that day so he was not part of our boat crew.

Regardless, we all had a great time even with the overcast weather and such & I'm sorry you had problems with the logistics.

For those contemplating the Rotterdam HI/FP cruise (and if interested), the links below my signature (Picasa) has some pix of the tour (scroll down to the Rangiora, Jan. 25, 2010 album) plus other ports we called on.

There's also a link to "Current CC Review" under my signature which is rather lengthly but describes some of the things we did in various ports. I booked pretty much private tours at each port and had a great (dare I say wonderful) group of folks that joined the tours. Many of us have become friends since that time.

Again, I'm sorry you had a bad time with Ugo but hope the rest of your cruise was great.

May your next cruise be another GREAT ONE!

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

Find the report at

Thanks for the pictures and information on your cruise. We are going on the same cruise in January 2011 so I was interested in your tours. We have a few tours already arranged with CC members. The Rangiroa tour didnt sound to good and I had a chuckle when you explained your return trip I can just imagine big waves on a small boat and then the dolphins appear.

I think some of these small island tours just take on to much, their tours are not cheap and not organised properly. We have not got any tour arranged for Rangiroa, the Pink sands sounds lovely but dont fancy the long journey in a small boat. What was the Nuku Hiva trip like? I contacted a tour company and they wanted $150 for a tour with a local lunch which sounded quite expensive. If you have any recommendations on any of your tours , would you let me know.

Thanks for the pictures and information on your cruise. We are going on the same cruise in January 2011 so I was interested in your tours. We have a few tours already arranged with CC members. The Rangiroa tour didnt sound to good and I had a chuckle when you explained your return trip I can just imagine big waves on a small boat and then the dolphins appear.

I think some of these small island tours just take on to much, their tours are not cheap and not organised properly. We have not got any tour arranged for Rangiroa, the Pink sands sounds lovely but dont fancy the long journey in a small boat. What was the Nuku Hiva trip like? I contacted a tour company and they wanted $150 for a tour with a local lunch which sounded quite expensive. If you have any recommendations on any of your tours , would you let me know.

I believe the OP is still at sea so it may take a few days before you get a response.

Always amazes me that a wonderful blog like this gets so few responses whereas some inane review or subject gets all the attention.

Ahoy cwn!

We also used Ugo during our port stop in Rangiora this past January and had a different experience. I went ahead and rented the entire boat for the Blu Lagoon Tour and had some great CC folks join us for a total of 12.

Although it was an overcast day with rain squalls popping up every now and then it all turned out great. Of course 'our group' had brought along bottles of wine (complimentary ones from problems we had aboard the ship at the time:the Rotterdam had had a recent retrofit, plus beers that we had aquired during the ship's two for one Happy Hours).

Needless to say, there was a party sort of attitude by the time we made our way back to the ship. The cost seemed to be around $105 PP if I recall and your quite right that our boat crew did not speak English (fortunately my wife speaks enough French & Spanish so we got by okay).

We really didn't meet Ugo until the end of the tour when headed back to the tender dock where he collected money for the tour. He had taken some folks up to the Pink Sands Beach tour in a smaller boat that day so he was not part of our boat crew.

There's also a link to "Current CC Review" under my signature which is rather lengthly but describes some of the things we did in various ports. I booked pretty much private tours at each port and had a great (dare I say wonderful) group of folks that joined the tours. Many of us have become friends since that time.

Bob, I hope I was included in that "wonderful folks" part! As I recall, the Ugo tour was a great day, in spite of not so great weather; wasn't that the snorkeling area where we saw the Moray Eel, and got the great pics? That day is kind of a blur to me, it was my birthday, and I MIGHT have had a little too much fun...:D I have a cute pic of me driving the boat!

After seeing Antarctica, which it totally different, this was by far, the best cruise. It was the most fun I've ever had snorkeling! Day after day of gorgeous, warm, clear water...ah, wish I was still there! Continue to heal, Bob,

Bob, I hope I was included in that "wonderful folks" part! As I recall, the Ugo tour was a great day, in spite of not so great weather; wasn't that the snorkeling area where we saw the Moray Eel, and got the great pics? That day is kind of a blur to me, it was my birthday, and I MIGHT have had a little too much fun...:D I have a cute pic of me driving the boat!

After seeing Antarctica, which it totally different, this was by far, the best cruise. It was the most fun I've ever had snorkeling! Day after day of gorgeous, warm, clear water...ah, wish I was still there! Continue to heal, Bob,

...silly goose along with Ted & Barb and another couple whom dosen't mess around with the CC board (we met them 4 years ago on an "Elegant Explorer" voyage).

Healing continues to improve with a good blast of Wild Turkey 101 after 1500 hours.

Regarding the expense of port tours down French Polynesia way I wish the one of the prior posters the best of luck in that regard. It ain't like the Caribbean, Mexico itineraries or other second/third world itineraries.

The FP tours are a bit on the pricey side (and can indeed be a bit shocking when you do your researching) for private tours (3-6 folks max, sometimes 12 max for the larger boats /catamarans).

I always figured (regarding the FP itinerary at least) that I'd probably never be visiting some of the ports ever again in my lifetime. We often prefer a 'native' guide for the day for a small small group tour (or even just ourselves) that may or may not include a 'native' lunch and/some local potables. And, yes, the tours are not inexpensive.

Taking one of the cruise ship 'big bus' tours (fairly pricey for what you get IMO), getting a tour on the dock, just taking the local bus (if available), renting a cab or bike or just 'hoofing it' into town or a nearby beach are certainly alternatives in FP.

Anyhow, we don't mind the pricing of the tours but that's what we do. It's JMHO which like most free advise ain't worth much.

Best of luck with whatever tour(s) you select down Polynesia way.

Regardless, Have a WONDERFUL CRUISE! It's a great itinerary.

P.S. Kathi: We'll mis you (and those Indianapolis folks. Enjoy the 28 day (?)Caribbean "Gem" float or what ever you 'guys' are calling it these days. I know you will.

Kiss-kiss, Bob, Judy & Biera

The FP tours are a bit on the pricey side (and can indeed be a bit shocking when you do your researching) for private tours (3-6 folks max, sometimes 12 max for the larger boats /catamarans).

Bob is right about the prices... for example, we stopped to buy a couple of six packs of beer for our Tahiti excursion, at a local market (not a tourist trap) and they wanted $26.00 US for a six pack...that's when we started getting creative about bringing extra wine/beer off the ship with us!

If I was only going to do one private tour, I would do "Patrick's tour" on Bora Bora...EVERYONE on board ship was jealous of us after we returned! It was a great snorkeling/sailing/eating/drinking day, but would have been worth the money, just seeing him and his friends in their thongs:D

We are going on this same cruise in March 2011 and this blog is really getting us excited.

We have a problem. We can only see the entries back to Moorea. How do we find the older posts for the beginning. :confused:

We admit we are handicapped when it comes to computers.

I enjoyed the blog but I guess I just should have read it from last day to first instead of trying to read it from the first day to the last.

Mention was made of shot records. Is this a requirement?

We leave for San Diego January 1. Our cruise starts January 3, 2011

I enjoyed the blog but I guess I just should have read it from last day to first instead of trying to read it from the first day to the last.

Mention was made of shot records. Is this a requirement?

We leave for San Diego January 1. Our cruise starts January 3, 2011

... the folowing vaccinations are recommended ONLY ( & not an entrance requirement) for FP. Here's a link:

http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/french-polynesia.aspx

We've already had a bunch of pre-cruise / land tour vaccinations (and also as "youngsters" during our active military service days) so the old yellow vaccination card hasn't been an issue for us.

To be honest, while being on a cruise ship and having a brief port stop anywhere on the planet the "so-called" recomendations aren't all that important to us (unless a country we're vsisting makes it a requirement for entry). I would only recomend a Tetanus booster to be honest if you haven't had one in awhile. JMHO.

Also, IMO, for the FP HAL port calls (unless you're going to spend any length of time exploring the 'outback' jungles) I wouldn't be too concerned.

Your local guide should know the "skinny" on local conditions and I'm sure you've researched vaccination recomendations on the internet yourself (and, BTW, take then all with a 'grain of salt', as you should including this reply). You should be comfortable with whatever you decide.

Just be sure to take along some DEET spray /wipes for "bug" control, a sun-hat and plenty of water and you should be just fine.

Tourist visa's for FP and Nuku Hiva are pretty easy to aquire (via intenet)which I'm sure your well aware of (although Nuku Hiva can take some time).

:D Sorry, I'm only kidding about the visas. I couldn't help myself.

No visas are required as a US citizen anywhere on the HAL HI/FP itinerary nor are vaccination entry requirements necessary.

Have a WONDERFUL CRUISE! It's a great itinerary with plenty of 'sea days'!

Wow, last time I was able to load the blog to work on it we had had only 41 hits, now it is over 900. Thanks for reading and posting all the nice comments. We did indeed have a good cruise. I will try to get the last few days up tomorrow and make some typo corrections and general comments about the experience on the ship. The internet was spotty, slow and expensive so I was always in a hurry.

Just a couple of comments...

To get to the earilier posts if you haven't figured it out yet, click on "older posts" at the bottom right of the blog. I am going to try to figure out how to get the index of posts down the side set up now that we are home.

Yellow fever and other shots...we were in African countries for an extended time last year...sometines if that is noticed on the passport, the entrying country wants to see proof of the yellow fever shot. We just carry our card in the passport as a "just in case". No shots needed for FP. We will need proof of the shot in Jan when we leave for our Circle South America trip the first week in Jan so we wanted to get out cards replaced before we got involved in the Holidays.

Do carry bug spray if you plan to do any touring in the interiors of the islands. The only place we saw insects was on the Nuku Hiva tour.

As you see we did a combination of ship tours, rented cars, private prearranged tours and tours bought on the dock. Things in FP as just plain expensive, so be prepared!

The ship's tour on Raiatea was really good and there were only twenty of us... max for that tour. I would recommend that one. It was exactly as presented and well run. The ship's other snorkeling tours on the various islands also got rave reviews and seem to be well run from reports we heard.

Rental cars are costly, but a good option for doing your own thing at your own pace. The roads are good and there isn't too much trafic.

As for the private tours we did, they were a bit iffy and we normally do do private tours (as in just the two of us). As I said earlier, 10 of the 28 -30 of us that went through Ugo got what was promised and from all accounds had a great time. The other eight in the uncovered boat that had been promised to be covered were OK with it...they didn't mind being out in the sun all day but....it could have been a real problem. The rest of us made do!

Bob's group of 12 is all that Ugo can handle and deliever, as far as I am concerned....if he needs more space he hires out to less than wonderful small boat owners. I have since learned that his boat for the Pink Sands was having motor problems or some such and never showed....OK, but at least take the time to tell our group that there is a problem and he can't deliever, don't just leave us standing on the dock with no information other than the boat over there will take us to the Pink Sands...as he leaves. We have seen too much of this type of behavior in other places with the private group tours.

We did have a good time on the two tours with the CC group even if the one with Ugo was unsettling.

I will say this about FP as a whole....the water is beautiful to look at and generally very, very clear, the interior of the islands are pretty and the flowers are beautiful, but the sea life is not as good as other places we have been.

Hi, we were on your cruise. Your blog is great. My son and I made a blog about our trip also but its not as nice as yours I'm afraid! :o We wanted to do something to help others with disabilities see how it worked for us. We couldn't go on any shore excursions so we don't have all of the views of the islands as you do. I really enjoyed seeing your photos. If you would like to see our photos http://exploring-the-pacific.blogspot.com/ I looked for cruise critic group in the Crows Nest but just missed you I guess. We had a wonderful trip!

CWN, I have so enjoyed your blog, learning about the ports you visited and the tours you took..... Ians Grandma I love your blog as well, I am about half way through it but it's a wonderful portrayal of this fabulous trip. We are scheduled for the same cruise next Spring. Both of you are really helping me prepare and I so appreciate your sharing.....Thank you both.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for reading our blog and the nice comments!

I am bring this post back up to the first page as there are some recent questions about our cruise and the Rotterdam in gensral.

If you are interested day by day life on the 31 day SP cruise, please read our blog.

As I have said on our Roll Call, here and in the blog, we had a great time! Nothing is ever perfect, but cruising is always good! The Rotterdam is beautiful, the public rooms are very comfotable, there is evening entertainment to suit most every taste, the service-cabin, room service, and dinning room-is very good. If you like an Asian flair to your food you will really enjoy the meals, unfortunately we don't. We did not go hungry by any means, just were unimpressed. The steaks were always well cooked and we loved the chilled soups, the breakfasts, the sandwich and ice cream bars were great...the rest of the food was just OK to us.

We had late seating so the shows and the movie were never full...always had a good seat. We enjoyed the cooking events during the sea days. The crafts and lectures were nice also. The port lecturer had never been to the SP ports and was not really helpful with those details though she was fun to listen too. The computer classes were always full very early so never made one.

We did two ship's tours that were very well done...small groups (20). The rest of the ports we did our own thing plus two CC group tours. Fanning Island and Moorea had the best shopping for what I was looking for.

As many have said the Cruise Dirwctor was a joke. My husband loves trivia and has always gone every time on other cruises, but the CD only allowed four to a team, so he rarely had the same team mates (maybe only he and one other) so he was always on a different team and stopped going. He and several others we met thought there should be at least 6-7 on a team so you could play pretty much as the same team day after day. Just a small thing though. I enjoyed listening to some of the guests at the Coffee Chat in the morning and always enjoyed anything Kat hostessed.

There are a lot of tender ports on this cruise and it was very rough going both the sea and the getting through the crowds. There were two accidents during tendering...this was a first for us in almost 30 cruises. The seas were not that bad...just poor handling skills.

I will agree there were some very rude people on this cruise and I hate to say this but many of them were the older group...! We are in that group and several times I couldn't believe what I was seeing and hearing...

There were some plumbing issues and we had a small problem with the fuel smell one day, but everything was handled very fast for us and wasn't a big deal...there are always issues like that on every ship.

It is a great itinerary and even better for us since it leaves and returns to a port 2 1/2 hours away by air. it is a long cruise with a lot of sea days in a row which we love. if you don't like more than one or two sea days in a row, this is not the cruise for you however.

HAL is not my favorite line, but we will cruise again with them on the Rotterdam or one of her sister ships if the itinerary appeals to us.

We are going on this same cruise in March 2011 and this blog is really getting us excited.

We have a problem. We can only see the entries back to Moorea. How do we find the older posts for the beginning. :confused:

We admit we are handicapped when it comes to computers.

I hope this helps you. Click on latest review under Prescott Bob's signature. He did an extensive review of our trip, including what private vendors we used, and what we thought of them. Hope that helps you.

Archived